Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The modern Wolf games are all excellent. Also Jedi Outcast is pretty good but claiming it's the best of all time is a real stretch of the imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The current Wolfenstein is a great game and a big reason why everyone feels confident about the new Doom.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
despite it being made by a different developer?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alain Post posted:

despite it being made by a different developer?

Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to think that id would take ideas from a company that revived an old franchise with massive success. The single player trailers for Doom remind me of the game a lot.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 26, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

david_a posted:

:aaaaa: My concept of time is probably warped because I was a kid back then, but Strife and Deus Ex being separated by only four years seems insane.

In retrospect things were a lot more exciting in the 90s when things were changing so radically. Doom to Unreal in five years? Crazy.

Yeah it nuts, I think you might be able to get away with releasing a game today that has the same quality of graphics as super-high-end stuff from a decade ago, imagine doing that in 2000!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I think by this point you can legitimately get away with releasing games that look like PS1 level graphics and still get people's dicks rock hard. Imagine if someone tried to make their own Deus Ex now with all the super-streamlined indie workflow tools and piss-easy modelling/texturing.
...except the writing would almost definitely be a hot mess.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My fantasy is to release a Quake 2 engine game one day. Not one based on an enhanced source port, but one based directly on id's GPL release, with only gameplay-related changes or graphical enhancements that would fit right in with the late 90s.

It's less nostalgia for that era of games (though there is some of that) but more nostalgia for the era when big-budget FPS games weren't all that big-budget and were made by small "rock star" teams. Back then I thought it would be so cool to work on an FPS project :blush:

(I was also a teenager who wasn't anywhere near as skilled at programming as I am now though, lol)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

BattleMaster posted:

My fantasy is to release a Quake 2 engine game one day. Not one based on an enhanced source port, but one based directly on id's GPL release, with only gameplay-related changes or graphical enhancements that would fit right in with the late 90s.

It's less nostalgia for that era of games (though there is some of that) but more nostalgia for the era when big-budget FPS games weren't all that big-budget and were made by small "rock star" teams. Back then I thought it would be so cool to work on an FPS project :blush:

(I was also a teenager who wasn't anywhere near as skilled at programming as I am now though, lol)

go and ask the trenchbroom creator for a beta invite for the build that has native Quake 2 support. I got it myself already, I've been planning to make use of it after I'm done with some much bigger projects.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I never got why Jedi Outcast was so praised and Jedi Academy is like this barely remembered turd.

Jedi Academy is all jedi all the time, refines the original's combat, and is literally wall-to-wall fan service.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I never got why Jedi Outcast was so praised and Jedi Academy is like this barely remembered turd.

Jedi Academy is all jedi all the time

You answered yourself.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Colon Semicolon posted:

I think by this point you can legitimately get away with releasing games that look like PS1 level graphics and still get people's dicks rock hard. Imagine if someone tried to make their own Deus Ex now with all the super-streamlined indie workflow tools and piss-easy modelling/texturing.
...except the writing would almost definitely be a hot mess.

Yeah but in that case you'd intentionally be playing up to nostalgia, I think that's a little different.

It is kind of interesting to see the twenty year delay on indie nostalgia bait, we've gone through the NES and SNES era and now we're moving into blocky PS1 era 3d, we're already seeing stuff like STRAFE and Devil Daggers channeling Quake super hard. Even the big budget Doom reboot is banking on being Doom 1 and 2 with modern graphics, or at least what the guys at bethesda thought people liked about the original Doom games.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 26, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jehde posted:

You answered yourself.
No guns no guns!!
-MSN Gaming Zone Turds

Academy has you not playing as Kyle for the first time. Also it has Rosh who is one of the most annoying characters ever written.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dominic White posted:

As others said earlier, there doesn't seem to be anything backing up the claim that Machinegames hate Wolf09, especially as New Order seems to pick up the story directly from where it left off. If anything, it's every other Wolfenstein that got retconned out of existence.
Nah, Wolf 09 and thus New Order are still in loose continuity with the old Wolf games, as in BJ killed MechaHitler and now different Nazis are trying to fill the leadership void, etc. They even released some short movies before Wolf 09 that recapped the basic Wolfenstein story so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51aKxu82gQ

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

khwarezm posted:

Yeah but in that case you'd intentionally be playing up to nostalgia, I think that's a little different.

That really depends how you want to do it really. if it's an actual original work it could be fairly nice, but alot of these *~retro~* looking games are made with such a slackjawed lack of care or interest that they all look horrible. STRAFE in particular just looks incredibly ugly to me and has since I saw the initial tumblr showcases. Apparently I'm in the minority for thinking as much.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Colon Semicolon posted:

go and ask the trenchbroom creator for a beta invite for the build that has native Quake 2 support. I got it myself already, I've been planning to make use of it after I'm done with some much bigger projects.

Wait holy poo poo does this actually work okay? I've been pulling out my loving hair trying to design a level in trenchbroom 1, even with its incessant crashing and general awfulness. Is 2 substantially better?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

david_a posted:

:aaaaa: My concept of time is probably warped because I was a kid back then, but Strife and Deus Ex being separated by only four years seems insane.

In retrospect things were a lot more exciting in the 90s when things were changing so radically. Doom to Unreal in five years? Crazy.

Yeah, I've been reading a few old PC Zone magazines recently and it's amazing to see how much games improved, literally on a month by month basis through the late 90s. After Quake hit graphics improvements really went into overdrive, particularly as dedicated GPU's became more commonplace. I guess experiencing the real golden age of PC gaming (Wolf3D through to UT99, in my opinion) means that modern gaming feels a bit stale, as some others have said you can look back to games made 10 years ago and see that overall there just hasn't been a similar improvement in fidelity compared to the enormous leaps and bounds of the 90's and early 2000's.

Speaking of old magazines, I was thinking of scanning and posting a series of reviews and other articles on early FPS's if anyone would be interested in seeing it? I've got huge piles of PC Format, PC Gamer and PC Zone magazines from the 90's with reviews of all the old classics (Ultimate Doom, ROTT, DF, even the ridiculous 16 page PC Zone review of Quake) and more than happy to scan stuff in if people are at all interested in that kind of thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Jedi Academy is all jedi all the time, refines the original's combat, and is literally wall-to-wall fan service.

JA is in many ways a logical evolution from JO, it's streamlined a lot of what the previous games were about but not always in very impressive fashion. The shooter element of the series is all but stripped out and the game is entirely about saber and force. However despite the new moves and styles they added for JA, the flow of saber combat itself hasn't really been improved much since JK; in fact that game knew exactly what it was doing by limiting saber duels to a small number of boss fights which they put special effort into making unique, because bread-and-butter saber combat in all the JK games is quite repetitive, seriously goofy looking, and not especially fun by itself. It's a pity because both games do still have good boss fights across the board (well, maybe not Rosh and friends), but between these fights there's long successions of generic saber duels with uninteresting bots. JO is a bit better about mixing them up, there's several long sections of JA by contrast where you have to carve through half a dozen reborn in a row.

JA's mapping is also a lot simpler and less ambitious with fewer puzzles, secrets and side areas than previous games, which contributes to a feeling of being a bit oversimplified. The earlier games maintain a pretty interesting balance between FPS, action, and adventure, whereas JA is much more focused on being an action game with only rare forays into any other sort of play. It's not a bad game and some parts of it are really enjoyable, but it definitely limits the scope of the series rather than building on every aspect of it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Pathos posted:

Wait holy poo poo does this actually work okay? I've been pulling out my loving hair trying to design a level in trenchbroom 1, even with its incessant crashing and general awfulness. Is 2 substantially better?

If you haven't talked with the author about your issues, you might want to. There could be something about your system that needs fixin', and if not, he always wants people to make bug reports if they hit a problem.

TB thread on func_msgboard: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60908
TB issues on GitHub: https://github.com/kduske/TrenchBroom/issues

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
JOs multiplayer was extremely sweet, especially because it mixed the FPS crowd, the third person melee crowd and the Star Wars geek crowd. In each of these small subcommunities, you'd have people who took themselves way too seriously, which was where the fun started. I remember joining this DM server with two friends where we'd picked the same skin so we could spot each other, and levelled Force Grip all the way up to max. When one of the noble Bespin residents tried to hunt one of us down, the others would Force Grip him behind a pillar or ledge until the spell timed out and then another would take over and reposition them behind an obstacle until they died. The amount of nerd rage this generated from these people was nothing short of amazing, you'd have people switching skins to match and try to avoid the Grip, or try and organize the rest of the server to band together against the nefarious dark side.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
:ughh:

Thief 2 works a lot better when you run it as an administrator. Further developments in the NO poo poo DUMB rear end at 11.

Thi4f will never darken my hard drive again.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Convex posted:

Speaking of old magazines, I was thinking of scanning and posting a series of reviews and other articles on early FPS's if anyone would be interested in seeing it? I've got huge piles of PC Format, PC Gamer and PC Zone magazines from the 90's with reviews of all the old classics (Ultimate Doom, ROTT, DF, even the ridiculous 16 page PC Zone review of Quake) and more than happy to scan stuff in if people are at all interested in that kind of thing.

These would be cool to see, yeah.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Pathos posted:

I don't know too much, as I haven't had time to really play with it much. I can only assume it would work better though. they've been doing weekly/daily builds of it for awhile now.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

These would be cool to see, yeah.

Please do, I have a few old magazines like that myself and it's always fun to read back about all the hot tips and strats of the time. That and looking at old PC hardware pricing. 16 Meg of RAM, only $3000!! :v:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Y'all should scan and upload them to archive.org. There's tons of this poo poo there. For example: https://archive.org/details/pczonemagazine

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

Y'all should scan and upload them to archive.org. There's tons of this poo poo there. For example: https://archive.org/details/pczonemagazine

Yeah I'd like to at some point, but I have like 70 magazines so it's a bit of a task! Will see how I get on just doing the articles and take it from there. Would be good to have all the mag's archived though. It's really interesting to see how this was all viewed at the time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Google Books has Maximum PC going back to 1997 as well!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPvcAUFJ2Zw

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Narcissus1916 posted:

they're both poo poo. dark forces 2: jedi knight & mysteries of the sith is where it's at.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 27, 2016

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uxCYkh--q0

FEAR

CHAOS

DOOM III

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vikar Jerome posted:

they're both poo poo. dark forces 2: jedi knight & mysteries of the sith is where it's at.

Mysteries is mostly terrible unfortunately. It's JK with no difficulty curve, no plot, and no good bosses. The only unquestionably good thing it brought to the series was the charge attack on the pistol.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I had a sudden urge to play Quake 4 again, so I grabbed my old boxed copy and put it in the drive. Unfortunately, it seems like Quake 4 is not compatible with Windows 7 64-bit. I can't even get the thing to install, even after looking up various attempts to fix it. And reports from those who did get it to install say that it's not compatible with modern graphics cards anyway so it'll look awful without major tweaks.

Has anyone got some advice or ideas on how to get it to work?

My system specs, if that'll help:

CPU: Intel i7-4770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 Ghz)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A (Intel Socket 1150)
RAM: 16 GB of DDR3 1600
Graphics Card: Geforce GTS 660 (2 GB, GDDR5 SDRAM PCI-E 3.0 x 16)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

skasion posted:

Mysteries is mostly terrible unfortunately. It's JK with no difficulty curve, no plot, and no good bosses. The only unquestionably good thing it brought to the series was the charge attack on the pistol.

you're probably right, i haven't played it for a very long time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Icept posted:

JOs multiplayer was extremely sweet, especially because it mixed the FPS crowd, the third person melee crowd and the Star Wars geek crowd. In each of these small subcommunities, you'd have people who took themselves way too seriously, which was where the fun started. I remember joining this DM server with two friends where we'd picked the same skin so we could spot each other, and levelled Force Grip all the way up to max. When one of the noble Bespin residents tried to hunt one of us down, the others would Force Grip him behind a pillar or ledge until the spell timed out and then another would take over and reposition them behind an obstacle until they died. The amount of nerd rage this generated from these people was nothing short of amazing, you'd have people switching skins to match and try to avoid the Grip, or try and organize the rest of the server to band together against the nefarious dark side.

I would have loved to have witnessed this. Very nice work :allears:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nokiaman posted:

I've been getting closer to the end of the Dark Tide series and I'm really loving the look of the maps. It's getting very Outcast-y! (gently caress platforming though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcm23FPrdnk&t=891s

How are reflective floors even possible in the Dark Forces engine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcm23FPrdnk&t=1510s

Also real traffic cityscapes, although I suppose those could just be a lot of polygon entities

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 27, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I had a sudden urge to play Quake 4 again, so I grabbed my old boxed copy and put it in the drive. Unfortunately, it seems like Quake 4 is not compatible with Windows 7 64-bit. I can't even get the thing to install, even after looking up various attempts to fix it. And reports from those who did get it to install say that it's not compatible with modern graphics cards anyway so it'll look awful without major tweaks.

I dunno if it makes any real difference, but I can check my steam copy and see whether it works or not.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you only use the Control Panel Bookmarks page and never see the actual games forum, this sticky may interest you guys: Someone's trying to organize a friendly Q3A CPMA tourney

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just did a playthrough on Windows 10 and, though I did have to paste some stuff into an .ini to get the textures to look right, it worked 100% fine aside from that. It was the Steam version.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Apparently the installer refuses to run on basically anything newer than Windows XP, so you'd have to use a VM or something to install it, and then it should work fine except for maybe the shadows.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Colon Semicolon posted:

I dunno if it makes any real difference, but I can check my steam copy and see whether it works or not.

By setting the setup.exe to run in Windows XP SP 2/3 compatibility mode I can get into the setup screen, but after finalizing the install instructions and starting the install the progress bar says it's 9 bars into in the "Removing applications" phase, and the bar isn't moving, nor does Task Manager think the application is using any noticeable amount of CPU time, even though the DVD drive is humming and the light is blinking. It does not appear to be installing anything.

EDIT: Oh wait, it was just taking a very long time to do something.

I decided to not install DirectX 9.0c and risk overwriting my DX11.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

I just did a playthrough on Windows 10 and, though I did have to paste some stuff into an .ini to get the textures to look right, it worked 100% fine aside from that. It was the Steam version.

Same here. Don't know if it's the same stuff but I had to add the lines given here to autoexec.cfg in the q4base folder - http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Quake_4#Issues_fixed . Otherwise any settings changed in game didn't matter at all and it looked like poo poo.

Also had to add seta com_fixedtic "1" to it because of the hideous microstuttering that idtech 4 seems to have on my machine. Also had to do it with Prey (have not seen the original Doom 3 on this later machine). Some have mentioned that this will screw up some physics but I haven't noticed it yet.

e: err well, keep in mind for when you do get it up and running.