Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

God I forget how low res the textures often are in this game until I do a character shot :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Ok so I'm a level 43 Paladin and I still don't know how to loving tank. I took a 6 month break from this game because of the Stone Vigil, I''ve come back, been reading and watching videos, I've gotten better, but gently caress ME. I love everything about this game except battling/dungeons. First MMORPG, maybe that's part of it, but gently caress!

I understand the concept- hold enmity, take the damage for the party.

So I come across a mob- do I number the order first? How do I determine the order? Then I shield lob, a ranged attack that also increases enmity, this drags enemies to me. I understand AOE attacks, that's easy. But what about "normal" attacks? Am I supposed to be constantly moving, positioning myself behind the enemy? If that's the case, how the gently caress do I manage three or 4 enemies at a time while I am losing enmity fast as can be? The combo is fast blade then savage blade, but I can only attack one enemy at a time! And sometimes flash is not effective! How do I keep enmity on everything, or is that misunderstood? Just keep enmity on most things? All things? one thing?

I want to keep playing this game, but not for the dungeons. Just to be alone.

Am I missing the point of MMOs?

TL:DR Basically how do you tank

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't bother with numbering targets, that's a bad crutch to start using. Don't try to get behind mobs, because they'll always try to face you. Flash always works. When you see "not effective" that just means the blind effect isn't applying and that's not important. Keep enmity on all the things.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Ok so I'm a level 43 Paladin and I still don't know how to loving tank. I took a 6 month break from this game because of the Stone Vigil, I''ve come back, been reading and watching videos, I've gotten better, but gently caress ME. I love everything about this game except battling/dungeons. First MMORPG, maybe that's part of it, but gently caress!

So I come across a mob- do I number the order first? How do I determine the order? Then I shield lob, a ranged attack that also increases enmity, this drags enemies to me. I understand AOE attacks, that's easy. But what about "normal" attacks? Am I supposed to be constantly moving, positioning myself behind the enemy? If that's the case, how the gently caress do I manage three or 4 enemies at a time while I am losing enmity fast as can be? The combo is fast blade then savage blade, but I can only attack one enemy at a time! And sometimes flash is not effective! How do I keep enmity on everything, or is that misunderstood? Just keep enmity on most things? All things? one thing?

Turn on Shield Oath. Pull a pack of trash. If it's more than two targets Flash three times in a row, then do a Riot Blade combo. Flash twice after blind wears off on the enemies. Then do another Riot Blade combo, then Flash again. Then do Riot Blade/Halone combos after that, put your attacks on whatever enemy the DPS are focusing.

If it's two or fewer enemies, Flash three times, then transition to Halone combos. Put your attacks on the enemy getting focused by the DPS.

Don't move around. Stand as still as possible.

Make sure your gear is upgraded. If you're wearing trash gear you'll do trash enmity.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't use riot blade at level 43.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Roe is the best race, be Roe. And when that's not enough, be a ChocoRoe.

Ain't nobody gonna step to the ChocoRoe gang. :parrot:

Fister Roboto posted:

If you already have a full set of 220 gear, you will get nothing useful out of Void Ark, and normal Midas gear will only be sidegrades. Your only way up from there is lore gear, Seph EX and Midas Savage.

There's still the weekly grade 5 materia. :eng101:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Absolutely do not try to position yourself behind the enemy, as the enemy will constantly turn to face you which will infuriate melee DPS. You want to be standing in front of the mobs while generally facing them away from the rest of the group. Use AoEs (Flash and Circle of Scorn) to maintain aggro on all the mobs, and use your main enmity combo Fast Blade->Savage Blade->Rage of Halone to maintain enmity on the main target so the DPS beating on it don't pull aggro and get eaten.

I haven't played FFXIV in a while and haven't tanked in even longer, but that's the jist of it IIRC.

e: too slow

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Legitimately curious: why? The story's good for an MMO but it's nothing special compared to single-player games.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
If you're not feeling the story, give it at least until Heavensward. That's where it really drew me in. I'm not done with it, but I've really been entertained so far.

Brayflox! :allears:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Start with these. There are more advanced things for tanking, but this is a place to start and make sure you understand what's going on.

You should have a third part to your threat combo called Rage of Halone. Make sure it's on your bars because it's the real heavy lifter in terms of threat. If you can't use rage you're literally better off spamming flash until you run out of MP and riot blading to get your mana back. This is in content below level 26, iirc.

And find the keybind for target nearest enemy, it will cycle through mobs and let you quickly ascertain what threat looks like on everything.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 26, 2016

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't use riot blade at level 43.

Assuming a ten action spread, you'll generate about equal enmity per target doing Flashx3 -> Riot combo -> Flashx2 -> Riot Combo -> Flash as you will doing Flashx3 -> Fast Blade -> Savage Blade -> Flashx2 -> Halone -> Fast Blade -> Flash.

Now of course Flash/Halone will have an advantage on your primary target, but it comes out to about a wash on every other target and you'll be nearly bottomed-out on MP. Remember this is for AOE packs, focused on average potency per target and assumes you're trying to spread your Halone combo out somewhat because DF randos aren't going to focus one target 90% of the time. And if for some reason someone switches targets or your DPS decide to change to AOE after seeming to focus one target the Halone can be "wasted" if it lands on the wrong target. Flash/Riot also minimizes the number of target switches you need to do, which can make things more complicated for new tanks trying to learn the basics of their role.

At four or more targets it only becomes more efficient to use Flash/Riot. If you're in a group you know or the DPS seem to both be focusing the same target consistently you can safely transition to a Halone combo earlier of course. But Flash/Riot is a very safe and reliable enmity generation method for newbie tanks to use. It also has the advantage of working in every level of content available in the Duty Finder (minus the first two Guildhests) so a new player doesn't get caught off guard by a level sync.

Riot Blade is a tool in a PLD's enmity generation toolbox, just like Halone. Both should be used when appropriate, and the appropriate case for Riot Blade is when you have 3+ enemies and will be using Flash a lot regardless of whatever other actions you're doing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you're out of MP from flashing, then you don't need to flash anymore. In fact, you've probably flashed too much.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're out of MP from flashing, then you don't need to flash anymore. In fact, you've probably flashed too much.

Not true at all. With the enmity changes that happened in 3.2, low level tanks got hit even harder than high level tanks. Tanking things at ilv 150 is a world of difference from tanking things at ilv 220, and sub-50 it's even worse. There's no such thing as "Flashing too much."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thunk posted:

Avast.

Took a few tries to get the launcher to download everything, but it's working now.

Avast has been poo poo for ages. I had to dump it in favor of MSE because it started using a ton of CPU power every time Steam updated a game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SpaceGoku posted:

There's no such thing as "Flashing too much."

Yeah sure lemme spend multiple GCDs doing zero damage while I already have a solid threat lead, that's definitely a good idea.

If you're undergeared and worried about holding threat, you should consider switching to one of the tanks that aren't terrible at AOE.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Unguided posted:

Avast has been poo poo for ages. I had to dump it in favor of MSE because it started using a ton of CPU power every time Steam updated a game.

Honestly unless you're doing stupid stuff like clicking around every webring you find on 4chan or installing random crap from download.com or opening unsolicited email word docs with vbs turned on, you may as well just turn off active protection in the first place. Still do weekly scans and manually scan things before you actually install them, sure, but active scanning has been a waste of CPU for at least a decade in my opinion. Just stick to safe practices, don't install anything unless you went looking for it in the first place, uninstall flash (use chrome's built-in flash engine if you ever REALLY need to use flash), use an adblocker, and if you can stomach the initial learning curve, use a javascript blocker like noscript

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah sure lemme spend multiple GCDs doing zero damage while I already have a solid threat lead, that's definitely a good idea.

If you're undergeared and worried about holding threat, you should consider switching to one of the tanks that aren't terrible at AOE.
That's the point tho; even with completely expending your mana, you will be struggling to keep hate around 25-35 because of the tanking changes. I stopped doing dungeons entirely at that level range because it was suffering to try to tank, even in the absolutely best possible gear I could have.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been leveling BLM lately and almost am at 50. Every drat dungeon has had a struggling tank that can't hold threat. I either have to stop using fire 2, or just accept it and start taking hits. Usually it's the latter. I don't have quelling strikes, so I imagine that would help a lot, but still, this is the worst I've ever seen tanks not hold aggro well.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
My problem with tanking lately is that as our levels get higher, it feels like the DPS is going way faster than I can, and I have a hard time keeping up. It's like by the time the GCD expires, the DPS have done 100 things, and I'm like, "welp... fast blade?"

I'm still in low-level content, and I still enjoy it, but it's getting a bit tougher. On the other hand, no one has died yet, so I assume I'm doing it as well as can be expected.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Leofish posted:

My problem with tanking lately is that as our levels get higher, it feels like the DPS is going way faster than I can, and I have a hard time keeping up. It's like by the time the GCD expires, the DPS have done 100 things, and I'm like, "welp... fast blade?"

I'm still in low-level content, and I still enjoy it, but it's getting a bit tougher. On the other hand, no one has died yet, so I assume I'm doing it as well as can be expected.

Low levels are also mostly populated by people who have forgotten that you can't always go all out during leveling content. As an actual leveling up tank people will still act like you are a scaled down 60 who knows everything by heart.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Hey, for all those MCHs out there, it seems that they're planning on adding a visual toggle option for Gauss Barrel in 3.3.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hivac posted:

Hey, for all those MCHs out there, it seems that they're planning on adding a visual toggle option for Gauss Barrel in 3.3.

That might actually get me to go back to leveling MCH.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

vOv posted:

Legitimately curious: why? The story's good for an MMO but it's nothing special compared to single-player games.

Oh, it's not like I'm heavily invested in the story, either. I just like exploring the world.

Thanks for the tank help, everyone. Back to practicing...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, that's a cute haircut! I should totally use it on....

...on second thought, never mind.

Actually, that looks perfect for a Roegadame.

Also, glad I didn't pick that on my Mi'qote, I actually don't like the look of it on them. :v:

ilifinicus posted:

That's the point tho; even with completely expending your mana, you will be struggling to keep hate around 25-35 because of the tanking changes. I stopped doing dungeons entirely at that level range because it was suffering to try to tank, even in the absolutely best possible gear I could have.

It starts before that as a Gladiator, in the high 10s/low 20s. I could barely hold aggro while levelling to 22. Spamming Flash is terrible and a huge part of why GLD is a chore to play; Flash really needs to deal damage like Overpower. :(

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

I'm going to be very upset if there's no way to get these in America. Even just redeeming the codes on an American service account after paying a Japanese person the price of the drinks

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The amount of salt from catgirls that can't get their maid costumes is gonna be absolutely incredible.

That Ifrit mask is pretty boss though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

yeah it really doesn't work, does it :v:

Of course not. Darling, do you think these smouldering looks that my character throws around come that easy? No, looking that good takes time before you step into a dungeon ready to kick someone's rear end and maybe patch a fool back together in the meantime. If I were shooting for a Roe with a more disgruntled personality, well then, that hair would work fine!

More seriously, sometimes the character just chargens themselves, and you're just along for the ride. I think I have City of Heroes to blame for that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Grimace posted:

The amount of salt from catgirls that can't get their maid costumes is gonna be absolutely incredible.

I'm salty I can't get the butler costume for mine.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Highgals for life:

Midas gear is so JRPG outfit is hurts and the Immortal Flames's sword works so well with it. Just need a few dozen belts haphazardly lying around on it ... :haw:

I've not played enough to get a good bank of glamour stuff really, but I'm oddly fond of the DRG 60 stuff from Neverreap/Fractal. Would be great if it could be dyed. Never got the matching pike 'tho so Ifrit's cheap knockoff version will have to do.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, that's a cute haircut! I should totally use it on....

...on second thought, never mind.

I like it on both of them. :3: Its a different effect on the Roe for sure and I think I prefer it more.

Hamsterlady posted:

I'm going to be very upset if there's no way to get these in America. Even just redeeming the codes on an American service account after paying a Japanese person the price of the drinks

They said in a slide or so later that they will be ways to get these in the EU/US. Prepare your MGP wallet, I guess.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Hivac posted:

So any word on SMN getting those Egi-glamors?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Someone said something about 3.4 for egi glamours.

In other words, Please Look Forward To It

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Official Q&A thread.

quote:

Q: What’s the status on the glamours for summoner’s egis?

A: After assessing the resources needed to make this happen, we discovered that we need an immense amount, so we are planning to release them one patch at a time. We’re working towards implementing them starting from Patch 3.4, so please hang in there a bit longer.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I just had a run of the Aery with this Summoner:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
e:f;b

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

Q: Previously, the Valerian equipment from Tactics Ogre was implemented into the game, but do you have any plans to implement equipment from Vagrant Story?

A: It was quite easy to design the equipment from Tactics Ogre since it was just pixels, but the Vagrant Story equipment--actually, just check out this picture I brought along.

*Shows an image

This is the main character and his rival. The rival is bare from the waist up, while you can see the main character’s butt from the back. Creating this for PlayStation we were able to somewhat fake it, but with the quality of PlayStation 4, we’re a bit worried that it might not be too great to have this kind of visual.

smdh if you don't want roegadudes in Ashley Riot's assless pants

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Paladin shouldn't be flashing more often than just to keep the blind effect up. You should flash once and immediately start tab cycling your rage of halone combo. This whole flash three times, riot blade, flash two times, riot blade is silly, does no damage, and is part of the reason people think pallies are bad tanks. Likewise, you shouldn't be overpowering a ton if you've got 3 or less mobs.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I am a trash American that enjoys purchasing soft drinks from 7-11 wheres my maid outfit square PEENIX

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Paladin shouldn't be flashing more often than just to keep the blind effect up. You should flash once and immediately start tab cycling your rage of halone combo. This whole flash three times, riot blade, flash two times, riot blade is silly, does no damage, and is part of the reason people think pallies are bad tanks. Likewise, you shouldn't be overpowering a ton if you've got 3 or less mobs.
did you loving miss the part where we said keeping threat is impossible even with spamming your mana bar empty?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilifinicus posted:

did you loving miss the part where we said keeping threat is impossible even with spamming your mana bar empty?

That's because flash isn't a good enmity generator and will lag behind your damage combo. I don't have these problems you guys have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's because flash isn't a good enmity generator and will lag behind your damage combo. I don't have these problems you guys have.
I had this problem leveling MRD from 1-30, I would run out of TP for overpower and still not have threat. Again, I could not have had better gear.

• Locked thread