Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

He looks okay, please leave personal attacks to lovely personalities and not appearance thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

look, that dumb hat and ascot look bad on everyone, regardless of personal appearance

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Cicadas! posted:

And I didn't think my opinion of Tiy could get any lower. I know you probably don't want to out of politeness or something, but I feel like I speak for everyone when I say I'd love to hear any juicy tidbits or insider stories about your experiences working with them. I love behind-the-scenes stuff, and with a bunch of fuckups like them I'm sure you've got at least a few anecdotes. You're not affiliated with them anymore, so it doesn't matter, right?

If I'm remembering from the older threads, you're the one who originally designed the player sprite, correct? Who was the artist who got your job, and why didn't you like them?

I could, but really it wouldn't be worth the risk. No one cares about Starbound anymore and to be bluntly honest, I think their actions have done more to discredit themselves than anything I could say. I'd love to share the juiciest details publicly but it just isn't worth the heat it'd bring just so I could tell a half dozen (albeit, awesome) people. Judging by its player numbers compared to Terraria's, everyone else has moved on.

I do still want Starbound to be a good game and recoup the kind of player numbers it had around release, but I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if it happened, at least with the current direction.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rhopunzel posted:

I could, but really it wouldn't be worth the risk. No one cares about Starbound anymore and to be bluntly honest, I think their actions have done more to discredit themselves than anything I could say. I'd love to share the juiciest details publicly but it just isn't worth the heat it'd bring just so I could tell a half dozen (albeit, awesome) people. Judging by its player numbers compared to Terraria's, everyone else has moved on.

I do still want Starbound to be a good game and recoup the kind of player numbers it had around release, but I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if it happened, at least with the current direction.

But wouldn't you want prospective suckers I mean development team members of Chucklefish to know the toxic shitstorm they're getting into?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

But wouldn't you want prospective suckers I mean development team members of Chucklefish to know the toxic shitstorm they're getting into?

I think it's pretty obvious from the outset at this point. All I'll say about it is that it was told in no uncertain terms that my creative input wasn't wanted nor appreciated anymore and I was expected to do what I was told and nothing more, and that's when I just stopped caring and did just that until I left. Some people are okay working like that, I wasn't because it didn't start out that way and I couldn't adapt.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah I think it's important to remember that Starbound is basically totally dead and pretty much no one outside of this thread cares about it

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah I think it's important to remember that Starbound is basically totally dead and pretty much no one outside of this thread cares about it

I...haven't had the heart to tell my partners that it is never getting better or finished. They're still so excited to be able to play it once it's ready...I just can't...:sigh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

IronicDongz posted:

i'm pretty sure nobody in this thread, save perhaps for supernorn, actually cares about starbound further than we can laugh about it

and that's only because his paycheck depends on it

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Haha, I made that deer :( it got left out for whatever reason, I think one of the other artists convinced them it'd look bad on terrain or something? Anyway Cicadas that was pretty much why I didn't get on with them, I was constantly undermined at every turn because they were mad they weren't in charge of me.

I might release the sprite sheet, maybe modders could bring it back from the dead.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
brah guarantee it just didn't go in because of drama. everything plays nice on terrain when you just rotate sprites

that's a fuckin beautiful grasp of ambulatory anatomy though just so you know

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, that sprite is really good. i wish there was a game that used strictly aesthetics like that instead of the weird, almost half-baked spritework in starbound at times.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

brah guarantee it just didn't go in because of drama. everything plays nice on terrain when you just rotate sprites

that's a fuckin great grasp of ambulatory anatomy though just so you know

Yeah, a lot of things and ideas didn't get in because of drama. A lot of times, something I'd suggest would get immediately dismissed, and then adopted months later when someone else came up with it and when I'd point that out I'd get dressed down getting told I was a bad team player and "trying to take ownership". Also thank you! I was pretty much flying by the seat of my pants with that animation since creatures weren't my strong point at the time, so I'm glad it worked out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really think that randomized monsters kind of hosed up the game a fair amount, because i never hear many people say they enjoy them and they're really not interesting in the slightest.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A pretty fun and awesome sounding game idea being so brutally tortured to death, while simultaneously stepping on everyone who believed in it and tried to make it something, is why Starbound is so reviled. Not backwards slow-walking, not sand mining.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I posted the deer because Rho made it and Rho is really good is what I'm trying to say.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

i really think that randomized monsters kind of hosed up the game a fair amount, because i never hear many people say they enjoy them and they're really not interesting in the slightest.
a few cherry picked ones that showed up in previews for random gen monsterrs got some notice, but none of them got nearly as much as the designed poo monsters or that little pokemon like thing, poptop

I've actually seen fanart of this one.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

That might have been our fault :( Tiy tasked us with coming up with a template for the monsters and we designed one that could be efficient enough for us and the contributors to make the amount of assets he was calling for. It's really a problem inherent to pixel art, it isn't very good (or at least efficient) for random generation artwise, it's not like 3D where you can just make a skeleton animation and then hang whatever body you want on it. All their animations, and by extension abilities, had to be standardised to ease mass production, which is why there's no real differences (the last I heard anyway) between them, because the only flexibility was in what kind of projectiles they had.

My original understanding of the game concept was that it was basically going to be the Revenant in space - the main "enemy" would be the natural environment and surviving, encountering large creatures (and people for that matter, who you were meant to recruit) of the scale of the random monsters was meant to be a rarity, thereby increasing the wow factor of experiencing them. Somewhere along the line from the announcement it turned into "gently caress the original idea, we're doing space terraria now so we need a billion animals fast". There weren't even plans originally for other races, the idea was that any aliens if at all would be NPCs, thereby reducing the workload, as NPCs don't need to be as flexible and need less animations than player characters. My take on it is that the scope changed from few and deep to lots and shallow and I don't think it did the game any favours, but I was powerless to change anything.

King Lazer posted:

I posted the deer because Rho made it and Rho is really good is what I'm trying to say.

Thank you! Seriously. That means so much to me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rhopunzel posted:

That might have been our fault :(

i think that's less the fault of you and whoever else and more the fault of our Favorite Guy In Charge, given what's been said so far

also i remember that little contest that was held for people to design monsters for the game, and a lot of the winners actually looked really interesting. i think one of them was some weird cell thing that would adapt based on the biome.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

also i remember that little contest that was held for people to design monsters for the game, and a lot of the winners actually looked really interesting. i think one of them was some weird cell thing that would adapt based on the biome.

I believe that some of the aforementioned suckers mod makers got hired by Chucklefish actually.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lol that mod maker who "burned his bridges" with chucklefish when they tried to negotiate the use of his content must be feeling pretty smug right now

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

lol that mod maker who "burned his bridges" with chucklefish when they tried to negotiate the use of his content must be feeling pretty smug right now

All things considered, it was a shitshow on both sides of that.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

I believe that some of the aforementioned suckers mod makers got hired by Chucklefish actually.

Not exactly. SamuriFerret (who's a really awesome guy) was a contributor who ended up being hired for the presumed canceled pirate game and moved to Starbound, but didn't make any mods. Thefluvirus (who's also a really really nice and talented kid) was taken on as a contributor because he designed the Virorbs, one of the monsters that won the contest. As far as I know he wasn't hired and instead went to college where he used his experience on Starbound as leverage, which imo was the smartest thing to do. He was a 16 year old kid who was producing poo poo on the same level as George and I, he's gonna go places one day. Some of the other "winners" of the contest tried to join as contributors but all left because they either realised they weren't going to get paid or saw what the environment was like.

The only modder I recall getting hired was Metadept, I can't remember what mod he made but he was really nice too.

grimcreaper posted:

All things considered, it was a shitshow on both sides of that.

I do understand why he reacted that way. From what I recall, he was basically a kid who was super excited they wanted to add his content to the game, and they sent him a contract full of scary words like "surrendering intellectual property" and stuff, big words to the uninitiated, and he had some questions about them and they basically stonewalled him. I remember what it was like before I was a developer, being a modder and having your content being added to a game was basically like your favorite band asking you to play with them, so I understand why he got bitter.

Funny story actually, shortly after the game first announced some guy posted fan art sketches of monsters. I saw them and thought some of them were really cool and offered to put them in the game for him and he immediately started making all kinds of insane demands like wanting guarantees of employment and official credit in the game and on the team's page and all this poo poo. Over paper sketches. When I was like :what: and respectfully declined, he edited all his posts to be blank and left the forums.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rhopunzel posted:

Haha, I made that deer :( it got left out for whatever reason, I think one of the other artists convinced them it'd look bad on terrain or something? Anyway Cicadas that was pretty much why I didn't get on with them, I was constantly undermined at every turn because they were mad they weren't in charge of me.

I might release the sprite sheet, maybe modders could bring it back from the dead.
that's really smooth and nice, I could see that prancing walk cycle looking slightly weird on uneven terrain but a). it could have another slower walk for when it's not moving fast, and b). none of the monsters that actually are in the game give a poo poo about all four feet connecting with uneven terrain either so whatever.

more importantly it's a neat animal instead of a stupid looking randomized clown so it could never be in.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 26, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Starbound: The Magic Circle is a real game, and this is it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Johnny Joestar posted:

I absolutely agree. I'm gonna be the prick who quotes himself here(well, and someone else) because I think it's the most meaningful insight I've had about this game, and I had it in 2014 and almost 2 whole years later poo poo's still hosed

nerdz posted:

Interestingly enough, I think the biggest problem starbound has is the random monster generator. Thousands of combinations, all boring. Even if they keep adding new interesting special moves for the monsters, there's no rhyme nor reason for monsters in a certain biome or depth. After you've seen enough combinations It gets to a point where you not only don't care about the randomness, you barely notice it. Fighting against humanoids with their limited attacks for some reason feels way better.

I think separating sections of the random attributes and color palettes for each biome to balance them would feel a lot better, like only enemies that spawn on ice biomes can do a freezing breath attack, magma enemies are immune to lava and attack with an array of explosive and fiery attacks and so on. It would reduce the randomness in a good way and let you know what to expect from each biome.

IronicDongz posted:

the actual problem is that monsters all fill very similar roles.
You know how in super metroid(an exploration heavy game, which is fun) there are creatures that cling to walls and climb all around in caves, there are hopping creatures, there are small creatures that are attached to each other in a mass which they detach from when shot, creatures which move in a group, there are creatures which are essentially floating mines, there are creatures that hide in lava or sand, there are creatures that produce light, there are creatures like moray eels which retract into the walls, there are creatures that block hallways, there are creatures who lose their wings upon taking damage, creatures who cling to the ceiling and divebomb you, creatures which roll around in armor, mouths attached to the ceiling, fish, antlion things which wait underwater to pull you in when you go near, etc. etc. etc.

Meanwhile, Starbound has three enemy types-or, being generous, 6. Ground monster(melee and projectile), flying monster(melee and projectile), humanoid(melee and projectile).
There may be many more technically, due to the randomization, but the differences are quite shallow. You're not gonna engage 2 different melee ground monsters in a significantly different way, or 2 different flying projectile monsters. The only exception to this is if you fight out of the depth your armor/weapon tier allows, in which case you get 1-2 shot instead of 2-4 shot. Even given how hard it is to make a procedural generation system that feels consistently fresh, it's really disappointing.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 26, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am actually surprised they are still trying because they have no obligation right

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Rhopunzel posted:

Thank you! Seriously. That means so much to me.

From all the things I saw of yours across all Starbound threads (and some other game? I forget), you are an awesome pixel artist and if I had money to spare I would throw money your way to make some pixel space trucks or something, I remember playing Starbound and thinking "I wish there was a game where I could be a chill space trucker with this aesthetic".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
just reading some old posts lol

Bitter Beard posted:

I've been having fun with the unstable build and the combat changes. They still appear to be working hard on the game but development takes time and I think some people literally do not understand that at all.

Johnny Joestar posted:

People can already do a fair bit with what they have when it comes to modding, once the game is more fleshed out and the dev team fully locks down on what they want to do there should be a hell of a lot more activity.

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I think the one thing any developer can count on is a minor but vocal part of the player-base looking real hard for anything, no matter how minor, to bitch about.

Personally, I'm impressed with how well Chucklefish communicates with the players compared to a lot of other indie developers. Clearly they're working on stuff and it's not like I have to pay for the game again, so I'm content to wait for news and new content/patches. The people who moan over every little thing I think it's largely safe to just dismiss as dumb and/or immature in general.

MrLongHair posted:

Loving the exploration, accepting the fact that this will be ready for sale like in 2015.

victrix posted:

It also helps that the early beta is really drat cool, their plans are cool, and they proved very early they can iterate and update rapidly.

Not hard to remain excited about the future when they've already proven they can deliver.

Plus I think waiting was most of the game for a very long time. Maybe the remaining fans here are inured :v:

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'll admit, I was thinking "What the gently caress happened to starbound, I thought they were doing almost daily updates! What happened? Is this another example of a failed project, considering I gave these pricks money?!" Then I checked their website, and they are setting up a studio in the UK, and some people who were not natives to the UK requiring the equivalent of green cards/VISAS to work And then I completely understood, because I've been there, and these mouthbreathing shitheads have no idea what it takes to completely change your life according to what makes you your bread money.

Seriously, It's a very time consuming process. It's not as simple as asking a yes/no question.

MrLongHair posted:

They can take their sweet time getting peoples new homes and positions secured, this is going to be so an amazing product when it's ready to roll out as a completed product.

Tenebrais posted:

So apparently pickaxes won't be craftable at all. They'll just be rare drops to be a bonus to your mining. That's encouraging; it means they'll need to make the matter manipulator a fun and balanced tool.

good poo poo below

Desperate Character posted:

One of the developers put up a personal explanation of why the updates are currently sparse right now. It seems after May where most of the developers will all be together is when we'll be getting constant updates again.

zolthorg posted:

Our "future indie gamez development studio" is so amatuerishly bad that in the absence of an engine specific tile editor we are unable to find the grid overlay feature present in all modern pixel-drawing-capable art programs. Also thanks for your money we used it to give several people a 1.5 yr European vacation that will end in drama publically viewable on twitter.

Ernie Muppari posted:

:argh:

Please tell us more about how mad you are about Starbound. :allears:

Kyrosiris posted:

Or at least source your quotes.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I never thought I'd hear someone complain about a development team moving to an office instead of having everyone work remotely. How on earth is that not the most logical progression when a company becomes successful?

and here

Reiley posted:

This game doesn't seem to have any sort of specific focus on what the core of it wants to be, whether it's resource collecting, exploration, survival, questing or combat, so it's trying to be everything at once and you can't be everything at once. It is increasingly clear they didn't have a solid goal in mind when they started so they have to waste a lot of time backtracking to fix poo poo that didn't work the first time. Not even the Yogscast with their infinite money could make a game that does everything. It's not a bad thing to have high hopes but you've got to be realistic.

Dibujante posted:

Their design process shows classic signs of overreach, but I don't think it's fair to declare that the game actually does over-reach until it's actually out. It's in alpha and they are still making sweeping changes like, for example, the matter manipulator/pickaxe change, which cuts an entire mechanic (grinding tool types) out of the game and replaces it with something that could arguably be considered to be more coherent to the overall game. We may see more of that. It'll be a while before this game even gets into beta.

Reiley posted:

Starbound has a Steam store page so I don't know why people act like it's not "out" yet. Whether or not that's a fault of the trend in early access titles is open to debate but you can literally enter a marketplace, find and purchase Starbound.

E-Tank posted:

No, You can buy and pre-purchase Starbound. You just gain access to the alpha as a bonus.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, you can't give them money and then they let you play Starbound, you have to give them money and then they let you play Starbound.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please don't be rude to my younger, phoneposting self who was vaguely hopeful that maybe that bundle of chucklefucks could actually settle on something stable so that modders can take over

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

holy poo poo that post was from may of 2014

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's ok. I was hopeful too, once. it's just funny how much things have changed. I still like the lil bird dudes, still like that I can dress my gayass birbguy in a skirt. oh well

Johnny Joestar posted:

holy poo poo that post was from may of 2014

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
been a long loving time huh lmao

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 26, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Thick and fast.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was good friends with one of the people on Starbound a really long time before it was a twinkle dull reflection in tiy's eye but that didn't really stop them from swearing vendetta and getting unholy levels of pissed when I suggested to them that the 3 month old launcher text ought to be updated every time there's a blog post on their site so that people who don't check the website can be informed the game isn't 100% dead. That person's sort of turned into a huge moron and I have no idea if they changed but I have huge doubts for some reason.

I met a bunch of the rest once too, there was a tallish american who's like 30 but looks 40 and a small brunette who was cute. That's all I really remember about chucklefish

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Rho, back when you were a part of it what was the ratio of artists and ideas guys to people who actually coded and implemented new things to the game that weren't just art and sound assets? A game needs artists yes, but the impression I've gotten is that Tiy wants his game to be pretty before any stupid poo poo like "being fun to play".

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Slime posted:

Rho, back when you were a part of it what was the ratio of artists and ideas guys to people who actually coded and implemented new things to the game that weren't just art and sound assets? A game needs artists yes, but the impression I've gotten is that Tiy wants his game to be pretty before any stupid poo poo like "being fun to play".

You have to admit though that it is very pretty. I love the art in starbound and it's the main draw for me. The artists did such an amazing job.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

grimcreaper posted:

You have to admit though that it is very pretty. I love the art in starbound and it's the main draw for me. The artists did such an amazing job.
Oh, it is.

I just wish I'd read this thread before I bought a loving 4-pack...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Holy crap, what happened?

I've come back to this thread after a long, long time - I was driven out when we had that invasion of edgleord 4chan douchebags who thought the height of Internet Warfare was calling Tiy a Jew.

What the gently caress happened? I know updates trickled off and went weird places, but did some actual item of news break that justifies the thread's scathing attitude?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Game is poo poo and people are having fun talking about the poo poo game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Loxbourne posted:

What the gently caress happened? I know updates trickled off and went weird places, but did some actual item of news break that justifies the thread's scathing attitude?
Not only was the game's reach way too ambitious, it never figured out how core gameplay stuff should work and kept loving around with basic stuff, and basically didn't meaningfully update for so long on top of making absolutely terrible game design choices or constantly reverting that everyone's goodwill ran out, and then turned to frustration. It's boring and repetitive and it had so much promise at first that all got pissed away.

Also, see a lot of Rhopunzel(person who worked for Chucklefish)'s posts:

Slime posted:

Him focusing entirely on how a game looks and declaring it a bad game because it isn't pretty explains so, so much about Starbound.

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah a lot of design decisions were based purely around aesthetic. The only reason planets have a single biome is because he wasn't happy with any of the ways the background parallaxes transitioned.

Rhopunzel posted:

The development name was actually Starship to start with and to this day that's what my work folder for it is called. Space Terry was just a nickname, I don't remember seeing it said much by the team.

I lived in Spain before I moved to the US in 2012 and I remember he was planning on buying a house with the idea of having team members live with him to help progress. I was all for staying in England before I moved to the States but then he said he was going to charge rent so it never happened.

Cicadas! posted:

Hahaha what?

"Move to England or I'll fire you. Also, I won't foot the plane ticket, and you have to pay rent."

The employees of chucklefish aren't staying because they like it, they're loving prisoners.

Rhopunzel posted:

I can't speak for them since I don't talk to any of them anymore but from what I've heard the situation isn't optimal. I've worded that as diplomatically as I possibly can.

Neither Bart nor I were fired so to speak, we were basically just cut out entirely after they all moved and were reduced to doing bitch work while they jumped from one idea to the other. Bart saw it coming and left almost immediately, I hung on for a while until I was informed one of the artists I wasn't very partial to was put in charge of me without my knowledge or input and I pretty much quit on the spot.

Rhopunzel posted:

Rhopunzel posted:

I think it's pretty obvious from the outset at this point. All I'll say about it is that it was told in no uncertain terms that my creative input wasn't wanted nor appreciated anymore and I was expected to do what I was told and nothing more, and that's when I just stopped caring and did just that until I left. Some people are okay working like that, I wasn't because it didn't start out that way and I couldn't adapt.

Rhopunzel posted:

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah, a lot of things and ideas didn't get in because of drama. A lot of times, something I'd suggest would get immediately dismissed, and then adopted months later when someone else came up with it and when I'd point that out I'd get dressed down getting told I was a bad team player and "trying to take ownership". Also thank you! I was pretty much flying by the seat of my pants with that animation since creatures weren't my strong point at the time, so I'm glad it worked out.

Rhopunzel posted:

That might have been our fault :( Tiy tasked us with coming up with a template for the monsters and we designed one that could be efficient enough for us and the contributors to make the amount of assets he was calling for. It's really a problem inherent to pixel art, it isn't very good (or at least efficient) for random generation artwise, it's not like 3D where you can just make a skeleton animation and then hang whatever body you want on it. All their animations, and by extension abilities, had to be standardised to ease mass production, which is why there's no real differences (the last I heard anyway) between them, because the only flexibility was in what kind of projectiles they had.

My original understanding of the game concept was that it was basically going to be the Revenant in space - the main "enemy" would be the natural environment and surviving, encountering large creatures (and people for that matter, who you were meant to recruit) of the scale of the random monsters was meant to be a rarity, thereby increasing the wow factor of experiencing them. Somewhere along the line from the announcement it turned into "gently caress the original idea, we're doing space terraria now so we need a billion animals fast". There weren't even plans originally for other races, the idea was that any aliens if at all would be NPCs, thereby reducing the workload, as NPCs don't need to be as flexible and need less animations than player characters. My take on it is that the scope changed from few and deep to lots and shallow and I don't think it did the game any favours, but I was powerless to change anything.

Rhopunzel posted:

I do understand why he reacted that way. From what I recall, he was basically a kid who was super excited they wanted to add his content to the game, and they sent him a contract full of scary words like "surrendering intellectual property" and stuff, big words to the uninitiated, and he had some questions about them and they basically stonewalled him. I remember what it was like before I was a developer, being a modder and having your content being added to a game was basically like your favorite band asking you to play with them, so I understand why he got bitter.

• Locked thread