Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of weird that they're saying anything about a 1.0 release if they're nowhere close to it.

Where would 1.0 fall in their worthless, uninformative angry koala version names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

It's sort of weird that they're saying anything about a 1.0 release if they're nowhere close to it.

Where would 1.0 fall in their worthless, uninformative angry koala version names.

So out of curiosity, what did the devs do to you? Did one of them run over your dog or something? This seems to go beyond 'ugh I don't like the unfinished game I bought access to', this seems to be a personal hatred.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'd be pretty mad too if I bought the Statue Of Yourself In Starbound tier :v:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

E-Tank posted:

So out of curiosity, what did the devs do to you? Did one of them run over your dog or something? This seems to go beyond 'ugh I don't like the unfinished game I bought access to', this seems to be a personal hatred.

He got Starburned.

So what the hell happened to this thread while I was gone?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Chucklefish made an unfun game that doesn't show signs of improving, not too hard to grasp really

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dominic White posted:

It might look cute and simple, but it's almost always far, far more complex than it looks.

I think the reason I'm mostly okay with waiting this long is that I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for about 8 years now.

E: Ficklefish

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

oddium posted:

Chucklefish released an alpha of a promising game and have been crunching out devlog updates but not new releases, not too hard to grasp really
I think you mean this?

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I don't think really powerful monsters are a huge deal in a game where you have mining abilities. It's pretty trivial to just dig a few feet under the surface, enough to avoid enviro penalties, and just work your way into upper tier ores. Ice planets were actually best for this since snow is easy and predictable to mine.

What about this is fun, though?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Ice planets were actually best for this since snow is easy and predictable to mine.

That sounds pretty unbalanced, now that you mention it. A whole planet full of an easy to mine material? Time to nerf the poo poo out of it.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Babe Magnet posted:

I think the reason I'm mostly okay with waiting this long is that I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for about 8 years now.

E: Ficklefish

FINALLY.

SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS.

WHO KNOWS THE OLD WAYS.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Dibujante posted:

I think you mean this?

Oh, yeah that is what I meant. Good catch

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

W-wait !!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

E-Tank posted:

You mean it's Starbound 1.0 finally?

Oh wait, no. No it's not.

What they probably meant was "long, long after they started taking money in exchange for access to their game." Dwarf Fortress isn't a released product yet either but Toady's mess of bugs is also free to play. Plus despite being severely mod-unfriendly it still has a better modding community :)

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Prop Wash posted:

What they probably meant was "long, long after they started taking money in exchange for access to their game." Dwarf Fortress isn't a released product yet either but Toady's mess of bugs is also free to play. Plus despite being severely mod-unfriendly it still has a better modding community :)

Honestly that's probably why it has a better modding community, 'cause not every fucker and his mum can throw something together inside a week.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, so many games I've been seriously interested in over my lifetime have been hugely delayed/slowly developed or turned out awful, so I'm not feeling particularly impatient with Starbound. Before the playable version was released a bunch of folks were comparing it to Terraria and saying it was totally unreasonable that the game had been in development for a whole year and still wasn't finished. After Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Spore, Dwarf Fortress, Overgrowth, and a handful of others, I think all the people saying "one year is WAY too long for a game to be released" was pretty hilarious.

And hey speaking of Spore, even if it does turn out to be poo poo in the end, I think I'll be able to move on pretty easily after that trainwreck.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Spore ruined hype for me completely. Before Spore, I was always the dude like, "Holy poo poo this game is going to do this and this and it's going to be awesome" and now I'm the dude that's like "There's no way these guys are going to be able to pull that off, this is going to be a mess"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't think Dwarf Fortress is really an apt comparison. It's one weirdo doing his own thing making a game that goes way above and beyond anything else in it's genre and releasing it for free.

Chucklefish got over a mil to make Terraria in Space.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think Dwarf Fortress is really an apt comparison. It's one weirdo doing his own thing making a game that goes way above and beyond anything else in it's genre and releasing it for free.
Chucklefish got over a mil to make Terraria in Space.
Look, I'm not making an in-depth industry analysis with consideration to contributing factors, I'm literally just speaking on the waiting aspect. The end result to me, as a player, waiting for an update.
Dwarf Fortress takes a long time to update, Starbound takes a long time to update.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also rather like Dwarf Fortress, you'll probably want to play it again even if you played it a lot the last time it updated, because the update adds something new.

I get that with Rimworld a lot, I play it for a week after the update and then shelve it, it adds to the game lifespan quite a lot, I think.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Look, I'm not making an in-depth industry analysis with consideration to contributing factors, I'm literally just speaking on the waiting aspect. The end result to me, as a player, waiting for an update.
Dwarf Fortress takes a long time to update, Starbound takes a long time to update.

Yeah that's the only comparison I was drawing.

I'll be pissed if Starbound's updates ever get like DF's, but that's not very likely, even given how long we've been waiting for this next SB update.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dibujante posted:

I think you mean this?

This game doesn't seem to have any sort of specific focus on what the core of it wants to be, whether it's resource collecting, exploration, survival, questing or combat, so it's trying to be everything at once and you can't be everything at once. It is increasingly clear they didn't have a solid goal in mind when they started so they have to waste a lot of time backtracking to fix poo poo that didn't work the first time. Not even the Yogscast with their infinite money could make a game that does everything. It's not a bad thing to have high hopes but you've got to be realistic.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Reiley posted:

This game doesn't seem to have any sort of specific focus on what the core of it wants to be, whether it's resource collecting, exploration, survival, questing or combat, so it's trying to be everything at once and you can't be everything at once. It is increasingly clear they didn't have a solid goal in mind when they started so they have to waste a lot of time backtracking to fix poo poo that didn't work the first time. Not even the Yogscast with their infinite money could make a game that does everything. It's not a bad thing to have high hopes but you've got to be realistic.

Their design process shows classic signs of overreach, but I don't think it's fair to declare that the game actually does over-reach until it's actually out. It's in alpha and they are still making sweeping changes like, for example, the matter manipulator/pickaxe change, which cuts an entire mechanic (grinding tool types) out of the game and replaces it with something that could arguably be considered to be more coherent to the overall game. We may see more of that. It'll be a while before this game even gets into beta.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Starbound has a Steam store page so I don't know why people act like it's not "out" yet. Whether or not that's a fault of the trend in early access titles is open to debate but you can literally enter a marketplace, find and purchase Starbound.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Reiley posted:

Starbound has a Steam store page so I don't know why people act like it's not "out" yet. Whether or not that's a fault of the trend in early access titles is open to debate but you can literally enter a marketplace, find and purchase Starbound.

No, You can buy and pre-purchase Starbound. You just gain access to the alpha as a bonus.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, you can't give them money and then they let you play Starbound, you have to give them money and then they let you play Starbound.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's also specifically stated as incomplete, thus the assertion that it's not really possible to say it's broken until it is complete, makes sense. Or at the least, it is not really saying much to say it isn't complete and fleshed out in all its areas at the moment, because the game says as much when you buy it.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I haven't played in about 4 months, is Starbound as fun as Terraria yet?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No. It's actually exactly the same as you left it.

I feel like a lot of these "Hey I just popped in and didn't feel like scanning a few pages of the thread first, has _____ happened yet" questions could be resolved with a nice new OP and thread, but I also feel like it would be a waste to start a new one in the middle of a wait for a new update.

OwlFancier posted:

It's also specifically stated as incomplete, thus the assertion that it's not really possible to say it's broken until it is complete, makes sense. Or at the least, it is not really saying much to say it isn't complete and fleshed out in all its areas at the moment, because the game says as much when you buy it.

That much I kind of agree with, yeah. I do think they jumped the gun a bit with opening the game up to purchase on an actual storefront instead of on their website or whatever, but the little blurb for Early Access does state that the game is still in development.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 24, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Reiley posted:

It's "out", yeah, but that's just a semantic argument. Saying a game is "released" no longer has much meaning.

"Released" and "finished" used to mean the same thing. They don't any more. The idea that being "released" holds the same implications as it did a decade ago just doesn't hold water.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

XboxPants posted:

It's "out", yeah, but that's just a semantic argument. Saying a game is "released" no longer has much meaning.

"Released" and "finished" used to mean the same thing. They don't any more. The idea that being "released" holds the same implications as it did a decade ago just doesn't hold water.

Early Access throws a big philosophical wrench in the whole discussion and I think that people are being disingenuous when they use it to criticize games based on the old metric of released == done. Maybe Early Access is a big crock of poo poo and ruining games more than it's benefiting games, maybe not. But some real discussion needs to happen around that topic instead of people running around saying, "This Early Access game is available for purchase, so therefore it should be feature complete :smug:"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, at the very least Starbound will probably be more different than it was in Early Acces, than it is on "Release" compared to say, Minimum.

I played the free beta of that, skipped out on paying for early access, grabbed it for five bucks on release on a whim. Doesn't feel like anything changed except they added spawn boxes to make spawn camping harder. Menus where half of it said COMING SOON when you mouse over the upgrades tree during free beta, still say so. Wonky graphics moments, constant connection losses, and to paraphrase from one of the devs "This is the fourth time an influx of new players have complained about swords being OP. Swords are fine, you'll eventually get good and move on to complaining about plasma cannons being OP" (My own opinion is that Swords are fine but guns are too weak. If I can simply walk through a hail of upgraded chaingun fire, without wearing armor, and have good odds of a sword kill before they get me... Yeah. Then you add on 'heal 25%, easily upgraded to 45% health on kill' armor and welp!)

Even if Starbound's next big stable update/release ends up with a bunch of features I personally consider wrong bad fun, it's probably going to at least resemble some kind of mostly complete product that functions as a normally playable game. Yes I'm comparing a sandboxy exploration game to a cheap Moba light shooter. But the latter seems to have been a complete fuckup barely worth the five dollars, while the more complicated game is at least getting work done on it and likely will not have 'this part of game to be included later, swearsies' in equipment menus.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 24, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Starbound is about two things: building and exploring. The matter manipulator/pickaxe situation is a trainwreck and combat is staggerly worse than Minecraft's. But it's okay because they're going to change things at random in the nightlies until they find what people like

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Possibly they are going to add features as they are complete to the nightlies such that it in no way resembles a sensible or playable game, and then for the stable patch they are going to make an attempt at a functional and coherent, if likely not optimal game system in order to gauge feedback on a potential final balance?

Edit:

I mean, starboned did 9/11.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

oddium posted:

combat is staggerly worse than Minecraft's

lol

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

E-Tank posted:

No, You can buy and pre-purchase Starbound. You just gain access to the alpha as a bonus.
It's in a store for cash money.

It doesn't matter if they call it an alpha, beta, epsilon, or whatever the gently caress. It's a product that is for sale. "It's a beta!" is not and has never been a valid excuse for a game that is available for immediate purchase and play being bad, and the fact this hardly unique to Starbound doesn't change that.

oddium posted:

Starbound is about two things: building and exploring. The matter manipulator/pickaxe situation is a trainwreck and combat is staggerly worse than Minecraft's. But it's okay because they're going to change things at random in the nightlies until they find what people like
Pretty much. I'll be quite happy if it turns out good, but as it stands right now there's core gameplay elements that are just not fun and there's no sign of them getting to be fun in the foreseeable future. Hoping and wishing it might eventually be good doesn't mean poo poo until there's actual patches and results.
Yeah, that isn't really a fair comparison.

You regenerate health in minecraft so you can actually explore without having to use five hundred loving bandages or drop a tent after every third fight.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Bring back ore surfing or get hosed

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Asimo posted:

Yeah, that isn't really a fair comparison.

You regenerate health in minecraft so you can actually explore without having to use five hundred loving bandages or drop a tent after every third fight.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tin Tim posted:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Tin Tim posted:

This goes without saying. Otherwise if sand destroys ore, allow us to weaponize it and melt the gently caress out of anything metallic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not very invested in the game, but after what happened to other Early Access games you should only consider paying money for the current state of the game. It's a full price non refundable sale. A release is never guaranteed, much less that the game will please you if and when done. I think the time I had the most fun was on the first week, and I put a lot of hours in it, so I'm ok with it. For a time I (and possibly everyone )thought it was guaranteed that this game would get better than Terraria as time went on, but now I'm not really sure. It would already be a huge success for them to achieve something at the same level.

I just remember Tiy posting a pretty condescending news update saying that the game has more than enough content to justify its price and that he could slap a 1.0 on it anytime he wanted, but won't. I searched a bit on the site and it seems to have been deleted. In light of the recent events it sounds way scarier, and money isn't the only thing that make projects die.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 24, 2014

• Locked thread