Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I tried the Sylvio 2 demo recently and I'm pretty disappointed it didn't get funded. Adding the video element along with deciphering the audio makes you feel rewarded for spotting something eerie that doesn't get written down by Juliet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Clock tower 1 and 2 (aka the snes game and the first ps1 game) are good, clock tower 2/ghost head (the 2nd ps1 game) is not good because it has a lot of bullshit logic in it, clock tower 3 is amazingly bad with some legit cool designs and also a ton of parts where they try to be scary, but aren't, because the character models are constantly in a state of having a seizure. Haunting ground I don't know much about other than it was originally gonna be another clock tower game but they changed that later on.

Night Cry looks like it will be fun because the same guy who worked on the good clock tower games is pretty into giallo stuff, and the good clock tower games are just a japanese person's take on the giallo genre. It won't be a game for everyone, but it looks like it will be entertaining even if it won't necessarily be designed well.

GulagDolls posted:

clock tower 3 has simply the greatest fax-machine related scare in the genre

What was that?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV9qQu7WzRc

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oh ok you said 3 so I got confused.

Yeah that's great, especially since while clock tower has supernatural elements to it, they're kinda "low" supernatural, at the end of the day the scissorman is still usually just some person in a mask with some big scissors. So in all likelihood, he went and scrawled that message out and faxed it just in case you ever found it.

Stuff like that and the computer screens with KILL on them are just wonderful, just lovely.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The fax machine reminds me of One Late Night. I never played the sequel and I hear it's awful, but the original has some really neat atmosphere. And it's free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S5QJCYyfI4

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm honestly not sure where the Clock Tower nostalgia comes from. Every time I've tried one it was really bad to actually play and the writing was never good enough to make up for it.

For me, Clock Tower is the closest thing adventure games got to Maniac Manson strangely enough (granted I've only played the first two). You're thrown into a non-linear environment, the puzzles are mostly simple, the bad guy is ever present, and the game is short/simple enough to warrant multiple plays.

And nothing really took the style of gameplay further. In the West adventure games jumped on the fully open 3D bandwagon and went to poo poo or didn't learn any lessons from LucasArts. In the East it got merged with visual novels and the closest thing to Clock Tower is Twilight Syndrome (also made by Human) which is Clock Tower made completely linear with visual novel story sequences.

Last year I brought up Tokyo Twilight Busters which is one of the coolest games in the survival horror genre we never got. It's Maniac Mansion + Clock Tower + Sweet Home + Big Visual Novel rolled into one crazy rear end game. If it got a 3DS remake instead of a DS one in 2010 I think Namco would've localized it. There's really nothing else like it then Wolf Team turned into the Tales Of studio.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

oops. I thought fax game was 3. (apparently there is two clock tower 2??)

anyways clock tower for snes was not great to play, but it still had some very unique 'scares' as well as some badass pixel art.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

chitoryu12 posted:

The fax machine reminds me of One Late Night. I never played the sequel and I hear it's awful, but
Someone mentioned One Late Night and its sequel so I feel like I have to mention that I was on a stream of it and it was the funniest, least scary, most lovely game ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psHjUaQb5-k
A real good time. Also features a fax machine that shows you news items that make no sense (SUN FLIPS UPSIDE DOWN).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

(apparently there is two clock tower 2??)

Yeah

SNES Clock Tower (Japan Only)
Clock Tower PS1 (A sequel to the SNES clock tower, basically Clock Tower 2)
Clock Tower: The First Fear (a japan only ps1 port of the snes clock tower with the unused stuff from the snes game enabled and fully implemented, tho that content amounted to like 1 item and 1 monster so not much of a difference there)
Clock Tower Ghost Head (released as Clock Tower 2 in the US, but really it was a spin-off involving one of the items you could find and interact with from the SNES game iirc and it was the first clock tower game the head clock tower dude didn't direct or whatevs)
Clock Tower 3 (the first clock tower game by Capcom, also didn't involve the original director, not a very good game, but an entertaining one, and I will defend Corroder as being an amazing design for a stalker character and I wish he was in a better game)
Haunting Ground (not a clock tower game, but was originally developed as one, and it basically plays like a clock tower game, I hear this one is actually pretty good)
Night Cry (the creator of clock tower making a new game with his own original character, the Scissor Walker, totally not a Scissor Man, looks like it attempts to go back to the SNES & PS1 style of play of being an adventure game)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haunting Ground actually IS pretty good, yeah. It's bizarre and has a lot of stuff to do with historical alchemy as part of its setting.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Speedball posted:

Haunting Ground actually IS pretty good, yeah. It's bizarre and has a lot of stuff to do with historical alchemy as part of its setting.
It's a good idea to preface this with the fact that the game is also pretty skeezy with some of it's idea, but yea, otherwise it's a graphically impressive game with solid mechanics and probably could have been a worthy continuation of the Clock Tower idea.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, right, some of it is skeezy. ...I must have put that part out of my mind.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
There's a great LP of haunting ground here. Seriously go watch if I you haven't seen it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The skeezy parts are the best parts!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Trying Oxenfree, so far Clarissa is a bitch. Thats my impression so far.

E: Voice acting is good.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Played Pony Island. Maybe not quite horror but goddamn was it fun.

Also unnerving a little cause I'm a huge puss

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
At the Mountains of Madness just entered early access.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393820

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Crashbee posted:

At the Mountains of Madness just entered early access.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393820

Surprise, it's gonna be poo poo

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Saw the dude shoot a penguin. Closed the video.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aw, I was hoping it would be like an Ice-Pick Lodge game where it's clunky and weird but strangely good. Seems the major issues are tech related so maybe it'll shape up into at least something interesting?

Anyway, the real Mountains of Madness game.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kokoro Wish posted:

Saw the dude shoot a penguin. Closed the video.

did the penguin have a racist name

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Normal Adult Human posted:

did the penguin have a racist name

It was a ridiculous looking mutant penguin of some sort, but the guys making the game are too dense to realise that Lovecraft was describing regular old natural penguins as "hideous and abhorrent" because he was afraid of anything new and weird. Conservative little freakshow that he was.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
aquatic birds are not part of a loving god's plan

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Aw, I was hoping it would be like an Ice-Pick Lodge game where it's clunky and weird but strangely good. Seems the major issues are tech related so maybe it'll shape up into at least something interesting?

Anyway, the real Mountains of Madness game.

I apparently already own this, huh

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I apparently already own this, huh

Play Eldritch, it's good. The first area is easy and unexciting but they ramp it up with neat enemies and clever tricks.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

It was a ridiculous looking mutant penguin of some sort, but the guys making the game are too dense to realise that Lovecraft was describing regular old natural penguins as "hideous and abhorrent" because he was afraid of anything new and weird. Conservative little freakshow that he was.

The penguins in the story were six feet tall, albino and eyeless.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Dave Angel posted:

The penguins in the story were six feet tall, albino and eyeless.

Only once they ventured into the underground. Before that he were just calling the overworld penguins and the despicible Esquimaux twisted and abhorrent.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Esquimaux aren't mentioned at all in At The Mountains of Madness. The story is set in Antarctica, there are no people there. Are you confusing it with Polaris?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Kokoro Wish posted:

To be fair Lovecraft was violently phobic of everything.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's kind of sad that Lovecraft did actually stop being a paranoid racist shithead but he did it not too long before he ended up dying an early death.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

VoidBurger posted:

I love John Carpenter's The Thing and ran into/bought the game version over the weekend.

Really excited to see if it lives up to the movie at all. The back of the box claims that it has mechanics where you manage your team's paranoia levels to keep them from freaking out on you. I hope that actually works out in-game and isn't just an annoying WalkingDead style "your choices REALLY don't matter" things.

It can't be worse than the prequel movie though, right?

The paranoia system isn't all that bad, but the main problem is that some thing-outs are scripted.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Surprise, it's gonna be poo poo

Oh hey, that's a flashlight and not actually a toilet plunger. I'm disappointed.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gromit posted:

Oh hey, that's a flashlight and not actually a toilet plunger. I'm disappointed.

A game wherein you have to periodically move your bowels, but spooky shits will plug toilets and haunt them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A game wherein you have to periodically move your bowels, but spooky shits will plug toilets and haunt them.
Don't poo poo Your Pants 2: Revelations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I bet you thought you were making a joke.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, there is a myth about a Japanese toilet monster.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Dave Angel posted:

Esquimaux aren't mentioned at all in At The Mountains of Madness. The story is set in Antarctica, there are no people there. Are you confusing it with Polaris?

Actually you are correct, no eskimos in that one, had to reread, but on regular overworld penguins he said:

"On the barren shore, and on the lofty ice barrier in the background, myriads of grotesque penguins squawked and flapped their fins, while many fat seals were visible on the water, swimming or sprawling across large cakes of slowly drifting ice."

and

" All the birds had flown away, save only the great, grotesque penguins."

Before the albino, eyeless ones are even introduced.

THE ABHORRENT PENGIEN!

Penguins are cute as gently caress and totally unafraid of people, what kind of man could call them "grotesque",

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 27, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Penguins are mulattos so naturally they are the grossest thing to Lovecraft. He probably pissed his pants when he saw an Oreo.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Never "twisted and abhorrent" though, you're projecting a bit there. But really, are you struggling with this game featuring giant, deformed penguins as enemies when it's based on a story featuring giant, deformed penguins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Dave Angel posted:

Never "twisted and abhorrent" though, you're projecting a bit there. But really, are you struggling with this game featuring giant, deformed penguins as enemies when it's based on a story featuring giant, deformed penguins?

I am actually against battling anything in a Lovecraft game over running away in screaming, blind terror or avoiding things lest it leads to running away in blind terror. The best parts of, say, the Shadow Over Innsmouth Game was fleeing in blind panic through the hotel. The worst parts were when you had a pistol and shot at things. Plus the stealth was garbage-weak.