Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Daily reminder that 90% of Pat's opinion are batshit insane. The dude hated Superman without even reading a single story and then read one purely out of spite.

In all honesty, I have a friend who is almost as opinionated as Pat. He hates Mario despite having never played Mario games (no, not even NES ones), and I can only tolerate one horribly wrong person at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Patrick, those feelings, that passion... they weren't wrong....

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

Daily reminder that 90% of Pat's opinion are batshit insane. The dude hated Superman without even reading a single story and then read one purely out of spite.

In all honesty, I have a friend who is almost as opinionated as Pat. He hates Mario despite having never played Mario games (no, not even NES ones), and I can only tolerate one horribly wrong person at a time.

And yet he is still the second most reasonable person in the group.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You're not wrong

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Andrast posted:

And yet he is still the second most reasonable person in the group.

Right behind Zach, yeah.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PiedPiper posted:

superman loving sucks though

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

superman loving sucks though

That is exactly what my friend would say if I told him to play some Mario games.
"BUT THEY'RE ALL GARBAGE FOR KIDS"

Eh, I don't have a stake in this argument either way.
I still like Pat, but he tends to be a loud mouth.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Pat being a loud mouth is great though because it usually leads to him eating poo poo super hard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PiedPiper posted:

That is exactly what my friend would say if I told him to play some Mario games.
"BUT THEY'RE ALL GARBAGE FOR KIDS"
no, like

I've read far more superman than I'd like to admit because I used to be able to pick a lot of issues up in the 25 cent bin at the local comic shop, and man, superman by and large is gaaaaarbage. It's the inverse of Mario in that Mario has a few subpar entries in the series that has been going on for decades, while superman is a whole lotta crap punctuated by extremely brief bouts of quality

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Counterpoint:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

no, like

I've read far more superman than I'd like to admit because I used to be able to pick a lot of issues up in the 25 cent bin at the local comic shop, and man, superman by and large is gaaaaarbage. It's the inverse of Mario in that Mario has a few subpar entries in the series that has been going on for decades, while superman is a whole lotta crap punctuated by extremely brief bouts of quality

That's just comics in general. Whole lotta crap punctuated by brief bouts of quality.

Superman does suck though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 26, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
e: ^^^ yeah that

If you're picking up a random issue of a mainstream superhero comic by DC or Marvel, odds are it'll be bad. Good stories about popular characters in these two companies are the exception, not the rule. Some characters tend to have a better ratio than others. Supes has probably the worst, because there are so many stories about him and so few are truly actually good.

What I'm getting at is Superman sucks, basically.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Andrast posted:

That's just comics in general. Whole lotta crap punctuated brief bouts of quality.

Superman does suck though.

But when it's good, boy does it knock it out of the park. Like Transmetropolitan. Or Y: The Last Man, though that went on for like one volume too long.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Transmetropolitan is some facile, pretentious poo poo. It's very good at pretending that it has more going on than it actually does.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Or Y: The Last Man, though that went on for like one volume too long.

God, I hate Brian K. Vaughan's writing. It's forced when it's trying to be witty, saccharine when it's trying to be emotional, and childish when it's trying to be shocking.
Ex Machina was mostly good, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the longest, consistently good comics runs I'd recommend are Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Chris Claremont's X-Men and even the first and last there are not for everyone

all three of those are also good for reading and going "Oh, that's where this thing that's been in the pop culture mindset for forever comes from"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
post a thing that's well received and I guarantee you'll get some moron who can't resist making GBS threads on it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Invictus posted:

post a thing that's well received and I guarantee you'll get some moron who can't resist making GBS threads on it

well that's what I was getting at earlier

it's the internet everyone has different opinions! that's what makes it fun!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
or the worst??? you decide.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

We all are these morons, Captain Invictus.
We all are.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PiedPiper posted:

We all are these morons, Captain Invictus.
We all are.
edit a log of poo poo in place of the cherry in your avatar

that's the internet

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

edit a log of poo poo in place of the cherry in your avatar

that's the internet

So what you're saying is that internet is good?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Transmetropolitan is the most toothless work of agitprop since Charles Dickens's entire oeuvre. So it's no wonder why nerds love it's shallow populism so much.

Carl Barks' s Duck comics, now that's art.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
amazing how you go from someone merely mentioning a generally well-regarded series as an example to is-it-art judgements. No wonder people think you're nuts, BOTL

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
BOTL is cool

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry for talking about comics.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you should be

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Yeah comics are for stupid babies now lets go back to squabbling for pages about aaaaaaanimeeeeeee

E: Anybody who takes Transmet seriously are as moronic as those who watch Fight Club and think "Yeah, Tyler Durden had it right man!"

E2: Bravest of the Lamps, if you can't handle Transmet don't read Punk Rock Jesus, your head might explode in rage.

DPM fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 26, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm more surprised Pat like Michael Cera as the villain because that just seems like such a weird decision.

Also big news! Konami is making games again! Exactly like you think they would!
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/713560255997812736

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DumbparameciuM posted:

E2: Bravest of the Lamps, if you can't handle Transmet don't read Punk Rock Jesus, your head might explode in rage.

Just :lol: at Punk Rock Jesus's hot take on the Irish Troubles.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 26, 2016

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

Where's my Contra pachinko machine, Konami

I am glad that Woolie convinced Pat to read All-Star Superman, which is a legitimately good Superman comic. He should try and get Pat to try Red Son next, or something.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

who the gently caress would want contra on a smartphone

who the gently caress would want contra PVP

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Indecisive posted:

who the gently caress would want contra PVP

I mean, it's called Contra, it should've had versus from the get go. :colbert:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://twitter.com/Aquaczaz/status/713772471640403968

Pat was Lex Luthor all along. It all makes sense.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

HGH posted:

https://twitter.com/Aquaczaz/status/713772471640403968

Pat was Lex Luthor all along. It all makes sense.

I thought we already established that Pat is Lex Luthor, only without the height and money.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I thought we already established that Pat is Lex Luthor, only without the height and money.

At least he's got his hair.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

At least he's got his hair.

uhhhh...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wonder if Liam will still be too dead for this week's podcast. On a whim I checked his twitter and noticed the follower numbers the Zaibatsu have, just an interesting tidbit of quality i suppose:
Channel: 48.4K
Matt: 41.5K
Pat: 40.8K
Woolie: 39K
Liam: 32.3K

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
People who think that twitter followers are the measure of self worth are really wrong headed in their priorities.

Also, Lex luther when given an opportunity is more handsome and better looking than Superman confirmed, also cooler since he can double as ganondorf:-

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Quick biology lesson based on episode 3 of Twilight Princess:

Goliath Tarantula, AKA Goliath Birdeater (Theraphosa blondi): Biggest tarantula, not actually dangerous to humans, doesn't catch birds on purpose.

Coconut Crab (Birgus latro): Biggest land arthropod, actually a type of Hermit Crab. Not dangerous to humans. They start off as regular sized hermit crabs until they grow too big for the shells.

Japanese Spider Crab (Macrocheira kaempferi): Largest species of crab, live in cold ocean depths. Not dangerous to humans.

Camel Spider (order Solifugae ): Not a spider but a category of arachnid, not venomous, not dangerous to humans. Sometimes known to "chase" people because they want to hide in your shadow.