Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I wish I could find a link but I read a hilarious account of just how much of a debacle that battle and the build up to it was from the Russian perspective. It included a Russian ship shelling a Swedish trawler in the Baltic Sea because they thought it was Japanese. If you look at a map you'll see how ridiculous that was. And yes, the Russians set off to fight Japan by sailing west. Mutinies, ships getting lost, breaking down, scurvy...the works.

I'm not sure if this is the event you are thinking of but they did shell and sink/damage a few british trawlers off Dogger Bank (and damaged a pair of their own cruisers) which brought the British to within a hairs breadth of war with Russia, the home fleet spend a fair bit of time very conspicuously following the Russians all the way down the coast of portugal while diplomacy ensued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Night10194 posted:

Well, one of the problems with crazy militarist governments like the Nazis and the Imperial Japanese is that they're structurally and ideologically unable to accurately assess their enemies. Everyone else is always a decadent inferior who will obviously crumble before your incredible will to victory and power.

Conversely, they do have an advantage when your living God tells you to quit walking around like it's still the 16th Century and start learning how to build ships and fight modern wars.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Conversely, they do have an advantage when your living God tells you to quit walking around like it's still the 16th Century and start learning how to build ships and fight modern wars.

That ended well for them

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

That ended well for them

Well, to be fair, they first modernised because of a civil war, and because all the major foreign powers were starting to hang around like creepy stalkers, just itching to plant a flag and start bossing the place about like they did in China not long before.

Just turned out that the people who won the civil war had no real interest in stopping there.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 25, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

There was basically an actual reason Japan thought 'If we win a big decisive battle our enemies will sue for peace' and that reason was because it had happened before. It doesn't make their decisions in WWII any more sane, but it does help explain them.

Additionally to this desire to win a "decisive victory" to end a war, they also had flawed ideas about how to achieve it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantai_Kessen
"Kantai Kessen" was the naval strategy of winning a decisive battle by crushing the enemy surface fleet with one's own battleship force. This is sort of the reasoning that went behind Japan spending tons of resources on building the Yamato and Musashi, even after it was already clear that CVs were the future of naval combat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MoraleHazard posted:

Everyone should read Shattered Sword. The planes on the flight deck is one persistent myth that didn't really happen because the IJN hadn't enough time to get them there. Also, the Japanese CV's enclosed flight decks made it impossible to push burning aircraft and ordinance over the side the way open sided USA CV's could. Additionally, Japanese damage control abilities were much worse than their US counterparts and neither side had a solid idea of the shock and concussive damage caused to shaft seals, steam piping etc. The USA managed to get a handle on that over the course of the war while the IJN didn't.

Funnest one was the Taiho. Took a single torpedo hit in the Philippine sea, which broke open some of its aviation fuel tankage. The leaking gas started accumulating in the forward flight deck elevator pit, since the flooding gave the ship a bow-down attitude, and the vapors started filling the hangar decks. Since the decks were enclosed like you mention, they decided to crank the ship's ventilation systems to the max and open all doors and hatches, and turned the entire ship into a huge floating fuel-air bomb. Which then blew the gently caress up.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So the concealment on the Russian Bog cruiser is interesting. I like to play it similarly to a DD and sneak up to close-ish range while my allies get shot and then deliver buckets of HE into folks. It worked out a couple games.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

JuffoWup posted:

Kutuzov is back in the premium shop again if anyone is interested in a pretty solid tier 8 cruiser. For those not aware and are new, the kutuzov has a range similar if not longer than the battleships in that bracket with a 19km range. And her ap shells are still quite decent.

What do you mean removed? Or did you mean added? Because I don't see any notice about them being removed on the US page and I don't see why they would be removed anyway.

It was on the Euro servers and the ships were unlocked yesterday. There was no nickname on the screen, and it looked like a server announcement. Any other Euro player got this? i'm not sure if blank names are allowed or could have been a mistake server side.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

kaesarsosei posted:

The Bogatyr is amazing though, I'm definately considering keeping it. And this is from someone who didn't like St Louis, although that was a long time ago.

I don't understand the appeal of any below t4 cruiser or BB. It's basically Eve Online combat where each ship is a sphere with a movement vector and HP count that trades DPS with another sphere till one of them reaches 0 HP. If I want that I play EVE.

Night10194 posted:

There was basically an actual reason Japan thought 'If we win a big decisive battle our enemies will sue for peace' and that reason was because it had happened before. It doesn't make their decisions in WWII any more sane, but it does help explain them.

Extrapolating a trend from a sample of one: always a good idea.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Today's wonders that never cease:

A nagato driver proclaims that the tirpitz is just an oversized kawachi. I'm the one driving the tirpitz. Queue later into the game I go right up and get into close range of both our secondaries. The key he forgets is that my secondaries also including a torp launcher. Normally, getting inside secondary fire of a nagato is a bad idea, the tirpitz is perhaps the only one that can and should do it, just to prove a point.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I keep getting the worst god drat teams today. I'm the first to admit that I'm a bad player, so when I'm consistently at the top of my team after a loss, it frankly pisses me off.
What's with MM anyways? Its like it lobs me with with all the worst this game has to offer.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

JuffoWup posted:

Today's wonders that never cease:

A nagato driver proclaims that the tirpitz is just an oversized kawachi. I'm the one driving the tirpitz. Queue later into the game I go right up and get into close range of both our secondaries. The key he forgets is that my secondaries also including a torp launcher. Normally, getting inside secondary fire of a nagato is a bad idea, the tirpitz is perhaps the only one that can and should do it, just to prove a point.

But wait there's more? Tell us you poo poo on the Nagato and after he had a melt down you casually said "Oversized Kawachi huh?"

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

demonR6 posted:

But wait there's more? Tell us you poo poo on the Nagato and after he had a melt down you casually said "Oversized Kawachi huh?"

I really wanted to, but it was hard to say anything seeing as I died to a torp spread from a kutuzov shortly afterwards. Still felt vindicated. And honestly, the kawachi theoretically shouldn't be bad when it comes to brawling ranges. There is a lot of guns on each side and they are dedicated to those sides meaning you can't just come in from the side it isn't firing towards to get free shots. Assuming the driver is intelligent. This isn't much the case however. Also, it is slow making it a chore to get inside those ranges.

Edit: Either way my team won, so whatever, I did my part in helping them get there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Four loving poo poo-eating minutes for a T1 queue to be able to sell the Orlan again and I get a team full of bed-shitters. I swear to loving christ they'd be better off sailing to ram. Their K:D ratios would go up.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm still debating getting the Kutuzov. I can't make up my drat mind.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

wdarkk posted:

I'm still debating getting the Kutuzov. I can't make up my drat mind.

It makes good money.

(2500 ish base xp)

Unfortunately I can't be counted on performing that well overtime and thus, am always broke.

Too bad it doesn't get the radar.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 26, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Krogort posted:

It makes good money.

(2500 ish base xp)

Unfortunately I can't be counted on performing that well overtime and thus, am always broke.

Too bad it doesn't get the radar.

It might get it when wargaming patches again. US CAs T8+ are supposed to get Surveillance Radar, but wargaming apparently didn't have enough time to include that in the patch :wargaming:
So they'll get it soon, and possibly the Kutuzov with them.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Guess what's on sale on EU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I just picked up the Kutuzov. It feels like a pre-nerf Mogami with three less guns and better AA. Not hard on the eyes either, which makes sense since it's based off an Italian design.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's a good skill setup for cruisers (Soviet in particular) now that BFT/AFT has been nerfed?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Krogort posted:

Guess what's on sale on EU

:barf:

I also just had the most hilarious clusterfuck of a match ever during the daily free XP/cash Atago grind, today on Shatter. I died five minutes into the match after afk running into the enemy on our side before coming back to the computer, but took out a Hatsu, a Yorck, and a Tirpitz before dying. The rest of the team on my side of the map sank the remaining cruisers while the enemy BBs on the other side ran away to our side and left their cruisers to die.

After everyone on our team hit F9 since the match was 7:3 in our favour, all of our BBs steamed in straight lines straight into the torpedos of the one remaining enemy DD one after the other. The two surviving enemy BBs mopped the floor with all our cruisers for losing one BB, putting the enemy barely ahead in points a minute before the end of the match and leaving us with one Fletcher with 2k HP. Cue the surviving enemy Tirpitz... running straight into the Fletcher's unaimed wide spread of torpedos seconds before the match ends.

Incompetence wins the day again.

e: Look on my pubbies, ye goons, and despair!

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 26, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

:sigh:

Top xp on my team too. It helped that our wyoming was afk, and I don't know what the rest of the team was doing while I played rear end in a top hat denier to the east cap point of fault line.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

ok so the Kirov is a citadelling machine

cool

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So tired of Wargaming's worthless as hell MM. In the space of about 6 matches tonight, I've been the singular T3 cruiser tossed into an otherwise T4/5 game twice, and another where I actually had a counterpart on the enemy team, but again was otherwise purely T4/5. It is a loving Saturday night, balancing tiers with the population currently on should be child's play.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

marxismftw posted:

ok so the Kirov is a citadelling machine

cool

Yeah I love the feel of the guns. Turns like a bitch and is made of paper though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

So tired of Wargaming's worthless as hell MM. In the space of about 6 matches tonight, I've been the singular T3 cruiser tossed into an otherwise T4/5 game twice, and another where I actually had a counterpart on the enemy team, but again was otherwise purely T4/5. It is a loving Saturday night, balancing tiers with the population currently on should be child's play.

It took me 4+ minutes last night each time to get two Orlan fights to earn the xp to start the Russian cruiser line. I should've just co-oped.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Sometimes I don't get this game and it can be frustrating as hell.
I'm shooting t a Kongo with my Nurnberg dropping as much HE on him as I can. Plenty of hits, little to no dmg and no fires or anything.
Most of his hp gets taken out by other players and just when he's at like 1000 hp, thats when I start actually damaging him and I end up stealing the kill.

Its great to get a kill but what I'm trying to do is actual damage and causing fires.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

So ive been playing that new tier III Boyardee cruiser and its fun once fully upgraded. The Svietlana though looks like it should be called the Karlruhe II. Basically the same gun-wise as your tier III, but faster and equipped with 4km torps? Are there really any redeeming qualities or should I just free exp past it because the Kirov looks neat, if flawed.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

I wish I could find a link but I read a hilarious account of just how much of a debacle that battle and the build up to it was from the Russian perspective. It included a Russian ship shelling a Swedish trawler in the Baltic Sea because they thought it was Japanese. If you look at a map you'll see how ridiculous that was. And yes, the Russians set off to fight Japan by sailing west. Mutinies, ships getting lost, breaking down, scurvy...the works.

Was it this one?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

This kinda matches up to my experience in the US Navy. Everything was hosed up all the time and I always wondered how the hell we ever won a war, and then I saw how other Navies ran, and then I realized that we sorta had it together.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Dalael posted:

I'm shooting t a Kongo with my Nurnberg dropping as much HE on him as I can. Plenty of hits, little to no dmg and no fires or anything.
Most of his hp gets taken out by other players and just when he's at like 1000 hp, thats when I start actually damaging him and I end up stealing the kill.

Its great to get a kill but what I'm trying to do is actual damage and causing fires.

With a German cruiser you're better off trying to put AP into the superstructure. It's quite likely that the ship was damage saturated on its superstructure, which means HE will stop damaging it, and then you found some final undestroyed AA guns or something.

German chance to start fires is unbelievably terrible.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
So I played Russian cruisers a bit. Played Novik and Bogatyr only. And Novik is a tiny tiny cruiser. With DD guns and DD rudder shift and DD HP. I think it got promoted to cruiser due to nepotism. :3 Bogatyr on other hand is:

It cannot go head to head with St.Loius on account of having like 30% less HP and much less armor but in Bogatyr you got some range on St.L, you like a knot faster, your guns are just better and to me it seem that Bogatyr got better gun arcs. Cant wait to Kirov. Judging by stats it will be a beast.

Dalael posted:

German HE is poo poo. Like completely useless. Dont try to cause fires. Just shoot AP and do damage. Good volley from Nurn will chunk off like 5-6k of HP off Kongo if not more. You shoot a volley every 4 seconds.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It took me 4+ minutes last night each time to get two Orlan fights to earn the xp to start the Russian cruiser line. I should've just co-oped.
Don't you have like 500 free XP

I skip Tier 1-2 or 1-3 ships on principle.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

wdarkk posted:

With a German cruiser you're better off trying to put AP into the superstructure. It's quite likely that the ship was damage saturated on its superstructure, which means HE will stop damaging it, and then you found some final undestroyed AA guns or something.

German chance to start fires is unbelievably terrible.

Lady Morgaga posted:

So I played Russian cruisers a bit. Played Novik and Bogatyr only. And Novik is a tiny tiny cruiser. With DD guns and DD rudder shift and DD HP. I think it got promoted to cruiser due to nepotism. :3 Bogatyr on other hand is:

It cannot go head to head with St.Loius on account of having like 30% less HP and much less armor but in Bogatyr you got some range on St.L, you like a knot faster, your guns are just better and to me it seem that Bogatyr got better gun arcs. Cant wait to Kirov. Judging by stats it will be a beast.

German HE is poo poo. Like completely useless. Dont try to cause fires. Just shoot AP and do damage. Good volley from Nurn will chunk off like 5-6k of HP off Kongo if not more. You shoot a volley every 4 seconds.

Ok, i'll definitely go straight for Ap next time cuz HE was totally worthless.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Upgrade the guns on your Svetlana... just did 12 citadels in my first game. Team lost miserably. No surprise there.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

jownzy posted:

Upgrade the guns on your Svetlana... just did 12 citadels in my first game. Team lost miserably. No surprise there.

Why? Are they different in any way except turn rate and +100 AP damage?

edit: Cool. Will buy. :)

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 27, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

PirateBob posted:

Why? Are they different in any way except turn rate and +100 AP damage?

The arcs are much flatter. The AP pen's constantly. I was shooting mostly cruisers, but I won a 3 on 1, by melting all of them.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

jownzy posted:

The arcs are much flatter. The AP pen's constantly. I was shooting mostly cruisers, but I won a 3 on 1, by melting all of them.

Ok I was pretty skeptical about the Svietlana, but I just had a 100k+ damage, High Caliber/Confederate/Kraken game in one. The AP even does pretty unpleasant damage to the St. Louis at ranges under 10k - wasnt getting citadels but shots were chipping away 600, 1200, etc pretty regularly. Against low tier trash though the HE pens so well relatively that it still does pretty good damage when trying to kite BBs at maximum range.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
On that subject, what in the early RU cruiser line is worth skipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

TheDemon posted:

On that subject, what in the early RU cruiser line is worth skipping?

I skipped the Novik, no ragrets

Bogy and Svietlana are certainly way better than the Kolberg and Karlruhe. Kirov is probably where ill stop.