Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Saint Sputnik posted:

Thanks! Someone caught a goof I made with the original file that prevented some of the songs from playing so I hope you got the fixed version.

Turns out you can do a lot with the FO4Edit program, and it's as simple as changing or adding some text fields. I've only come across two mods that use scripts, one that adds a sleeping bag and one that kind of works as an alternate start mod but is kind of poo poo.

I am using the version .1000000000 version or so that up on the Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Just in case anyone missed it, if you want to keep your gui mod and enjoy the new dlc, here is a fix for the crash. maybe : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11218/

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

staberind posted:

Just in case anyone missed it, if you want to keep your gui mod and enjoy the new dlc, here is a fix for the crash. maybe : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11218/

"Special Gamebryo Magic" is right. What a loving bizarre bug.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

A few goodies:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11274/

Pipe shotgun. Seems like an obvious omission, but here it is. Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks good.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11278/

3 Craftable hats for Automatrons. Because why the gently caress WOULDN'T you want this poo poo? Bowler hat, Ironsides' hat, and chef's hat.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11233/
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11243

Moddable Greygarden bots and DRINKIN BUDDY. Because it's a loving travesty that that poo poo wasn't default. Also, apparently you can make as many copies of Buddy as you like.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thanks, I found a .rar of all the stuff I need to install but testing on my desktop vs laptop confirms that my desktop is all kinds of hosed up. It's in bad need of a reformat, so until then installing the nifscripts will hardlock the desktop. It's not the end of the world, still got plenty to learn.

I've learned a bunch about normals but I doubt things are being done correctly or efficiently. Right now the head, the handle and the grip all have their own sets of AO, Normals, and Base textures because I couldn't figure out how to manage the UVs and to merge normals the way I wanted to. I used a nice GIMP plugin to convert small detail to a normal map, so now I can make the rubber grip and head look kinda cool. Well, except for the fact that I'm pretty sure the logo isn't centered, isn't interesting looking, and generally looks bad. Whatever, I'm no graphics designer. It's a test or something.

I've got gradients put on it and was about to start doing color painting for variation, but for whatever reason the draw brush doesn't do anything. I get the fill to work just fine, but I can't draw on my objects? When I create a test cube mesh and draw it everything is fine, but not on my actual objects. Not really sure what's going on but I'll keep poking at it. I think I'll do some dirtying up with that, and finish up with any rigging or weighting or whatever I need to do.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gonkish posted:

A few goodies:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11274/

Pipe shotgun. Seems like an obvious omission, but here it is. Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks good.

this looks like someone ported over a tf2 gun, I kind of hate it

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Looking good, when you have it all done and confident enough perhaps make a rusty bloody unique version as well?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SeanBeansShako posted:

Looking good, when you have it all done and confident enough perhaps make a rusty bloody unique version as well?

how about a physics enables supersized spiked dildobat as well... uhm asking for a friend.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdUjTB-C08

ASTERISK CHUCKLE ASTERISK YOU HEARD CODESWORTH

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdUjTB-C08

ASTERISK CHUCKLE ASTERISK YOU HEARD CODESWORTH

Well guess this just answers all the questions I had about custom voice acting.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Are there any mods that make power armour rarer? I found an overhaul that makes fusion cores rarer. I'd like to make using power armour a special occasion!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

TescoBag posted:

Are there any mods that make power armour rarer? I found an overhaul that makes fusion cores rarer. I'd like to make using power armour a special occasion!

I was thinking the same thing today. I remember when I first played the game I found a set of power armor at the bottom of a lake and that felt like a rare treasure. By the end I had enough suits for half the wasteland and enough cores to never ever leave it or run out of ammo for my laser chaingun. I guess that mod would have to go manually remove many of the pre-placed sets scattered around the wasteland. I think most of the military outposts have one. Theres a ton.

Oh, and Saint Sputnik. I started using your radio mod. I love it! For some reason it feels way better roaming the wasteland with it than the regular radio. I think the blues fit into the background easily, whereas the regular radio is more or less pop songs that have a lot of ear worms, but quickly become played out. Great job with the robo-DJ too.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Wrr posted:

Oh, and Saint Sputnik. I started using your radio mod. I love it! For some reason it feels way better roaming the wasteland with it than the regular radio. I think the blues fit into the background easily, whereas the regular radio is more or less pop songs that have a lot of ear worms, but quickly become played out. Great job with the robo-DJ too.

Awesome, that's good feedback, thanks. I'm in the process of cherrypicking another list of 20-30 extra songs, including a bunch of artists not currently on it, so I'll see if I can get those added this weekend. I wish play was randomized, but it wasn't in the example framework I used so I'll have to see if I can figure it out. I think with the vanilla radio, you get a different song every time you load a save, but DW picks up with the same song in progress and I found it a little irritating in repeat-dying gunfights.

At the same time, I'm considering putting some selections from the Conet Project together (https://archive.org/details/ird059) into a numbers station sort of creepy-as-gently caress ambient radio. Need to come up with some lore for it though.

And yesterday I updated my Caps and Masks mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8836/) since someone released some neck- and head-wearable bandanas and let me integrate those models, plus I had some knit caps I'd been meaning to publish.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TescoBag posted:

You don't ever have to use power armor. I've spent dozens of hours with completions for every non-minuteman faction and only ever used power armor to talk to Virgil.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A mod that puts one complete set of each armor in the game at a set location and cuts the rest would be fantastic.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Xenoid posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6473/

This plus the one above can give you a lot of adjustment.

Does this work with a save game? I'd be very surprised if it does. Is this considered the best difficulty mod now?

I can't imagine this works well with the Survival Rebalance. Why up damage while also killing health scaling? It should either be one or the other.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Deified Data posted:

A mod that puts one complete set of each armor in the game at a set location and cuts the rest would be fantastic.

I'd love that, also to add to this idea only a handful of the suits are complete. The rest of the suits in the world are really just spare frames and your going to have to get around to repairing them from scratch.

Maybe a mod that gives you an option to convert a power armour frame into some pretty decent medium tier armour as well?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
If there is a mod to make only one full suit of each power armor, then go the extra distance and make it a quest line. Don't make it chance that you stumble upon the armor, that would be frustrating. Create some sort of a story, maybe a "treasure map" sort of deal detailing one armor after another. Each power armor is guarded, so it'll be a difficult fight.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What would you do about BoS?

Though I guess there's an in game example of BoS causing their suits to weld themselves shut to get it out of people's hands.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Maybe there's a way to make all the suits in the hanger but yours unwearable? They could be the sole source of T-60, making them wagging the prospect of power armor in your face when you first join them actually meaningful. Alternately maybe you could grab some T-60 from the Atom Cats.

Revol posted:

If there is a mod to make only one full suit of each power armor, then go the extra distance and make it a quest line. Don't make it chance that you stumble upon the armor, that would be frustrating. Create some sort of a story, maybe a "treasure map" sort of deal detailing one armor after another. Each power armor is guarded, so it'll be a difficult fight.

Definitely. Give the player their T-45 for free at the start like always but have everything else be related to a quest. Who would give it? The Cats seem appropriate, being power armor enthusiasts.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 27, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Just uploaded a 40-track expansion to DWR, and I serendipitously found how to more or less randomize play. It's 38 new songs and two station IDs. New artists include Mississippi John Hurt, Texas Alexander, Robert Johnson and Sam Collins.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11087/

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

quote:

Power Armor Talk

For me, part of the fun of it was simply finding and it being excited because it seemed rare and important. However once I started another play through I instantly knew where they all were and it was trivial to get them. Personally, I would mod it so that over-all less power armor spawns in the world, they have a TON of potential new areas to spawn in, and on the start a new game the mod rolls against that potential spawn area and chooses which to spawn in the world. I think this would be a good way to continually recapture the feeling of discovery. I guess the Cats would still sell their power armor cause thats their whole shtick. Jack up the place maybe, I dunno.

Saint Sputnik posted:

At the same time, I'm considering putting some selections from the Conet Project together (https://archive.org/details/ird059) into a numbers station sort of creepy-as-gently caress ambient radio. Need to come up with some lore for it though.

Your mod did get me thinking about what I'm going to do with regards to radio stations in my future mods. I used to be a radio maint-tech for ATCALS stuff and radios are near and dear to my heart. I derive sexual pleasure from radio chatter and a perfect 1khz tone. I was thinking maybe a bunch of smaller radio stations you can only hear in certain geographic areas. Maybe an ATIS broadcast playing from the airport (BoS could have a quest to co-opt it for their propaganda or something), or some sort of "Sky-King" style emergency broadcasts from the army base? There is precedent for these smaller radio stations in FO3. I think there were number stations too?

Oh, and remember, it's totally possible for shortwave or AM freqs to bounce off the ionosphere and transmit across the globe! Add in some fluff about the nuclear fallout making that way easier to do and suddenly we have an excuse for RUSSIAN RADIO (or, Chinese I guess).

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Wrr posted:

Your mod did get me thinking about what I'm going to do with regards to radio stations in my future mods. I used to be a radio maint-tech for ATCALS stuff and radios are near and dear to my heart. I derive sexual pleasure from radio chatter and a perfect 1khz tone. I was thinking maybe a bunch of smaller radio stations you can only hear in certain geographic areas. Maybe an ATIS broadcast playing from the airport (BoS could have a quest to co-opt it for their propaganda or something), or some sort of "Sky-King" style emergency broadcasts from the army base? There is precedent for these smaller radio stations in FO3. I think there were number stations too?

Oh, and remember, it's totally possible for shortwave or AM freqs to bounce off the ionosphere and transmit across the globe! Add in some fluff about the nuclear fallout making that way easier to do and suddenly we have an excuse for RUSSIAN RADIO (or, Chinese I guess).

What would be really cool is if the radio functioned like your PDA in certain Stalker mods. There's one for Clear Sky where you overhear a lot of chatter in general and some of it is world-related, like the location of a monster or someone announcing he has a special item for sale. It would make sense a lot of factions would have their own bands they use to coordinate stuff, like Railroad agents sending coded messages or merchants talking about trade routes, dangers, etc.

I can imagine the functionality would be there... Radio songs are set up the same as dialog options, and those can have quest conditions attached (such as, in this case, spawning a monster or randomly generated high-level item).

And Old World Radio, which is a pretty massive collection of different genres, has the Gopnik station which is Russian music. I haven't listened to it enough to say if it's very good or not.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 27, 2016

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Edit: Never mind. Figured it out.

RaspberryCommie fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 27, 2016

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

A cool thing is that when I first made the UVs for my meat tenderizer I had trouble fitting them all on one image so I eventually said gently caress it and gave the handle, grip, teeth and head objects their own UV maps. Now that its time to bake the final texture I have to rejoin everything and I'm hosed. So, time to redo all the textures! I guess it is fine, I wasn't in love with the logo I slapped on there anyways.

Although, I haven't checked how the game handles modifiable weapons. Maybe it'll be fine if each of the weapon parts is its own mesh and texture?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Are you new to 3D modeling? I don't see any reason why you need to have every piece joined back together for baking maps, just bake them separately and combine in an image editing program later.

If you want it upgradable, you're probably going to want each piece to be its own model, though, yeah, depending on what's going to be swapped out.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Are you new to 3D modeling? I don't see any reason why you need to have every piece joined back together for baking maps, just bake them separately and combine in an image editing program later.

If you want it upgradable, you're probably going to want each piece to be its own model, though, yeah, depending on what's going to be swapped out.

Yes, this is more first model. I'm following the game asset creation video series and more or less just doing what the guy who made those is doing. When he finishes all the normals, textures, AO, diffusion, gradients, etc, he joins all the pieces together and then creates one single texture image and one single normal map image for the game engine (in this case TF2) to load. If I were to do that with my current setup, all the UVs would be ontop of each other and it would be a clusterfuck. I guess I should study the FO4 specific part of the process a bit more.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alright, well it sounds like you've got to get a better handle on your UVs. You definitely do not want them to overlap when you're baking maps. UVing is an art and a skill all its own, and it's definitely intimidating if you're a beginner. Having to restart in order to get better texture space is something to be expected. There's a lot of old stuff I've done where I'd love to go back and tighten up that texture space a little more.

For optimization's sake, joining everything into one map and object would be the best path. On the other hand, if you ever plan on making different heads for the hammer or different handles, leaving them as separate objects (and separate texture maps for each object) would be the best idea, it sounds like. You've got the general idea though, that each piece should have its own section of the UVs. If you want to combine it all into one item, all it really sounds like you need to do is move each part of the final, single object's UVs into their own non-overlapping section.

e: nevermind

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 27, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Mind you that Source (TF2's version at least) probably has two maps: Diffuse (the basic color texture) and normal. FO4 likely has the diffuse, normal, specular, and may have a few others as well. For a decent idea of texture mapping amounts look at this Planetside 2 creation guide from their own site:

Planetside 2 Player Studio Guidelines posted:

MATERIALS AND UVS

To make item creation as accessible as possible, we will only be providing you with two maps - a Diffuse (Color) Map and a Normal Map - to work from. Below you will see other maps that are used by the art team. We may enhance your submission with any appropriate additional maps to make sure it works best in game.

List of Texture Maps:

Diffuse (Color): Assign the UVs to any area of the texture sheet except for the areas marked in bright red.
Normal: To stay within triangle limitations it is good to find areas of your helmet that can use normal map detail.
Smoothness (specularity): Surfaces like lenses, glass, or polished metal have high spec which appears white on the map. Matted or flat areas with little or no specularity are black or darker values on the map.
Metallic (shine): White makes the metal appear chrome. Darker values give the texture a flat metal finish.
Dielectric (Gloss):White gives a glossy finish. The darker the value, the thinner the glossy coat.
Emissive (Brightness): White is 100% brightness. Most of our emissives stay around 50-75% white so as not to be too distracting in game.
Detail Select: is on a 2nd UV set (not supported by OBJ). This 2nd set is assigned to the detail cube. Each color on the Detail Select map represents a side of the cube containing a custom pattern. UVs on the 2nd set are kept uniform so that the patterns flow nicely on the model.
Tint (Color or Pattern Overlay): The tint map is black and white, white being the tintable area.

Example maps 1-8 mentioned above:

Obviously this is probably the worst case overly complicated scenario (you won't have to worry about at least five of those that I can figure) but just for an idea of how much texturing goes into this. The entire model should unwrap into a single texture and the only reason you have multiple textures is because you have multiple texture TYPES. It's all a bit complex to just suddenly jump in to and there's actually a whole TON of subtle nuance to getting good unwraps/textures. Don't worry about it too much, just keep plugging away and you'll get it. Your work so far looks good and now it's just a matter of translating it into a game asset, and that may actually be more of a GECK thing than anything you can help at the moment.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

As far as I know FO4 just uses the diffuse, normal and specular maps, but there's also a Material file (BGSM) that governs all three (and is used for palletswaps without having to edit the model itself). There's a tool for creating one; I've only used it to edit existing. But it's nothing you need to worry about till after the model and its UV maps are finished.

Also don't forget that with something like a hammer, you can stack the segments of the UV that are going to look identical, like the metal faces of the hammer head. You should be able to resize individual segments too, depending on the level of detail it needs -- the bottom of the handle won't be seen much so its segment doesn't need to be the same scale as everything else.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I'd be pretty drat surprised if Fallout 4 doesn't use PBR instead of the old specular/glossiness route.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
50/50. It's nothing more than an enhanced Skyrim Gamebryo BUT they also obviously rewrote a lot of the rendering for it already, they may have gone whole hog.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Wrr posted:

Although, I haven't checked how the game handles modifiable weapons. Maybe it'll be fine if each of the weapon parts is its own mesh and texture?

I haven't done anything with the melee weapons but this is exactly how the guns work. Take the .44 as an example. There is the receiver, barrel, scope, and grip. Each of those parts will link to a different .NIF. I would open up something like the bat in Nifscope so you can see what is going on. There are going to be reference points that your model won't have yet that FO4 needs for the upgrade parts. When I made my first gun I used the base .44 receiver as a template so I had all the reference points I needed already.

Here is my current attempt at a laser musket blunderbuss. I can't for the life of me get the texture files to play nicely though.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Wrr posted:

Just had a thought - imagine assigning some of these spooky stations to roving eyebots. You're walking around and hear some distorted foreign voice dispassionately reciting something, accompanied by a tortured warble of an almost familiar tune, and you can't see where it's coming from, but oh god it's getting closer...

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm about 20 hours into my first vanilla playthrough. Mods I'd want, off the top of my head:

1. Craftable ammo
2. Fusion core recharging (or crafting)
3. Craftable stimpacks
4. Drive-able vehicles (e.g. motorcycles, tanks)

How many of those exist or are in the works?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

pmchem posted:

I'm about 20 hours into my first vanilla playthrough. Mods I'd want, off the top of my head:

1. Craftable ammo
3. Craftable stimpacks

You can already make stimpacks at a Chemistry station. IIRC you need antiseptic, a blood pack, and steel.
You can make rad-aways too.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

pmchem posted:

1. Craftable ammo
3. Craftable stimpacks

One is in the OP, two may be available on the Nexus, three is in game, and four will likely require the GECK.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

pmchem posted:

You're in luck - I found some footage of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGiQOCX9UbM

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

What mods add the winter textures in this image set?
http://imgur.com/a/DsppF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Man Whore posted:

What mods add the winter textures in this image set?
http://imgur.com/a/DsppF
Could be Fallout 4 Seasons.

• Locked thread