Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Babe Magnet posted:

On one hand I don't want this thread to turn into an anti-CFish mud-slinging circlejerk

I'm sorry.. but...

Loxbourne posted:

Holy crap, what happened?

I've come back to this thread after a long, long time - I was driven out when we had that invasion of edgleord 4chan douchebags who thought the height of Internet Warfare was calling Tiy a Jew.

What the gently caress happened? I know updates trickled off and went weird places, but did some actual item of news break that justifies the thread's scathing attitude?

GrimLoxbourne'd Again

Rhopunzel posted:

I lived in Spain before I moved to the US in 2012 and I remember he was planning on buying a house with the idea of having team members live with him to help progress. I was all for staying in England before I moved to the States but then he said he was going to charge rent so it never happened.
Lol, Tiy is either an idiot, a sociopath, or a cultist.

Rrussom fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Slime posted:

Rho, back when you were a part of it what was the ratio of artists and ideas guys to people who actually coded and implemented new things to the game that weren't just art and sound assets? A game needs artists yes, but the impression I've gotten is that Tiy wants his game to be pretty before any stupid poo poo like "being fun to play".

Oh boy this will be hard to explain. There were technically 3 "main" artists, me, George and Legris. If you're wondering who Legris is, it's because he basically did nothing but got by because he made nice sounds about Tiy's ideas and peaced out pretty much immediately after the first huge Steam payment. There were three coders, Kyren, Omni and Bartwe. So "officially" there were 3 artists, 3 coders. Then there was Armagon, who was a level designer, Tiy, and the revolving door of what we called "contributors" which in practice was basically slave labor. People would offer to work for free on the game assuming it'd get their foot in the door for a paid job (this is even how I got my start there) and would produce content until they either realised they weren't going to get offered a paid position or moved on to something else. They were mostly really good people that I made a lot of friends with and I felt bad for them because they genuinely tried and at some points were efforting harder than I was. On top of that were the people Tiy just found excuses to add to the dev chat, usually random girls. They'd hang around and then usually leave because of circumstances I'm not permitted to talk about, but it was additional white noise and another opinion I had to deal with when pitching something.

So all in all I'd say it was like, at worst 3 coders, 8-9 artists/everything else/idea guys. It's a little unfair to describe artists as not implementing anything - the whole engine was designed so that we'd be able to implement things ourselves using JSON scripts. It sounded efficient, but in practice it meant we had to figure out how to add stuff on our own, because the coders would usually be too busy to hold our hands through it, with finicky JSON scripts that would flip out and crash the game if a comma was in the wrong place, so usually implementing something was 20% making the art and 80% figuring out how to be a coder.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Liquid Shkreli

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bilal posted:

Liquid Shkreli

He doesn't look half as punchable as that walking garbage fire

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Bilal posted:

Liquid Shkreli

Woah there, let's not say things we can't take back.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I'm really super bummed about everything Rhopunzel said and about the state of Starbound itself. I put a whole shitton of work into my race mod, and while I really enjoyed that, it's a shame it's for a game that I don't want to play, or really a game I could recommend to my friends. Shame! As for Rhopunzel themselves, I still remember when they offered me a bomb sprite they did and never ended up using, and I was able to add it to my bomb pack. Fun times!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rhopunzel posted:

Oh boy this will be hard to explain. There were technically 3 "main" artists, me, George and Legris. If you're wondering who Legris is, it's because he basically did nothing but got by because he made nice sounds about Tiy's ideas and peaced out pretty much immediately after the first huge Steam payment. There were three coders, Kyren, Omni and Bartwe. So "officially" there were 3 artists, 3 coders. Then there was Armagon, who was a level designer

So how many of these people are actually left at this point?

edit: Hah, wow, the listing on the Chucklefish site is way shorter than I remember. There's basically Kyren, George and Armagon left.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 26, 2016

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I laughed a lot harder than i should have at that picture. the "STARBOUND" watermark made it worth it.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

So how many of these people are actually left at this point?

edit: Hah, wow, the listing on the Chucklefish site is way shorter than I remember. There's basically Kyren, George and Armagon left.

Bart met them at GDC and mentioned it was pretty much an entirely new team, make of that what you will.

dog kisser posted:

I'm really super bummed about everything Rhopunzel said and about the state of Starbound itself. I put a whole shitton of work into my race mod, and while I really enjoyed that, it's a shame it's for a game that I don't want to play, or really a game I could recommend to my friends. Shame! As for Rhopunzel themselves, I still remember when they offered me a bomb sprite they did and never ended up using, and I was able to add it to my bomb pack. Fun times!

I remember this! I had no idea you were a goon, I think it was on Reddit I saw you posting about it and sent it to you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, dog kisser was one of the few people who actually made things worth a poo poo for the game

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So Rhop. Are you the goon making that other tereria in space game?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So Rhop. Are you the goon making that other tereria in space game?

nah, you're thinking of lucid dream and his game, signs of life. i know their sound engineer, too, he's kind of a busta

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
OK ty Mr. Dragon!

So what are you working on right now Rhop?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

The White Dragon posted:

nah, you're thinking of lucid dream and his game, signs of life. i know their sound engineer, too, he's kind of a busta

If you're thinking of Mariano, we stopped working with him before we even launched on Early Access. He was a cool guy but he didn't speak english as a first language which made collaboration hard. He did a pretty cool start menu song for us though. We've been doing stuff in-house supplemented with a few goon contractors since. I have no opinion on Starbound because I've only played it for like an hour, but I guess I'll give it a shot when it is out of Early Access.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lucid Dream posted:

I guess I'll give it a shot when it is out of Early Access.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

ScorpioMajesty posted:

OK ty Mr. Dragon!

So what are you working on right now Rhop?

Nothing. I'm the guy from Office Space. I'm doing nothing because I can and I like it. For now at least. I thought about making another game and had some ideas, even helped out on Bartwe's project Staxel and did some extra work for Rimworld, but Starbound's pretty much killed the spark I had for games and my heart isn't really in it anymore. I guess 3 years of being told every idea you had was bad and poo poo will do that.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Rhopunzel posted:

Nothing. I'm the guy from Office Space. I'm doing nothing because I can and I like it. For now at least. I thought about making another game and had some ideas, even helped out on Bartwe's project Staxel and did some extra work for Rimworld, but Starbound's pretty much killed the spark I had for games and my heart isn't really in it anymore. I guess 3 years of being told every idea you had was bad and poo poo will do that.

if it helps, we all think you cool

and ultimately, this is what the thread is about

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

Wow... im really sorry to hear that. I know that feeling in general and any boss who does that deserves a swift kick to the dick.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

grimcreaper posted:

Wow... im really sorry to hear that. I know that feeling in general and any boss who does that deserves a swift kick to the dick.

I feel like you're trying to imply something. but i dont think its true.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhopunzel posted:

Bart met them at GDC and mentioned it was pretty much an entirely new team, make of that what you will.

I remember this! I had no idea you were a goon, I think it was on Reddit I saw you posting about it and sent it to you.

there were a few goons that made good mods, but off the top of my head dog kisser and desideratus both made excellent mods

dog kisser, I hate telling you this but Tiy did not like the Peglaci, but on the positive side that means your art was actually very good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gonna be real here if tiy didn't like the peglaci it's probably because they were more fleshed out by that point than anything else in the game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
braww, sledra, and I tried showing them a bunch of mods and they never liked any of them, ESPECIALLY the ones that added features to the game

there was some amazing crops mods a while back and it was like I recommended he open his mouth for a big liquidy dump

same reaction anyway

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Joestar posted:

gonna be real here if tiy didn't like the peglaci it's probably because they were more fleshed out by that point than anything else in the game

thats kind of what I assumed

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat I thought they were just making a lovely game, I didn't know the rot ran this deep

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Eonwe posted:

there were a few goons that made good mods, but off the top of my head dog kisser and desideratus both made excellent mods

dog kisser, I hate telling you this but Tiy did not like the Peglaci, but on the positive side that means your art was actually very good

I'm going to cry my stupid face off in response to this.

I don't think I've completely given up on Starbound - but I think what I REALLY want is another game to mod that actually has, like, a game attached to it.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Eonwe posted:

braww, sledra, and I tried showing them a bunch of mods and they never liked any of them, ESPECIALLY the ones that added features to the game

there was some amazing crops mods a while back and it was like I recommended he open his mouth for a big liquidy dump

same reaction anyway

holy poo poo

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Didn't Tiy trace a lot of stuff from FFIV to use as placeholders in Terraria?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It was FFV

Not sure that was Tiy, though

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 27, 2016

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Jackard posted:

It was FFV

Not sure that was Tiy, though

He said Redigit started the art before he brought Tiy on and that's how it was and he was told to continue the style.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dog kisser posted:

I'm going to cry my stupid face off in response to this.

I don't think I've completely given up on Starbound - but I think what I REALLY want is another game to mod that actually has, like, a game attached to it.

i would unironically suggest either minecraft or dwarf fortress but the catch is that minecraft is a pain to code for from what i understand and dwarf fortress probably doesn't appeal to everyone despite being actually...sort of easy to mod?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Terraria had other weird bits too

One of the modders here found a bug in its 14-frame run cycle, where it didnt animate properly

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm finding it hard to believe that anything in Terraria had 14 frames, especially the run cycle

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that being said I don't speak for Braww or Sledra who may well have good impressions of them

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm finding it hard to believe that anything in Terraria had 14 frames, especially the run cycle

I worked a tiny bit on Terraria as a favor for Tiy and it checks out. It wasn't really animation in that it was pretty much the limb moved a single pixel every frame.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

drat I thought they were just making a lovely game, I didn't know the rot ran this deep

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

I worked a tiny bit on Terraria as a favor for Tiy and it checks out. It wasn't really animation in that it was pretty much the limb moved a single pixel every frame.

fuckin lol

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
For how janky and poo poo the art assets are for Terraria, and despite all the flaws in the gameplay, it's still a WAY better game than Starbound because they actually tried to make a game as opposed to Supreme Leader Tiy's ~great vision~.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the main difference is that there's more than 6 different enemies(and weapons)

terraria's mostly kinda ugly but it's a game without a lot of arbitrary restrictions and has a lot of stuff to kill/items to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria has aspects that suck but it's actually a complete game and had way more free updates than anyone ever anticipated that added a fuckton to the game.

• Locked thread