Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Something I thought was kind of a misstep at the end was Lois throwing the spear into the water seemed like a perfect opportunity for an Aquaman cameo.

Me and my brother startling laughing in the theater when supes almost drowns himself picking up the kryptonite spear. maybe he should have asked wonder woman to do the whole spear thing. He'd still be alive(?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, what was up with Flash's costumes during that dream? It was so drat strange. Also, his scruffy look was strange on the CCTV stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Revol posted:

Where is Man of Steel in all of this?

poo poo, I left it off the list because I meant to specifically mention it above when I was talking about Batman v Superman. The Man of Steel got an A- Cinemascore.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

When people ask about Flash's costume, is it similar to his design in Injustice

Also could you be mistaking him for Cyborg using a boomtube or something

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Wait a second. Batman has a dream about The Flash? Why is Batman dreaming about The Flash? How does Batman know about The Flash?

Do they explain that at all in the movie?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It makes no sense and comes out of nowhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Wait a second. Batman has a dream about The Flash? Why is Batman dreaming about The Flash? How does Batman know about The Flash?

The Flash has broken into Batman's dream somehow.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jamesman posted:

He wakes up from a dream and then a Boom Tube or something opens and the Flash is there in some weird armour trying to warn him about Superman. Then Batman wakes up again, it's probably trying to set something up for a later film.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So... too soon to say for sure, but BvS might be underperforming at the box office after all. Lower Friday gross (minus Thursday night previews) than Furious 7, steep second-day dropoff in China.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

He wakes up from a dream and then a Boom Tube or something opens and the Flash is there in some weird armour trying to warn him about Superman. Then Batman wakes up again, it's probably trying to set something up for a later film.

This just raises more questions.

What is a boom tube? Are you telling me Flash shows up in a dream within a dream like some Inception deal? How does Flash enter dreams? Also Flash is anti-Superman? So like, are we gonna get Flash v Superman: Noon of Justice or something?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Am I too early? I'm too early. I think I'm too early! Well poo poo, I'm too early.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Me and my brother startling laughing in the theater when supes almost drowns himself picking up the kryptonite spear. maybe he should have asked wonder woman to do the whole spear thing. He'd still be alive(?).

Speaking of that last bit, I'm assuming the R rated cut will be more explicit in what was happening there in the final fight. As is that scene is awkwardly framed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jamesman posted:

This just raises more questions.

What is a boom tube? Are you telling me Flash shows up in a dream within a dream like some Inception deal? How does Flash enter dreams? Also Flash is anti-Superman? So like, are we gonna get Flash v Superman: Noon of Justice or something?

I haven't seen it but I'm just assuming it's a situation of Flash warning Batman about Superman...'s death, like "beware... superman... trouble... [cut off] protect him..." and future Flash will just get so annoyed when he finds out the message made Batman try to kill Supes

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Why did that scene fail so badly? It just didn't work so hard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If I didn't already know who it was I'm not sure I'd have been able to tell.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Flash's facial hair is disgusting

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh yeah, that too. I expected Ezra Miller to clean up a little for the role instead of looking like a homeless man like he always does.

That's Jared Leto's thing anyway, you can't do that when you're in the same universe now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

If I didn't already know who it was I'm not sure I'd have been able to tell.

Yeah, I can't imagine how that scene must come off to a casual viewer.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So I've heard enough about BvS to tell me it's bad, and I shouldn't give a poo poo about going to see it.

Therefore, I don't mind being spoiled, so can someone tell me how they gently caress up and just how badly?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So I've heard enough about BvS to tell me it's bad, and I shouldn't give a poo poo about going to see it.

Therefore, I don't mind being spoiled, so can someone tell me how they gently caress up and just how badly?

The last 200 posts in this thread have been nothing but this so maybe you should just actually read them. Also its not bad, just meh. There was a good movie in here, you can see the individual pieces, but it didn't come together.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

X-O posted:

poo poo, I left it off the list because I meant to specifically mention it above when I was talking about Batman v Superman. The Man of Steel got an A- Cinemascore.

BvS is better than Man of Steel.

omg chael crash posted:

So, what was up with Flash's costumes during that dream? It was so drat strange. Also, his scruffy look was strange on the CCTV stuff.

It looked homemade.

But are we sure it is the Flash? The actor in that sequence looked nothing like the actor in the gas station CCTV. Sure, somebody going back in time to give Batman a warning, you'd think that's the Flash

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah you aren't seeing those massive week one takedown articles because it's honestly not bad enough to deserve them unlike Fantastic Four. THAT was a film that people really wanted to be bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

The last 200 posts in this thread have been nothing but this so maybe you should just actually read them. Also its not bad, just meh. There was a good movie in here, you can see the individual pieces, but it didn't come together.

I'm doing so now, X-O's post on it is pretty informative.

Cool that Ben Affleck's Batman is good though.

E: Maybe whatever Justice League movie they're setting up for might actually be better with Superman dead?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 26, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Justice League stuff. Wonder Woman was great, but she was obviously a distraction from the main thrust of the movie being Batman v Superman. Movie looked beautiful though, especially in 3D. I'm going to see it again tonight, so I can see what I think about it when I'm not stoned out of my mind on medical pot.

The Flash It reminded me of the warning he gave Batman in Crisis on Infinite Earths. And if it makes you feel any better, I see Bruce's dream as a side effect of the Flash's time travel. Bruce is getting a glimpse of the future due to Flash bridging the gap in time. I thought it was pretty cool.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I watched Fantastic Four last weekend just out of curiosity because I wanted to see if it really was as bad as people said. It was way worse. It makes BvS look like Citizen Kane. I remember thinking to myself that the early portion of Fantastic Four was dragging, nothing had happened. Then I looked down and saw that we weren't in the early portion, the movie was actually 75% over.

Fantastic Four is honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen that was actually trying.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I left the theater more disappointed than anything, which surprised me because I went in with no expectations whatsoever. The movie isn't a trainwreck, but I'd be hard-pressed to name a single aspect that I really thought worked well outside of a few performances. The story's a convoluted mess, character motivations are bizarre, Superman himself is something of an aloof nobody, it strands good actors in thankless roles, the editing and pacing are dire, there's some awful, awful effects work in the final act, and the attempts to setup future films manage to outdo Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron in how out-of-place and superfluous they are.

All this and I'm not even sure I think it's worse than Man of Steel. There are some terrible aspects to it (Eisenberg's performance, for one), but I'd honestly argue that a lot of it is more boring than bad.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

About Flash. I love the Flash, I love him to pieces. He is one of my favorites after Batman. So I was disappointed at his cameo, and I believe only nerds like me and my friend were the only ones who knew that was The Flash when he first showed up in the stupid dream, the rest of the people in the theater didn't even blink. Thankfully there's always CW's The Flash.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

mikeraskol posted:

Also its not bad, just meh. There was a good movie in here, you can see the individual pieces, but it didn't come together.

Revol posted:

BvS is better than Man of Steel.

These are both true and fair assessments.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

About Flash. I love the Flash, I love him to pieces. He is one of my favorites after Batman. So I was disappointed at his cameo, and I believe only nerds like me and my friend were the only ones who knew that was The Flash when he first showed up in the stupid dream, the rest of the people in the theater didn't even blink. Thankfully there's always CW's The Flash.

Yeah, if nothing else, DC's TV shows are generally really spot on

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was not planning on going to see BvS, I had no interest in the film whatsover, but my dad asked me if I wanted to go and I didn't wanna be that cynical internet rear end in a top hat, so I gave it a shot

I thought Man of Steel was okay, fine, the only thing I really liked about it was Michael Shannon, and I don't think that movie managed to say anything particularly interesting and I don't think it was visually outstanding, it occupies the same space in my mind as the first Thor film, I liked it well enough, but I don't really want to go out of my way to see or think about it ever again.

Let me also preface this by saying that I do not give a flying gently caress about either Batman or Superman as characters, so any instances of #notmybatman have no effect on me, in fact anything they can do to switch up those tired archetypes is a plus in my book.

Which might be why I really liked the first half of the film. Batman acts like the Punisher, but it makes total sense within the context of the story. He's beaten down, he's been doing this poo poo for 20 years, he's lost Robin, he hasn't really accomplished anything by his own admission, Gotham is a non-stop shithole so he's just stopped caring about being careful. The movie sets this up in a logical way, I have no problems with it.

The same goes for his antagonism towards Superman, the whole 9/11 imagery is maybe a bit exploitative, but it works for the most part; Batman is paranoid and fearful and frustrated, of course he would be skeptical of this holier than thou guy who goes around and inflicts his will on people without recourse. I don't even think the movie needs the (IMO rather dumb and pointless) Knightmare sequence to drive this idea home. Even the sequences of Superman doing heroic poo poo look imposing and frightening, the way they're shot, I really liked this aspect. The point of the movie being that Batman gets over himself and learns to be a hero again because of Superman is a fine concept.

Then the first Superman confrontation happens, and Superman handles it in the absolute dumbest way possible, practically confirming all of Batman's suspicions. Superman, by the way, acts like an idiotic, petulant child for a lot of this movie. I don't know if this is some sort of statement on the nature of the character, but he really doesn't not understand or even seemingly care about the consequences of his actions. He expects everyone to love him unconditionally and acts like a smug brat when they don't. It doesn't make the character look good, but I'm on board so far, since a lot of the so-called best Superman stories come off as being this exact kind of unbearably smug to me.

But of course a lot of this is happening because Lex Luthor has been pushing Batman's buttons. I do not like Jesse Eisenberg in this film. I believe I get what they're going for, but it's very one-note and lacking in nuance. Why does Lex do any of the stuff he does? We don't know, all he does is spout platitudes about power and gods and poo poo, his intent is clear but his motivations are not, honestly it really seems like all he wants is just for these two guys to fight each other just because, like he's the personification of internet nerds who have been crying for this film for decades. Why does Lex Luthor do any of the stuff he does? Because he's Lex Luthor, moving on.

Most of the things I don't like about this film are directly tied to him, including the absolute worst part which is Doomsday. Doomsday loving sucks, oh my god he is abysmal. Everything about the movie falls apart from the moment he is introduced. It looks like poo poo, it's paced like poo poo, none of it works. Bad CGI cave troll is standing on top of a building, lighting shoots out of its rear end, smash cut to Anderson Cooper. Punch punch in empty brown dbz wasteland, smash cut to army guys explaining what's going on constantly. More fight fight now with Wonder Woman, smash cut to Lois' aquatic adventures????

It's so schizophrenic, and my first inclination would be to just cut all of that poo poo out of the film and instead focus on the actual conflict of Batman vs. Superman, giving it a proper resolution instead of loving MARTHA. Goddamn, everyone has already said their piece about that plot point, but goddamn is it stupid.

Also seemingly unlike most people, I do not have much love for Wonder Woman in this film. I thought the build up to the photo was nicely done, but her entire role still felt super out of place. The action with her was fine, but it was just a bunch of CG flipping and slicing, I'm not really seeing why it's at all extraordinary, and the few lines she had did not convince me she could carry her own movie. But that's maybe beside the point, she was fine, I just don't think she was anything to get excited about. That SICK GUITAR RIFF that sounds when she reveals herself made me laugh so hard, that was some corny-rear end poo poo.

All the Justice League setup stuff was also really bad. Like Wonder Woman sitting on a laptop watching loving quicktime files, this is how you want to proceed with a greater cinematic universe? I'm not a fan, but I believe you can do better than that.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. BvS is a really good example of a film that is half-good, and you can almost pinpoint the exact moment where everything goes to poo poo. I do think I like it more than Man of Steel just because it was more ambitious and because it felt like it had something interesting to say, at least initially. If the R-rated cut comes out and actually adds a lot to the film as is rumored, I might be willing to give it another shot.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

They should have done it like Iron Man 2 where Lex Luthor is just carelessly throwing around a Power Battery or a apocalypse artifact around in a random scene.

It sounds like that bad scene in X-men 2 where Mystique is on the computer looking through files and pretty much the entire X-men universe is listed alphabetically with no concern that this might not pan out in sequels.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sinners Sandwich posted:

They should have done it like Iron Man 2 where Lex Luthor is just carelessly throwing around a Power Battery or a apocalypse artifact around in a random scene.

It sounds like that bad scene in X-men 2 where Mystique is on the computer looking through files and pretty much the entire X-men universe is listed alphabetically with no concern that this might not pan out in sequels.

That's just an obviously silly easter egg though, I don't think anyone expected Cannonball and Omega Red to be appearing from that. The line can be really thin though.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

So... too soon to say for sure, but BvS might be underperforming at the box office after all. Lower Friday gross (minus Thursday night previews) than Furious 7, steep second-day dropoff in China.

I know huge films like this have a higher standard of "underperforming" than most, but Furious 7 was one of the most successful films ever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mycot posted:

That's just an obviously silly easter egg though, I don't think anyone expected Cannonball and Omega Red to be appearing from that. The line can be really thin though.

Remember how in X-Men 2, there was a background scene with human Hank McCoy was being interviewed on television about the "mutant menace", then in X3 he's blue and furry, a former student of Xavier's and also Secretary of Mutant Affairs or somesuch in the cabinet?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember how in X-Men 2, there was a background scene with human Hank McCoy was being interviewed on television about the "mutant menace", then in X3 he's blue and furry, a former student of Xavier's and also Secretary of Mutant Affairs or somesuch in the cabinet?

X... 3? I think you mean first class? There were two pretty good X-men movies and then they rebooted the franchise for some reason.

There is no X-3 friend. There never was.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Don't You Know Who I AM!? I"M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

mikeraskol posted:

There was a good movie in here, you can see the individual pieces, but it didn't come together.

This might be the best assessment. Now, people will react to this kind of movie differently, Me, I can usually enjoy the individual pieces enough to where I get the enjoyment I want. I got to see some good Batman action, a fun Superman vs Batman fight, and I finally get to see a kickass Wonder Woman on the big screen.

qntm posted:

I know huge films like this have a higher standard of "underperforming" than most, but Furious 7 was one of the most successful films ever.

Yeah, you can't compare it to Furious 7. I know it is super loving strange to have a loving sixth sequel to a franchise that probably should've been put to rest a decade ago, but... they pulled it off, I guess. Maybe a deal with the devil was involved.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Don't You Know Who I AM!? I"M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!

Vinnie Jones' Juggernaut is the whole reason why I accept that X-Men 3 happened and existed. He perfectly captured "big dude who loves breaking stuff" Juggernaut.

Also the only film appearance of Phat that we will ever get.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Revol posted:

Yeah, you can't compare it to Furious 7. I know it is super loving strange to have a loving sixth sequel to a franchise that probably should've been put to rest a decade ago, but... they pulled it off, I guess. Maybe a deal with the devil was involved.

Those stupid movies somehow get better with each installment. Once they realized how ridiculous the whole thing was, they fully embraced it and the whole series is better for it.

Furious 7 was a good place to end the franchise. Shame they're already working on the next movie. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know, I felt 7 was a step down from 6.

Not enough Rock, and they didn't escalate from the cargo plane finale (though how could you?)

• Locked thread