Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I think what's most frustrating is that it seems like 'Flash' keeps writing off its best characters, but Arrow can't shake a character that's survived well beyond her welcome. I absolutely loved Felicity in Seasons 1 and 2 when she was the comic relief, but even I'm getting tired of her poo poo now. I'm usually pretty drat tolerant to TV bullshit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I kinda gave up on Arrow a while back but I got up to S207-08 of Flash and now there's a crossover, so I was hoping somebody could tell me which episodes of Arrow pertain to this whole Vandal/Hawk-people thing? I've apparently got a lot of catching up to do.

And yeah, seeing Oliver back with Felicity and now Speedy is there in place of angry dude in red was a bit out of left field as well, I guess i missed a couple dozen episodes of Arrow along the way... Should I go back through all of them? Or just stick to the crossover ones so I don't miss anything?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

coyo7e posted:

I kinda gave up on Arrow a while back but I got up to S207-08 of Flash and now there's a crossover, so I was hoping somebody could tell me which episodes of Arrow pertain to this whole Vandal/Hawk-people thing? I've apparently got a lot of catching up to do.

And yeah, seeing Oliver back with Felicity and now Speedy is there in place of angry dude in red was a bit out of left field as well, I guess i missed a couple dozen episodes of Arrow along the way... Should I go back through all of them? Or just stick to the crossover ones so I don't miss anything?

The Vandal/Hawk-People thing gets introduced in the crossover, you don't need to watch any other Arrow episodes to clear that stuff up

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Brother Entropy posted:

The Vandal/Hawk-People thing gets introduced in the crossover, you don't need to watch any other Arrow episodes to clear that stuff up
Even better, thanks so much!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ded posted:

Dear Arrow writers,

I have a great idea on how to fix your problems with Felicity. Have a Supergirl crossover and have Oliver take her out on a date.

Oliver would come back and be like "I met someone with superpowers while I was away... but you're the real super girl." Because the writers are obsessed with people saying how amazing Felicity is with other lines like "She's the strongest of us all" which is laughable.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What would be the worst thing the writers could possibly do at this point with the character? Since that is probably what will happen.

Answer: Pregnant

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FELD1 posted:

I absolutely loved Felicity in Seasons 1 and 2 when she was the comic relief, but even I'm getting tired of her poo poo now.
Yeah. Early Felicity was really fun, but is now pretty much the poster child for the huge elephant in the room with the CW supers shows. Namely, whenever the writers can't think of anything better they shove in contrived, obnoxious, unrealistic relationship drama. It would be alright if the characters acted realistically or if the tension was actually justified but instead it's just soap opera level inanity. And they don't seem to realize that the end result of it is stripping all the fun out of the characters and the story arcs.

It isn't even just romance too, Flash S2 is in the absolute pits due to the writers being able to write sane interpersonal relationships. I can only imagine how much better the shows would be if they actually had fun with the premises instead of wallowing in arbitrary angst.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

greatn posted:

What would be the worst thing the writers could possibly do at this point with the character? Since that is probably what will happen.

Answer: Pregnant

and then she won't tell Oliver

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

No Butt Stuff posted:

Lol I didn't even think of that, that's a guarantee.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

No Butt Stuff posted:

About the abortion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OB_Juan posted:

About the abortion.

If abortions were kosher on TV they would've done it with Oliver's son.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OB_Juan posted:

About the abortion.

Oliver already knows about Season 4.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pillowpants posted:

The last two episodes with Felicity is my "jump the shark" moment, I think. I'm completely disinterested in the show, which is sad because S1 and 2 were amazing.

I'm waiting to see if they actually kill off Laurel, someone the writers struggled through four seasons and actually turned into a worthwhile and good character.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 25, 2016

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Mortanis posted:

Also, BET line of the night was Diggle's

A very interesting typo. :stare:

Also, it is what it is, but I think Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl would all benefit from having half the episodes every season. I know this idea is sort of null because of now TV works, and somewhat refuted by Legends...but still.

As someone else said, it seems like the writers just run out of stuff and also run out of good ideas for serialization. And, of course also: CW and its supposed demographic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Longbaugh01 posted:

A very interesting typo. :stare:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Ideally, every TV season would be between ten and sixteen episodes.

What I find most perplexing about this season is the Oliver for Mayor plot. The most notable things about the Green Arrow (other than being a Batman ripoff, shooting Deathstroke in the eye that one time, or the boxing glove arrow) is the character's progressive political slant and the fact that he has a plot where he runs for mayor. However, in the show this plot was underdeveloped and abandoned. It seems like the Felicity romance has moved to the forefront of the show and where Oliver's character growth and drama is supposed to come from? Which is absurd? The writers didn't write themselves into a corner and go back to the safety of angsty relationship drama they quite deliberately chose this path.

The fact that his run for mayor was totally apolitical also highlights the strangeness of Anarchy's introduction. Such a character would fit quite naturally with a plot where the main character engages with political matters and runs for office, and yet I don't know what the gently caress they're doing with him and he doesn't resemble any other interpretation of the character that I've seen.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Arrow has reached peak Smallville.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Speaking of the mayor thing, he's still not running anymore, right? Obviously he suspended his campaign and threw his support behind Evil Candidate when his son was kidnapped, but once they put Darkh in jail, took away his powers, and got William back, did Oliver undo any of that? At the very least make a statement to the press revoking his endorsement of Adams, who as far as I know right now is unopposed and has his endorsement.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Codependent Poster posted:

Oliver would come back and be like "I met someone with superpowers while I was away... but you're the real super girl." Because the writers are obsessed with people saying how amazing Felicity is with other lines like "She's the strongest of us all" which is laughable.

This is why I've never really loved Felicity as a character. At some point even early on she started getting a Roman Reigns push. Every character started telling me how amazing she is and how essential she is to everything.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

This is why I've never really loved Felicity as a character. At some point even early on she started getting a Roman Reigns push. Every character started telling me how amazing she is and how essential she is to everything.

Haha. Wow, that's the perfect example. Felicity is Roman Reigns.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought people liked Roman reigns now since he jobbed to hhh.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

greatn posted:

I thought people liked Roman reigns now since he jobbed to hhh.

No that made people like Triple H.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
That was one of the most cringey episodes of Arrow ever I think?

The writers really have it in for Felicity lately or are just poo poo or both, the dumper being snarky to the dumpee is like make people hate this character for dummies.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

OB_Juan posted:

About the abortion.

YOU HAVE FAILED THIS UTERUS!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Martout posted:

The writers really have it in for Felicity lately or are just poo poo or both, the dumper being snarky to the dumpee is like make people hate this character for dummies.
It is intentional now, at least on some level -- maybe the writers just accepted that they are poo poo in writing relationships and went gently caress it, we'll just destroyFelicity.

Because at least in this last episode, the direction and Oliver's reactions/ expressions/ lines were making a point of Oliver being uncomfortable and /or having an attitude of surrender/defeat every time Felicity was speaking. And then there were the fake wedding vows, where Felicity was basically "whatever, you'll do for my husband, let's get on with it" and Oliver recited what was probably his actual vows for their wedding.

No, they are actively making Felicity act like a horrible person.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Since Lance's testimony is the only thing that can put Dhark away I'm pretty sure it's him or Laurel in the grave.

Sadly

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I wish I could believe that all this Felicity stuff is part of a grander plan, but it really just reminds me of the s3 approach where like, they know they want characters to do certain things, but all the convoluted poo poo has gotten so convoluted that they don't really remember why characters are doing the things they do anymore. Next week Felicity might not wanna be with Oliver for entirely new reasons.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Now that Felicity has called off the wedding shouldnt she give back Curtis wedding present....

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

lomzus posted:

Now that Felicity has called off the wedding shouldnt she give back Curtis wedding present....

"Yeah...you know that thing implanted in your spine that allows you to walk again? ...yeah I'm going to need that back."

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The biggest travesty is that Ollicity became the official name when Folly is a much more apt title what is happening.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Next episode is going to be the worst episode of Arrow.

The only thing that could possibly save it for me is if they just play off how dumb the whole premise is and have fun with it. Get rid of the Felicity poo poo (I know, I know) and just go hogwild with bee puns and jokes. Make Oliver just absolutely indifferent to what's going on. "I defeated two Ra's al Ghuls, help stop an immortal tyrant dictator, and defeated a mirakuru super soldier and his super soldier army, and now I'm fighting a girl who can control bees? I'm done."

This will not happen and this episode will be incomparably unbearable.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If Felicity's mom plays a large enough role, it might be tolerable

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I remember a time when fans where asking Arrow to be a little more lighthearted because the show was too serious or dark or some crap like that. As soon as they started leaning on that direction (along with pleasing the tumblr audience with Felicity), it all went to crap. What a coincidence. And now it's too late, there's no turning back. Maybe next season will be less crap.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The big bad every single year has more or less wanted to destroy Star City, right?

Merlyn -- destroy the Glades to accomplish Things
Slade -- destroy Star City to punish Ollie
Ra's -- destroy Star City to make Ollie Ra's, and also to accomplish Things
Dahrk -- destroy Star City for Genesis Project, i.e. to accomplish Things

Maybe Ollie and the rest of Star City should take a loving hint, I know no one tries to destroy my city every few months because it's not a total shithole

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soothing Vapors posted:

The big bad every single year has more or less wanted to destroy Star City, right?

Merlyn -- destroy the Glades to accomplish Things
Slade -- destroy Star City to punish Ollie
Ra's -- destroy Star City to make Ollie Ra's, and also to accomplish Things
Dahrk -- destroy Star City for Genesis Project, i.e. to accomplish Things

Maybe Ollie and the rest of Star City should take a loving hint, I know no one tries to destroy my city every few months because it's not a total shithole

I mean, looking at absurdity the National Guard should've been called in the first time a mayor got murdered but they don't because otherwise there's no need for Green Arrow.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xelkelvos posted:

If Felicity's mom plays a large enough role, it might be tolerable

this show would be so much better if Felicity's mom replaced Felicity.

Including as a love interest for Oliver.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

computer parts posted:

I mean, looking at absurdity the National Guard should've been called in the first time a mayor got murdered but they don't because otherwise there's no need for Green Arrow.

i forgot about the revolving Saw-style deathtrap that is the mayor's chair

boom boom boom posted:

this show would be so much better if Felicity's mom replaced Felicity.

Including as a love interest for Oliver.

I'm on board

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Krad posted:

I remember a time when fans where asking Arrow to be a little more lighthearted because the show was too serious or dark or some crap like that. As soon as they started leaning on that direction (along with pleasing the tumblr audience with Felicity), it all went to crap. What a coincidence. And now it's too late, there's no turning back. Maybe next season will be less crap.

On the contrary, Felicity used to be the light-hearted part of the show with her constant quips and awkward moments and tongue-in-cheek platonic crush on Oliver, but the writers decided to turn things serious and made Olicity a thing and that's when her character went down the shitter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Na'at posted:

Since Lance's testimony is the only thing that can put Dhark away I'm pretty sure it's him or Laurel in the grave.

It's actually Olicity in the grave. Oliver tried to make amends and Felicity made him do a full funeral service for the wedding ring just to make a point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wish they'd remember that Felicity fell in love with the Arrow, not Oliver Queen. She didn't know poo poo about Oliver Queen back then.

It should be a major factor in their relationship. The guy she fell for was the one who lied about absolutely everything.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 29, 2016

• Locked thread