Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Baloogan posted:

it might be because of my filthy canadian blood, but cruz is actually kinda hot in a 'elvis' 'classical' kind of way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

THEY'RE TOOTH-LIKE GODDAMNED SERRATIONS

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Lastgirl posted:

TrusTed?

more like

BusTed

:laugh:

He LusTed but got BusTed after he ThrusTed and NutTed and his cum CrusTed and CoaTed all over his campaign and he got OusTed from the primary because he wasn't properly VetTed.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

THEY'RE TOOTH-LIKE GODDAMNED SERRATIONS

TRUMP

*QUACK*

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The Hill asks, "Where Are They Now?"

The answer is usually totally humiliated.

quote:

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal spends much of his time these days driving his children to sporting events. Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley plays guitar sing-alongs with college students. And Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker presented a proclamation at the World Dairy Expo to the 2015 “Cow of the Year.”

Leaving the national spotlight can be a pride-swallowing experience for politicians who have grown accustomed to being in constant demand as guests on nationally televised Sunday shows. Some never recover their relevancy, and it can take them months or even years to adjust to their diminished statuses.

Asked about his post-campaign plans, former Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal told The Federalist’s Ben Domenech, “We’ve got three young kids… A lot more soccer and baseball games.”

Instead of meeting with millionaires to talk about contributing to his run for the highest office in the land, Walker, who quit the race in September, is holding private meetings with donors to raise funds that can pay down his presidential campaign debt.

Other former 2016 candidates have retreated to their private lives or to more modest public appearances, still trying to remain relevant.

Former Republican candidate and Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore regularly tweets his appearances on little-known talk shows, such as a San Diego AM radio show.

And Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson, Chis Christie and Jeb Bush have all endorsed candidates and Walker likely will before the April 5 Wisconsin.

But even those actions can show how far the former candidates have fallen.

Asked about his views and opinions on ABC’s “The View” in October when he and Trump were battling for first place, Carson was grilled on ABC’s “The View” this week over his support for the billionaire front-runner, with Whoopi Goldberg exclaiming, “You’re Ben Carson! You’re so much better than this!”

Republican operatives and officials have described cringing as they watched Christie being publicly humiliated by Trump. The GOP front-runner, despite accepting Christie’s endorsement, has appeared to belittle Christie in public appearances and was caught on video brusquely dismissing the governor from the campaign stage. A mocking #FreeChrisChristie hashtag has been circulating on social media.

“Chris Christie looks like a Trump chump,” said Ted Cruz’s former national spokesman Rick Tyler, in a telephone interview with The Hill on Thursday. “It’s unbelievable how diminished he is.”

How failed candidates respond to their new status depends to a large extent on their age and expectations leading into the campaign, says David Catalfamo, a long-time senior adviser to former New York Gov. George Pataki.

Catalfamo, communications director on Pataki’s unsuccessful 2016 run for the Republican nomination, says Pataki knew his chances were small and at the outset, and that this was his last tilt at public office having been out of the governor’s mansion for a decade. Lower expectations made it easier to adjust to failure, he says.

Tyler, who resigned as national spokesman of Ted Cruz’s campaign after circulating an inaccurate report about Marco Rubio – an error for which he immediately apologized –thinks the problem with politicians is that they're trained to talk about the past.

They've spent, in some cases decades, traveling back and forth between D.C. and their home district, constantly reminding their donors and constituents of what they've done for them, he said.

But unless a politician can find a compelling way to talk about ideas and the future he has a shelf-life in the media of about 18 months after leaving office, Tyler says.

Tyler recalls some challenging early days when his former boss Newt Gingrich was no longer the House Speaker and decided to make some fundraising calls.

“He sat down and made one call and it didn’t go well,” Tyler said. “Then he got up and said I am not doing this anymore. Because he wasn’t Speaker anymore, and the donor on the other end understood you’re not Speaker anymore.”

But Tyler says Gingrich quickly became “master” at remaining relevant. He hasn’t fallen into the politician’s trap of hanging on to his past achievements, which limits a former politician’s appeal to cable TV bookers and public speaking agencies.

“He doesn’t sit there saying, ‘when we passed the Contract for America…’ Even though that’s a huge part of his legacy,” Tyler said of Gingrich. “He’s always been able to stay interesting…It’s sort of scary [that]… there are very few politicians or former politicians who are successful at this.”

Staying relevant is a challenge for former campaign operatives, too, after their boss drops out of a presidential race.

Matt Beynon, who handled communications on Rick Santorum’s 2012 and 2016 presidential campaigns, describes the staffer’s experience of dropping out of a national race as “going from 100 miles an hour to zero overnight.”

Timmy Teepell, who was Jindal’s campaign manager, says the life of a campaign operative means making peace with ridiculously intense on-off cycles. “Presidential campaigns are just crazy, non-stop, 24-hours… then when campaigns are over, it’s time to re-engage with my family.”

Jimmy Stracner, Ben Carson’s Nevada state director, has since been dealing with pneumonia and an unusually quiet cell phone.

“It’s going from having a lot to do to having nothing to do,” Stracner told The Hill in a telephone interview, discussing the experience of moving from being a top player for a high-profile national candidate to what he calls "civilian life."

For the moment he has focused on reacquainting himself with his family and friends, getting healthy again and running his political consulting business.

“You have to re-acclimatize yourself to friends, society, your family…When you’re working on a campaign you everything in your life aside," Stracner said.

“You go back to civilian life and no-one’s really interested in you anymore… Until the next time.”
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/274342-candidates-who-have-dropped-out-of-race-face-long-hard

:ohdear:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

baloogan gay for ted, so what

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mister Fister posted:

He LusTed but got BusTed after he ThrusTed and NutTed and his cum CrusTed and CoaTed all over his campaign and he got OusTed from the primary because he wasn't properly VetTed.

:stare: n-no... TOO MUCH :gonk:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lastgirl posted:

baloogan gay for ted, so what

just gimme a bullet neklase and id gently caress anyone

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zas posted:

trump getting 4% fewer women than romney - super possible - would be like, millions of people. he is so hosed.

Trump doesn't have binders full of women.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Baloogan posted:

it might be because of my filthy canadian blood, but cruz is actually kinda hot in a 'elvis' 'classical' kind of way

uhhhhhhh

Baloogan posted:

i also had a bottle of white wine with lunch

yeah its this

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Woah there nelly, presenting the cow of the year is a big loving deal

Do you have any loving idea how much loving money there is in loving dairy? Holy poo poo its loving billions, and who do you loving think has the most loving beautiful cow of the year? Being its Wisconsin, its the gently caress'n Sartoris I loving betcha.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
like taking kids to practice = loving worthless unless they on somewhere like Harvard's Crew, in which case hell yeah its fuckn networkn time with the other tigerdads

Unfortunately I think Jindal's kids play a panzyass sport, like Soccer or Lacrosse. Aint no fuckn way his kids be playn some FOOTBALL or hockey or hell even some gently caress'n curling or trap n skeet

But that best cow of the year? loving golden, great loving opportunity to be in the game on your game connecting away and pimping out how loving awesome your business network is

Playing guitar with college kids? loving useless unless you looking for an undergrad to lay on the reg

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

shiksa posted:

As much as my kokoro wish would be to skip ahead to trumps concession speech, half a year of him personally unskewing polls will be worth it

The dawning realization that he's going to go down a massive failure alongside goldwater (or worse) might actually make Trump drop out using some bullshit excuse before the election actually happens

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

My Imaginary GF posted:

like taking kids to practice = loving worthless unless they on somewhere like Harvard's Crew, in which case hell yeah its fuckn networkn time with the other tigerdads

Unfortunately I think Jindal's kids play a panzyass sport, like Soccer or Lacrosse. Aint no fuckn way his kids be playn some FOOTBALL or hockey or hell even some gently caress'n curling or trap n skeet

But that best cow of the year? loving golden, great loving opportunity to be in the game on your game connecting away and pimping out how loving awesome your business network is

Playing guitar with college kids? loving useless unless you looking for an undergrad to lay on the reg

I now understand the issue with MIGF, its all too tryhard and it comes off as abrasive as if you're supposed to force a laugh at the tired looney toons shticks.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

I now understand the issue with MIGF, its all too tryhard and it comes off as abrasive as if you're supposed to force a laugh at the tired looney toons shticks.

that's one of his better posts really

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

Eonwe posted:

is there a picture like this, but with the outcomes as they are currently polled for this election?

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/713036414745575424

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zas posted:

that's one of his better posts really

not saying much but fair enough~

I just want Ted Cruz to just shrivel up back to his brethren deep below the Mariana trench

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

like you have to have a taste for frustrated midwestern ambition but yeah

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lastgirl posted:

I don't understand. Whats abrasive about connecting friends with other friends in a manner which benefits your state's economic growth and unemployment metrics?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zas posted:

like you have to have a taste for frustrated midwestern ambition but yeah

hello

when i see cowshit, I see money

Lots of loving money which can be used to benefit communities, lower healthcare costs, eliminate student debt, and reduce the # of loving welchers on SSD

About $3.75 to $4.25 per cubic yard of money, actually.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Who else do you think might run in future years for either side (or independently) that could gather as much support as Trump has? I struggle to think of anyone that could succesfully create such a powerful cult of personality.

edit: to be clear I'm talking about outsider non-establishment / non-politician candidates.

bowser fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 26, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I don't want Cruz to lose

I want him to be savagely beaten, demoralized and if Trump is the nominee, a video camera documenting him going into his Texas polling station and voting Trump.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Eonwe posted:

yea, I kind of figured, I just hear "hillary beats trump badly in the general election" so I thought maybe I was wrong

is the margin of victory so overwhelming for hillary that they can make this claim without having most states properly polled?
If you're still curious, here's what RCP has so far. It's '08 plus that weird Utah poll that won't hold up. And GE polls don't matter yet and all that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 26, 2016

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

quote:

Q.You've got people in your own party drawing nightmare scenarios of Trump dragging the rest of the party down.

A: Yeah, and how well have all these smart people done for us over the last several presidential elections? How smart are they? All these smart people running around telling everyone what's going to work and what's not going to work — I really don't know where these experts are at. Because we didn't really win in '08, we didn't win in 2012, we barely got through '04 with a popular — still at the time — incumbent president. We know what happened in 2000, '96 wasn't very fun, '92 was no better. So the last time we won with relative ease was 1988. It's not like this suddenly happened. So we have to be really good. All I'm saying is all of the armchair quarterbacking going on is done by a lot of people who haven't really delivered. So I sort of just reject it.

Reince is going to kill himself on stage in Cleveland

http://m.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/rnc-chair-reince-priebus-nothing-bad-is-going-to-happen-b99694734z1-373626071.html

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the cracks appear

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

bowser posted:

Who else do you think might run in future years for either side (or independently) that could gather as much support as Trump has? I struggle to think of anyone that could succesfully create such a powerful cult of personality.

edit: to be clear I'm talking about outsider non-establishment / non-politician candidates.

ted nugent

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

http://www.cafe.com/reince-priebus-op-ed/ is looking more and more prescient.

quote:

GUEST COLUMN: This Is Fine, Everything Is Fine. I Have Everything Under Control
A word from Republican National Chairman Reince Priebus

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

My Imaginary GF posted:

when i see cowshit, I see money

is that why you post so much?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

bowser posted:

A while ago I thought that if the Republican establishment was going to do the Complete Ratfuck, instead of Romney or Ryan they should try to find a general.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

The dawning realization that he's going to go down a massive failure alongside goldwater (or worse) might actually make Trump drop out using some bullshit excuse before the election actually happens

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

if trump loses georgia i will laugh and laugh until i am dead.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
I want to see videos of Ted Cruz eating at the Capital Grille.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

Why, just the other day I was walking past the Capitol, wondering to what warm oasis the sparrows flee to escape the bone-white bleakness of endless winter, and a perfect stranger – a man I’d never seen before – came right up to me and said, “Reince, do you think there is comfort in the quiet solitude of death?” I was so taken aback that I asked him to repeat the question and hah, silly me! Turns out I’d simply misheard. Naughty ears!

im dyin

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
God dammit Wisconsin just loving vote already I'm getting the shakes

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Fat Lowtax posted:

A while ago I thought that if the Republican establishment was going to do the Complete Ratfuck, instead of Romney or Ryan they should try to find a general.

A military coup of the Republican party :chanpop:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Still lmao at a Republican nominee with 68% unfavorables with SUBURBANITES.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Just a quick reminder that Scott Walker is a massive sack of poo poo, in case anyone forgot (never forget).

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

bowser posted:

A military coup of the Republican party :chanpop:

Petraeus is probably really regretting being unable to keep his dick in his pants right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bowser posted:

Oprah. Seriously.

You're pretty much limited to really rich media stars. So maybe a guy like Rush could do it.

edit: neither will ever run though

• Locked thread