Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At first I was "what's wrong with mounting a power strip on the wall?"

Then I saw it. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The book is Fifty Shades of Grey.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I feel like that's the post this thread has been waiting for all its life.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The equivalent weight steel plate with the same footprint would be 4.5 inches thick.

Amazon quotes a single copy at 1.4 lbs, 8" x 6.8" and it's 47 layers deep I gooned hard on this calculation.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Platystemon posted:

This place is not a place of honor.

No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.

Nothing valued is here.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So what you're saying is it could possibly be adequate for securing a motorcycle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

So what you're saying is it could possibly be adequate for securing a motorcycle.

Jesus loving Christ you guys we don't have to bring up the loving motorcycle four times on every goddamn page.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Platystemon posted:

Structural smut

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jesus loving Christ you guys we don't have to bring up the loving motorcycle four times on every goddamn page.

What, like we're going to fill books with expanding foam somehow? :rolleyes:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

LonsomeSon posted:

What, like we're going to fill books with expanding foam somehow? :rolleyes:

*doors

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

canyoneer posted:

Nothing valued is here.

not worthy of motorcycle security.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Took me a second :stare:

I just bought a house, so hopefully I won't be posting original content in h- ah who am I kidding.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This was a fun surprise... I turned the water on to the outdoor spigot for the first time, and water began spraying everywhere in the attic.

Apparently, this burst on one of the previous owners, and their solution was just to turn off the supply to the spigot. Home inspector missed it (he didn't even mention the outdoor spigot didn't work).

Pulling out wet fiberglass insulation is even worse then dealing with dry fiberglass.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

devicenull posted:

This was a fun surprise... I turned the water on to the outdoor spigot for the first time, and water began spraying everywhere in the attic.

Apparently, this burst on one of the previous owners, and their solution was just to turn off the supply to the spigot. Home inspector missed it (he didn't even mention the outdoor spigot didn't work).

Pulling out wet fiberglass insulation is even worse then dealing with dry fiberglass.

Oh man. Burst pipes are my loving favorite. One place I lived in had the supply for the outside spigot running next to the uninsulated garage door in the unconditioned garage. With no shutoff for the pipe aside from the main shutoff for the house. It burst two days before Thanksgiving and sent a stream of water at full pressure jetting roughly twenty feet across the garage.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

They built a new chemistry building on my campus recently, and are in the process of renovating the old one (which is connected in many ways). One of these ways were in the water lines... so a few months ago the contractors apparently hosed something up and wound up bursting a line in the new building, flooding the basement labs with a few feet of water.

Feel really bad for all the grad students who lost their experiments (or at least lost all the labels on their experiments/chemicals/whatever).

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

Oh man. Burst pipes are my loving favorite. One place I lived in had the supply for the outside spigot running next to the uninsulated garage door in the unconditioned garage. With no shutoff for the pipe aside from the main shutoff for the house. It burst two days before Thanksgiving and sent a stream of water at full pressure jetting roughly twenty feet across the garage.

At least it was in the garage, though. Should have been (relatively) easy to shut off the water and temporarily "fixing" it by cutting and capping the pipe, right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Despair posted:

They built a new chemistry building on my campus recently, and are in the process of renovating the old one (which is connected in many ways). One of these ways were in the water lines... so a few months ago the contractors apparently hosed something up and wound up bursting a line in the new building, flooding the basement labs with a few feet of water.

Feel really bad for all the grad students who lost their experiments (or at least lost all the labels on their experiments/chemicals/whatever).
poo poo. Wouldn't they have to call in some special cleanup for that? I mean, who knows what might have been added to the water that is now making a nice pool throughout the labs. Granted, it would be super dilute and probably pretty benign, but some poo poo you just don't wanna mess with, and I imagine that disposal of that water would potentially need to be tightly controlled. Sounds spendy beyond the obvious water damage.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bad Munki posted:

poo poo. Wouldn't they have to call in some special cleanup for that? I mean, who knows what might have been added to the water that is now making a nice pool throughout the labs. Granted, it would be super dilute and probably pretty benign, but some poo poo you just don't wanna mess with, and I imagine that disposal of that water would potentially need to be tightly controlled. Sounds spendy beyond the obvious water damage.

As far as I know none of the chemicals were spilled in the process, so the worse they probably had to deal with is mold or something in the aftermath. Figuring out how to dispose of the chemicals that were suddenly unlabled was probably a pain though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
surprisingly not in concrete or motorcycle related news,

this poo poo is soothing as gently caress to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCuvdv8FO54

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Slanderer posted:

At least it was in the garage, though. Should have been (relatively) easy to shut off the water and temporarily "fixing" it by cutting and capping the pipe, right?

Sorta. The garage was adjacent to the daylight basement so that had to be dried out, too. The fix was actually just leaving the water shut off until an actual shutoff valve and new pipe section could be put in since my then girlfriend (now wife) was going back home for Thanksgiving and I just stayed with my parents for an extra couple days.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Forgive me thread for I have sinned. While I understand the concept I do not know the reference for the motorcycle/concrete joke.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I need to secure my motorcycle. I'll cast a 400lb block of concrete with an eyebolt stuck in it to use it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Geirskogul posted:

I need to secure my motorcycle. I'll cast a 400lb block of concrete with an eyebolt stuck in it to use it.

...and if they can steal it at that point, they can have it.

And then a hundred page discussion on how big such a block would be and whether the described block would actually weigh 400 pounds plus or minus the standard deviation. And then maybe something about whether or not an air frame parachute on such a block would be appropriate, it gets a little fuzzy around there.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

H110Hawk posted:

Forgive me thread for I have sinned. While I understand the concept I do not know the reference for the motorcycle/concrete joke.

The horror begins...:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=119#post442930815

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Excellent.

Also the tesla-salvage-battery-off-grid-PV guy is amazing but in a good way so far, 17 pages in to the thread and he seems extremely concerned with making sure it's all by the book with permits. Crazy to have that many kWh of Lithium in his basement, but still cool.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Hmm... Something doesn't look quite right

I wonder where it goes?

Electrical tape confirms it's lawnmower bait

I guess it's maybe legit?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

SneakyFrog posted:

I'm just parading my ignorance now but what's the horizontally-sliding vertical post thing with all the holes in it for?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SneakyFrog posted:

My girlfriend caught me watching this video: "Oh you're going to build a workbench?" :stare:
I'm flattered that she thinks my pine monstrosities that are cobbled together with screwed together butt joints are considered anything close to woodworking.

I wonder why he had to use glue on the feet of the bench. Everything else seemed perfectly fastened with only wood.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GotLag posted:

I'm just parading my ignorance now but what's the horizontally-sliding vertical post thing with all the holes in it for?

i have no idea but its amazing. some kind of jig holder?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

GotLag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB0-F6yq8zM

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

SneakyFrog posted:

This depresses me because maybe I could build something close to that but the material would still be several hundred dollars.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
With "samurai" in the title, I was hoping he'd be using traditional Japanese joinery, and was not disappointed.

The awesome professor that ran the art school wood shop in grad school had a book on that poo poo and good lord, some of those joints were just mind blowing:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I was wondering (like on that dead man) how you would figure on the surface area and materials so it doesn't just snap off or break when you're assembling it. The first thing that comes into my head is, well, just try something until it seems to work.

But that's why I'm in this thread.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sylink posted:

This depresses me because maybe I could build something close to that but the material would still be several hundred dollars.

Unless you're building furniture for a living, most of those features are going to be wasted. Make a cheap pine bench out of 2x4s and secure it with screws. It''ll do the job. I worked in a shop long ago and we all made a huge loving deal out of our work benches. It was a constant and pointless game of one upping each other, while in the end, we needed very little to get work done.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I just have to wonder how long all that wood has been aging that he knows it's not going to just warp into uselessness in a month. I deal with that a lot because fresh wood is cheapest.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like he's drying wood in all corners of his shop.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Boat posted:

With "samurai" in the title, I was hoping he'd be using traditional Japanese joinery, and was not disappointed.

The awesome professor that ran the art school wood shop in grad school had a book on that poo poo and good lord, some of those joints were just mind blowing:

thats amazing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's what happens when nails are more rare and expensive than carpenters.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

canyoneer posted:

Nothing valued is here.

This is a great post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Here's a good documentary on Japanese woodworking and joinery. It's super cool and still appreciated and used today! Ignore the silly title of the show, it's a real Japanese NHK production simulcast in English and Japanese. https://youtu.be/Y8vJ11cXLs4