Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

wicka have you considered getting treatment for whatever is that you have

no i'm pretty fine with apparently being the person itt who isn't crying over nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

El Hefe posted:

wicka have you considered getting treatment for whatever is that you have

lol being a fanboy does not make you mad, if it were half my day would be spent breaking up fights between xbox and playstation owners.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

what am i being a fanboy of? F1 is insanely profitable and every indication is that its future is secure. if you have reason to believe otherwise, by all means go ahead! i'm all ears. you have given me literally nothing so far.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've not seriously predicted the death of the sport, only pointed out the bleeding obvious that Bernie will keep leeching off the sport till he dies. Biggest threat to formula 1 is the growing popularity of the WEC is my unsubstantiated theory.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I've not seriously predicted the death of the sport, only pointed out the bleeding obvious that Bernie will keep leeching off the sport till he dies. Biggest threat to formula 1 is the growing popularity of the WEC is my unsubstantiated theory.

six hour races

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

:gas:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

promoter fees are too expensive, yet people keep building new race tracks
the audience is falling, yet people keep paying more and more for TV rights
budgets are too high, yet new teams are joining, with new sponsors and new partners

explain to me again why F1 is in trouble? because it's on a network that's inconvenient?

This sounds like a classic bubble and is definitely not indicative of long term health. No sport is invincible, look at how baseball has declined in the States. F1 isn't on its deathbed by any means but it's trending downward.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bernie is a out of touch goblin lord, but he's not a retard. He's surrounded by intelligent people, and has been a very profitable business man for a long loving time.

OF COURSE HE'S NOT GOING TO BURN THE SPORT TO THE GROUD.

Stop being stupid.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's OK there is a race next week, we can all start working on getting our autosport grand prix predictions completely wrong again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

This sounds like a classic bubble and is definitely not indicative of long term health.

it only sounds like a classic bubble because you want it to. that's what all of you are doing. you simply want to complain and feel sad about the sky deal so you've decided F1 is in decline and you will do whatever it takes to pretend that's the truth. it's not.

you cannot repeat "f1 is in decline" or "f1 is in a bubble" over and over again and make it happen. that's not how real life works.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Whether you think F1 is in trouble depends on whether you think the brand is being slowly eroded by the loss or castration of the historical tracks, lack of title competition, "waah the cars aren't loud enough" or whatever other reason. Wicka apparently doesn't and you'll never convince him otherwise, so just leave him alone until he finds something else to have a sweary, head vein-bulging tirade about.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I watched a bit of the channel 4 coverage today. I like more than BBC stuff I've seen over the past couple years.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm Crap posted:

Whether you think F1 is in trouble depends on whether you think the brand is being slowly eroded by the loss or castration of the historical tracks, lack of title competition, "waah the cars aren't loud enough" or whatever other reason. Wicka apparently doesn't and you'll never convince him otherwise, so just leave him alone until he finds something else to have a sweary, head vein-bulging tirade about.

asking people to explain why they believe what they believe doesn't count as a tirade.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

be nice wicka posted:

if it's so obvious, explain yourselves.

63% of FOM profits go to the teams

You neglect to mention the sleazy backdoor deals: There is also a separate pool called the "constructors' championship bonus" which is about $270M and split between Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren, with Ferrari earning by far the most. Also, the two other teams decided to be "historically important" and who also have permanent places on the rule-making strategy group - Mercedes and Williams - each get payments of just over 25M.

And the remaining 9 million dollars is given to each team not in the top 10, which we usually hear things like "Isnt paying its employees" or "Will hire the iron sheik's son to race this weekend for $40M". This is the part i am hoping you will focus on. There is a difference between "Teams going under after a few years" and "Police in the garage impounding the vehicles". Even after taking home 63 percent of the money they earn plus commission, its still not enough money. Meanwhile ferrari built a massive disneyland in the desert and red bull is STILL IN THE SPORT.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

it only sounds like a classic bubble because you want it to. that's what all of you are doing. you simply want to complain and feel sad about the sky deal so you've decided F1 is in decline and you will do whatever it takes to pretend that's the truth. it's not.

you cannot repeat "f1 is in decline" or "f1 is in a bubble" over and over again and make it happen. that's not how real life works.

If viewership and attendance are in decline, I don't see how you can say the sport isn't also in decline. Everything is predicated on those two factors. Nevermind the Sky deal, the numbers have been going down on the whole for a few years now. Virtually all motorsports have.

You also can't just say the sport is doing well because lots of money is being spent on it. That too is not how real life works.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I see we have people here who were not in the 4 month long off season thread....

Lewis is in trouble again and it's with the FOM. Someone accidentally mashed some buttons and by some fluke found his snapchat and discovered that he had been uploading video from within the paddock, unless you have paid though the nose for the privilege you are not allowed to do this.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/228776/1/hamilton-defends-snapchat-use.html

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
For the past few weeks, perhaps months, Wicka, I find your posts becoming increasingly more and more disturbing. Is your personal life OK?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

For the past few weeks, perhaps months, Wicka, I find your posts becoming increasingly more and more disturbing. Is your personal life OK?

knock it off with this poo poo

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bahrain sometimes produces good races so I'm optimistic.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Human Grand Prix posted:

Bahrain sometimes produces good races so I'm optimistic.

I checked Lewis' social media and he seems to be in Bahrain in a gym with suspiciously good lighting looking rather unsweaty in a rival sponsor's gear. Nico Rosberg is currently in Monaco washing his car and talking pictures of his dog. My guess is that Nico is getting the good car next week.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Bernie has an excellent model for extracting the maximum out of the venues. The local promoters raise a bunch of money via investors/lenders while local governments use taxpayer money to pay Bernie. The promoters pay themselves a nice take home salary, Joe Governor looks good for bring economic development to the community and everyone is happy.

Eventually the annual 10% increase becomes too much to bear, and the promoter's shell corporation goes bankrupt. At that point Bernie can either decide to write off the loss and start over (like in Canada) or move that date to a new venue.

You can argue it's not a sustainable model, but people keep signing up. The only downside is that there are very few local governments in the USA who will sign up for this model (thanks Rick Perry) because F1 isn't popular here is the USA like American Football is.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
F1 isn't going to collapse, it's just going to keep sliding towards just being a money-making business networking opportunity and away from being affordable entertainment for the minority that is long term fans of the sport. It would just be nice if people who have the power to affect change in the way decisions are made would be a little less greedy, but it seems that's unlikely.

Bernie saved the sport back in the day, but he's old enough to not give a poo poo about short term losses rebuilding the sport sensibly for the next generation in order to increase the fanbase and make more money down the line because he'll probably be dead by then.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I think we're all on different pages as to how F1 works and makes money so here's an infographic I found a while back that's pretty good and cool. http://raconteur.net/infographics/the-business-of-formula-1

Here's another one about who owns F1 and how much money they're making: http://raconteur.net/infographics/the-value-behind-f1

Regarding prize money:

quote:

Every year the teams receive around 63% of F1's underlying profits as prize money. The core of this is 47.5% of the underlying profit which is divided into two, with one half split between the top ten teams in the championship in a sliding scale. The other half is split evenly and only goes to teams which have finished in the top ten in two out of the past three years.

A further 7.5% is handed to the top three teams based on the number of races won in the four seasons prior to 2012 (Ferrari, Mclaren, and Red Bull Racing), with additional historic payments to Mercedes and Williams.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

keevo posted:

I think we're all on different pages as to how F1 works and makes money so here's an infographic I found a while back that's pretty good and cool. http://raconteur.net/infographics/the-business-of-formula-1

Here's another one about who owns F1 and how much money they're making: http://raconteur.net/infographics/the-value-behind-f1

Regarding prize money:

Good articles both, but they have Lehman Brothers listed as owning 20%. There's either something I'm missing or this info is dated. Also worth noting that the bulk of F1's revenue is generated from attendance, TV deals, and sponsorship, all of which are contingent on people watching and buying tickets, the numbers of which have fallen in the past few years on a global scale.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

Good articles both, but they have Lehman Brothers listed as owning 20%. There's either something I'm missing or this info is dated. Also worth noting that the bulk of F1's revenue is generated from attendance, TV deals, and sponsorship, all of which are contingent on people watching and buying tickets, the numbers of which have fallen in the past few years on a global scale.

their share is owned by a holding company responsible for paying off lehman bros' creditors. F1 is so profitable that it's one of the few assets they didn't liquidate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

completely off topic, but if you've ever wondered who is currently eligible for a super license based on the new points system, wiki has a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence#Drivers_securing_a_Super_Licence

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

learnincurve posted:

Lewis is in trouble again and it's with the FOM. Someone accidentally mashed some buttons and by some fluke found his snapchat and discovered that he had been uploading video from within the paddock, unless you have paid though the nose for the privilege you are not allowed to do this.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/228776/1/hamilton-defends-snapchat-use.html
Bernie wouldn't even let his own daughter shoot in the paddock. Tamara had a wheeze that she could use her connection to, y'know, the man who runs F1 to get exclusive material for a TV show she planned to make, but Bernie went "LOL nope" and she ended up getting nothing more than Trentham Sleaves could have managed by hanging around at the security gate.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Wouldn't the failure of Korea, India, Turkey and Valencia - as well as the constant ongoing struggles with Spa, Monza, Silverstone, COTA and Nurburgring/Hockenheim strongly suggest that at the very least the amount of race weekend money going to the tracks is broken wicka?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I dont even hate the tilkedromes. I consider Turkey, Korea AND Valencia to be fun, interesting racing circuits. They didnt deserve to be bernie'd (valencia is boring looking but fun in sims)

Korea was terrible and they thought las vegas was going to spring up in the middle of an industrial swamp.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Wouldn't the failure of Korea, India, Turkey and Valencia - as well as the constant ongoing struggles with Spa, Monza, Silverstone, COTA and Nurburgring/Hockenheim strongly suggest that at the very least the amount of race weekend money going to the tracks is broken wicka?

no doubt the fees charged to race promoters is far too high, but it's been that way for a long time and we've never struggled to fill the schedule. we have 21 races this year, that's the longest an F1 season has ever been. i loved turkey, but didn't they struggle mightily to attract fans? and i don't think anyone is mourning the loss of korea, india and valencia.

if and when we see significant numbers of important tracks go bust or lose their places on the calendar, i'll be worried, but all recent evidence indicates that these struggles tend to end with promoters making it work. for a while we thought for sure silverstone was going away. and what actually happened? we got an upgraded silverstone.

there's a difference between saying something is bad and should be improved vs saying that thing is a terminal issue

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

be nice wicka posted:

knock it off with this poo poo

It's as poo poo as your recent hate posting, I'm genuinely concerned

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

It's as poo poo as your recent hate posting, I'm genuinely concerned

Is saying hey the sports not doing bad and here are some metrics to show that so against the typical thread on these forums where everyone circle jerks about how terrible a thing is that he suddenly has brain problems? What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

AgentJotun posted:

The business model really boils down to "find the tracks willing to pay the most money." Europeans probably feel like F1 is their sport and there should be more races there, but if the fans don't turn out to pay the high prices then Europe will end up with as many races as the USA gets.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I liked the Korea track and I don't care if it was in the middle of nowhere since I'm never going there, but as a TV spectator it was fine with me since it was a good track.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I dont even hate the tilkedromes. I consider Turkey, Korea AND Valencia to be fun, interesting racing circuits. They didnt deserve to be bernie'd (valencia is boring looking but fun in sims)

Korea was terrible and they thought las vegas was going to spring up in the middle of an industrial swamp.

India was a dreadful track for pollution, one of the reasons they never went back was because everyone had to replace engines and equipment, including the FOM, because the insides were coated in toxic filth, and the drivers complained that they were having problems breathing after being out on track as the air holes on their helmets got gummed up.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

The business model really boils down to "find the tracks willing to pay the most money." Europeans probably feel like F1 is their sport and there should be more races there, but if the fans don't turn out to pay the high prices then Europe will end up with as many races as the USA gets.

well they're right and they're wrong. F1 is traditionally a european sport, that's where the teams are, where most of the fans are, where the history is, and they deserve to have more races than other regions - and they do. like a third of the calendar is still in europe. but it's hard to justify more than that given the global nature of F1 today. i just wish we'd get over this dumb baku race and find somewhere to put a french GP.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

El Hefe posted:

I liked the Korea track and I don't care if it was in the middle of nowhere since I'm never going there, but as a TV spectator it was fine with me since it was a good track.

Korea is tiny as gently caress. "Middle of nowhere" in Korea is like a 2 hour bus or train ride.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm surprised F1 isn't at the Circuit de la Sarthe for the French GP, or Bathurst for the Australian GP.

Cool footage of Jenson driving a Mclaren round bathurst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDDFgtXRBU

Onboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4XVF3jJL5Q

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

George Zimmer posted:

The data is from 2014 if that helps.

learnincurve posted:

India was a dreadful track for pollution, one of the reasons they never went back was because everyone had to replace engines and equipment, including the FOM, because the insides were coated in toxic filth, and the drivers complained that they were having problems breathing after being out on track as the air holes on their helmets got gummed up.

Wasn't the tax issue the biggest problem with the race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
India has far more pressing issues than hosting an expensive GP, imo.

• Locked thread