Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Nooo, Tunlr got detected :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Migishu posted:

Nooo, Tunlr got detected :(

Doing some more reading, it appears they're not going after IPv6 yet? https://www.ubermotive.com/?p=344

I was going to give it a shot in the next few days, as it seems pretty promising.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Rukus posted:

Doing some more reading, it appears they're not going after IPv6 yet? https://www.ubermotive.com/?p=344

I was going to give it a shot in the next few days, as it seems pretty promising.

Probably because 99% of out of the box services don't support IPv6 (its why I disabled IPv6, kept having DNS 'leaks' with DNS6 taking priority), they're just going for the most numbers. Surprised the HE block isn't blocked yet, I'm sure it will be in the coming days.

And with how terrible IPv6 support is on most CPE, there aren't a ton of people capable of setting up a HE tunnel for their entire network (making it impossible to tunnel 'dumb' devices like a chromecast/roku/etc).

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 27, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The Adfreetime guy finally posted an update and it doesn't look good. Netflix is attacking on many fronts so it seems like there will be little incentive for these dns services to try to stay ahead of them. Also, they would be required to handle the entire video stream instead of just handling the initial request.

https://www.reddit.com/r/adfreetime/comments/4btffc/heres_where_we_stand/

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
That's a royal pain in the ticker. I'm still happy with my DNS providers service though, since I use it for more than just Netflix. Hopefully something will happen to make it better, but it doesn't look good for the short run.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Are slower internet speeds a natural limitation of living in a high rise or does downtown Hamilton just suck for internet providers? The best speeds I can get are 50mbps, which doesn't even hold a candle to the speeds I got in loving Newfoundland before I moved to southern Ontario.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's a regional thing. 50 mbps is fairly good for Ontario.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:v: You see, all the people in Ontario congests the network.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The entire province torrents 24/7, to protest anti-competitive content licensing by the cartel.

It tends to slow things down. :v:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

But it's all Linux ISOs

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Seriously? 50mbps is the best I can do in a large Canadian city not an hour from Toronto?

Holy poo poo- how in the hell is Bell-Aliant in the Atlantic provinces stomping over you all? They have gigabit internet out east now, and with no bandwidth caps last I checked.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
We haven't had a good provincial government since the 80s and I'm only picking that because I'm not old enough to know how far back the poo poo goes.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What do the other provinces do to make the ISPs be competitive?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JVNO posted:

Seriously? 50mbps is the best I can do in a large Canadian city not an hour from Toronto?

Holy poo poo- how in the hell is Bell-Aliant in the Atlantic provinces stomping over you all? They have gigabit internet out east now, and with no bandwidth caps last I checked.

Every Premier post Rae is a pro-corporate technocrat (Wynne especially), and if you aren't very white collar, you can just get hosed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Volguus posted:

What do the other provinces do to make the ISPs be competitive?

Aliant had good internet, and when bell took over, and I guess they kept going for some reason.

That's why you can get gigabit fibreop in gander and not in hamilton, I guess.

e: Holy poo poo, I didn't notice that you guys had 400 gb caps on the 300 mbps service, with the only uncapped being the gigabit, which is apparently not deployed anywhere. At least rogers stops capping once you buy a real person plan. Enjoy your 250 gb cap I guess.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 2, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I live in a mid-rise in Toronto and I have 250/20 through Rogers. This sounds more like a Hamilton problem to me.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

JVNO posted:

Are slower internet speeds a natural limitation of living in a high rise or does downtown Hamilton just suck for internet providers? The best speeds I can get are 50mbps, which doesn't even hold a candle to the speeds I got in loving Newfoundland before I moved to southern Ontario.

If you care about speed that much, research before you pick a place to live. Many areas in Hamilton get 100Mbps+ cable (both through incumbents and wholesale), so this isn't even a Hamilton problem so much is, where-you-chose-to-live-in Hamilton problem.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 2, 2016

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What are you using the Internet for that 50mbps vs 100mbps makes that huge of a difference for you? 99% of people can get away with 25mbps plans no issues.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I don't see why you'd need anything faster than ISDN

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

What are you using the Internet for that 50mbps vs 100mbps makes that huge of a difference for you? 99% of people can get away with 25mbps plans no issues.

Can't be a Twitch star with a 5mb upload bruh. :rolleyes:

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

JVNO posted:

I get close to a gig on Bell in Burlington. I'd say maybe your area or infrastructure could be congested?
Edit: Wait never mind, you're looking for package offerings. It's because the infrastructure in your area isn't developed to offer 100/250/500/1000Mbit speeds to multiple clients, I'd assume.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 3, 2016

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

How about this

https://www.smartflix.io/

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'd be willing to pay out for a decent Netflix DNS but right now Netflix is cracking down harshly enough that it's not a good bet.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Straight up get a VPN. Went with NordVpn for 3$ a month and it's been working great. Lots of other bonuses that come with a VPN service too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My swanky new Start modem arrived today, while I was getting a tooth pulled.

Speaking of pulling teeth, getting a disconnect order through Rogers was an epic undertaking. I must have been on hold for forty minutes or more, with a rep popping in every few to apologise for the wait while Retentions waited for me to get tired and hang up, but I finally got things sorted.

Here's hoping they don't pull a fast one after the hand-off at the end of the month.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Straight up get a VPN. Went with NordVpn for 3$ a month and it's been working great. Lots of other bonuses that come with a VPN service too.

They're starting to block entire data center ARIN blocks, I wouldn't count on that working for long either.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

Speaking of pulling teeth, getting a disconnect order through Rogers was an epic undertaking. I must have been on hold for forty minutes or more, with a rep popping in every few to apologise for the wait while Retentions waited for me to get tired and hang up, but I finally got things sorted.

Here's hoping they don't pull a fast one after the hand-off at the end of the month.

You didn't let Start handle that? They usually will deal with it for you, in fact I've found it goes smoother if you let them worry about it.

For the Netflix related discussion above I'm proxying the whole video feed from a rented server to my place.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

VPNs have as much guarantee as the link I just provided which I was hoping someone could provide testimony for.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

You didn't let Start handle that? They usually will deal with it for you, in fact I've found it goes smoother if you let them worry about it.

Crap. I would have, if I'd realized it was an option. I e-mailed sales because I wasn't sure what the precise process was, and that's what the rep told me to do. Oh well.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Zigmidge posted:

VPNs have as much guarantee as the link I just provided which I was hoping someone could provide testimony for.

Smartflix is pretty questionable. I like it, but they are working off of either a chrome or Firefox API which limits them to 720p. Also depending on region it will potentially be locked, and the last time u looked into it the sounded like unlocked the issue could be next to impossible.

I will say their premise is amazing though. They basically unified every region of Netflix into one. Something that no one else has really jumped on.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Bieeardo posted:

Took me three months to port my phone number away, and they tried to charge for each one.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
All being told I'm SOL for American Netflix on a Smart TV these days aren't I?

I have like one DNS code that still works... Sometimes... In the middle of the night... When the planets align.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

JVNO posted:

All being told I'm SOL for American Netflix on a Smart TV these days aren't I?

I have like one DNS code that still works... Sometimes... In the middle of the night... When the planets align.

Borderless internet still works fine if you got signed up before they closed invites. Enable it at the router level as well or use dnsmasq to reroute just Netflix related requests. Beyond that you can find a hosting provider and proxy the video yourself.

The other DNS providers are either looking into proxying the whole feed or are simply giving up while soaking people for awhile longer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On my Telus 50Mb plan I'm getting about 6.8Mb/s down and 11Mb/s up, what the heck is goin on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Interesting. I'm on a 25/5 with Teskavvy down in southern alberta. I normally pull a solid 25/6 but today download is anywhere from 12-25 and the latency has been 2-3x normal. I think there is something going on out west today.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Turns out a truck yanking a cable on the box mounted on the pole effed up my connection. The crack Telus crew showed up and removed the dangling wire without peeking in the box to see what else might have been affected. After a service call today I'm back to my full 50. :thumbsup:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

slidebite posted:

Interesting. I'm on a 25/5 with Teskavvy down in southern alberta. I normally pull a solid 25/6 but today download is anywhere from 12-25 and the latency has been 2-3x normal. I think there is something going on out west today.

I just checked in with Shaw in South Edmonton (for work) and no issues are reported up here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What's the new modem Telus is switchin people to, is it another Actiontec? Is it possible to get it into bridge mode? I lost the capability now VPN to/from my router (R7000) does not work, I discovered.

Had managed to fiddle it into bridge mode on my V1000.

E: hopefully this works: http://npopson.com/archives/2202

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 11, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

What's the new modem Telus is switchin people to, is it another Actiontec? Is it possible to get it into bridge mode? I lost the capability now VPN to/from my router (R7000) does not work, I discovered.

Yeah, Actiontec V2000H or T1200H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

priznat posted:

In Vancouver they now install an Alcatel Lucent fiber box and plug an actiontec T1200 in to that. You can just plug your R7000 straight into the Alcatel Lucent box, or if you're not on fiber you can bridge the T1200 or T2200 easily from the advanced config menu.