Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Chevrolet SS not dead yet: Product chief suggests replacement V8 performance sedan on its way

:marc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
The replacement will likely be an Alpha platform derivative if it's still RWD, I can't see an entirely new platform or continuation of the Zeta platform (no AWD). GM still needs cop cars and losing the Caprice will create a void. They could go Ford's path and make a new Impala SS, though. That would be neat. Shame though, the Chevy SS/VF Commodore seem like amazing cars that just keep getting better.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

That's the US market Corolla - it's what Toyota think you want to see

Desperate to raise their average buyer's age, a Toyota executive unwisely requests that their California design team develp the car equivalent of dubstep

Remember when they delayed the previous gen Corolla for a year to try and make it "edgier" and "sportier" to compete with the then new Civic and Kias? That's right, the current Corolla is supposed to be the "hip" version

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Drop the new Camaro/stingray 6.2L into a Chevy-fied CTS-V and call it a day

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'd be OK with the 3.6L Twin Turbo from the V-Sports dropped into a sedan.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hell, take the running gear from the current model, slap it on the Alpha platform and you're good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

Desperate to raise their average buyer's age, a Toyota executive unwisely requests that their California design team develp the car equivalent of dubstep

Remember when they delayed the previous gen Corolla for a year to try and make it "edgier" and "sportier" to compete with the then new Civic and Kias? That's right, the current Corolla is supposed to be the "hip" version

poo poo guys, I was right here this entire time. Did Toyota lose my business card again?

You could probably go on the tumblr, search for "Toyota" and then just do what I said to do.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Cage posted:

Who cares about evos? :colbert:

Not enough to keep it around, apparently.

RIP, EVO. Maybe now you'll get cheap enough for me to buy one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Evos are one of those cars I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable buying used.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wheeee posted:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I remember going to a Mitsubishi dealership in Houston and trying to test drive an Evo 9. I had just test driven a WRX (the flying vagina model) and wanted to see the difference. Holy poo poo the evo was so bad. I mean the hood vents where rain could fall right on the engine, the cardboard floor in the trunk, the fisher-price grade interior. All for close to $40K. Also they wouldn't let me drive it because "they's race caws, nobody drive dem, maybe you start out on a Galant"

gently caress Mitsubishi in general, and Champion Mitsubishi in particular. I'm also amazed the Mirage is a car sold in [current year] wow, that thing looks like a penalty box.

Aztech
May 30, 2009

BloodBag posted:

gently caress Mitsubishi in general, and Champion Mitsubishi in particular. I'm also amazed the Mirage is a car sold in [current year] wow, that thing looks like a penalty box.

Honestly a literal penalty box would probably drive better then the loving mirage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

There are a whole lot of cars that fall into this type of category. EVO, STI, and as I'm learning, E46 M3. You just have to be diligent and hope to find something that previous owners haven't beat the poo poo out of and thrown a bunch of lovely mods on.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

fknlo posted:

There are a whole lot of cars that fall into this type of category. EVO, STI, and as I'm learning, E46 M3. You just have to be diligent and hope to find something that previous owners haven't beat the poo poo out of and thrown a bunch of lovely mods on.

As I found out when I sold mine, Mazdaspeed3 for sure. I got at least $3-4k more for mine than similar models for sale because I didn't have a straight pipe exhaust and green plastidipped wheels. The buyer said he was happy to pay the premium for mine because it was obvious I didn't dump the clutch at every red light and turn the boost up to a million. It was just a clean well kept car with very minimal mods and good service records.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

opengl128 posted:

As I found out when I sold mine, Mazdaspeed3 for sure. I got at least $3-4k more for mine than similar models for sale because I didn't have a straight pipe exhaust and green plastidipped wheels. The buyer said he was happy to pay the premium for mine because it was obvious I didn't dump the clutch at every red light and turn the boost up to a million. It was just a clean well kept car with very minimal mods and good service records.

That gives me hope when I go to sell my STI. It's the last year of the hatchback and the only thing I've done to it is a Cobb stage 1 map, the easiest thing in the world to reverse.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I get the feeling that ten years from now finding a clean, unmolested Fiesta ST or Toyobaru is going be like finding a unicorn.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've seen a few cotton tops driving toyobarus around town. Makes me hopeful that in a few years, I'll be able to find one that requires no unfucking outside of pulling off some fake chrome trim pieces.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Wheeee posted:

I get the feeling that ten years from now finding a clean, unmolested Fiesta ST or Toyobaru is going be like finding a unicorn.

The STs are cheap enough now that if you want a stock one in 10 years, you might as well get one now.

I don't think finding a stockish Toyobaru will be hard at all. It's not like you can extract power cheaply from the engine. So there isn't as much incentive to mod them as it's turbocharged competition.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

The STs are cheap enough now that if you want a stock one in 10 years, you might as well get one now.

I don't think finding a stockish Toyobaru will be hard at all. It's not like you can extract power cheaply from the engine. So there isn't as much incentive to mod them as it's turbocharged competition.

pretty much every toyobaru is going to be ebay rocketbunny'd by stupid teenagers.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

pretty much every toyobaru is going to be ebay rocketbunny'd by stupid teenagers.

That guy's entire channel is one fail after another. It's actually fun to watch in a sadistic kind of way.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

That guy's entire channel is one fail after another. It's actually fun to watch in a sadistic kind of way.

Instructed by youtube and built by Harbor Freight. It's an endearing disaster. I can't wait until he starts on the Lotus. That thing is three kinds of hosed.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Oh, Volkswagen :allears:

quote:

Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) is recalling nearly 5,600 electric e-Golf cars in the United States to address a battery problem that can cause stalling, the company said Monday.

VW said the recall covers all electric vehicles it has sold in the United States since it launched it in November 2014.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday that the German automaker is recalling its 2015-2016 e-Golf electric vehicle because software in the "high-voltage battery management system may inadvertently classify a brief internal electrical current surge/peak as a critical battery condition," which could cause the car to shut down.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-recall-idUSKCN0WU1FN

Just a software bug so hopefully an easy fix...at least the battery didn't somehow start leaking windshield washer fluid.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BoostCreep posted:

Can I get a link to this please? I need more schadenfreude in my life

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Laserface posted:

Can I get a link to this please? I need more schadenfreude in my life

His understanding of physics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g51IAahllzY&t=387s

Here, he fixes the cracked crank case with JB weld a second time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6sKBsQi3LU

Chrysler level engineering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTKR255--I&t=687s

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Touching a blown airbag bare handed is disgusting. There is always some bodily fluid on them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Christ that poor evora :smith:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I realize that this vehicle isn't new, but neither is whatever that tool is doing.

So, I guess Mercedes pretty much won't make a new G-wagen, and have been making the thing since 1979 and still sell it for $120,000 base :captainpop:

It's funny to see the things looking like an early 80's troop transport with all the modern poo poo kinda tacked on. I saw a g550 yesterday with the backup camera kinda plunked at the top of the tailgate like what they hang off of the back of UPS trucks. The side mirrors have that blind spot stuff, and the headlights are the stupid LED strips from casemods.com and HIDZ. But for all intents and purposes the thing looks the same as the late 70's ones. I can't imagine the tooling for those things hasn't paid for itself many times over by now.

Why can't other car makers do this? I wish BMW would make the E46 coupe again :negative:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Pretty sure the G-wagen is only there because of rich Russians/Arabs and 0 taste

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

awesome-express posted:

Pretty sure the G-wagen is only there because of rich Arabs and 0 taste

Which is why the petrol ones only comes in high powered V8 flavors. I bet the Diesel ones are rotting somewhere in a dank Austrian warehouse. You can have all the money in the world yet it can't buy good taste.

You wouldn't believe how many you'd see in an ME country in just a single day (and all of them in pristine white).

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 30, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BloodBag posted:

Why can't other car makers do this? I wish BMW would make the E46 coupe again :negative:

Trucks get all kinds of leeway on safety and emissions regulations. Not that the E46 is some deathtrap but I doubt it would pass 2016-spec safety and emissions regs without some changes. Emissions can be dealt with somewhat by swapping to newer engines, but then you have to make those newer engines physically fit...

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There's a G Wagen always parked at the local antique shop, one of the owners' cars. Next to it usually parked his 911. Back window sticker on the G-Wagen is something like "PORSCHE RESCUE TEAM". I laugh every time I see it.

Edit: Aw, can't zoom in on it on Street View

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 30, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The G wagen is the finest car around for when you need to feel like a tinpot dictator rolling through his freshly conqured country.

Short of a 1970s Mercedes limo that is.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ExplodingSims posted:

The G wagen is the finest car around for when you need to feel like a tinpot dictator rolling through his freshly conqured country.

Sort of.

:colbert:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Not exactly a new car, but news related to new cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sp7nvuOxtY

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Consumer Reports started to mention headlights a few years ago, not sure if they've kept up on that.

People in Seattle seem to drive around without any headlights so would they notice any difference????

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

CharlesM posted:

Consumer Reports started to mention headlights a few years ago, not sure if they've kept up on that.

People in Seattle seem to drive around without any headlights so would they notice any difference????

I saw this on the news today and the soundbite that grabbed my attention was "most drivers don't actually use their high beams".

Maybe it's because I live in the land of the suicidal deer and drive to work in the dark 9 months out of the year, but I'd use my high beams all the time if I could.

I had a rental GMC Terrain recently and that thing had terrible headlights. There was an abrupt cutoff that in the vertical light pattern, almost like if you took tape and taped off the top half of the headlights. It was worse than the BMW 3 series used in that video.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LordOfThePants posted:

I had a rental GMC Terrain recently and that thing had terrible headlights. There was an abrupt cutoff that in the vertical light pattern, almost like if you took tape and taped off the top half of the headlights. It was worse than the BMW 3 series used in that video.

How high off the ground at typical truck-following distance (three feet) was the cut-off? Miata mirror height? Camry mirror height?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So.... how much is this thread going to blow up at 8:30PM tomorrow?

LordOfThePants posted:

I saw this on the news today and the soundbite that grabbed my attention was "most drivers don't actually use their high beams".

Maybe it's because I live in the land of the suicidal deer and drive to work in the dark 9 months out of the year, but I'd use my high beams all the time if I could.

Rarely use mine. Almost never have 0 traffic facing me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What's 8:30PM tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

MrYenko posted:

Sort of.

:colbert:

Your reading skills are subpar comrade, TO THE PLUTONIUM MINES WITH YOU!