Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm sorry I don't remember a half asian Barry Allen who's really good at math but has incredibly strict parents showing up and dicking around with Wally while he was The Flash. Tell me how this is the same situation.

The issue is replacing a new character with an old one to pander to fans is the exact same reason that Geoff Johns resurrected Barry & Hal in the first place. I don't like the new Wally and god knows I'd like to have the odl one back, but two wrongs don't make a right, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Is Artemis related to Wonder Woman? I pretty much only know her from Young Justice. You're right, though, this is hella cool. I'll miss Roy but am glad Starfire is still gone, and Bizarro on a team book is a wonderful idea.

This is (presumably) the Amazon Artemis. Different character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm really confused about the two Supermen thing now., cause I just saw this Pat Gleason cover, which would probably be for his own comic, but that's definitely L+C Clark.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Yvonmukluk posted:

The issue is replacing a new character with an old one to pander to fans is the exact same reason that Geoff Johns resurrected Barry & Hal in the first place. I don't like the new Wally and god knows I'd like to have the odl one back, but two wrongs don't make a right, here.

Except they still thought, yeah, it's a good idea to bring Wally back. Which is not something that happened with Barry during Wally's tenure -- as a matter of fact, one of the best Flash stories ever is about how lovely an idea that was.

But that's what they've done. They decided they should start using that Wally West name. But instead of doing it any justice they did it horribly. Now imagine if during Wally's run they brought back Barry as a completely different character. That's the problem. If you're going to bring back Wally West bring back Wally West, don't just reuse the name like that's the only part of the character that matters.

The problem is thinking that the characters can't coexist. That's what ruined The Flash Family in the first place and has set The Flash as this mediocre at best book since 2009. You don't have to replace Barry when you bring back Wally. There's literally two Supermen who've been hanging around DC for the last year. There's six Green Lanterns now. There's infinite Batman spinoffs. You don't have to kill Barry to bring back Wally, even if bringing back Barry is the worst thing that ever happened to Wally the first time around.

edit: also minor note that Kid Flash costume looks atrocious on that character design. They should learn from Danica Williams if they want a black person in an open cowl Flash suit.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 26, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Part of it is going to be the way they changed too.

Barry Allen died saving the entire multiverse and being awesome. Characters mourned, he was remembered, a big part of Wally's character was living up to Barry.

Wally disappeared in a puff of smoke and was negated from existence.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Part of it is going to be the way they changed too.

Barry Allen died saving the entire multiverse and being awesome. Characters mourned, he was remembered, a big part of Wally's character was living up to Barry.

Wally disappeared in a puff of smoke and was negated from existence.

When Barry died Wally did everything he could to live up to the example he set.

Barry returned the favor by personally deleting Wally and the rest of his family from existence because he missed his mom and is, apparently, an amateur time traveler.

Seems pretty fair to me.

Presumably Wally's course was run when he sacrificed himself to save the world from Superboy Prime, but then they made it so that that was actually Barry, and Superboy Prime came back a few months later, and oh so does Wally well now everything's a convoluted mess. Oh well!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hal is one thing, but bringing Barry back to life comes off as critically missing the point. Not of Barry, not of Wally, not of The Flash, but of the entire DC Universe. It's all about legacy and you piss all over that when you bring back Barry and then kick everyone else out of the clubhouse. There's a clear line of succession and the parade doesn't move backwards. What's worse is I don't feel like we've gotten any Barry stories in the interim to justify his return. Not really. Even the CW Flash, which I love, isn't enough. Hell, that show's stab at having the Flash family is 0-2.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Haven't watched the stream, what is the difference between the two titans titles?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Haven't watched the stream, what is the difference between the two titans titles?

Teen Titans is about Damian recruiting a new bunch. Apparently that group includes NuWally, Starfire, Beast Boy, and someone who looks like Raven but has a different haircolor...?

Titans is the continuation of Titans Hunt, which is about the original squad who are all adults now. The original squad sans Good Wally, of course.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know next to nothing about Jessica Cruz, bar that she was Power Ring because she was literally the most scared person on Earth, so I assume the gimmick is she's a GL now because she's overcome more fear than anyone?

Nightwing costume and BoP ones look dope and that Gleason Superman with the gold belt is AMAZING.

I'm at least slightly interested in most of these. Will likely at least dip into Wonder Woman, Batgirl, BoP, 'Tec, Beyond, Superwoman (yes, the idea intrigues me enough that I'll try sight-unseen. Plus Emanuela's been real good on Starfire), Nightwing, Supergirl and maybe one of the other Super-books. Maybe Green Lanterns, too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh sweet merciful God Greg Rucka on Wonder Woman with Nicola Scott and some other guy who's pretty good I guess I dunno this is an actual sex dream come to life

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Still kinda lame that we have a grand total of 4 women writers on 3 books (because 2 of them are a team) and I don't believe a single all-female creative team.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Most of Rebirth is looking pretty great.

The Green Lantern line looks like poo poo and while I like Tom King on Batman I would've loved it more if he was on Green Lantern and continued his Omega Men themes in that story.

I also don't really care for the Superman line, at least Supes himself. I love the new costume but Tomasi was awful on SM/WW and his side of Truth was the worst of the lot which is saying something when Yang was doing a rubbish job too.

On the other hand holy poo poo Wonder Woman and holy poo poo I never thought I'd be reading Deathstroke.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Having Tom King and David Finch on Batman is like saying "I have an awesome present for you. Also gently caress you!"

From the creatives announced I'll be checking out Batman, Nightwing, Batgirl, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, New Superman, Supergirl, Trinity, Flash, and maybe Super Sons depending on the team. But I'll probably be keeping those twice monthly ones on a short leash.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Trinity is so tempting because I really liked his Flash, and even if the story sucks, it'll be fuckin' GORGEOUS.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
As someone who generally doesn't care about the big main DC books, I'm kinda excited for the Rebirth books. There are a couple of minor characters I'm hoping have some place in Rebirth (Midnighter, Harper Row, Catwoman, etc) but I wouldn't be surprised if Midnighter ended up in Grayson, Harper in Birds of Prey, etc v:v:v.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Trinity is so tempting because I really liked his Flash, and even if the story sucks, it'll be fuckin' GORGEOUS.

And the other artist is Clay Mann who has was killing it at Valiant before he went DC exclusive.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I just hope Rucka's Wonder Woman: The Lies doesn't proceed to retcon all of Azz's run.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Rucka posted some answers about stuff on his blog

That guy posted:

Yes, it’s true, I’m writing Wonder Woman. The book is shipping twice a month, and for the first six months or so, we’re pursuing two independent – but related – storylines. The intention is to write at least 24 issues of the series.

Liam Sharp is drawing the “odd” numbered issues. His story is set in “contemporary” continuity, and is called Wonder Woman: The Lies.

No, I’m not going to tell you what the lies are, because then there’d hardly be a point in you reading the book. Suffice it to say, for now, that Diana discovers that some of the facts she’s taken as truth are…brittle under closer examination. She sets off to separate the lies from the truth.
I can't stop laughing

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is Rucka good or bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So they're doing alternating monthly stories huh? That's actually not a bad idea.

WickedHate posted:

Is Rucka good or bad.

Neither. He's great.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So 24 issues on a double shipping schedule is about a year worth of books. Just in time for the next DC relaunch in June 2017!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's going to piss off some people really bad that odd and even number issues of the book are telling different stories. And that makes me so happy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's basically how it was with Hickman's Avengers, except they were technically different books.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dear DC: Please bring back old Image Comic double flip comics back.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I really hope Rucka doesn't clear cut all of Azzarello's stuff, it's a dick move and he should know how that feels.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Zowie, Rucka's run is either going to poo poo all over Azzarello's run, or build on it such that they end up almost a single long arc.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dear DC: Please add more characters to The Hellblazer, like Zatanna, Deadman, and Nightmare Nurse. Then rename the book "Justice League Dark".

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's good that DC realised that people wanted Terry back as Batman Beyond but Dan Jurgens is not a writer who I can get exited about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I actually really like Lois and Clark, and I've never been a big proponent of Jurgens (outside his art on Superman which I loved in the '90s). Maybe it's just that I really don't like the N52 incarnation much and having this version back makes it artificially better. But I'm looking forward to his Action Comics dealing with that Clark, Lois, and Jon.

EDIT: Man I just read that whole Rucka post, man he sounds salty as hell about a company he's working for again. Also it seems his Black Magick book is going on hiatus for a year because of this. So if you like that book sorry I guess!

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 27, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What's the state of Milestone and its IP? Does DC own or license those still?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

EDIT: Man I just read that whole Rucka post, man he sounds salty as hell about a company he's working for again. Also it seems his Black Magick book is going on hiatus for a year because of this. So if you like that book sorry I guess!
Eh I read the first four issues of it and couldn't get quite as sucked into it like I was with Lazarus. But it makes sense that the book would go on hiatus since both him and Nicola Scott work on it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

:( It wasn't like "grade A amazing, cancel Wonder Woman if it means no Black Magick" good but I enjoyed it, especially the artwork. Mostly it going on break sucks because it has been a slow building book that hasn't really gotten to its payoff yet, so it'll either wrap up quick or end randomly and come back a year later, maybe.

More Rebirth feelings: Are Jim Gordon or Duke, that guy from We Are Robin, in anything? I know they could always pop up in Detective Comics or something but just adding to my list of "DC-You characters I hope come back in DC Rebirth".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Is Rucka good or bad.

Highly recommend you check out his Batwoman run on Detective Comics. Also Lazarus, though it didn't really grab me. Also Gotham Central. Read that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

More Rebirth feelings: Are Jim Gordon or Duke, that guy from We Are Robin, in anything? I know they could always pop up in Detective Comics or something but just adding to my list of "DC-You characters I hope come back in DC Rebirth".

As of Batman #50 Jim Gordon's police commissioner again, so he's almost guaranteed to be a regular face in King's Batman and quite likely Detective Comics as well. In that same issue Bruce is shown approaching Duke saying he has an "offer" for him. It was assumed Duke was going to be the new official Robin, but after todays announcements I dont know if that's still the popular rumor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

What's the state of Milestone and its IP? Does DC own or license those still?

The story seems to change every week. Currently they've reupped on it because I guess they want to make a Static movie or something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So watching the Rebirth panel that I missed earlier and... uh... I kinda really like what the new writer of Cyborg had to say about the book. It sounds like a cool take. I will actually check out an issue or two after hearing him talk about it. If DC actually makes me give a gently caress about Cyborg then anything really is possible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

I really hope Rucka doesn't clear cut all of Azzarello's stuff, it's a dick move and he should know how that feels.

Almost like Azzarello clear-cutting all of Marston (William and Elizabeth), Perez and Rucka's stuff? Why are his changes sacrosanct, but the stuff he decided to retcon is fine to lose?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Because they rebooted the universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

So watching the Rebirth panel that I missed earlier and... uh... I kinda really like what the new writer of Cyborg had to say about the book. It sounds like a cool take. I will actually check out an issue or two after hearing him talk about it. If DC actually makes me give a gently caress about Cyborg then anything really is possible.

I don't know how I feel about the world getting yet another cybernetics eat the soul story, though.