Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Fintilgin posted:

Too bad. I often want to do something like keep Panama or a Caribbean island as a staging area / recruitment / national zone.

I mean, I usually do it by grabbing Newfoundland or something (and nothing else in Canada), but it would be nice to have some more choice.

:rip: Guyana, once the best colonial area to do this in.

The Louisiana coastline isn't too bad for it, especially if you claim either the US or Mexico, then you can push back into it later after you've got 100,000 men [s]running around the Americas[s] sitting on your colonies all game, not contributing anything to your empire.

e to avoid double posting: Just had Brunswick sell Hannover to Cologne. Cologne doesn't have a core on it. :stare:

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Hello friends. The EU4 Goon Saturday game has come to a close, and on that note, we're beginning a whole new game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743383&pagenumber=19#post457909068

Come on over and get in on the ground floor of our latest and greatest Saturday game using our dumb mod that's now available on the Steam Workshop. After only 6 days we have 856 subscribers and counting! We play on Saturdays at 3:00 EST. This specific game will be beginning on April 16th, so join on in for the schemes, the backstabs, and the laughs.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

Well you can recruit in your CNs now, which is the most annoying part of that removed.

Ooooh, I didn't know that, that's nice.

I'd still like to be able to make American territories my national zones though. I can see it being particularly useful if you're playing a game as someone like Brittany or Ireland who may get kicked out of Europe. Lets you establish a safe zone if you need to flee without having to game things by putting 4 in 13 colonies, 4 in Canada, 4 in Caribbean... etc.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just tried to do the Big Blue Blob achievement but by 1485 I was only at 75 provinces and practically all of Western Europe + Morocco had joined in a coalition against me. And then suddenly Morocco was like "let's get this thing started" and declares war and that's where I stopped playing last night; I'm concerned that dealing with the war is going to take too much time and that I might already not have enough provinces anyway.

My route was to slowly gobble up Castille and Portugal while breaking into Scotland, Sweden, and Norway for the cheap provinces there. Granada grew rather large in the meantime which gave me some lucky low-AE grabs but that didn't really stop the entire world from hating me.

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So I've fell off the wagon and into the habit of wasting endless hours playing EU4. It's been over a year since I last booted it up and I realized there were more poo poo for me to waste money on. What's the verdict on DLC since Art of War?

Thread title aside, Common Sense seems like it would be extremely my poo poo. I generally like the idea of having more internal politics/development type stuff and don't mind micromanaging vassals, but I was a little concerned over the mixed Steam reviews. Given that I have little interest in playing New World nations I assume El Dorado is skippable, and The Cossacks seems 50-50: the description of Estates on the EU4 wiki makes it seem like a total pain in the rear end, but the diplomatic feedback mechanic looks hot.

As an aside, I've recently started a France game and I've actually find the HRE/Curia mechanics to be much better than I expected. I typically just try to recreate the Caliphate w/ Ottomans so I have no experience playing in Europe and I'm really enjoying messing around there. I just really wish there was a way to assassinate heirs so I can spread the my dynasty far and wide, instead of constantly seeing other countries produce heirs with strong claims right after I marry into them.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

the shadow toker posted:

So I've fell off the wagon and into the habit of wasting endless hours playing EU4. It's been over a year since I last booted it up and I realized there were more poo poo for me to waste money on. What's the verdict on DLC since Art of War?

Thread title aside, Common Sense seems like it would be extremely my poo poo. I generally like the idea of having more internal politics/development type stuff and don't mind micromanaging vassals, but I was a little concerned over the mixed Steam reviews. Given that I have little interest in playing New World nations I assume El Dorado is skippable, and The Cossacks seems 50-50: the description of Estates on the EU4 wiki makes it seem like a total pain in the rear end, but the diplomatic feedback mechanic looks hot.

As an aside, I've recently started a France game and I've actually find the HRE/Curia mechanics to be much better than I expected. I typically just try to recreate the Caliphate w/ Ottomans so I have no experience playing in Europe and I'm really enjoying messing around there. I just really wish there was a way to assassinate heirs so I can spread the my dynasty far and wide, instead of constantly seeing other countries produce heirs with strong claims right after I marry into them.

The newest DLC is set to drop relatively soon, I think around April 5th or so? That would be a good time to pick up any new DLC. If you like Horde nations then Cossacks would be good, but I think if you have Art of War there are no must haves. Common Sense adds a lot of neat features for a lot of religions, adds development, and the ability to fire advisors to free up a slot. I would pick up common sense for sure, especially since it will probably be discounted deeply.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Common sense is necessary to actually use development, so it's pretty essential. Cossacks bring in diplo feedback, threaten war and other cool stuff. Estates are pretty dumb right now and are just another button to press. I'd say it's overall worth it on sale.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Average Bear posted:

Common sense is necessary to actually use development, so it's pretty essential. Cossacks bring in diplo feedback, threaten war and other cool stuff. Estates are pretty dumb right now and are just another button to press. I'd say it's overall worth it on sale.
I disagree about estates but otherwise yes Cossacks is great.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Estates are extremely useful.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Estates are pretty rad, the one thing I dislike about Cossacks is the Favors system since it slows down the early war game so much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I however do like that favors make it easier to call bigger allies into offensive wars. Before you needed either luck or them declaring on you for that stuff.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think estates are pretty boring, but I guess you can get some monarch points out of them or whatever. :geno:

They don't feel like political factions or integrated into the games foundational systems. They feel like something a mod would add. They're just some numbers that bobble up and down and I can push a button that says 'Call Diet' or 'Grant Monopoly Charter' but might as well say 'Flibble Dibble' because it just burns prestige to make them 'happy'.

I know it's not going to happen, but I still want EU 5 to drop stability and add pops (closer to what we've seen in Stellaris then V2) so that our population can have opinions and issues and unique religions and cultures, and dealing with our own French nobility is different from dealing with conquered German nobility or French peasants or Catholic clergy or conquered Dutch Burghers. Stuff like the estate system just seems sort of soulless and jerry-rigged to me. :smith:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Haha, "dealing" with peasants from the 15th to early 19th century. That's a good one. The way I deal with them is covering my face in a cloth so I don't have to wallow in their stink.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Gooniversalis mod is fun, but there's a few weird bugs (or intended things maybe?) here and there. Notably, why is constitutional monarchy unlockable at the first admin tech? It feels cheesy to get a parliament in the 15th century.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
The mod was built around multiplayer balance, and Admin Tech 22 is too late in the game for anybody to really enjoy it, so a number of things were moved forward so that A. Players have more options available to try and build their country differently and B. Let people actually use the government type more than two sessions before the game ends.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ah, fair enough.

On an even more minor note though, why was Occitania removed/never implemented? I just did an mp game with some other goons, and noticed Toulouse's flag was different, dug through the mod's files and there's still a few traces off Occitania there but nothing that can actually show up in-game.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So we can expect a price reduction when the new DLC drops?
I have a poo poo Internet connection right now, so I can't figure out if that Paradox sale last weekend is ongoing or if it includes EU4 DLC. Should I pick DLC up now or wait until April 5?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Ah, fair enough.

On an even more minor note though, why was Occitania removed/never implemented? I just did an mp game with some other goons, and noticed Toulouse's flag was different, dug through the mod's files and there's still a few traces off Occitania there but nothing that can actually show up in-game.

It's one of the things that is planned but not implemented yet because I am very lazy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So we can expect a price reduction when the new DLC drops?
I have a poo poo Internet connection right now, so I can't figure out if that Paradox sale last weekend is ongoing or if it includes EU4 DLC. Should I pick DLC up now or wait until April 5?

Wait. Usually when they release a new DLC it's full price, the one before that is 25% off, and everything before that is 75% off. If you can hold off a week and a bit, you're virtually guaranteed a big sale on almost all the EU4 DLC.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

Estates are extremely useful.

Of course. They're not interesting or fun, though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have fun optimizing the layout of estates throughout my land and playing the influence balancing game for maximum benefit, but ymmv

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The problem with Estates is that they're guaranteed to piss off big chunks of the fan base if they're much more than they are. If they could be a serious threat to your realm that required you to manage them seriously, people would be furious that it slowed down their map painted game, and caused all sorts of civil wars "for no reason".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I feel like EU4 is one of those games where the fanbase would be super mad about that but then would keep buying all of the expansions and sequels anyway because A) Cossacks didn't just bring estates, it also brought some other really good improvements and holy poo poo HORDES + b) where the gently caress else are you going to go for your beautiful Renaissance map-painting serious strategy games?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it would be cool if estates, and maybe other DLC features, could be toggled off or on when you start a new game.

Without disabling the rest of the DLC it comes with, I mean.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the AI is trying for an achievement run:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

The problem with Estates is that they're guaranteed to piss off big chunks of the fan base if they're much more than they are. If they could be a serious threat to your realm that required you to manage them seriously, people would be furious that it slowed down their map painted game, and caused all sorts of civil wars "for no reason".

Yes, that is a complete and accurate summary of anyone who might dislike the estates system, well done

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Prop Wash posted:

Yes, that is a complete and accurate summary of anyone who might dislike the estates system, well done

That's not what he said. Geez.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Ofaloaf posted:

Ah, fair enough.

It's a holdover from the original EG, where we created a load of custom nations and made so much extra work for ourselves it wasn't even funny.

e: we might bring back formables like Occ, but it's not on the top of our list at the moment.

e2: if you're playing EG MP, any/all thoughts are good, please more

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 27, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Obliterati posted:

e2: if you're playing EG MP, any/all thoughts are good, please more

Playing in that game as Hainaut, Walloon countries should be able to choose to form the Netherlands as well as France (or if not the Netherlands itself then maybe Belgium, but that would be an extra tag you'd need to make).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Good thing I wasn't talking about Estates as-implemented then.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Good thing I wasn't talking about Estates as-implemented then.

You were trying to say that estates can't be a more central focus of the game because most players are too ignorant or disinterested to bother with anything but winning wars and clicking the "Make Core" button, right? I think you're underestimating the majority of players, but it's impossible to know because most features since Common Sense were implemented in such a manner that none of them feel particularly relevant. Estates, horde unity, revanchism, native policy, karma, parliament, devotion, or even most of the disasters - there's no problem with a country that a bit of manpower and a reasonably sized army can't fix. I think most players would be happy with a rehauled estates system that made internal politics an existential threat.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't think Estates can be that, though. Not with the DLC model. In a hypothetical EU5 Estates could absolutely be a very good core mechanic like Stellaris Pops/Sectors or CK2 Vassals that have to be managed or your realm is going to tear itself apart, but when it's a feature you only get to play with when you buy the DLC, they simply cannot make it that integral to the game's fabric. A set of bonuses and penalties to manage is really all you're going to get, and the best they can do is make getting the numbers in the right places moderately interesting.

Honestly, the best place I'd put Estates as a core mechanic is as a replacement for monarch points. Noble/Clergy/Burgher as implemented already roughly mirror Mil/Adm/Dip. To do things with your country you might have to work with managing the estate(s) responsible for those aspects of your country.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

How one deals with the tremendous fuckery that is a franco-austrian alliance?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Transmetropolitan posted:

Weep.

But really:

Ally a bigger fish (or a conglomerate of nations that collectively amounts to a bigger fish).
See if you can ally one of them, and then trick them into getting at war with each other by attacking a non-mutual ally of theirs.
If you can ally one, but can't do the above trick, call one as an ally in some bullshit war, then attack the other.
Wait until one won't honor the call, and then attack
If you can somehow get at war with one without the other (e.g. attacking a non-mutual ally) make them annul their treaty in a peace deal.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Yeah, I started a game as Castile a week or two ago. Got mauled by an aggressive Franco-Austrian-Aragon alliance. Then fell into a personal union under France in like 1480 or something.

:lol: New game. :lol:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Easy, attack one of France's allies and force France to dissolve their alliance with Austria, or vice-versa.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yeah. I started an OP republic in Italy and I am trying to bait Austria, who rivaled me, into a situation where I can rekt them. Being quite hard to do that.

France decided to be friendly to be for no reason and wants to ally me. Well, best to do that

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay, haven't played in since CoP. Just picked up all the Dec except the very last one. What would be a fun start?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Zotix posted:

Okay, haven't played in since CoP. Just picked up all the Dec except the very last one. What would be a fun start?

What kind of game are you looking for? Easy, hard? Europe, not europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Brandenburg.

• Locked thread