Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The rebound clothesline would be a lot easier for me to accept if Kyle O'Reilly didn't already do the same move like a billion times better

And also actually fall out of the ring that way sometimes so it doesn't immediately telegraph the spot like Dean does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I think if Dean didn't have Shane McMahon level striking then I might like him better.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That DICK! posted:

Honestly I can't see Hogan coming back for years still, if ever. He's still years away from a good portion of the audience, particularly in the minority demographics WWE really wants, not booing the poo poo out of him as loudly as they fuckin can to ruin any segment he's in. People have drowned Roman in boos for 2 years for less

And honestly I say "if ever" because I can see Hogan finding a way to kill himself with his newfound piles of cash in the next few years.

Until now, I thought the Ted Cruz Sex Scandal was the Thing I Needed to Happen More Than Anything. Now, I need Hogan to be barred by a security guard after he sees the "do not admit" poster with three Hogan pictures, one of them from a video game, and a Shirtless and Coifed Big Poppa Pump walks past him with ladies on each arm

WWE has an award named after The Ultimate Warrior. Hogan will be back someday.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Davros1 posted:

WWE has an award named after The Ultimate Warrior. Hogan will be back someday.

And Moolah is in the hall of fame for her charitable work in the field of women's extracurricular activities. Although the histories of Moolah and Ultimate Warrior probably aren't common knowledge to shareholders and kids, unlike HH.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThePariah posted:

As far as singles matches go, the Triple H match mentioned above is probably his best one. His Lumberjack match against Seth at Summerslam 2014 was also really good for a match type that usually isn't all that good. Most of his best matches were as part of The Shield, Dean has suffered from bad booking for most of his singles run. He's the weakest of the three Shield members in the ring, but he can put on good matches with the right opponents.

Excuse me?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Grozz Nuy posted:

The rebound clothesline

Actually, it's The Wacky Line.

Alain Post posted:

the rebound clothesline

MrBling posted:

"rebound off the middle rope into a jumping lariat"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

Actually, it's Nigel McGuinness's Jawbreaker Lariat. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I guess you could make the argument he's better than Rollins since he's on the shelf and can't wrestle.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
yeah, ambrose is way the gently caress better in the character/personality department than reigns, but in sheer ring work I'd give roman the edge. I'd rather watch a dean match though any day

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The Shield consisted of The New Shawn Michaels, The New Mick Foley, and a trash can full of vomit with the word NEPOTISM written on it. That's what the Shield were.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Seth Rollins is super good & also cute and he's the person I want to return the most right now.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Lady Naga posted:

Seth Rollins is super good & also cute and he's the person I want to return the most right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0xkSpGINY

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

:3: Seth's Best and I am going to mark like crazy once he gets to do insane flippy stuff again.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Seth is one of the best workers in the world, Roman is very good, Dean is somewhere in between. Hope you all enjoyed my take on this burning issue.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Grozz Nuy posted:

The rebound clothesline would be a lot easier for me to accept if Kyle O'Reilly didn't already do the same move like a billion times better

And also actually fall out of the ring that way sometimes so it doesn't immediately telegraph the spot like Dean does

Judging other wrestlers based on Kyle O'Reilly is very unfair

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If we used KOR as the standard, every other wrestler on earth would be impossibly good-looking. Even Bull Dempsey (especially Bull Dempsey)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
smh at you drat Romaniacs.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Basic Chunnel posted:

If we used KOR as the standard, every other wrestler on earth would be impossibly good-looking. Even Bull Dempsey (especially Bull Dempsey)

Awww, he's not that bad. Now if you wanted to make fun of his promos, that would be a different story.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Gonzo McFee posted:

smh at you drat Romaniacs.

Not Romantics? Or is that reserved for fans of the Romantic Touch?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

Not Romantics? Or is that reserved for fans of the Romantic Touch?

Roman doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath of Adam Ant.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

astrollinthepork posted:

I love Dean Ambrose super bad, but my only exposure to him has been through promos since I never watch wrestling anymore. What are the best Ambrose matches? I assume his psychology is top notch, but how about technical ability?

The Lumberjack and Hell in a Cell matches with Rollins were both great, although the finishes aren't good. Everything up until then is great though!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The most interesting part of the Cell match, to me, was seeing what a modern, Concussion Era Cell bump looked like, where you fall through a cleared table from a platform/foothold like seven feet up. I'm not complaining, I'm no CZW "bleed for my amusement" guy, but it was just interesting.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

astrollinthepork posted:

I love Dean Ambrose super bad, but my only exposure to him has been through promos since I never watch wrestling anymore. What are the best Ambrose matches? I assume his psychology is top notch, but how about technical ability?

Dean's done some very good work on the main roster but he has yet to top his match with Regal in FCW for me. But I'm obviously a huge Regal mark.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
To be fair the Ambrose/Regal FCW feud is hard to top anyway.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21ir39_2011-11-06_sport

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 27, 2016

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

MrBling posted:

Dean Ambrose made me not want to watch his matches any more, because he has to do that loving "rebound off the middle rope into a jumping lariat" move ten times.

First time he can usually make it look ok, but it looks more and more forced especially because he tends to not hit the ropes cleanly or with enough force.

I know complaining about repetition in WWE matches is a bit stupid, but that particular move just pisses me off.

I'm with you on this... it just looks poo poo now.... It should only come out every now and then...not every drat time.... I know it's a signature spot but urgh....

Having said that though.... Kofi needs to bring back that crazy rebound off the ropes with his shoulders move he did when he first debuted!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Before signing with WWE Dean's big claim to fame was working hardcore garbage brawls, so yeah, he's never had the most technical style. But he makes up for it with charisma and an ability to connect with crowds, two things Roman is still looking for.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

The Shield consisted of The New Shawn Michaels, The New Mick Foley, and a trash can full of vomit with the word NEPOTISM written on it. That's what the Shield were.

I love how people actually think Roman is a case of nepotism and ignore that he's a big, athletic, good looking guy with a football background, the exact guy wrestling promoters LOVE, Vince in particular. But no, it's clearly nepotism... a thing that has helped dozens of FCW alums become jobbers and midcard fodder.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I love how people actually think Roman is a case of nepotism and ignore that he's a big, athletic, good looking guy with a football background, the exact guy wrestling promoters LOVE, Vince in particular. But no, it's clearly nepotism... a thing that has helped dozens of FCW alums become jobbers and midcard fodder.

Agreed. Roman's problem is that Vince is stuck in the mindset that looks are what gets over when that not been true since... has it EVER been true? All the biggest stars in the US I can think of got over on a combo of good in-ring work, mic work and sheer charisma. Even in WWF. Hogan was as much Terry Bollea being the larger than life cartoon superman as it was the 24-inch pythons brother. Austin, Rock, Foley, Flair, Dusty, all personality more than looks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Roman doesn't even look that good. He's no Lex Luger that's for sure

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lex Luger owned though

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Agreed. Roman's problem is that Vince is stuck in the mindset that looks are what gets over when that not been true since... has it EVER been true? All the biggest stars in the US I can think of got over on a combo of good in-ring work, mic work and sheer charisma. Even in WWF. Hogan was as much Terry Bollea being the larger than life cartoon superman as it was the 24-inch pythons brother. Austin, Rock, Foley, Flair, Dusty, all personality more than looks.

Look used to be a big, big thing. Hogan's look was a major factor in his rise. Hogan was mainly look and charisma, Rock's look wasn't as big of a deal but it sure helped him. The Road Warriors mainly got over on physique and never selling and were some of the biggest draws of the 80s. There's all sorts of big men it applies to... especially in the 80s. It sure helped the Von Erichs. You can go back to the 50s and the All American, clean cut, good looking babyface was what helped Gagne become the biggest babyface draw in the US.

It means very little now, obviously although it helps guys like Roman and Cena draw in females.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Alain Post posted:

Lex Luger owned though

You drat right he did.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The fact he gets booed constantly while being hand picked and superpushed is a lot closer to nepotism than being a pro graps success, though it's more stubbornness

Shane is actual nepotism

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The fact he gets booed constantly while being hand picked and superpushed is a lot closer to nepotism than being a pro graps success, though it's more stubbornness

Shane is actual nepotism

I wouldn't even call Shane entirely nepotism, though it did help, obviously.

Shane earned his place through being a reckless son of a bitch and taking giant bumps. That said, obviously there's a reason why he's being called in instead of, say, Tommy Dreamer Blue Meanie.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Go RV! posted:

I wouldn't even call Shane entirely nepotism, though it did help, obviously.

Shane earned his place through being a reckless son of a bitch and taking giant bumps. That said, obviously there's a reason why he's being called in instead of, say, Tommy Dreamer Blue Meanie.

:laffo: ok there buddy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HHH is nepotism

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the rock was nepotism, his dad is Rocky Johnson for god's sake!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do bars show Mania? I've got the network so I could watch at home but I'd like to watch somewhere loud and drunky if possible. But all I know of that's definitely showing it is this huge sports bar/OTB that's the most miserable place on earth. Any suggestions on how I'd even find somewhere?

Also is there a thread for WWE2k16 here or in Games or something? Any chance of one surviving if not?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Also is there a thread for WWE2k16 here or in Games or something? Any chance of one surviving if not?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656807

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If you asked me in a vacuum to describe what a professional wrestler looks like, I would describe Lex Luger exactly