Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

sanctuary and noobmares channels are both active for grouping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So i love this games atmosphere and ambition and everything about it so far has been fun.
But i havent been able to finish my singe player run through becaue of work about 4 months back.

How long before the end of days and the servers are put down? :ohdear:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Sentinel posted:

So i love this games atmosphere and ambition and everything about it so far has been fun.
But i havent been able to finish my singe player run through becaue of work about 4 months back.

It looks like you've got until 2019 or so before their debts come due. Better get a move on.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Oh nice, looks like the new transdimensional bank thing shows up for everyone when you pop it.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Sentinel posted:

Funcom did manage to get their financial troubles into some sort of working order. I don't care to understand the economics behind their troubles and their solution, but the solution was good news and their investors were happy, or something? So I don't think TSW will die early due to Funcom having serious money issues. The Park met their internal sales marks, and they have long term plans to release more games like it (they mention making smaller games using their IPs, this could be more small Conan games and not the Klein simulator I so desperately want). TSW itself doesn't appear to be in maintenance mode, the game is still getting new content; however, they do have a new game in production which is their focus for 2016, their open world survival game, Conan Exiles. It could also be worth noting that TSW is not offering life time subscriptions any longer, but will still honor any that were already purchased.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I did the bad thing. I rerolled.

I hadn't played in months and couldn't remember the story for the life of me so I started a templar. gently caress, I forgot how much I loved the atmosphere and voice acting.

Playing elemental/blood and I love it. Anyone know if it's possible to make a build with lightning skills work as well as fire?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
did i gently caress up severely or something by not repeatedly grinding side missions and just finishing straight through the main missions by bruteforcing it?
the library book pudge dude is almost impossible to kill and i get two shot

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

did i gently caress up severely or something by not repeatedly grinding side missions and just finishing straight through the main missions by bruteforcing it?

Basically if you run into roadblocks like that implies you hosed up somewhere, yes :v:

But seriously, you're not going to get enough XP burning through the main missions only, and you probably want to be in the QL3 (main weapon and talisman skills) range before you move on to the Savage Coast story, better 4-5 to do all the story stuff there. You might be able to beat the encounter, but it really depends on your skills/equipment and your build.

You don't have to "grind" side missions though, you should want to play them because many of them are good fun, and run Polaris.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 26, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
If you don't want to play virtually every single mission at least once I don't know what's wrong with you. Granted, there are some that are supremely annoying but for the most part they're pretty good and flesh out the main story even more.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

TSW is essentially a single player game that you play for the story. Playing it with the WoW mindset isn't going to be a very fun experience.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Biowarfare posted:

If this is where I think it is, in Kingsmouth or the Savage Coast, he walks a circuit of the area and has a serious case of tunnel vision. Try hiding somewhere until he wanders past your target, and interacting once he's blundered off behind a corner.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm bored and have owned this game since release but only played it once; was extremely overwhelmed. BUT I wanna jump in and try it again since I have free time. Any goons still play? I just like to have a chat room to screw around in not looking to run instances or anything (since i'll probably just quit) :shrug:

That said I only own the base game; should I buy any of the DLC packs before jumping in?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
See if you actually like the game first. That said all the DLC except issue 8 are good and expand on lots of stuff in cool and interesting ways. Also you really should do the instances, they're pretty cool and don't take very long to complete. Don't think there is any kind of organized goon presence but there are a few recommended channels either on this page or the last to hook up with people in and most of the ones you meet will be okay and probably willing to help you.

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
I quit this game a few years ago due to mission in Bee sieged Farmlands where you had to play as Deathless. Could not kill them fast enough while surviving with given abilities. For some reason I felt an urge to play it recently. After equipping some talismans that gave me health, and improved UI I got that mission done.

My problem now is I am in Bee sieged, and I can Anima Leap which is awesome, and it appears mission starting items and NPC are now clearly marked on the map, which I do not believe was the case before. Unfortunately I seem to be a bit fuzzy on the story.

Also I am in Blue Q9-10 gear, and while I can kill things, combat does take a bit, and I feel that I am very fragile. I am using AR/Ele with Safety Off and Extra Bullet, Blaze, Aidalon, Bloodsport and Pistol passive that increases crit rate (seal the deal?)

I am considering going back to Egypt and doing Cairo issue, but I also saw a comment saying I need to do it after Transylvania. Is it for story reason, or something else?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Xenaul posted:

I quit this game a few years ago due to mission in Bee sieged Farmlands where you had to play as Deathless. Could not kill them fast enough while surviving with given abilities. For some reason I felt an urge to play it recently. After equipping some talismans that gave me health, and improved UI I got that mission done.

My problem now is I am in Bee sieged, and I can Anima Leap which is awesome, and it appears mission starting items and NPC are now clearly marked on the map, which I do not believe was the case before. Unfortunately I seem to be a bit fuzzy on the story.

Also I am in Blue Q9-10 gear, and while I can kill things, combat does take a bit, and I feel that I am very fragile. I am using AR/Ele with Safety Off and Extra Bullet, Blaze, Aidalon, Bloodsport and Pistol passive that increases crit rate (seal the deal?)

I am considering going back to Egypt and doing Cairo issue, but I also saw a comment saying I need to do it after Transylvania. Is it for story reason, or something else?

I can't comment on builds anymore, been awhile since I played. Not sure what the current meta is.

As far as going back and doing the Cairo DLC, people recommend waiting until you hit Transylvania for the gear upgrades. So if you are already in QL 9-10 blue gear, you should be alright to do the mission. The DLC stories were all targeted at players who had QL 10 green gear.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Xenaul posted:

Bee-ing fuzzy on the story is common. See https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?81945-Everything for a solid spoiler on what's going on in each zone.

Soloing in anything but a non-solo friendly build is going to be difficult. AR/Ele with Safety-Off/Blaze is great for single-target damage, but you're going to be very fragile. If you're dead set on staying with AR, you can use suppressing fire (a frenzy TAOE) with Leeching Frenzy (makes abilities leech after you use a Frenzy) to really help out with that. However, if you want to make killing things a lot smoother and faster, it's wise to invest AP into a solo build. There are some great ones on tswdb.com. I recommend Blade/anything, with Blade Torrent, Clearing the Path, and Martial Discipline. My solo scenario deck is Blade/AR and it works pretty well.

The issues are "meant" to be done after you finish the main storyline. No reason you can't go and do the Cairo issue, though. Eventually it's great to do all of the issues, since you get a nice set of 10.1 purple talismans from them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HughGRect posted:

I can't comment on builds anymore, been awhile since I played. Not sure what the current meta is.

As far as going back and doing the Cairo DLC, people recommend waiting until you hit Transylvania for the gear upgrades. So if you are already in QL 9-10 blue gear, you should be alright to do the mission. The DLC stories were all targeted at players who had QL 10 green gear.

I did all the DLC before I was in QL 10 gear. Only the first one was hard but you only have to fight one thing at a time.

You will need a tanky build to do it though.

Also someone in this thread made a cool build that worked good! I bet it still works.

HughGRect posted:

I made a magical snow flake build that I was running when doing solo content that was about as lazy as poo poo and let me hit 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 over and over. It strayed away from the builder/consumer mind set a little, but I had a ton of success with it. Others mileage will most likely vary. Anyways, here is an adaption of my build that a non ql-10.5.5 without a Karma Curio can use.

Blade / Fist Focus Build
ACTIVES - The Bread
Chop Shop - AoE mob cutter-downer
Dancing Blade - Solo mob cutter-downer
Berserk - Resource Dump for secondary weapon
Surgical Steel - Self heal to avoid repair bills while leashing mobs
Cauterise - Super self heal to use while leashing mobs
Blade Torrent - Builds a resource if you lose your focus attack.
Elite - Master's House

PASSIVES - The Butter
Finish the Movement - Makes the build work, when you finish channeling a focus ability you gain a resource for your primary (the one that is out) weapon.
Vital Fluids - 10% chance to gain a resource when you apply an afflict.
Invasive Measures - 10% chance to gain a resource when you hit a weakened target.
Blood Sport - Constant afflict that is always being reapplied to synergise with Vital Fluid.
Breakdown - Applies weakened (exposed) to synergise with Invasive Measures.
Ready for More - Self Cleanse when you finish channeling a focus, good for Transylvania status effects.
Elite Seal the Deal - More damage; but this is also a flex passive.

Here was my original theory: If I spin with Chop Shop for 2.5 seconds getting 5 chances for each proc against each mob, I should be able to get at 1 more resource for the next spin. What really happened was I was getting 3-5 resources against 2-3 mobs and melting everything. I had a lot of success with this build in solo and duo scenarios as well. This build can be very flexible while the core remaining the same.

I haven't tested this build in Tokyo yet, but it should be able to handle that content with some minor changes as well.

I used this from like egypt all the way to near the end of transylvania when I quit. It was really good for soloing.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 10, 2016

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I bought this when it was on sale and it's been reasonably fun but oh boy is the dialogue and voice acting atrocious. I also cannot take the Dragon faction the least bit seriously after the tutorial cutscenes. Does the acting/story improve or is it constantly going to be the same level of cheese as Kingsmouth?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Stunt Rock posted:

I bought this when it was on sale and it's been reasonably fun but oh boy is the dialogue and voice acting atrocious. I also cannot take the Dragon faction the least bit seriously after the tutorial cutscenes. Does the acting/story improve or is it constantly going to be the same level of cheese as Kingsmouth?

This has to be either blatant trolling, you having lovely taste, or you really haven't played that many games. TSW's voice acting is among the best I've ever heard- possibly the best. Granted, I haven't played Dragon, so maybe that's particularly bad, but Kingsmouth? It's you. Check out Neverwinter if you want to witness truly bad voice acting.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Brave New World posted:

This has to be either blatant trolling, you having lovely taste, or you really haven't played that many games. TSW's voice acting is among the best I've ever heard- possibly the best. Granted, I haven't played Dragon, so maybe that's particularly bad, but Kingsmouth? It's you. Check out Neverwinter if you want to witness truly bad voice acting.

Trolls are known for weaving praise in with minor criticism and that's obviously what I was doing. I certainly couldn't legitimately find the voice acting in Kingsmouth to be grating and reminiscent of Julianne Moore's famously terrible accent on 30 Rock.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Don't play one of those inferior factions without Kirsten Geary. I just solved your thing for you.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Dragon are fine but, like the Malk in VTM: Bloodline, you want to play them after you've played as someone else first.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Stunt Rock posted:

Trolls are known for weaving praise in with minor criticism and that's obviously what I was doing. I certainly couldn't legitimately find the voice acting in Kingsmouth to be grating and reminiscent of Julianne Moore's famously terrible accent on 30 Rock.

I know I gave you a super strong response, but I'm kind of at a loss nonetheless. Are you by chance a non-American that's never heard any of the New England regional accents before? They can be quite jarring even to people from other parts of the US.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
As someone who lives in Massachusetts all the accents in Kingsmouth felt pretty accurate

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

flatluigi posted:

As someone who lives in Massachusetts all the accents in Kingsmouth felt pretty accurate

Weird. They sound so put on to me. That being said, I already like Illuminati way better than Dragon. No mystical flashback blowjobs is a huge improvement in the story.

Maybe that silliness just started me out on a sour note.

Still enjoying it on the balance though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Dragon has the best premise but the worst execution flavor-wise and Illuminati is great on both fronts. Templar's boring.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Stunt Rock posted:

Weird. They sound so put on to me.

My wife is from Massachusetts. It's sounds put on to me from everyone who lives up there.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

Dragon has the best premise but the worst execution flavor-wise and Illuminati is great on both fronts. Templar's boring.

Sonnac is good and Templars have great missions, fight me :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like and enjoy all of the factions for different reasons, even if I do agree Illuminati are probably the most entertaining.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Brave New World posted:

I know I gave you a super strong response, but I'm kind of at a loss nonetheless. Are you by chance a non-American that's never heard any of the New England regional accents before? They can be quite jarring even to people from other parts of the US.

The extent of my hearing New England regional accents is from Stephen King films, so I've never paid much mind to the game's handling of the accents. But then while I think the game's trying to nudge me out of Kingsmouth, I keep finding more reasons to just run up and down the streets shooting zombies and draugs. As far as playing each of the factions, I still have the most fun on my Illuminati who I keep playing even though I keep meaning to go back to the other two. I've done the starter/tutorial HQ stuff on the others and felt they really did a good job on setting the tone.

Still was a bit surprised at my Dragon guy getting a hummer in his "Welcome to the Club" starter.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

So I've been following the builds on TSWDB and in particular was running this Ele/Hammer build because I wanted my guy to run around zapping things and hitting them with a hammer like Thor. I haven't even left Kingsmouth and I've gotten all the AP necessary to fulfill that particular build so... what do I do with the rest of the points? Branch out into other weapons, or go further into my primary and secondary weapon trees to replace the builders/consumers with more expensive versions?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

My Man Shran posted:

Don't play one of those inferior factions without Kirsten Geary. I just solved your thing for you.

Factions don't matter because everyone gets to run the quests with Jeffrey Combs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Stunt Rock posted:

So I've been following the builds on TSWDB and in particular was running this Ele/Hammer build because I wanted my guy to run around zapping things and hitting them with a hammer like Thor. I haven't even left Kingsmouth and I've gotten all the AP necessary to fulfill that particular build so... what do I do with the rest of the points? Branch out into other weapons, or go further into my primary and secondary weapon trees to replace the builders/consumers with more expensive versions?

Yes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Stunt Rock posted:

If you want a goal, fill out the inner ring of skills first. This lets you mess around with any build and they cost alot less than the outer ring.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
In particular, you'll want to look into using some of the passive skills from the other weapons. You can use a passive even if you're not using the weapon it's associated with.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I know I have to be screwing up somewhere but not sure where. I've been trying to craft some healing consumables and no matter what materials I use, it doesn't light up the assemble button. I make sure all the materials are the same, have them in the consumable shape with a consumable tool kit loaded in and nothing. I was able to do the little crafting tutorial and disassembling works fine. I've tried different consumable kit levels and still no joy. Anyone have any ideas where I'm screwing up?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Crafting consumables in the first place unless it's level 3 leech potions. Or maybe 4. Whichever the highest one you can still make with the cheapest materials is. Anyway you don't build shapes with consumables you just dump your poo poo in there in one stack and push the button.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

I know I have to be screwing up somewhere but not sure where. I've been trying to craft some healing consumables and no matter what materials I use, it doesn't light up the assemble button. I make sure all the materials are the same, have them in the consumable shape with a consumable tool kit loaded in and nothing. I was able to do the little crafting tutorial and disassembling works fine. I've tried different consumable kit levels and still no joy. Anyone have any ideas where I'm screwing up?

If you are comfortable using mods, use this one, and never worry about crafting again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Went looking at the TSW item store again today after seeing Issue 14 released. I'm not surprised to see that there's four new ear pieces that noone will see. Also I have 450 veteran points and there's still literally nothing worth getting.

Edit: Spent 100 points buying pets I'll never use and that stop giving neat bonuses after 3mil xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Len posted:

Went looking at the TSW item store again today after seeing Issue 14 released. I'm not surprised to see that there's four new ear pieces that noone will see. Also I have 450 veteran points and there's still literally nothing worth getting.

Edit: Spent 100 points buying pets I'll never use and that stop giving neat bonuses after 3mil xp.

Ohhh how is Issue 14? Is it more story based? Ill have to hop back into TSW

• Locked thread