Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Honestly the only part of Terraria I think that sucks is the player sprites, and at least with those you can load up on gaudy stupid clothing items and cover yourself in glowing rainbow paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yeah, but how many colors of dirt does Terraria have? Six? None? :colbert:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

terraria has aspects that suck but it's actually a complete game and had way more free updates than anyone ever anticipated that added a fuckton to the game.

The biggest difference between Terraria and Starbound, for me, is that I do not regret paying for Terraria.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Rhopunzel posted:

On top of that were the people Tiy just found excuses to add to the dev chat, usually random girls. They'd hang around and then usually leave because of circumstances I'm not permitted to talk about, but it was additional white noise and another opinion I had to deal with when pitching something.

lmao don't diss me like this behind my back, dawg

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
is it a co-incidence terraria started getting a lot better a lot quicker once tiy pranced off to starboned?

also Rho your pixel skills are super tight and it sucks that the years working with tiy wore down your self-confidence

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

nightwisher posted:

is it a co-incidence terraria started getting a lot better a lot quicker once tiy pranced off to starboned?

also Rho your pixel skills are super tight and it sucks that the years working with tiy wore down your self-confidence

Yeah, pretty sure that's just a coincidence because Tiy was just an art guy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Terraria would be one of my favorite games if the Hard Mode was balanced for single person better or at all

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nightwisher posted:

it's a correlation != causation clause because tiy left around the same time that blue was fired for shoving his lovely broody high schooler-level poetry down the throats of terraria's followers, which was the actual cause of terraria getting a lot better a lot quicker

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's almost like stupid people who take their "vision" too seriously instead of putting effort into making a good game, make bad games. Wow and this has only repeated itself, like, infinity times. You'd think they'd learn like WOPR learned at the end of War Games.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

It's almost like stupid people who take their "vision" too seriously instead of putting effort into making a good game, make bad games. Wow and this has only repeated itself, like, infinity times. You'd think they'd learn like WOPR learned at the end of War Games.

The only winning move is not to play Starbound

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Party Plane Jones posted:

The only winning move is not to play Starbound

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
My brother likes to give my dog food that makes him fart alot, especially before i go to bed (Dog sleeps in same room with me)

the disgust i hold within me during this is similar but not on level as when im playing Starbound

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pochoclo posted:

See, you say this, and we all agree.

Meanwhile, Starbound made a fuckton of money.

It's like saying "Man, why do the Black eyed Peas exist? Jesus christ, they're terrible". And yet, they do great business, despite that.

:negative:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

See, you say this, and we all agree.

Meanwhile, Starbound made a fuckton of money.

It's like saying "Man, why do the Black eyed Peas exist? Jesus christ, they're terrible". And yet, they do great business, despite that.

:negative:

It isn't a measure of success. In my opinion the only reason Starbound sold was on Terraria's merit, and Tiy's salesmanship. It was scary how gullible people were and how quickly they'd run with anything we said. I don't remember one person, if any, who expressed doubt or caution about the ridiculous things being promised on our behalf like ~thick and fast updates~ and namedropping every game ever while describing its gameplay. Most people thought we were an official sequel to Terraria and that Tiy was doing all of the art (feels great having someone else credited for your art btw).

I wasn't under any illusion when I met Tiy, his links to Terraria meant whatever we made, it was going to make a ton of money because of its association with Terraria.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like anyone who disagreed or dissented was shouted down once the pre-order frenzy had reached the fever pitch the earlier threads had, and then just didn't bother until the curtain was pulled away. There is something uniquely stimulating when it comes to pre-orders/kickstarters that turns people into a whirlwind of gibbering yes-men.

Sucks about your art though. Even worse than the usual.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Tyi sold it well and absolutely rode the coattails of Terraria. Since I bought the game, even I fell for that poo poo to an extent even though I never thought it was going to be everything they said it would.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well that and there is that subset of people who unironically adore things like the Farming changes, and ask how to make farming even harder.

A lot of us are :saddowns: because we were looking forward to a gameplay exprerience that could be considered enjoyable by average viddy game standards. But at the end of the day there are plenty of people who think every single hurdle and slog change from slow backwards walking to removing air dash and so on are the Best Ideas Ever. Because they mistake any form of difficulty as "challenger, therefore im pro gamer" and just tell people "Maybe this game isn't for you?" when people try to bring up constructive critisism on how to make the game enjoyable for those who may consider a swift punch to the groin being preferable to whatever change is made at any given time.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Section Z posted:

Well that and there is that subset of people who unironically adore things like the Farming changes, and ask how to make farming even harder.

A lot of us are :saddowns: because we were looking forward to a gameplay exprerience that could be considered enjoyable by average viddy game standards. But at the end of the day there are plenty of people who think every single hurdle and slog change from slow backwards walking to removing air dash and so on are the Best Ideas Ever. Because they mistake any form of difficulty as "challenger, therefore im pro gamer" and just tell people "Maybe this game isn't for you?" when people try to bring up constructive critisism on how to make the game enjoyable for those who may consider a swift punch to the groin being preferable to whatever change is made at any given time.

I'll word this carefully but while I was there I felt the design was going in a direction that wasn't really appropriate for a sandbox game. The demographic I assumed we'd be attracting were people who just wanted to space out and play with their friends, not people looking for Dark Souls or Symphony of the Night and I didn't think excessive difficulty was relevant for that. As a designer I don't like games that tell you how you should have fun, and Starbound was basically that. If there's any point in the game where you're frustrated because the path to achieving what you want seems arbitrary or needlessly difficult, it's most likely because someone made the decision for you on what you should think is fun. I was of the opinion that we should give players options on how to approach their goals, or even better allow them to customise their experience to tailor it better to their taste. RimWorld's a perfect example of that done right, but the prevailing opinion was that we couldn't trust players to turn everything on easy so they could complete the game, because everyone loves to play easy games.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The Dark Souls of Space Exploration Sandbox

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

I'll word this carefully but while I was there I felt the design was going in a direction that wasn't really appropriate for a sandbox game. The demographic I assumed we'd be attracting were people who just wanted to space out and play with their friends, not people looking for Dark Souls or Symphony of the Night and I didn't think excessive difficulty was relevant for that. As a designer I don't like games that tell you how you should have fun, and Starbound was basically that. If there's any point in the game where you're frustrated because the path to achieving what you want seems arbitrary or needlessly difficult, it's most likely because someone made the decision for you on what you should think is fun. I was of the opinion that we should give players options on how to approach their goals, or even better allow them to customise their experience to tailor it better to their taste. RimWorld's a perfect example of that done right, but the prevailing opinion was that we couldn't trust players to turn everything on easy so they could complete the game, because everyone loves to play easy games.

It really doesn't help that randomization in the way it's used in Starbound simply isn't conductive to fun, challenging gameplay. Randomized worlds that are meant to be challenging tend to be the domain of roguelikes and their ilk, and they usually do it far better than Starbound. Take Spelunky for example is a fast paced action game with randomized levels, and it's a fun, challenging game where every death I have is because I rushed too much, or wasn't paying attention. Unlike Starbound, the enemies are actually designed and don't have any ridiculous design goals specifying how much of your loving energy bar you're meant to exhaust before they die.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is sort of minor, but on this topic I was always annoyed by how you couldn't turn off pixel loss on death. It's an unnecessary punishment that's there because you "should" get punished for losing, but besides being part of that kind of mindset, all that does is make it harder for people who aren't doing well.

Like, take two hypothetical players; one dies, the other does not. Now the first one is missing resources, and the game is harder for them. They're now more likely to die again, less likely to be able to get what they want, and less likely to have fun. It only affects the game by making it harder the worse the players are, when generally those players are those who need, or want, that the least.

Now, pixels aren't major in Starbound, so again, this is relatively minor, but it still irked me, and it seems relevant to the current discussion. And it was immensely frustrating in the lategame.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 28, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

This is sort of minor, but on this topic I was always annoyed by how you couldn't turn off pixel loss on death. It's an unnecessary punishment that's there because you "should" get punished for losing, but besides being part of that kind of mindset, all that does is make it harder for people who aren't doing well.

Like, take two hypothetical players; one dies, the other does not. Now the first one is missing resources, and the game is harder for them. They're now more likely to die again, less likely to be able to get what they want, and less likely to have fun. It only affects the game by making it harder the worse the players are, when generally those players are those who need, or want, that the least.

Now, pixels aren't major in Starbound, so again, this is relatively minor, but it still irked me, and it seems relevant to the current discussion. And it was immensely frustrating in the lategame.

While i agree with you, the pixel loss is completely unneeded, im more happy at the fact that you can teleport to your ship at any time and not need those retarded 1 use pads that cost a fortune. Tiy's need to punish players is kinda creepy.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

All the changes to starbound's difficulty remind me of someone dumping "hardcore" and "realistic" mods into fallout 3 where it just shoves a bunch of "if you dont do X every few minutes you'll die". I don't mean that as an insult to the programming quality, just as if someone said "this game is incredibly easy since i know how to exploit its mechanics, how can i make it still challenging?"

Rhopunzel posted:

the prevailing opinion was that we couldn't trust players to turn everything on easy so they could complete the game, because everyone loves to play easy games.

I don't know how this view even exists these days when minecraft got successful from a complete difficulty-less creative mode, especially in a game with so much furniture and emphasis on similar style systems decorating your spaceships and home planet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

grimcreaper posted:

Tiy's need to punish players is kinda creepy.

Buying Starbound was punishment enough

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tengames posted:

All the changes to starbound's difficulty remind me of someone dumping "hardcore" and "realistic" mods into fallout 3 where it just shoves a bunch of "if you dont do X every few minutes you'll die". I don't mean that as an insult to the programming quality, just as if someone said "this game is incredibly easy since i know how to exploit its mechanics, how can i make it still challenging?"

I don't know how this view even exists these days when minecraft got successful from a complete difficulty-less creative mode, especially in a game with so much furniture and emphasis on similar style systems decorating your spaceships and home planet.

Wanting your sandbox to have difficult gameplay is stupid as gently caress. It's like if you were playing in an actual sandbox, except the guy who made it hired some bullies to come along and kick down your sandcastle down now and again because gently caress YOU.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, Terraria has difficult bosses and events. it's not a bad game though

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Starbound: $15 Stockholm Syndrome Simulator

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IronicDongz posted:

Well, Terraria has difficult bosses and events. it's not a bad game though

those are separate things you choose to engage in on your own terms, unlike the normal gameplay. starbound doesn't really give you the opportunity for that

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah. A boss loving up your day isn't nearly the same.

A fresh spawned terraria character with wooden equipment is basically an Olympic god by comparison to the front half of Starbound except for their inability to swim or have a free flashlight by default. (Well okay, and having to click every single loving time they swing a sword).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wait, did they really try to compare this game to Symphony of the Night?

Symphony of the Night was an incredibly easy game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tallgeese posted:

Wait, did they really try to compare this game to Symphony of the Night?

Symphony of the Night was an incredibly easy game.

Maybe they are just picking out the parts they had trouble with.

Patch Notes - All food is now tossed into the air vertically, and must be eaten by catching it holding still and pressing up. Just like Peanuts in SOTN, so it must be good.

Bug Fix: Removed erroneous healing from Dark Metamorphosis. Only enemies with compatible blood type will heal you.
Compatible bloodtypes for NPCs to be added later.
Dark Metamorphosis not healing Novakids is working as intended (They don't have blood, duh).

Hotfix: Player comments to patch notes reminded us that the Glitch do not have blood either. Thanks for helping us catching that guys.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 28, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Removed backdash ability, replaced it with slower backwards movement.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

Maybe they are just picking out the parts they had trouble with.

Patch Notes - All food is now tossed into the air vertically, and must be eaten by catching it holding still and pressing up. Just like Peanuts in SOTN, so it must be good.

Bug Fix: Removed erroneous healing from Dark Metamorphosis. Only enemies with compatible blood type will heal you.
Compatible bloodtypes for NPCs to be added later.
Dark Metamorphosis not healing Novakids is working as intended (They don't have blood, duh).

Hotfix: Player comments to patch notes reminded us that the Glitch do not have blood either. Thanks for helping us catching that guys.

Update version 2.7 Notes:
---------------
- Once the game is beaten, all planets become 'inverted' and will be upside down. All of them. All. Of. Them.
- Hookshot required to access, as beaming down immediately causes you to fall away from the ground.

Hotfix (feature?):
- Hookshot now requires a secret ingredient. Play to find out what!

Features:
- Added in the ability to finish Starbound to 200.6% completion

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Just a quick hotfix here guys, we added in an item you have to mine out of the core of planets in order to access the dev console or admin mode

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hotfix: removed good, added bad

E: Hotfix 2: Added more poop

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Added: Link for stuffed penguins on Kickstarter with 40,000$ goal.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Just a quick hotfix here guys, we added in an item you have to mine out of the core of planets in order to access the dev console or admin mode

I'm beyond surprised that they've kept either of those things accessible in the base game (assuming they can be taken out or blocked, I don't know anything about gamemaking)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If you're not immediately going into the console, admin-ing yourself, upgrading your MM and making it so your ship can actually fly somewhere, then I don't know what to tell you, other than :psyduck:

We really need :tiyduck: for being perplexed by Starbound dev decisions making no sense.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you're not immediately going into the console, admin-ing yourself, upgrading your MM and making it so your ship can actually fly somewhere, then I don't know what to tell you, other than :psyduck:

We really need :tiyduck: for being perplexed by Starbound dev decisions making no sense.

lol tiyduck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

flesh dance posted:

I'm beyond surprised that they've kept either of those things accessible in the base game (assuming they can be taken out or blocked, I don't know anything about gamemaking)

Most likely reason is it wouldn't be convenient for them to have to use a special developer build to have access to their cheatmodes when making .gifs to show how cool easy and balanced latest combat change is.

• Locked thread