Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
Oh they declared. They just lost.

First the Russians came and then the Italians, then the British. The United Kingdom was horrified at the monster they (somewhat) helped create and broke their alliance immediately. Russia and Italy were desperate to contain the beast which was forming on their border. After all, I just took east switzerland and Franche-Comte. The coalition struck in late 1950. Within a year the Italians and the Russians surrendered, the British unable to gain a foothold in German land. I mobilized the people of the Empire but there was no need, my armed forces were sufficient.

They will be back with a vengeance, and I will fight them off again. Germany is an armed camp, and soon enough I force the communists to come to power and a people's revolution will take hold. In the 19th and 20th centuries, there is only war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Paradox Grand Strategy: In The Grim Darkness of the 2nd Millenium There Is Only War

Honestly that's a pretty good introduction to a history book, too.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

Unfortunately it lacks Schleswig because I forgot about it and just ended up sphering Denmark.

Restart.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

After lots of trial and error I've managed to form Super Germany in Vicky 2 by June 10th 1845.

Unfortunately it lacks Schleswig because I forgot about it and just ended up sphering Denmark. I think I could do it quicker, the United Kingdom got itself tied up in a war with Russia and France for Western Canada and so they had a truce with them until 1844. I shouldn't have pussied out and just went to war with France immediately myself, I had no trouble taking them and Russia on with the very limited support the UK did give. Still, under 10 years to form fuckoff huge Germany is pretty good I think.

Almost as impressed by a fully formed Italy by 1845. How did that happen?

For my part I just completed a campaign as the Ottomans where I strove to become a fully modernized, democratic welfare state while keeping all my European and African possessions at the historical peak. Me, Germany and Japan dismantled Russia, France and the UK over the course of the game. I had, among others, Croatia, Hungary, Serbia, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Algeria, Morocco, Persia, Greece and Hail as my sphered friends.

Quite satisfied with my score, but I kinda slacked off on industrialization and just let my capitalist build what they want and the pops promote on their own. But this was partly because I needed to keep my national focuses on soldier promotion the entire game through simply to keep up with my swelling army and keep my hungry neighbors (Russia!) at bay.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Super Germany forms the EU over 100 years early, peace reigns in Europe for a thousand years.

Super Kolonialism follows, bad times are had outside the continent.

Everyone speaks German, tea is outlawed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

First the Russians came and then the Italians, then the British. The United Kingdom was horrified at the monster they (somewhat) helped create and broke their alliance immediately. Russia and Italy were desperate to contain the beast which was forming on their border. After all, I just took east switzerland and Franche-Comte. The coalition struck in late 1950. Within a year the Italians and the Russians surrendered, the British unable to gain a foothold in German land. I mobilized the people of the Empire but there was no need, my armed forces were sufficient.

They will be back with a vengeance, and I will fight them off again. Germany is an armed camp, and soon enough I force the communists to come to power and a people's revolution will take hold. In the 19th and 20th centuries, there is only war.

I assume you mean 1850?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pimpmust posted:

Super Germany forms the EU over 100 years early, peace reigns in Europe for a thousand years.

Super Kolonialism follows, bad times are had outside the continent.

Everyone speaks German, tea is outlawed.

Are you Philip K. Dick?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yes.

No.

Maybe?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If you were Philip K. Dick, would you know you were Philip K. Dick?

Wait, isn't that a Philip K. Dick story?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

That's what always turns me off uniting Germany with Austria sphered. It's just so annoying when it makes you go over the BB limit and then everyone DoWs and you have to throw your millions of mobilized brigades at them.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
All this SuperGermany chat makes me want to start a new Victoria 2 game as France, but even if I had time for it I'm pretty sure it'd turn out about as well as all of my prior attempts to stop Germany from forming. :v:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I've had good luck stopping it as Sweden. I basically sphered Holstein as quick as possible, then laughed as the NGF never forms

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Last time I did a France game, I took an "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to Germany. I spent the vast majority of my game working on biting off pieces of Spain and colonizing, all the while keeping good relations with Germany. Eventually I just let them have Alsace-Lorraine since I had already eaten pretty much the entire Iberian peninsula, so the territory trade was worth it, since Germany and I became inseparable bros who conquered Europe and dismantled the British Empire together.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
So is hpm the go to mod nowadays for V2? Is it any good?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

One of my first Vic2 games had me sphere Hannover as France and then give the game up after getting bored.

Besides you need Germany to form so conquering all of the Rheinland isn't such a huge pain.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

So is hpm the go to mod nowadays for V2? Is it any good?

HoD and NNM is all you need. And the new beta patch.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looking at zoomed in details of HoI4 makes me really not want to buy it.

I mean, yeah lol grognards and NATO symbols are funny to joke with but it's ugly as hell to see forty skinny scrawny dudes shooting rifles at each other all over the German-French border.

I seriously hope there's some better alternative introduced in the near future because seeing the same scrawny looking dude cloned a thousand times shooting his rifle at his mirror image while a bunch of identical boats roam around the sea is just ugly as hell.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Personally, I think gameplay is more important than graphics

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

There's still counters, they just aren't NATO counters. You don't have to use the unit models if you don't want.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mans posted:

I mean, yeah lol grognards and NATO symbols are funny to joke with but it's ugly as hell to see forty skinny scrawny dudes shooting rifles at each other all over the German-French border.

I seriously hope there's some better alternative introduced in the near future because seeing the same scrawny looking dude cloned a thousand times shooting his rifle at his mirror image while a bunch of identical boats roam around the sea is just ugly as hell.

Who the hell plays zoomed in enough to see 3d unit models? The only time I see them in EUIV is in the combat resolution screen.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Also there is NATO counters but by all means :qq:

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

There's still counters, they just aren't NATO counters. You don't have to use the unit models if you don't want.

There are NATO symbols. There is a toggle box in the options menu, shown off in the last Stream.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 27, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are the soldiers especially skinny???

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah they're all wearing massive coats and stuff, how can you even tell that they're skinny? Paradox's artists have gotten way better at unit modeling, look at the base EU4 units compared to the unit packs they're doing today, it's like night and day. Some of the animations are a bit janky in HOI4 though, the routing one especially was a bit :laugh:

Fintilgin posted:

Who the hell plays zoomed in enough to see 3d unit models?

lots of people

There's no way they're not gonna do lots of unit packs for this game, I'm sure variety will get patched up and then some before too long. And in general I think HOI4 is the best looking by far of Paradox's games, the map is super crisp and the lighting effects are great.

the ships sailing through land bothered me a bit in that last WWW though. I guess there's no reasonable way to fix it but there was one that kept cruising straight through Shandong in China and it was insanely distracting.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 27, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mans posted:

Why do you think people prefer NATO counters? Because they're more visually appalling and easier to digest than what paradox produces.

It's almost as if NATO designed these counters to relay information quickly in a simple manner.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It could just be that conflict and famine have left those particular soldiers severely emaciated.

I was usually zoomed in close enough for the counters to switch to models when I was controlling a particular battle line but I didn't spend most of the game like that, usually zoomed out far enough to see an entire front and keep an eye on progress. That said, I didn't really notice anything off about the models and find their animations break the monotony of what ultimately just boils down to staring at a map, it will also provide you with some basic feedback instantaneously based on what they're doing.

I hope you can also watch your enemies cities gradually become more on fire as you relentlessly bomb them over the course of the war... they were going to more details at a glance this time around.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

oh word? i swear i heard it was only models now and no counters.

I don't care if they're nato counters or not i just find those units jarring in HoI. It's just odd to see world war 2 armies being represented by broomstick stacks.

my ability to feel human is restored and i eagerly away the ability to pre-order when possible, as soon as i get my Franco and Salazar portraits.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tuskin38 posted:

There are NATO symbols. There is a toggle box in the options menu, shown off in the last Stream.

Yeah they showed off the NATO symbols while making fun of them last stream.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
They show it off here, specifically.

And throughout that video you can see that armies appear as counters (NATA or Paradox) until you zoom waaaay in to specifically admire you splendid troops.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Possibly dumb idea- I think it'd be interesting if at some point the EU4 developers curated a the game into an 'EU4' and 'EU4-lite' pair of games/game-modes, with one keeping in all the continuously expanding rules while the other tried to filter out some of the less accessible bits and micro-management. Personally I think EU is the most accessible of the Paradox map-games, but with Cossacks and seemingly with Mare Nostrum they're adding elements that are pushing that accessibility level downwards, and I worry they'll start to lose that step-up game that lets people get comfortable with the Paradox style.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Empress Theonora posted:

They show it off here, specifically.

And throughout that video you can see that armies appear as counters (NATA or Paradox) until you zoom waaaay in to specifically admire you splendid troops.

jesus loving christ Mao looks like one of those alien things from stellaris.

did all the budget go to fascist portraits?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mans posted:

Have you looked at paintings of Mao in real life? Dude just had a weird head.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Mans posted:

did all the budget go to fascist portraits?

IIRC somebody pointed out in the replies to the China DD thread that the portrait of Mao they used is him way older than he would have been during WWII, but they weren't sure if they'd be able to fix it in time for release.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Man, why do people still respond to mans

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Wait, there's no Guangxi Clique. Preorder etc

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

cool and good posted:

Man, why do people still respond to mans

Because it makes it harder to pretend that you're your favorite NaziWW2-era leaders, valliantly designing the defense of nations and not playing a fun video game about Italy loving up constantly.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Phi230 posted:

Why do you think people prefer NATO counters? Because they're more visually appalling

:stare:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

vs.

I'm not sure what the first picture is supposed to depict (It's supposed to be a horse I know, but it could also be a cow, zebra or a number of other animals) while the second picture is clearly depicting a unit of cavalry and you just have to marvel at the timeless beauty and functionality of a NATO symbol, which for me increases the immersion factor by a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

Are the soldiers especially skinny???
I hope this is moddable, in case someone makes a WW1 mod. It's very important to me that the continental troops are historically tiny, while the Brits, and especially the Americans, stand proud and well fed.

GaussianCopula posted:

vs.

I'm not sure what the first picture is supposed to depict (It's supposed to be a horse I know, but it could also be a cow, zebra or a number of other animals) while the second picture is clearly depicting a unit of cavalry and you just have to marvel at the timeless beauty and functionality of a NATO symbol, which for me increases the immersion factor by a lot.
Dude, cows have udders.