Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

kedo posted:

Thanks! Those cookies sound delicious and I'm not much of a cookie person. Decisions decisions.

You can also do some non traditional things. Slap some in a grilled cheese or on a burger. Chop it up and top a bratwurst or hot dog with it. Kimchi fo lyfe, yo.

:snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Steve Yun posted:

It's the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever had.

HOWEVER, when I followed the times and temps my cookies spread too much and were like floppy dinner plates. When I tried it again and adjusted the temperature 25° they came out perfectly.

Do you have an oven thermometer? Just curious. I found that mine is under by 15 degrees.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For the first time in a long time, I'm going to not be hosting Easter dinner, but am going to someone's house as a guest. I'm supposed to bring an appetizer. I know they're serving lamb, ham, and pickled eggs, but I have no idea of the rest of the menu.

I am completely blanking on something fantastic to make.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For the first time in a long time, I'm going to not be hosting Easter dinner, but am going to someone's house as a guest. I'm supposed to bring an appetizer. I know they're serving lamb, ham, and pickled eggs, but I have no idea of the rest of the menu.

Salumi platters are always the answer

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I always go with deviled eggs for easter but if they already have pickled ones, maybe you want another direction.

Lamb and ham, could do with any variety of potato salad or fried okra pretty well? Not really great appetizers on their own though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I've been messing around with puréed cauliflower. Mortons steakhouse has this black truffle cauliflower that was amazing. It's steamed cauliflower with butter and current cheese then Parmesan browned on top.

I'm having trouble with the texture though. It's too goopy. How can I get water out? Put it on the stovetop and reduce it? Low temp oven?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

You can also do some non traditional things. Slap some in a grilled cheese or on a burger. Chop it up and top a bratwurst or hot dog with it. Kimchi fo lyfe, yo.

:snoop:

kimchi and cheddar is such a stupid-good pairing. Kimchi grilled cheese. Kimchi mac&cheese. Kimchi cheeseburg.

Or just eat kimchi straight out of the jar all the goddamn time while your roommate makes horrified faces at you, that's what I do.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DARPA Dad posted:

Salumi platters are always the answer

I figure I want to be careful about too much salty stuff, though, since they've done the eggs. Maybe a few types of olives with some cheese, little peppers, fig jam, and crackers or grissini? If I bring that and some wine, is that going to be too little do you think?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm making French macarons, added my superfine sugar to egg whites/cream of tartar after soft peaks were forming but it seems to have gone runny now? I've never had this issue before-is there a way to remedy this?
Edit: fixed with some more cream of tartar

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 27, 2016

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

I've been messing around with puréed cauliflower. Mortons steakhouse has this black truffle cauliflower that was amazing. It's steamed cauliflower with butter and current cheese then Parmesan browned on top.

I'm having trouble with the texture though. It's too goopy. How can I get water out? Put it on the stovetop and reduce it? Low temp oven?

When I make creamed cauliflower, I boil, then mash, then return to the heat and cook out some moisture. Not sure what method you are using for cooking, or what recipe, but getting excess water out would probably help.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I figure I want to be careful about too much salty stuff, though, since they've done the eggs. Maybe a few types of olives with some cheese, little peppers, fig jam, and crackers or grissini? If I bring that and some wine, is that going to be too little do you think?

How big is the invitation list? I find recently that everyone brings a ton of food to shared events (all late 20s early 30s California orphans), so something like what you're describing would probably be a welcome addition, instead of bringing a large entree. I know your situation is a little different, but having to go to a bunch of these non-family holiday events, people seem to enjoy a nontraditional or novelty food. I've had great success with simple bruschetta and homemade bread tostinis.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I ended up going making a tray with a few kinds of olives, some crackers, cheese, fig jam, marconas, and little peppers that I'm stuffing with gorgonzola. And wine.

Thanks all!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kimchi can also go with delicate flavors it would usually overwhelm by washing it first. Washed kimchi is normal at a lot of fish restaurants in Korea. You get the sour pickle part with just hints of the other flavoring, reduced enough that it doesn't destroy the fish.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd be excited if someone brought that. It'll be great.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made this with the cream from full-fat coconut milk instead of heavy cream, because I had the coconut milk cream on hand. It didn't homogenize well at all. Did I mess it up by turning the heat too high? Is there any way to fix it or prevent it in the future? Do I just need to go and buy some heavy cream?

The pork came out delicious, and the sauce tasted pretty good, it just looked like crap.

If I'm going to trim the pork loin at some point during the recipe, when should it be? I'd like to get rid of some of the veins of excess fat. It's cooked so the fat is nice and soft, but there's some dime-sized pieces around the edges that are too much.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Geburan posted:

When I make creamed cauliflower, I boil, then mash, then return to the heat and cook out some moisture. Not sure what method you are using for cooking, or what recipe, but getting excess water out would probably help.

I steam the cauliflower then throw it in the food processor. Do you cook it down on the stovetop before you add the cream? No problem browning or burning it?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I roast the poo poo out of cauliflower, like until dark brown, then toss it in a pot with heavy cream and bring up to warm, then blend the cauliflower smooth, drizzling in the cream until it's the consistency you want. Heavy pinch of salt, delicious.

It's the only way I personally like cauliflower. It's also just about the only thing I ever enjoyed after adding truffle oil to... went pretty good with a roasted lamb rack and arugula salad.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Um, how many racks of lamb for six people? Like three?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Um, how many racks of lamb for six people? Like three?

That sounds about right, 4 or so ribs per person.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh, good. Thanks.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just had to use a garlic crusher because my daughter wouldn't let me put her down. How do I get over the shame?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As far as I can tell from Internet research there's no qualitative difference between the compounds released when garlic is cut with a knife or put through a press, the difference is that the garlic press releases a lot more of it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

So your answer is that I shouldn't be ashamed? Because that doesn't sound right...

Edit: my current thinking is that I should drink a lot of wine.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 27, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Using a garlic press is cool and good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

So your answer is that I shouldn't be ashamed? Because that doesn't sound right...

Edit: my current thinking is that I should drink a lot of wine.

Yes

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's always funny, how concerned people are, when they see pink meat. Everyone still ate and enjoyed it. So mission accomplished.

I can really recommend rack of lamb. Delicious, tender, flavorful and easy to prepare.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

I steam the cauliflower then throw it in the food processor. Do you cook it down on the stovetop before you add the cream? No problem browning or burning it?

As long as I stir it now and again, I've never had it brown. I am currently without food processor or stick blender, so old fashioned potato masher for me. I actually use cream cheese instead of cream as well, which probably gives it a thicker consistency.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made this with the cream from full-fat coconut milk instead of heavy cream, because I had the coconut milk cream on hand. It didn't homogenize well at all. Did I mess it up by turning the heat too high? Is there any way to fix it or prevent it in the future? Do I just need to go and buy some heavy cream?

The pork came out delicious, and the sauce tasted pretty good, it just looked like crap.

If I'm going to trim the pork loin at some point during the recipe, when should it be? I'd like to get rid of some of the veins of excess fat. It's cooked so the fat is nice and soft, but there's some dime-sized pieces around the edges that are too much.

I believe your coconut milk cream was too watery to come together, but I'm not a sauce expert and I hope someone else weighs in. Typically the cream warms and mixes with the water at first, then slow simmering and whisking for 5-10 minutes thickens it up a bit. If you're adding mustard, that will thicken it some, and it will come together even more as it cools. I would try again with whipping cream and be gentle with it for 15 minutes or so.

As for trimming the fat, I usually just cut around any excess fat on these bad boys. Since they're a fairly regular shape and the fat is mostly at the surface, I don't mind cutting it out on my plate. And you've seared all the sides of the tenderloin steaks nicely so you're not sacrificing much crust anyway.

I think I just wrote more words about the recipe than the recipe even has

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm making vegetable stock but I'll probably need to leave before it's cooled enough to put in the fridge. Will it be okay to cool at room temperature for a few hours? I suspect yes, since they're just vegetables but one can never be sure.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

me your dad posted:

I'm making vegetable stock but I'll probably need to leave before it's cooled enough to put in the fridge. Will it be okay to cool at room temperature for a few hours? I suspect yes, since they're just vegetables but one can never be sure.

I don't know the answer to your actual question, but if you plug up your sink, fill it with ice water, then plop the stock pot in and give it a stir for 5 or 10 minutes it should come down enough to throw in the fridge.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My first guess would be your sauce over reduced and broke. The cream from coconut milk that I'm used to is far fattier than heavy cream and that will easily break your emulsion.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommend an apple slicer? I'm thinking more than 8 slices.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommend an apple slicer? I'm thinking more than 8 slices.
I haven't used it, but it has good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Dial-A-Slice-Adjustable-Apple-Slicer/dp/B001CHIWWS

I think it's the same one as the Williams Sonoma Dial-A-Slice (now discontinued), which was Cooks Illustrated's recommended one

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 28, 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Why can't I make stick blender mayo

It doesn't work. It's worked for years. The only thing that has changed for me is elevation. Would that change things? I know it does with baking and stuff but why mayonnaise?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Psychobabble posted:

My first guess would be your sauce over reduced and broke. The cream from coconut milk that I'm used to is far fattier than heavy cream and that will easily break your emulsion.

Okay. I expected it to reduce thicker than it could, I guess. It definitely didn't break immediately.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Why can't I make stick blender mayo

It doesn't work. It's worked for years. The only thing that has changed for me is elevation. Would that change things? I know it does with baking and stuff but why mayonnaise?

Stick blender mayo either happens or it doesn't in the first second of blending. Make sure the yolk is under the bell of the blender, and make sure the cup you're using is very snug (if it didn't come with the blender). Once you emulsify the yolk and the oil at the bottom of the cup, you can get the rest of the oil in the cup to blend in afterwards.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Steve Yun posted:

Stick blender mayo either happens or it doesn't in the first second of blending. Make sure the yolk is under the bell of the blender, and make sure the cup you're using is very snug (if it didn't come with the blender). Once you emulsify the yolk and the oil at the bottom of the cup, you can get the rest of the oil in the cup to blend in afterwards.

Yeah I've been doing it for years, I've got the technique down, it just doesn't work any more. Exactly what we used to do, nothing now.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well if you've moved to a new locale it could be the eggs? Maybe there's a subtle difference. Any other ingredient changes?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Eeyo posted:

Well if you've moved to a new locale it could be the eggs? Maybe there's a subtle difference. Any other ingredient changes?

Yeah I guess it's possible. Still weirds me out that something I've been doing for years suddenly doesn't work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's an old wives tale that it's impossible to make mayonnaise when there's a thunderstorm brewing.

So it might be affected by air pressure and humidity.

The wives' tale is that the electrical charge prevents the proteins from binding or whatever but I don't buy that at all.