Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
TD S1 might for some people retroactively be bad or just okay because S2 kinda just proved that he couldn't repeat the magic and maybe we made too many concessions at the time for a single writer/single director project to want to be a really good thing. Plus he had like 10 years to write the drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sober posted:

TD S1 might for some people retroactively be bad or just okay because S2 kinda just proved that he couldn't repeat the magic and maybe we made too many concessions at the time for a single writer/single director project to want to be a really good thing. Plus he had like 10 years to write the drat thing.

Didn't the president of HBO say it was his fault the season was rushed out?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sober posted:

why would that retroactively make it bad, you're a dummy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another reminder that Horace and Pete is the best show releasing episodes right now. The latest episode ruined me. I'm a goddamn mess right now

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The best part of TD Season 2 was the baller opening and the incredibly sad but cute singer-songwriter in the dive bar. And the random contextual Conway Twitty dream sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJfe1k9CeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6qZryi1KY

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 27, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That's before the character has a prophetic dream where he is told the exact details of his own death for absolutely no reason other than that actual foreshadowing is difficult, right? Even as someone who didn't like the first season much (the first couple eps were glacial, the middle eps were gripping and the ending was just terrible) I think True Detective beats every other show named for second season dropoff.

boom boom boom posted:

Flash is making a run for it
Ugh, this really bums me out. So true. :smith:

EDIT:

boom boom boom posted:

in the first episode, Sherlock is so smart, he's able to outrun a car.
In London traffic this is absolutely plausible.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 27, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it was when Farrell visits his insane dad that he's told how he'll die in great detail.

Are there any good shows right now for sheer nail-biting edge of your seat tension? Think Breaking Bad or the early seasons of Homeland. Seems to be a gap in the current TV landscape.

i know at least one of you is going to try to say the 100. please don't do that though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Escobarbarian posted:

Are there any good shows right now for sheer nail-biting edge of your seat tension? Think Breaking Bad or the early seasons of Homeland. Seems to be a gap in the current TV landscape.

The Americans
Line of Duty
Happy Valley

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

The Americans?
edit: gently caress, beaten

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy Valley is a good choice but season 2 wasn't anywhere near as intense as 1. I've been meaning to check out Americans though so good to know it fills that void.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The last couple Walking Dead episodes had some decent tension. It's not a good show though.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

X-O posted:

You're being a bit selective there, they didn't announce anything for any of their new shows. Even ones that are a slam dunk like Life in Pieces.

I was gonna make a Life in Pieces thread. But then I got stoned.

I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't a thread because it has everything good about Modern Family and it has a really weird kind of humor to it that you'd think goons would be all over. To be fair, that weirdness is kind of an undercurrent that only shows itself over time. I also enjoy Dan Bakkedahl portraying a (sort of)competent human being for once.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The future of television is looking bleak

quote:

Apple has decided to join Netflix and Amazon and get in on the content commissioning game by ordering a television show about... app developers.

The tech giant has reportedly signed up producer Ben Silverman to create an entire TV show about nerds making iPhone products. And he's also been given a corporate remit: it should increase people's interest in Apple's App Store.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Personally, I think The Flash nosedived after it became all Jay.

So Silicon Valley without the self-awareness that makes Silicon Valley good?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Human Target is another in a long line of good shows hosed with by Fox for no drat good reason.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ben Silverman single-handedly saved Friday Night Lights from cancellation so i won't poo poo on an app show yet.

Found the pilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqe5fu8A30

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 27, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So they're copying Silicon Valley?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

So they're copying Silicon Valley?

Well if Silicon Valley was actually a half hour infomercial for GoogleHooli...

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

GreenNight posted:

Human Target is another in a long line of good shows hosed with by Fox for no drat good reason.

Probably the only good thing that happened in S2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgmK7bpxuSo

They ruined that show in the second season. Changed an awesome theme song, added 2 females characters that provided nothing, and had to give the main character a love arc with his new female boss.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

It would be way better if they just made an unintentionally hilarious cringe-inducing reality show about app developers competing against each other, like when Penny Arcade tried to break into reality TV or any of the indie game jam disasters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FetusSlapper posted:

I was gonna make a Life in Pieces thread. But then I got stoned.

I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't a thread because it has everything good about Modern Family and it has a really weird kind of humor to it that you'd think goons would be all over. To be fair, that weirdness is kind of an undercurrent that only shows itself over time. I also enjoy Dan Bakkedahl portraying a (sort of)competent human being for once.

It's come up in chat before, the only thing I like about it is the cast. Watched the first 4 or so episodes and none of the stories had time to really develop and it just wasn't particularly enjoyable. Was led to believe it didn't really improve so dropped it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BSam posted:

How about Agents of SHIELD?

quote:

near perfect season 1

What the poo poo is this?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

The most obvious troll.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

IRQ posted:

The most obvious troll.

I've posted in CineD too much, I accept even the most obviously trollish opinions as genuine now

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
AoS has had a freshman, a sophomore and a junior slump

It should have just flunked out a long time ago

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And despite all that, it's still massively entertaining.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GreenNight posted:

And despite all that, it's still massively entertaining.

you got a unusual definition of massive

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Massively entertaining.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

boom boom boom posted:

And of entertainment as well.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

less laughter posted:

And of entertainment as well.

oh no, I think Agents of SHIELD could be described as mildly entertaining, or maybe generously as, reasonably entertaining.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't be a oval office if you don't watch it. Don't be a oval office if you do watch it.

Those rules of thumb are nice.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rocksicles posted:

Don't be a oval office if you don't watch it. Don't be a oval office if you do watch it.

Powers Season 2 May 31st. As I'm fairly certain I'm the only one who stuck through to the finale of Season 1, please be cunty about it. It's a bad show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched it all... I'll watch the rest

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timby posted:

It's BSam.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

Even people who like AOS recommend it with the caveat that the first 12 or whatever episodes suck poo poo while they spun their wheels waiting for Winter Soldier to happen.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rocksicles posted:

I watched it all... I'll watch the rest

Does that mean you oppose being cunty about it? I'm gonna watch the rest too, but not because it's great writing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just saying don't be cunty :)

Isn't it a jesus day or something?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

Just saying don't be cunty :)

Isn't it a jesus day or something?

Let me tell you what I think about a jesus day :smug:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

IRQ posted:

Let me tell you what I think about a jesus day :smug:

No, it's Sunday, this is John Oliver's night. Maher gets Fridays because no one watches HBO on Friday night outside of travelers with too late a check-in to see the city. His biggest source of viewers is regularly listed in Nielsen ratings as 'concierge.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Bill Maher is cool because he's some weird anti-vaxer/anti-germ theory/crystal healing nutjob but insists that it's everybody else who is the irrational weirdo.

• Locked thread