Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

High time the AFL started looking into giving the Hawks some concessions to bring them back from the brink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

Apparently Minchington got 44 touches and 3 goals, too. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in contention for next week.

Yeah, Sinclair also got 27 and 4 goals. The problem is who do they replace? Neither are really what we need in the middle and we already have the smalls up forward (assuming we keep Gresham in the team for a decent run of games). Templeton is probably the one on the chopping block after a pretty meh performance today, but he must have been doing something right in the preseason to get selected over Sinc and Minch.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
we had a good run

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

tnimark posted:

I'm extremely jealous of that new guy who decided to support the Dogs.

Aww yeah :woof:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Grumio posted:

Aww yeah :woof:

Picked a good time dawg, I was getting sick of being the only Bulldog on here

edit: Doesn't hurt that we have the best mascot

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 27, 2016

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Eagles new top looking goooood

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
If they were playing at the WACCA it'd an authentic 90's throwback for both teams.

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 27, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

That was a long 1st quarter

Testekill fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 27, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Essendon will be very happy, there were two teams that lost by more than them.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Testekill posted:

Picked a good time dawg, I was getting sick of being the only Bulldog on here

edit: Doesn't hurt that we have the best mascot

tbf I am also a Bulldogs supporter :ninja:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Priddis has just the 28 disposals at half time

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Doctor Cave posted:

Should give back his brownlow, clearly not good enough

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
You know eagles are gonna have a good year when mcgovern tries to re-injure that same shoulder in the first quarter

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

You know eagles are gonna have a good year when mcgovern tries to re-injure that same shoulder in the first quarter

The dude has exactly zero sense of self preservation

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Frogmanv2 posted:

The dude has exactly zero sense of self preservation

If he wasn't selected he'd still be throwing himself around recklessly so that he'd feel at home.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Stringer has been reported for a jumper punch, surely they are taking the piss.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Didn't catch the full first half of this West Coast-Brisbane game (a long slog back from a practice match this afternoon) but it is getting quite testy. Eesh.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Testekill posted:

Stringer has been reported for a jumper punch, surely they are taking the piss.

He punched him the loving jaw, who cares if he was holding some guernsey in his fist while doing do.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
What has Stef Martin done to his hair

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Was he the one with a man bun?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
How do you nearly kick 100 points and get pummeled like that? drat.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Memento posted:

How do you nearly kick 100 points and get pummeled like that? drat.

Brisbane are an interesting kind of bad. They seem so close to a good side but they leak goals easily and they struggle badly

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
West Coast just saving some goals for next week against Hodge's thugs

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

West Coast just saving some goals for next week against Hodge's thugs

Le Cras firing at the same time as everyone else is a very scary prospect.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Haha the Lions have a cow on the front of their jumper this year for one of their sponsors. I don't know why I find that so amusing

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Was he the one with a man bun?

I prefer to call them dickhead antennas

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Testekill posted:

Brisbane are an interesting kind of bad. They seem so close to a good side but they leak goals easily and they struggle badly

Flair and talent with 0 workable structure and a lack of strong defensive mids

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

Flair and talent with 0 workable structure and a lack of strong defensive mids

Yep, you can see some really good signs but they're still pretty much half a team.

Christo3
May 1, 2013

Doctor Cave posted:

I just don't see him holding his spot in the 22.

Good signs from the Eagles. JK starting off very well, Nic Nat rucking well and taking contested possessions for once. First round I know, but good signs. Let's see what the Eagles can do against the Hawks next week.

For Brisbane, Christensen was the standout.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Last minute supercoach swaps were

Priddis > Rockliff
Kennedy > Greene

May as well just throw in the towel now. Pretty drat dominant west coat display. I think they're just going to be frightening at home and probably go unbeaten there I guess

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I've been telling myself I would watch this sport seriously for years but I never wanted to pay for a subscription or use dodgy feeds. Apparently fox sports is now airing this in US for some reason so I'm actuality going to try to give this a spin this time. I had a few questions, how do players turn pro? I assume there's no draft? Is it promotion from junior leagues, youth teams? Are teams finances capped, if so is it an even playing or is it more like baseball with luxury taxes? How often do players move amongst teams? Also who would you say are the best current offensive and defensive players currently. Lastly are there any Pepe (real madrid) like characters who play.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Seltzer posted:

I've been telling myself I would watch this sport seriously for years but I never wanted to pay for a subscription or use dodgy feeds. Apparently fox sports is now airing this in US for some reason so I'm actuality going to try to give this a spin this time. I had a few questions, how do players turn pro? I assume there's no draft? Is it promotion from junior leagues, youth teams? Are teams finances capped, if so is it an even playing or is it more like baseball with luxury taxes? How often do players move amongst teams? Also who would you say are the best current offensive and defensive players currently. Lastly are there any Pepe (real madrid) like characters who play.

There is a draft, and it is how players enter the competition. The draft is not lotteried, the basic order is simply the reverse order of rankings at the end of the previous year. There are some complications to this. The vast majority of players get to a professional club at 18, straight out of junior/school football. Some players don't get picked up at that age and spend a bit of time in the semi-professional regional leagues. Clubs have an affiliated team in a regional league which they use to develop talent they pick up, as well as get established players back into form from either a bad patch or injury. There is also an academy system, clubs who develop young players get easier access to them through the draft(it takes more words to explain this than is really worth it right now, if you're interested I can type it up later). A similar system exists allowing clubs easier access to a player if that player's father played a certain number of games for that club.

There is a salary cap for player payments, currently you must pay a minimum of 95% of the salary cap. You are allowed to bank up to that 5% to have excess in a following year.

Non-player football department spending(coaches, facilities etc) are subject to a luxury tax, but the way it is set up at the moment really only hurts the middle of the road teams. Lower spending teams don't hit the tax floor, and the maximum amount of luxury tax you can pay is capped quite low, so once you hit that there's no extra cost associated with keeping on spending. Like many facets of the Australian Football League it was designed and implemented poorly and with too little preparation and consultation.

We're currently in a transitional period for player movement. Traditionally movement was very much club dictated, clubs would trade players for other players or draft picks. A few years ago a form of free agency was brought in. After being at a club for eight years, the next time a player is out of contract they are either a Restricted or Unrestricted free agent, based on whether in their final contracted year they were amongst the highest 25% paid players at that club. If they were in the top 25%, they are a Restricted Free Agent, and their current club can match the terms offered to them by a rival club and force them to stay. As of yet, no club has matched the terms and forced a RFA to stay. If they weren't in the top 25%, they can choose to go to another club and their current club does not have the option of matching the offer. When all Free Agent transactions for the year are completed, the AFL determines the level of net loss any club has suffered for that year due to free agency, and awards them with compensation in the form of a draft pick, which remains tied to their draft position.

As for best players, the best midfielders are currently:

Gary Ablett Gary is the son of Gary Ablett, who was (still is) considered by many to be the most talented player in the history of the game, and is arguably a better player than his dad. He won a few premierships with Geelong, the club his dad played most of his footy for. When the AFL introduced a new franchise, the Gold Coast Suns, they headhunted Ablett as their captain. For the first few years he was the reason they won any games, they've now got a talented young team so there's less pressure on Ablett. He's been plagued by injury the last couple of years, and didn't play any practice games before this season and his best footy is probably behind him, but his first game of the season reminded people just how good he can be.

Nat Fyfe The inheritor of Ablett's "Best player right now" title, I don't think it's possible to not like him. He has fantastic skills, a big body for a midfielder and appears to be a really likable dude. The only downside is that he plays for Fremantle, Freo are coached by Ross Lyon who is looked down upon for his preference for playing ultra-defensive football. Still, nobody hates Fyfe.

Patrick Dangerfield A good bloke who decided family was the most important thing in life. He gave Adelaide really good service, but last year expressed desire to return home and play for Geelong, just down the road from where he grew up. Under the threat of him leaving as a free agent, Adelaide brokered a trade with Geelong. Noone holds grudges against Dangerfield for leaving Adelaide, least of all their fans.

notable forwards:

Lance Franklin This guy is just loving ridiculous. He's a gigantic man who is also incredibly athletic and skilled. He does absolute bullshit with the ball that you just shouldn't be allowed to do. He played for Hawthorn to start off his career, won some premierships with them, then went to Sydney because they offered him an unprecedented contract, resulting in the AFL placing a trade ban on Sydney (another one of their rushed decisions). He's been off his game for a while, battling injuries and depression, but if his first game this year is anything to go by we could be in for something pretty special.

Josh Kennedy This guy just kicks a fuckton of goals but nobody really cares that much because he plays for a west coast team, I looked him up on wikipedia and his stats seem pretty good though.

Jesse Hogan He is the great white hope of a club that has been hopeless for nearly a decade, and hasn't won a premiership since 1964. He is contracted to Melbourne for another 2 years, but the media is in constant hysteria of whether he will leave them. He's legit one of the most exciting young forwards we've seen in a long time and gets praise from some of the best forwards to play the game. Just don't talk about his run up(you can blame that on Kennedy though)

Jeremy Cameron Is an idiot and got himself suspended, directly losing his team their round 1 game through absence. Him and Hogan are the two best young forwards going. Hogan is better at marking the ball, but Cameron has outstanding ability once the ball hits the ground for a man of his size.

E: almost forgot EDDIEBETTS the best small forward in the game today. Can manufacture a goal from almost anywhere in the forward line. If a team doesn't have someone to sit on him they're in for a bad day, and even if they do he's probably too good for them.

Defenders whose names I can remember

Alex Rance Noone gives too much of a gently caress about defenders, but Rance is probably the best going at the moment. He almost left the game last year to go do missionary work as a jehovah's witness. He's the best defender in the game but wouldn't crack the top 10 of most top player lists which gives you an insight into how underconsidered defenders are by most.

Bob Murphy Similar to Nat Fyfe in terms of universal admiration, he should be in a nursing home but he can still run and is excellent at rebounding the ball from defence to offence for his team. He was given the captaincy of the Bulldogs last year, after their captain got the coach sacked and then hosed off to another team as thanks. Talented and courageous on the field, extremely eloquent off the field, Bob's a good bloke.

I don't really follow soccer, but according to wikipedia, Pepe is well known for on-field violence? In that case, Luke Hodge is your man. Last year he tried to break an opponent's neck on the point post. But don't worry, he's a good bloke.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 27, 2016

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Seltzer posted:

All players come in through the national draft from either junior "feeder" football teams/academies (TAC Cup league in Victoria for example) or from State/Local leagues. The great majority are from the feeder teams though. Draft age is 18 and you are "pro" from the point you get drafted. Trades arent super common, between 10 and 20 per year from a league of 700 odd players. Theres a lot more "loyalty" in the game then NFL for example. Players are very much lauded for being one club players.

There is a salary cap of around about 10million and penalties for cheating it (Carlton) although there are a number of "special" deals some players have gotten outside it that are grey areas. Plus rich clubs have more ability to find "incentives" for coming to them/staying which you cant really prove.

There is no such thing as an offensive or defensive player these days. You have to be both to play the modern game as even full forwards who traditionally sat in the goal square and took marks now have to run through the centre square. Means less massive amounts of goals kicked by individuals but I think opens up the game for a lot more entertainment in the passage of play. Watch old games from the golden era of the early 90s and most of the entertaining stuff happens inside the 50 arcs.

Im not sure who Pepe is (lol soccer) but Im assuming he is a marquee player. Nat Fyfe (Cow dude) is proabably the biggest player in the game at the moment after winning the Brownlow (best and fairest) last year and just in general being a really really good player and all round nice guy.
Hayden Ballyntyne almost fits here but comes in just undersize

If you ever manage to come to a real game avoid sitting at the fence during a Hawthorn game as Hawthorn's captain has a reputation of purposely jumping the fence and suplexing random opposition supporters into it. This is legal in the rules of the game, unde the "good bloke" clause but frowned upon by the general footy public.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Seltzer posted:

There is a salary cap, and players are acquired via a draft. There are a few exceptions to those 2 statements (father son rule, COLA) but you need not trouble yourself with detail like that atm.

Generally players are acquired from junior leagues when they hit about 18, but occasionally mature aged recruits get picked up from lower level state leagues. There is a luxury tax on non player spending. There are equalization problems in the league at the moment, but they are not Yankees tier yet. Since the mid to late 80s when the AFL went national, the administration has aimed for an equalized competition, but that goal has proved challenging at times largely due to growing pains (attendances, ratings, and revenue have increased substantially in the last 30 years).

Most fun forwards to watch in the league are Eddie Betts and Lance Franklin imo. Defensive players aren't usually as much fun, but the ones that take good intercept marks are Harry Taylor, Daniel Talia, and after the weekend I'm chucking Phil Davis in there because that was ridiculous. Midfielders like Ablett and Fyfe are more noteworthy in the entertainment stakes.

Most interesting players personality wise are probably Steve Johnson, Ryan Crowley, Luke Hodge, Hayden Ballantyne, Dustin Martin and Brent Harvey. They are all glorious pricks in differing degrees.

EDIT: Beaten like Collingwood. I should point out that the league's prick defender stocks have been sadly cut down in recent years with the retirements of Milburn, Scarlett, and Lake. Thankfully we still have Merret up north.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 27, 2016

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's a draft and a salary cap.

With regards to best players, Josh Kennedy is the reigning Coleman Medallist, (most goals kicked in a season, and started off this season pretty well with 8) Nat Fyfe and Gary Ablett Jr are widely considered to be the best midfielders, and Alex Rance seems to be one of the most highly rated defenders. You'll hear a lot of different opinions on who is the best, though.

Don't know enough about Pepe to make a comparison.

EDIT: Well crap.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nat Fyfe The inheritor of Ablett's "Best player right now" title, I don't think it's possible to not like him. He has fantastic skills, a big body for a midfielder and appears to be a really likable cow dude. The only downside is that he plays for Fremantle, Freo are coached by Ross Lyon who is looked down upon for his preference for playing ultra-defensive football. Still, nobody hates Fyfe.

FTFY

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

That's a really good write up thanks. Yea pepe has a screw loose and is not only known for putting in dangerous tackles and offball shenanigans but also his overall stupidity and rashness. He makes games incredibly entertaining for neutrals and even got redcarded during the last worldcup for headbutting someone after the play was stopped. So basically a player who is really good yet still is an outrageous and stupid oval office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g811KCEwug
"Pepe's best fights and kicks"

e- Those are all good write ups

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't really follow soccer, but according to wikipedia, Pepe is well known for on-field violence? In that case, Luke Hodge is your man. Last year he tried to break an opponent's neck on the point post. But don't worry, he's a good bloke.

Nutsngum posted:

If you ever manage to come to a real game avoid sitting at the fence during a Hawthorn game as Hawthorn's captain has a reputation of purposely jumping the fence and suplexing random opposition supporters into it. This is legal in the rules of the game, unde the "good bloke" clause but frowned upon by the general footy public.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Seltzer posted:

That's a really good write up thanks. Yea pepe has a screw loose and is not only known for putting in dangerous tackles and offball shenanigans but also his overall stupidity and rashness. He makes games incredibly entertaining for neutrals and even got redcarded during the last worldcup for headbutting someone after the play was stopped. So basically a player who is really good yet still is an and outrageous and stupid oval office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g811KCEwug
"Pepe's best fights and kicks"

There used to be a fair few players like that, but recent pushes to stamp out blatant violence after it started leaking into amateur levels really cut down the numbers, and I'm pretty sure most of the last few players who still had that in them retired in the last 5 years or so. These days the most violent players tend to be sly ones, trying to hide their violent acts where the match officials aren't looking, or doing it while pretending they are the ones who have been attacked, ala Diego Costa. They tend to get protection from the old players/mates network that pervades the TV broadcast media, whose favourite defence is "He wouldn't have done that on purpose, I know him and he's a really good bloke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

There used to be a fair few players like that, but recent pushes to stamp out blatant violence after it started leaking into amateur levels really cut down the numbers, and I'm pretty sure most of the last few players who still had that in them retired in the last 5 years or so. These days the most violent players tend to be sly ones, trying to hide their violent acts where the match officials aren't looking, or doing it while pretending they are the ones who have been attacked, ala Diego Costa. They tend to get protection from the old friends network that pervades the TV broadcast media, whose favourite defence is "He wouldn't have done that on purpose, I know him and he's a really good bloke"

This is disappointing. To clarify I'm not advocating people putting in career ending tackles but I enjoy hard tackling, idiocy, and shenanigans.

• Locked thread