Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like Dane Dahann and Luc Besson. So i'm already sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
My least favorite part of BvS is that they take a completely true and insightful perspective on the world and use it to help characterize Lex Luthor as an evil madman. The problem of evil has no solution apart from giving up one of the aspects of God, and power is never innocent. This would all be well and good if they continued MoS's portrayal of Superman as someone who's essentially human despite his alien heritage, to let the film essentially say "you're right; I'm not God, but I try to be good" and have Lex be wrong because he misunderstood Superman -- but it doesn't follow through on that, despite hinting at it early on. Instead Snyder doubles down on the Christ imagery and teases him literally rising from the dead at the end. "God is good, and he's a farm boy from Kansas."

I'm also not a fan of the implication that both Lex's madness and his ideology sprang from his childhood abuse.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Terrible Horse posted:

Also hope that's a special time travel suit, because it looked way too armored for Flash

This was my thought too. Anyone who wasn't paying enough attention would not recognize it at all as being Flash, and instead think it's some other random dude.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My least favorite part of BvS is that they take a completely true and insightful perspective on the world and use it to help characterize Lex Luthor as an evil madman. The problem of evil has no solution apart from giving up one of the aspects of God, and power is never innocent. This would all be well and good if they continued MoS's portrayal of Superman as someone who's essentially human despite his alien heritage, to let the film essentially say "you're right; I'm not God, but I try to be good" and have Lex be wrong because he misunderstood Superman -- but it doesn't follow through on that, despite hinting at it early on. Instead Snyder doubles down on the Christ imagery and teases him literally rising from the dead at the end. "God is good, and he's a farm boy from Kansas."

I'm also not a fan of the implication that both Lex's madness and his ideology sprang from his childhood abuse.

I read a few posts here saying he is crazy because he gets infected/affected by Darkseid but I don't know where they're pulling that from.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyone unfamiliar with flashes power set would also likely have trouble.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Given that his presence in the movie seems to be some weird dream-within-a-dream poo poo anyway, I just took it as further proof that Batman is pretty thoroughly insane.

The most likely situation in my mind is that the studio said "We need The Flash in this movie" and Snyder was like "well I already had this perfectly good apocalyptic future dream sequence, that's probably the best place to shoehorn him in".

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Eh theology has plenty of alternative solutions to offer if you're open to learning about them. If your entire philosophical intake consist of Dawkins and Hitchens maybe this viewpoint makes sense.

Abused people abuse people. Id rather have a movie like this or Ex Machina than one which glorifies abuse as purifying people like Short Term 12. Abuse is a bad thing, it tends to wreck people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This may not be the right thread for it, but can you elaborate on the Short Term 12 thing?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I disagree with your reading of Man of Steel, it's explicitly about how he is a god among men. The shot of him standing over the dog as a kid, the importance of his father giving his life for the dog, and so on.

bring back old gbs posted:

I read a few posts here saying he is crazy because he gets infected/affected by Darkseid but I don't know where they're pulling that from.

The end of the film he's taunting Batman about how the bell has been rung, and it's bringing attention. The camera even goes to Luthor's father's room and shows the upside down painting of the demon descending from above. Darkseid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's hoping to see The Crime Bible in Justice League.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

rakovsky maybe posted:

Eh theology has plenty of alternative solutions to offer if you're open to learning about them. If your entire philosophical intake consist of Dawkins and Hitchens maybe this viewpoint makes sense.

I'm not ignorant of the attempted solutions. I can literally crack open the Catechism of the Catholic Church and point to the bit where they admit that the problem of evil has no known solution and falls back on "well, our entire faith is an attempt to grapple with that challenge" if you like. Or the Book of Job, which features God punishing the people who try to explain his actions in a favorable light and forgiving the one who calls him a tyrant. (Which isn't quite the same as what I'm saying, but allows for it, if you will.)

I'm sympathetic to Christianity; what the faith proposes is beautiful, it's just irreconcilable with the reality of suffering.

wyoming posted:

I disagree with your reading of Man of Steel, it's explicitly about how he is a god among men. The shot of him standing over the dog as a kid, the importance of his father giving his life for the dog, and so on.

I guess both films have elements of the contrary idea. In Man of Steel he has to resort to killing Zod, though; the most crucial scene in the film is about Superman being only one step away from powerless, and needing to do something awful because the alternative is worse. To me, that's something human beings do, not something God does.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 27, 2016

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This may not be the right thread for it, but can you elaborate on the Short Term 12 thing?

Short Term 12 just implies that its main character was compelled to work with abused children because she herself was abused. She ultimately comes to terms with this by saving a girl going through a similar experience. It's a false liberal idea that by being sexually abused our main character gains insight, empowerment, and empathy. In real life, most victims of sexual abuse go on to become sexual abusers themselves, which is precisely why it's so terrible. Short Term 12 advocates that bad things happen for good reasons, which is an obviously monstrous viewpoint.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
MoS seems to be more that, Clark only seems like a god from our limited perspective. He still lives on a farm and has a mother that he loves very much. He still makes dumb mistakes. He falls in love. He isn't infallible and it's our mistake to think he is. BvS carries on this theme.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

rakovsky maybe posted:

Short Term 12 just implies that its main character was compelled to work with abused children because she herself was abused. She ultimately comes to terms with this by saving a girl going through a similar experience. It's a false liberal idea that by being sexually abused our main character gains insight, empowerment, and empathy. In real life, most victims of sexual abuse go on to become sexual abusers themselves, which is precisely why it's so terrible. Short Term 12 advocates that bad things happen for good reasons, which is an obviously monstrous viewpoint.

I haven't seen the film, so however you answer this, I'll take your word for it until I can see it for myself. That said:

Is it not possible to read it as "in spite of" rather than "because?"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

rakovsky maybe posted:

On the one hand I feel you, given that narratives of "this incredibly monstrous thing happened for ~~a reason~~ and in hindsight maybe it's a blessing after all" are profoundly hosed up and used to dismiss / apologize for systematic abuse

On the other hand I don't really remember Short Term 12 trafficking in that, beyond the extent of Grace being an abuse survivor who is herself good at working with abuse survivors. If there was a scene where she expressed, explicitly or implicitly, that her trauma made her stronger or wiser or she's grateful for it or whatever, I don't remember it. In fact it seemed like her own history was actively getting in the way of her functioning, homegirl was ready to torpedo her engagement and get herself thrown in jail for B&E and assault

Also on the other hand, it's cool that you know about cycles of abuse and stuff but "most victims" is a stretch when studies place its incidence at about a third. And as someone who's in the other two thirds and hopes to stay there, I feel like having fictional narratives that reassure me that I can be a good person and am not just a ticking time bomb is a good thing, even if they can be saccharine and even if they can sometimes tiptoe into the mindset that I agreed was gross in the first paragraph of this post. So,

gently caress yoooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuu

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 27, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, "most" seems like an amazing stretch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just watched the animated Batman Superman movie, World's Finest for the billionth time. It's amazing that they managed to put so much awesome content into something with only one hour of runtime. Kinda puts BvS in a different perspective. If they would have just done BvS scene for scene from this animated movie I would have been totally fine with it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just watched the animated Batman Superman movie, World's Finest for the billionth time. It's amazing that they managed to put so much awesome content into something with only one hour of runtime. Kinda puts BvS in a different perspective. If they would have just done BvS scene for scene from this animated movie I would have been totally fine with it.

That movie had the benefit of BTAS and STAS though. BvS was basically Justice League: We're Currently in Beta which meant they had to build up their mythology as much as they could in a limited run time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wyoming posted:

Yeah, also this, it seems implied that Batman was retired until Superman v Zod.

No it isn't. It appears that way in the trailers but the film makes it very clear that he's been active as Batman non stop.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Are we still not spoiler tagging BvS poo poo or can I go back to the past couple of pages I skipped safely?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Holy poo poo I had no idea the lady directing Wonder Woman is the same person who wrote and directed Monster :eyepop:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

CelticPredator posted:

It's cool to feel whatever you want.

But you can't deny that tone changes things for people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxA5ECu2u3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_93l5q7AWDM

In the Donner cut of Superman 2 they all fall to their deaths. However , tone is important. Also, it's important to remember that they ended up changing the ending of Superman 2 originally they were going to be put in jail I forget why it was changed to all three of them dying. Also, they were killed in a way as to make it possible to "bring them back" I guess.

Ah now I found it apparently they did a International Version where they were thrown in jail at the end instead of being killed.

So for probably some of the world at least the villians in Superman 2 were never killed by him.

Honestly Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut is the actual version to me, it's so more superior.

Also we got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Never forget that Christopher Reeves was the greatest actor to play Superman.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 27, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Reeves is amazing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

HIJK posted:

That movie had the benefit of BTAS and STAS though. BvS was basically Justice League: We're Currently in Beta which meant they had to build up their mythology as much as they could in a limited run time.

And that's part of the reason why it's bad. Such a simple story the movie ended up having shouldn't take 2.5 - 3 hours to deliver.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

HIJK posted:

Early access movies? I'm not ready for this grim future. :(

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Need more Valerian details, everything shown so far looks fabulous as hell.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I haven't seen the film, so however you answer this, I'll take your word for it until I can see it for myself. That said:

Is it not possible to read it as "in spite of" rather than "because?"

The "abused people abuse people" bit is a step too far, but Short Term 12 definitely presents the main character's abuse as providing her with the ability to connect with abused children in a way that merely trained professionals aren't able to match. It's a hosed-up movie.

Jenny Angel posted:

In fact it seemed like her own history was actively getting in the way of her functioning, homegirl was ready to torpedo her engagement and get herself thrown in jail for B&E and assault

Yeah, and that assault is part of the acting out that helps her get through to the abused kid. It gets in the way of her functioning except in terms of helping abused kids, which is some straight-up Batman/Iron Man/Lethal Weapon poo poo. It's a hosed-up movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

HIJK posted:

A total stranger to comics could watch that animated movie and follow along just fine. If anything it's like the perfect starting point. Each scene is very purposeful and each line of dialogue is deliberate and necessary. There's basically no weird filler at all because they knew they had one story to tell and they told it.

Edit: anyone remember the scene they showed in BvS where Lois walks forward a bit and then falls down into a puddle. Just one of a hundred absolutely pointless scenes that add nothing

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 27, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A total stranger to comics could watch that animated movie and follow along just fine. If anything it's like the perfect starting point. Each scene is very purposeful and each line of dialogue is deliberate and necessary. There's basically no weird filler at all because they knew they had one story to tell and they told it.

Edit: anyone remember the scene they showed in BvS where Lois walks forward a bit and then falls down into a puddle. Just one of a hundred absolutely pointless scenes that add nothing

Doesn't she almost drown later in the film? Foreshadowing!!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Renoistic posted:

And that's part of the reason why it's bad. Such a simple story the movie ended up having shouldn't take 2.5 - 3 hours to deliver.
Yeah if you were going to make a Justice League movie, I'd just go with how Justice League started, War of the Worlds and then all 7 of these heroes decide to work together and then eventually say "Hey we did good, let's make this a permanent thing"

Maybe the twist is that we've been watching the universe where the Justice League becomes the Justice Lords and 5 movies later we get the actual good universe Justice League to kick their asses.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah if you were going to make a Justice League movie, I'd just go with how Justice League started, War of the Worlds and then all 7 of these heroes decide to work together and then eventually say "Hey we did good, let's make this a permanent thing"

Maybe the twist is that we've been watching the universe where the Justice League becomes the Justice Lords and 5 movies later we get the actual good universe Justice League to kick their asses.

Only if it features the laziest character ever, Power Ring

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

There's such a strange rationalization to want to declare these movies as "non-canon" so people don't have to care about them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Not like canon is a meaningful concept anyway.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

‘Batman V Superman’ Kicks ‘Avengers’ For Best Superhero Global Debut & Beats ‘Hunger Games’ For Pre-Summer Opening U.S. Title — Sunday B.O.

Warner Bros. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice didn’t beat The Avengers in the states ($207.4M), but worldwide they punched out the Marvel hero team with a $424M debut. That beats Avengers’ $392.5M opening, and is the fourth highest bow of all-time globally, even outpegging Universal’s Furious 7‘s $397.7M.

The Burbank, CA-based studio needed this opening like a guy in the desert thirsting for water, particularly after a 2015 fraught with big budget disasters like Pan, Jupiter Ascending, In the Heart of the Sea, and Man From U.N.C.L.E. Obviously, BvS is another big win for franchised properties on the big screen. That’s what stands out here as the winning formula next to last year’s previous pricey ambitions greenlit by Warner Bros.

As one rival studio executive exclaimed today after looking at BvS’ success, “I don’t think anyone read the reviews!” Advance ticket sales firms are reporting that BvS is already generating 30% more repeat business than they normally see. Late night shows are even bigger than Warner Bros. calculated. Originally, they thought BvS made $49M yesterday, but when they woke up this morning, its second day take moved to $50.8M.

BvS’ stateside $170M haul marks a studio best for Warner Bros., taking out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2‘s $169.1M. Hopefully that figure holds into tomorrow as rivals have BvS with an estimated $168.5M FSS. BvS also easily owns the following records: best pre-summer and March opening beating The Hunger Games’ $152.5M, as well as best Easter opening kicking aside Furious 7 $147.2M. BvS has also beaten up The Dark Knight Rises ($160.9M) and The Dark Knight’s ($158.4M) first frames to become the best debut for a DC Comics big screen adaptation. Everyone is expecting BvS to follow the path of most films in the top 10 with a -30% to -35% decline this Easter Sunday. Only faith-based pics like Miracles of Heaven and Risen are seeing -10% dip from Saturday.

There’s slew of other records BvS broke: best opening for Ben Affleck (beats Pearl Harbor‘s $75.2M), Henry Cavill and director Zack Snyder (Man of Steel‘s $116.6M). To date, BvS is also the best FSS for the year, beating Deadpool‘s $132.4M. The projection is that the B CinemaScore –of which there were 22% under 18-year olds who loved it with an A- and 40% under 25ers at 40% who gave it a B+– will translate into a 2.25 multiple, which would put BvS’ final tally at $383M stateside.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-opening-weekend-box-office-records-1201726300/

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 27, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Not surprising.

Also, any good news about BvS breaking box office records will likely only reassure WB/DC that there's absolutely nothing wrong with their outings and they'll keep making the same mistakes.
So, no, no :dance:ing here.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Deakul posted:

Not surprising.

Also, any good news about BvS breaking box office records will likely only reassure WB/DC that there's absolutely nothing wrong with their outings and they'll keep making the same mistakes.
So, no, no :dance:ing here.

I'm fine with that, I greatly enjoyed the movie :shrug:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I look forward to people saying that this means the movie is actually good, while continuing to decry other similarly bloated, brainless affairs as terrible despite making similar amounts of money.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm fine with that, I greatly enjoyed the movie :shrug:

Ok.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I look forward to people saying that this means the movie is actually good, while continuing to decry other similarly bloated, brainless affairs as terrible despite making similar amounts of money.

It does mean WB is more likely to let Snyder keep doing his thing and less tempted to pull a 180 on the franchise and break out the quip book and low consequences 'fun'. In that sense, I am glad the film is selling well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

multijoe posted:

It does mean WB is more likely to let Snyder keep doing his thing and less tempted to pull a 180 on the franchise and break out the quip book and low consequences 'fun'. In that sense, I am glad the film is selling well

Makes that one article about WB executives "making GBS threads their pants and making all the movies standalone" that much funnier.

• Locked thread