Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

Stuck my Pixel to our agile whiteboard at work, sticks really well! Trying to think of something I can build during our upcoming hackathon that could make use of this. Some kind of live JIRA feed maybe.

You're making me want this thing I absolutely don't need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Buying things I don't really need but is a skill I have spent many years perfecting.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Got the Pixel with the keyboard yesterday. It's awesome. I had the same completely horrible touch input issues for about 5 min before a 50mb update fixed everything. It is honestly a beautiful looking tablet, and the ability to connect bluetooth easier than my laptop, voice search easier than my laptop, etc make it a pretty ideal home computing device. I may use it 80% of the time for podcasts and watching movies, but that's time that I don't have to drain the battery on my phone or laptop, or worry about bluetooth constantly.

Definitely a secondary device, but the keyboard makes it a much more compelling secondary device than a regular tablet.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

vulturesrow posted:

As it happens, that's the one I settled on, came in the mail today.

I know I'm late to the party, but be careful with the port cover on that case. It was so tight on mine that it put enough pressure on the USB plug to make my power connection all floppy.

This is the case I ended up replacing it with, and it's worked out well so far:

http://www.amazon.com/ProCase-NVIDI...ield+case&psc=1

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

Sigh.

So.

Despite being the most outspoken opponent of nvidia SoCs and thinking the Pixel C was a half baked product.... I have one arriving on Friday.

This is partly born out of my continuing dissatisfaction with the Nexus 9 and partly due to the improvements that seem to have happened with the latest patch.

It came down to this. If I sell the N9 and finally get around to selling my N10, it nearly pays for the Pixel C and it HAS to be better than the N9, right?

Still keeping my N7 though and will totally buy the hell out of a N7 replacement. 7" widescreen form factor is way too useful.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 25, 2016

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

bull3964 posted:

Sigh.

So.

Despite being the most outspoken opponent of nvidia SoCs and thinking the Pixel C was a half baked product.... I have one arriving on Friday.

This is partly born out of my continuing dissatisfaction with the Nexus 9 and partly due to the improvements that seem to have happened with the latest patch.

It came down to this. If I sell the N9 and finally get around to selling my N10, it nearly pays for the Pixel C and it HAS to be better than the N9, right?

Still keeping my N7 though and will totally but the hell out of a N7 replacement. 7" widescreen form factor is way too useful.

The Pixel C is pretty great, I love mine so far. Only issues are the ones mentioned above: the lowest volume is too high, the lowest brightness is a bit too bright. And you need to install the system update pretty much immediately as it fixes touch absolutely crippling touch handling issues.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The thing that really bugs me about the Pixel C is that I really enjoy using the keyboard but the space bar doesn't pause anything. YouTube, Netflix, Hulu. It doesn't pause the video. There's no reason it shouldn't pause the video!

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

So I bought a Pixel C and am traveling with it tomorrow. So far I really like it...as an e-reader I expect it to have absolutely absurd battery life.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So was there anything out of MWC to challenge ordering a Shield K1?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MikeJF posted:

No, I only heard about low-end tablet announcements, not a new high performing one. nVidia is expected to present something at GTC (April 4-7) but that's probably about desktop GPUs, not tablets.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MikeJF posted:

There's modest chatter about a new Nexus 7 this year, but on the other hand isn't the K1 like 200 bucks?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Sir Unimaginative posted:

There's modest chatter about a new Nexus 7 this year, but on the other hand isn't the K1 like 200 bucks?

What's being said about a new 7? I'm finding less use for a tablet these days with phones getting bigger and laptops getting lighter but I still use my 7 pretty regularly as a book reader/time killer while waiting for laundry.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My Nexus 7 2013 is even better after marshmallow and I love the size and screen. I'd only replace it for the K1 because is a nexus 7 2015.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Initial trip report with the Pixel C. All I have to say in comparison to the Nexus 9 is 'wow'. Even overlooking the superior build quality, it's just so much more responsive and smooth than the 9. It's a night and day difference. Once you start looking at the build quality though, it's hard to believe that the Nexus 9 cost nearly as much as the Pixel C new.

Everything that has been gushed about the hardware is right. It just feels so good in the hand. I know it weighs more than the N9 and is wider and taller, being just a bit thinner and so loving solid actually makes it feel less unwieldy in the hand.

The screen just destroys the N9 in contrast levels and general consistency. There's no discernable light bleed and everything seems nicely saturated without being unnatural.

Speakers manage to be louder than the N9 even though they aren't front facing. I know front facing speakers generally produce louder and nicer audio, but there's also something to be said for grills on the side which are less likely to collect dust.

In all, I'm happy with my purchase so far and it will be nice to pass the N9 off to someone else. The N9 certainly goes down as one of the worst Android devices I've ever owned, ranking probably just behind the Galaxy Nexus.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So who builds Pixel stuff for Google? If they're building the line themselves, why do they still out-source Nexus devices to OEMs?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Because nexus devices are about ecosystem harmony, not making money. You can definitely see a Pixel phone down the line though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Require More Fire posted:

So who builds Pixel stuff for Google? If they're building the line themselves, why do they still out-source Nexus devices to OEMs?

The only answer to this is "lol google" making cross competing platforms that fight each other is something Google loves to do, but it works for them so whatever. I'd assume that Foxconn makes the Pixel line-up since they make 99% of all OEM electronics.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The only answer to this is "lol google" making cross competing platforms that fight each other is something Google loves to do, but it works for them so whatever. I'd assume that Foxconn makes the Pixel line-up since they make 99% of all OEM electronics.

Alternately, they're helping each manufacturer they work with by giving them a reference design for the platform, to help them improve quality over time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there a Samsung tablet with a similar build quality to the Galaxy S6 or S7 with an AMOLED display and expandable storage?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a Samsung tablet with a similar build quality to the Galaxy S6 or S7 with an AMOLED display and expandable storage?

The most recent Samsung tablet generation is the Tab S2, it has microSD support.

For those looking for tablet-optimized apps, Tablified rewrote their app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tablifiedapps.tablifiedmarket

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Is this a tech support thread? My Nexus 9 somehow got hosed up by yesterday's update and now it doesn't boot to the OS. I'm not unlocked and the unlock option isn't enabled in the OS, which I can't get into, so I apparently can't just reflash. Is there any way at all to recover either files from the device, or the device itself with or without data?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Caphi posted:

Is this a tech support thread? My Nexus 9 somehow got hosed up by yesterday's update and now it doesn't boot to the OS. I'm not unlocked and the unlock option isn't enabled in the OS, which I can't get into, so I apparently can't just reflash. Is there any way at all to recover either files from the device, or the device itself with or without data?

Can you manually flash in the stock recovery the N-beta OTA as described in this article?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
https://pixel.google.com/developer-discount/

Enter email, wait a few hours, receive 25% discount code for a Pixel C.

Seems Google doesn't care if you are actually a developer or not. Ordered a 64gig/keyboard.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Seems Google doesn't care if you are actually a developer or not.

This actually makes me pretty angry, knowing if I would've waited 3 more weeks I could've spent 75$ less than I did and still get 32 more gigs. If they would've actually limited it to devs I wouldn't mind.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

LastInLine posted:

Can you manually flash in the stock recovery the N-beta OTA as described in this article?

I wasn't able to sideload the original update, but I didn't try N. Will try and report, thank you!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BottleKnight posted:

This actually makes me pretty angry, knowing if I would've waited 3 more weeks I could've spent 75$ less than I did and still get 32 more gigs. If they would've actually limited it to devs I wouldn't mind.

Well, I mean...that's the case with all sales and price reductions.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Well, I mean...that's the case with all sales and price reductions.

I guess I just saw that it was a developer sale and was fine with it, but knowing that they'd indiscriminately give it to anyone makes me a little peeved. If it was just a regular sale I'd missed out on it wouldn't be a big deal.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are you still within the return period? If so, just return it and buy a new one.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Update: the upgrade to N worked, but the sideload failed once, and then after it worked the second time, the tablet kept restarting during boot until I fully powered it down and then cold rebooted it. But now it's doing fine. Thanks for the heads up on the N beta method! I'm trying to give back with these warnings, in case anybody else panics like I did.

I also tried the split screen for a while and it even mostly works.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Code is valid until July 15th woohoo. This couldn't get any better!

e: You don't even have to enter the code in the store, it knows you!

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 13, 2016

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Does anybody know any tips and tricks to clearing the internal memory of the Kindle Fire to free up some room as the Wi-Fi gets disabled with low memory? I have used the ES File manager app to try and clear as much junk as I can and the Kindle Fire built in storage menu but that didn't allow me to clear any apps and I am sitting at 5.8g of 6g used.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rythe posted:

Does anybody know any tips and tricks to clearing the internal memory of the Kindle Fire to free up some room as the Wi-Fi gets disabled with low memory? I have used the ES File manager app to try and clear as much junk as I can and the Kindle Fire built in storage menu but that didn't allow me to clear any apps and I am sitting at 5.8g of 6g used.

I had to reset my son's. There was no way we had actually used 5.8 of 6, same as you. I deleted every app, every video, every photo. Still at 5.7 or so. The total of apps and the rest listed was less than a gig. The OS is loving something up. Did a system reset, reloaded the apps, had 5 gig left unused.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Got my Pixel C. This is a seriously nice piece of kit - the build quality and hardware choice is top notch, and with the N features, Android is starting to make a little sense on a tablet. If the app experience works for you, there is no reason to pick an iPad over this anymore if you like Android. Didn't get the keyboard, but now that I know I like it, I'll probably order one.

I used to have a 2013 Pixel, which was a great laptop (and if they had a removable SSD, I'd have a 2015 one right now), and this is every bit as good. Google needs to utilize the Pixel team more; it'd be great if they just said "gently caress it" and made a phone on their own.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Got my Pixel C. This is a seriously nice piece of kit - the build quality and hardware choice is top notch, and with the N features, Android is starting to make a little sense on a tablet. If the app experience works for you, there is no reason to pick an iPad over this anymore if you like Android. Didn't get the keyboard, but now that I know I like it, I'll probably order one.

I used to have a 2013 Pixel, which was a great laptop (and if they had a removable SSD, I'd have a 2015 one right now), and this is every bit as good. Google needs to utilize the Pixel team more; it'd be great if they just said "gently caress it" and made a phone on their own.

The problem is that outside of Apple products consumers won't spend more for quality. The reason for that is because the software is commodity software. You can buy a good enough Android phone for $100 that is functionally identical to the most expensive one, just like you can buy a $300 Windows computer. What you can't buy is a cheap computer running OS X or a cheap phone running iOS.

I like the stuff they brand as Pixels too but the fact is you just can't make money that way.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The problem is that outside of Apple products consumers won't spend more for quality. The reason for that is because the software is commodity software. You can buy a good enough Android phone for $100 that is functionally identical to the most expensive one, just like you can buy a $300 Windows computer. What you can't buy is a cheap computer running OS X or a cheap phone running iOS.

I like the stuff they brand as Pixels too but the fact is you just can't make money that way.

That's not entirely true, people are willing to pay for premium non-apple hardware occasionally. Samsung has built such a good reputation that many are willing to pay the $600-$700 for the latest Galaxy/Note. I've met many people that say "I don't want apple, but I want the best" and they'll get Surface Books/Pros and the latest Galaxy S/Note.

I don't think it makes sense economically for Google to try to build a brand like that. Instead just keep making reference hardware for developers/the OEMs to look at/copy.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Pixel brand is a way for Google to push new hardware concepts, hence we have high-end Chromebooks and now a high-end Android tablets, two things that nobody else is making (because they are niche). I would be all over a Pixel phone but I can't see it happening because we already have premium phones from various OEMs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stick100 posted:

That's not entirely true, people are willing to pay for premium non-apple hardware occasionally. Samsung has built such a good reputation that many are willing to pay the $600-$700 for the latest Galaxy/Note. I've met many people that say "I don't want apple, but I want the best" and they'll get Surface Books/Pros and the latest Galaxy S/Note.

I don't think it makes sense economically for Google to try to build a brand like that. Instead just keep making reference hardware for developers/the OEMs to look at/copy.

That only works when you're not interested in turning a profit. Microsoft certainly doesn't make money on their Surface line and Samsung isn't exactly crushing it either (though admittedly they are in the black which is impressive).

I'm also not saying there aren't any consumers who are willing to buy premium commodities, there just aren't a lot. In the end you're right, Google should keep doing what they're doing and making the reference hardware they need regardless of commercial viability because that's the only sensible option.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

That only works when you're not interested in turning a profit. Microsoft certainly doesn't make money on their Surface line and Samsung isn't exactly crushing it either (though admittedly they are in the black which is impressive).

Yes we agree many companies are willing to lose money on hardware to try to build a brand that it makes sense for all but a few to stay out of directly competing and let others do the fighting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Microsoft certainly doesn't make money on their Surface line

Actually, they do. Surface line had its first profitable quarter at the end of 2014 and this past quarter they cleared $1.3 bil in revenue.

There was a dip in the later half of 2015, but sales have jumped dramatically after the introduction of the SP4 and Surface Book.

Ever since the SP3, Microsoft has been hitting it out of the park in Surface sales considering their premium pricetag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I tend to view conventional wisdom pretty skeptically. My guess is that it's entirely possible to sell premium products for premium prices even when you have direct and functionally identical competition.

It's just that it requires a particular type of strategy that is out of the wheelhouse of most of the companies in the Android space right now.