Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

WickedHate posted:

Surprisingly, both Power Men aren't white, as opposed to having a primary white Power Man and a redundant PoC with the same name. Good job Marvel!

My favorite thing about the two Power Men is that one of them has about as stripped down a power set as possible ("he's strong, and also, he's tough") and the other one has some baffling (but very neat?) thing about punching psychogeography at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

I hope that everyone at Marvel has enough sense to avoid a situation where a bunch of people would describe one of their hero characters as "the white Power Man".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Archyduke posted:

My favorite thing about the two Power Men is that one of them has about as stripped down a power set as possible ("he's strong, and also, he's tough") and the other one has some baffling (but very neat?) thing about punching psychogeography at people.

Did Ewing add that, by the way? I read the original mini Vic Alvarez showed up in, and it was just 'he absorbs chi' in that. It's neat, though. Basically, fighting him in Rome or Athens is asking to get your rear end beat to the stone age, BY the stone age.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Did Ewing add that, by the way? I read the original mini Vic Alvarez showed up in, and it was just 'he absorbs chi' in that. It's neat, though. Basically, fighting him in Rome or Athens is asking to get your rear end beat to the stone age, BY the stone age.

Pretty sure Ewing added that. But at this point I'm pretty sure Ewing's written him more than any other writer so he could do whatever and nobody would really question it.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a good time to bring out this old chestnut from JLA 26:

Dwayne McDuffie was too good for this world.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shakenbaker posted:

So... exactly what powers did he have?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Skateboarding and shooting lightning, is my guess.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shakenbaker posted:

Wikipida's page on Black Lightning posted:

The original candidate for DC Comics' first headlining black superhero was a character called the Black Bomber, a white racist who would turn into a black superhero under stress, and be later described by comics historian Don Markstein as "an insult to practically everybody with any point of view at all."

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Uthor posted:

Skateboarding and shooting lightning, is my guess.

Static

Don't start none

There won't be none

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

"C.P.T."?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I looked it up. Colored person time. It's why black people are always late, or something.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shakenbaker posted:

The reason the last panel doesn't make sense is because DC cut him asking if he can say nigga when he's black

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Uthor posted:

I looked it up. Colored person time. It's why black people are always late, or something.

Ya know, when I was growing up we had "Mormon Standard Time" and "Jewish Standard Time" for those sorts of things but it sounds a LOT worse from an outsider instead of self-inclusive "if we're meeting for the campout at 8, when should we figure on actually leaving" jokes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Squizzle posted:

I hope that everyone at Marvel has enough sense to avoid a situation where a bunch of people would describe one of their hero characters as "the white Power Man".

You just made me remember my favorite villain from an immediately-forgotten comic run.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

MikeJF posted:

The reason the last panel doesn't make sense is because DC cut him asking if he can say nigga when he's black

I always just assumed she was telling him he can't call it 'CPT'.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Did not know that and it makes it even better.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Archyduke posted:

Here are some panels from Patsy Walker #4. The context is that she's having a rematch against a rookie villain she had a brief run-in with in the previous issue. Kind of weird, but there's no sadistic langouring over the pain of others on this page, and not even one rape joke. Possibly an editorial oversight, but my No-Prize explanation is that those things aren't funny!

And here's a cute bit from Power Man & Iron Fist #2:

These are good, thanks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt Spideywoman supposed to be ridiculously pregnant?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SynthOrange posted:

Isnt Spideywoman supposed to be ridiculously pregnant?

She already gave birth and now has found a great babysitter.

Because she really needs one:

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 27, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

PFlats posted:

I always just assumed she was telling him he can't call it 'CPT'.

I took it as a 'no, you absolutely can't' to just the whole package. It's just one of those things that's so absurdly objectionable that you don't really need to elaborate any further than 'no'.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

That's an actual thing, but all my white friends are also constantly late. I think I just have lovely friends.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Given the new movie this seems relevant:

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Not sure of source (old Bizarro story obviously)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Decius posted:

She already gave birth and now has found a great babysitter.

Because she really needs one:

loooooool

This speaks to me.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Squizzle posted:

loooooool

This speaks to me.

Yes. That is honest and true and amazing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Who's the baby daddy? I didn't even know she'd had a kid until seeing this.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Anonymous sperm donor. So probably will turn out to be Thanos or the Beyonder two writers down the road.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Decius posted:

Anonymous sperm donor. So probably will turn out to be Thanos or the Beyonder two writers down the road.

It'll turn out to be Marcus from Avengers #200. "But Carol, it was less creepy this way, don't you see? I hijacked your friend's womb this time! And she was okay with it! Wait why are you guys hitting me again owwww"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Decius posted:

I actually think you could tell an interesting story if turned out to be an anonymous C list villain who donated his load because he was down on his luck. Maybe he wants to be part of the kid's life, which creates drama, etc.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I actually think you could tell an interesting story if turned out to be an anonymous C list villain who donated his load because he was down on his luck. Maybe he wants to be part of the kid's life, which creates drama, etc.

Kaine Parker, for the ultimate spider-baby!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pretty obvious it was Norman Osborn.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Should I know who the non-green woman is?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doc Hawkins posted:

Patsy Walker, I think.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's Patsy Walker, AKA Hellcat, from those other pages, just in a different art style and out of costume!

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

I vote for the Shocker, the rest of the Foes could pull baby sitting duty.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That baby won't live long enough for it's sperm donor to come up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

That baby won't live long enough for it's sperm donor to come up.

Nah, if it gets to be too big a problem it'll just go to live with a foster family offscreen.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Awesome Andy posted:

I vote for the Shocker, the rest of the Foes could pull baby sitting duty.

It could even be Dormammu's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Its devil dinosaurs baby.