Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mans posted:

because i am the voice of the people. i am the voice of counters. i am the voice of more EU4 DLC. i am the voice of Rome 2.

i take it back. I take it all back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Hahah holy gently caress that post was serious. :aaaaa:

Get a pair of eyes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The real question is when is a Tabletop Simulator inspired version of HoI coming out where you issues commands by pushing the NATO counters around a table map with a crook?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Absolutely nothing would make me happier right now than the surprise removal of NATO counters.

You blew it you weirdos.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I decided to photoshop the horse to see if changing its brightness/colours would make it easier to recognize:

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
How do NATO counters add to immersion when NATO didn't exist in WW2?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PhantomZero posted:

Correct, Paradox should implement an actual map overview.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just like seeing my militant giants stomp all over the lands of my enemies.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

zedprime posted:

The real question is when is a Tabletop Simulator inspired version of HoI coming out where you issues commands by pushing the NATO counters around a table map with a crook?

I absolutely cannot loving wait for VR mapgames where you do this. Maybe not using a crook, necessarily, but standing in an actual war room with a bunch of different maps on the walls, cigar smoke filling the air, people coming and going, actually getting handed paper documents with reports and poo poo on them, junior officers celebrating at victories, the atmosphere becoming more and more grim as the enemy front moves closer and closer to your capital...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PhantomZero posted:

I think US would use similar counters before... But of course Soviet Union and Germany wouldn't.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Bundle of Keys posted:

I decided to photoshop the horse to see if changing its brightness/colours would make it easier to recognize:

Alright, I finally was able to see the horse when the colors were inverted. Prior I didn't really know what the gently caress.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
i hope they have nato counters for stellaris

e: and rome 2, when that comes out

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Finally I can say for sure that this is a mature community, given the number of people with eyesight problems.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bundle of Keys posted:

Yeah, with inverted colours you have enough contrast to actually see the horse's legs. In the regular icons the contrast is low enough and their size is small enough that unless you'll looking at the icon close up the legs just disappear and you need to double check to make sure what it is that you're looking at.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

i hope they have nato counters for stellaris

e: and rome 2, when that comes out
What is the counter for space squids?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
NATO counters rule!

:lol: at the depressed horse.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Weren't NATO counters based on existing and commonly-used symbols in France/UK/US that ultimately descended from the Napoleonic era?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Sharzak posted:

I absolutely cannot loving wait for VR mapgames where you do this. Maybe not using a crook, necessarily, but standing in an actual war room with a bunch of different maps on the walls, cigar smoke filling the air, people coming and going, actually getting handed paper documents with reports and poo poo on them, junior officers celebrating at victories, the atmosphere becoming more and more grim as the enemy front moves closer and closer to your capital...

Was it RUSE where you could actually zoom out and see the room your map was in? That'd be a cool concept to flesh out, especially if dropping your controller causes you to accidentally nuke the Bonin Islands instead of Hiroshima.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
The people ITT having a meltdown over a horse and whinging that it's some arcane symbol they can't see are hilarious.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

The people ITT having a meltdown over a horse and whinging that it's some arcane symbol they can't see are hilarious.

It's not an arcane symbol you have to decipher in order to unlock its secrets, but it tries to cram a bit too much detail for its own good. I don't mind visual counters in place of symbolic NATO ones, but them being visual markers they have to be, well, not hard to see. The others might not be as bad, I haven't looked at them closely, but the horse one at that zoom level definitely is.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

So basically: It's easy to learn that a box with a line in it represents a horse, but super-difficult to learn that a horse represents a horse.

Makes sense.

Your pixel art looks like rear end, hope that helps

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think paradox should use Russian/Warsaw-pact symbols as NATO counters are a form of imperialism.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

(Also I picked the Mao portrait we used, it made more sense to me to use an iconic picture of a well-known leader rather than a more accurate but less recognisable one)

It'd help if the portrait didn't make him look like an alien. Also I barely feel human, pre-order cancelled, console gaming etc

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Could we instead just get a unit number and coordinate readout from the game?

I would like to have to assemble a real life map of Europe with small model tanks/infantry/etc and move them with a shuffle board stick.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

It's not an arcane symbol you have to decipher in order to unlock its secrets, but it tries to cram a bit too much detail for its own good. I don't mind visual counters in place of symbolic NATO ones, but them being visual markers they have to be, well, not hard to see. The others might not be as bad, I haven't looked at them closely, but the horse one at that zoom level definitely is.

That is pretty much the only zoom level you will ever see it at on the map, as the counters don't change in size depending on zoom level.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Seriously, it's fine if you guys prefer NATO counters, but assuming that everyone in the world will find 'box with line' the most intuitive representation of a cavalry unit is pretty silly.

Mehrunes posted:

Your pixel art looks like rear end, hope that helps

I'm sure that if you work really hard at it, one day you too will be able to understand that a picture of a horse is, in fact, able to represent a horse.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
NATO counters are worse than Hitler.

This discussion is pretty dumb since, as they said many times, HOI4 will have grog counters as an option.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Seriously, it's fine if you guys prefer NATO counters, but assuming that everyone in the world will find 'box with line' the most intuitive representation of a cavalry unit is pretty silly.

But no one is saying that you shouldn't have picture icons. Or even that they shouldn't be default.

Just that NATO icons are cool.

(Also, those who use sad horse icons are illiterates who lack taste and distinction. :shobon: )

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Wiz posted:

I'm sure that if you work really hard at it, one day you too will be able to understand that a picture of a horse is, in fact, able to represent a horse.

But it doesn't have to be intuitive? You could just read what the unit is and then remember that a box with one diagonal line is cavalry :shrug:

It's about as intuitive as figuring out which silhouette you're looking at for naval units, surely?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But it doesn't have to be intuitive? You could just read what the unit is and then remember that a box with one diagonal line is cavalry :shrug:

It's about as intuitive as figuring out which silhouette you're looking at for naval units, surely?

The argument was that NATO counters are superior in every way. I find that argument silly, because it definitely takes longer to learn what combination of box/line represents what than 'horse = cavalry'. Once you learn them they're obviously fine, and there is some merit to the argument that they scale well to small sizes, but if you put someone who hasn't ever seen a NATO counter before in front of HOI4 they're gonna find the picture icons more intuitive.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think you're all glossing over the biggest problem, which is that you can't disable the awful loving models in the first place.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I hope that in any event the visual icons will be reworked where needed to be more discernible, and also that the horse one's the only one that suffers from invisible leg syndrome.

GrossMurpel posted:

I think you're all glossing over the biggest problem, which is that you can't disable the awful loving models in the first place.

The pushups though

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Wiz posted:

The argument was that NATO counters are superior in every way. I find that argument silly, because it definitely takes longer to learn what combination of box/line represents what than 'horse = cavalry'. Once you learn them they're obviously fine, and there is some merit to the argument that they scale well to small sizes, but if you put someone who hasn't ever seen a NATO counter before in front of HOI4 they're gonna find the picture icons more intuitive.

Yeah that's fair enough, and it's definitely Paradox's strength that you hide the groggy poo poo away as options.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Wiz posted:

Wiz posted:

I'm not arguing the NATO counters are superior in every way. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

The basic NATO counters, by themselves, are not more intuitive, no one denies that a picture of a horse is easier to understand as cavalry than [ / ]. But [ / ] is a much cleaner symbol than a horse icon and *in my own personal experience* the NATO icon language was easy for me to learn.

The intuitive part comes from the fact they they combine cleanly: if you see and X and O superimposed you know its mechanized, if you see an X with wheels it has trucks, and if you see an artillery dot with wheels you know it's self-propelled, etc.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Paradox Forums are coming from inside the thread!

GrossMurpel posted:

The models look totally fine though?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I liked the inverted mock-up someone posted. I think the white on brown is harder to "read" than the black on white. :shrug:

EDIT: Can I just mod the game so all the units are the push-up models? I also want to replace the mushroom cloud model with a stack of men doing push-ups instead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Drone posted:

The Paradox Forums are coming from inside the thread!

Here's a mockup of my suggested military symbology in a ready to use OOB!

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Actually, if the horse icon is hard to read, why not just adopt the knight icon from chess?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wiz posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Epinephrine posted:

Actually, if the horse icon is hard to read, why not just adopt the knight icon from chess?

It's not.