Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pakled posted:

I think it's pretty clear what direction SA's going to go in 1876. Hayes was a shitbag who ended Reconstruction and turned a blind eye to the South's suppression of African-American political rights in return for being handed the presidency, and the Democrats were involved in widespread voter intimidation against African-Americans, but Peter Cooper of the Greenback party was in favor of fiat currency, breaking up monopolies, labor rights, and Native American rights. Plus he had a glorious beard.

fiat money? well i for one am sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Pakled posted:

I think it's pretty clear what direction SA's going to go in 1876. Hayes was a shitbag who ended Reconstruction and turned a blind eye to the South's suppression of African-American political rights in return for being handed the presidency, and the Democrats were involved in widespread voter intimidation against African-Americans, but Peter Cooper of the Greenback party was in favor of fiat currency, breaking up monopolies, labor rights, and Native American rights. Plus he had a glorious beard.

The Prohibition Party ran on a platform of women's suffrage, equal rights for minorities, an end to restrictions on immigration, breaking up monopolies, making the railways and telegraph a public utility, the direct election of the President and Senators, improved labor conditions, and (obviously) the prohibition of alcohol.

They did, however, advocate for the gold standard.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

fiat money? well i for one am sold.

If you stick with the Greenbacks the two elections after that you'll find yourself voting for Southern Confederate veterans for VP: Barzillai J. Chambers in 1880 and General Absolom M. West in 1884.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QuoProQuid posted:

The Prohibition Party ran on a platform of women's suffrage, equal rights for minorities, an end to restrictions on immigration, breaking up monopolies, making the railways and telegraph a public utility, the direct election of the President and Senators, improved labor conditions, and (obviously) the prohibition of alcohol.

They did, however, advocate for the gold standard.

What's their position on freemasons

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

What I've learned in this thread: the British in the 1800s were even more racist than I previously thought.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Nebakenezzer posted:

What I've learned in this thread: the British in the 1800s were even more racist than I previously thought.

Yeah, it should make you really roll your eyes at think pieces like "perhaps if the American Revolution failed, more people would be better off, because Britain has NHS and a Parliament and that's totally better than Congress."

Like American culture diverged from British culture a lot, but some of the basic shittiest parts of both societies are shared.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

idk, Canada's pretty cool

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

idk, Canada's pretty cool

Tell that to the First Nations people!

I mean America was worse, but Canada has had its problems.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
In this thread we realise that all nations have problems and no one land, society, or people is perfect.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh yeah, I actually genuinely hate Canada's smug brand of patriotism that downplays all internal problems in favour of blaming americans, I just wanted to be a prick. Canada had a huge amount of racism toward every creed and culture but we weren't as flashy about as you guys were so therefore we're a "good" country

MarsDragon posted:

In this thread we realise that all nations have problems and no one land, society, or people is perfect.

But we can at least agree that the south is objectively the worst

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

But we can at least agree that the south is objectively the worst

On one hand if you're lucky, and don't buck the trend, you can graduate to "one of the good ones", while you're always a "friend of the family" to the north.

Like the way I've seen it is that the North was for equality in general, but against it when it became specific, while the South was more accepting of it in specific cases, but had to hold on to be against it in general.

We are all sinners.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

foobardog posted:

On one hand if you're lucky, and don't buck the trend, you can graduate to "one of the good ones", while you're always a "friend of the family" to the north.

Like the way I've seen it is that the North was for equality in general, but against it when it became specific, while the South was more accepting of it in specific cases, but had to hold on to be against it in general.

We are all sinners.

I think it's probably best explained in that the more actual black people there are around you, the more likely you are to have a black friend, but the places with the most black people tend to have the worst systemic racism. If you're not around people of any minority its much easier to other them on a personal level even if you are broadly for equality. In my limited understanding this is all applicable today at least.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jesus, talk about entrepreneurship.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think it's probably best explained in that the more actual black people there are around you, the more likely you are to have a black friend, but the places with the most black people tend to have the worst systemic racism. If you're not around people of any minority its much easier to other them on a personal level even if you are broadly for equality. In my limited understanding this is all applicable today at least.

Pretty much. Like during the 2008 primary, Obama did best in very black states and very white states. The very white states didn't have the same visceral tie to white supremacy as it was mostly academic to them, and the very black states made up for the anti-black vote by having enough black people come out to vote.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I find it a little surprising. Not the racism itself but the fact they seemed to be on the side of the confederates. By the time of the civil war, slavery had been illegal for like 80 years on British soil, the slave trade was banned in 1807 and it was banned in every colony by 1843.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

UrbicaMortis posted:

I find it a little surprising. Not the racism itself but the fact they seemed to be on the side of the confederates. By the time of the civil war, slavery had been illegal for like 80 years on British soil, the slave trade was banned in 1807 and it was banned in every colony by 1843.

I think British support was less ideological and more practical they basically saw it as a opportunity to weaken the United States plus the South was a big trade partner for them. I think I remember reading that a lot of citizens in England had problems with their government unofficially supporting a slavery nation.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

SpRahl posted:

I think British support was less ideological and more practical they basically saw it as a opportunity to weaken the United States plus the South was a big trade partner for them. I think I remember reading that a lot of citizens in England had problems with their government unofficially supporting a slavery nation.

Yeah, I wasn't shocked at the government doing it but those cartoons made it seem like widespread opinion. Maybe it was just the 19th century version of Ramirez.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

UrbicaMortis posted:

Yeah, I wasn't shocked at the government doing it but those cartoons made it seem like widespread opinion. Maybe it was just the 19th century version of Ramirez.

Puck was extremely widely read and probably among the most influential magazines in the world at its time. Tenniel had his biases, but the opinion of British elites ranged from ambivalence to outright hopes of Southern victory. Charles Dickens, famously, thought that the Civil War was caused by Northern protectionism and considered "abolitionism" just an attempt to disguise Lincoln's less admirable ambitions. Of course, the South's embrace slavery was abhorrent, but wasn't the North just as bad for allowing it for so long? And who was Lincoln to say who could and could not rule themselves? ((British colonies notwithstanding. I mean, those people were uncivilized. We're doing India a great favor through colonization.))

As you worked your way down the ladder of influence, opinion of the South (if there was any) tended to become more negative. The masses, however, don't own the press and so their opinions rarely got articulated.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpRahl posted:

Along with what everyone said about support being an opinion of the elite, Britain never officially recognized the CSA's independence, signed any treaties, or exchanged ambassadors. The Union pointedly informed the Brits that supporting the rebels would be equivalent to declaring war on them, and they would risk hostilities in Canada and a loss of the United States as a trade partner if they tried.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the fact that the South was an awesome provider of raw materials for British factories while the north was competing for the same raw materials to build up competing factories with tariffs and stuff (Brits have always been massive hypocrites about free trade, the whole cotton industry there was built out of keeping Indian cotton out of the market in the 18th century) is an economic reason for partiality, but an additional factor is that business was often personal, British traders and industrialists spent a lot of time in the South doing business and many southerners and British families that did business with each other ended up marrying into each other, and a lot of the richest and most powerful people in England were in laws to the people committing treason

diplomatic realities, as noted above, and other countervailing forces like the real pride Brits had in their own abolitionist accomplishments running counter to the open embrace of slavery as a positive good in the South were sufficient to keep them out of the war, but there were a lot of connections between the uk and the South

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Mar 24, 2016

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Pakled posted:

There's also the fact that Tilden was a good man, but would have died a year into his term.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

von Metternich posted:

There's also the fact that Tilden was a good man, but would have died a year into his term.

Almost as bad as poor Horace Greeley

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I am having a small crisis. Today, my computer went kaput, taking with it my write-up for this week as well as my access to a keyboard. While I can probably get my laptop looked at by a friend, the holiday means that I won't be able to take it in until Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. I do not know when it will be fixed.

Given this, I am conflicted on how to move forward. While I can post the results of the last election, I have no easy way of easily redoing a write-up for 1864. I see only a few options:

1. I can do the write-up on my iPad (which I am working on now) this evening. While I can probably put something together, my progress will be slow and there would likely be nothing posted until late tonight/ tomorrow morning;
2. Someone can do the write-up this week in my place. While I hate to push this on someone the Election of 1864, thankfully, has only two tickets;
3. I can put this thread on temporarily hiatus and post the 1864 poll mid-week, or whenever I find a temporary replacement for my laptop; or,
4. I can post the 1864 poll with no background material, given the likely outcome. I am hesitant to take this option because it ruins the educational aspect of the election.

If you have any recommendations, or would like to volunteer to do a write-up, please let me know. I will be checking this thread and my private messages regularly. If I don't see any replies, I will just plan to do a write-up on my mobile tonight.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Mar 27, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
That really sucks, sorry to hear it. Hope you didn't lose too much else besides the write-up.

I'm in favor of #3, nothing wrong with waiting for quality writing. Whatever works best for you, though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

3. I can put this thread on temporarily hiatus and post the 1864 poll mid-week, or whenever I find a temporary replacement for my laptop; or,
Take your time: this thread is great, your efforts are noticeable, keep it that way.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The Confederacy strikes again!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

If that's the case, let's plan for later this week. Thank you for the feedback.

Quorum posted:

The Confederacy strikes again!

p. sure it was the freemason menace

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I vote #3 as well. Better to wait and get quality than rush.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
#3's definitely the best option. Take your time, do whatever you need to do.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Go with number 3 amigo, take your time :)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
#3 Padre, you've done so much you deserve a break, even if the circumstances are less than ideal.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

p. sure it was the freemason menace

The freemasons conspired with the slaveholding south, the papists, and other anti-American groups to destroy this wonderful nation John Adams, Father of the Nation and Alexander Hamilton (pbuh) worked to create.

Also, take your time, yeah, this is a great thread and that isn't going to change because of some technical issues slowing it down.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good thing we're almost to Reconstruction

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Aliquid posted:

Good thing we're almost to Reconstruction

I really wonder if we have any options for a different VP than Johnson for Lincoln in 64. Was there any way to keep Hamlin on the ticket?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Take your time. We'll be patient. (Mostly).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Take your time, man. It's cool.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Thump! posted:

I really wonder if we have any options for a different VP than Johnson for Lincoln in 64. Was there any way to keep Hamlin on the ticket?

especially pre-atlanta the context was such that a democrat had to be on the ticket for any hope of succeeding. i think. i mean we'll get a write-up soon enough

i think in hindsight people really overestimate the degree to which this war was foreordained. a lot of people in the north really, really, really didn't like the abolitionist turn things took and also didn't want to die gotta die gotta die for your government die for your country that's poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkANvtxLoY

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm glad I knew that was anti flag before I clicked the YouTube link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you were following the national politics of the country, you'd probably see the war coming. I mean, very few people would actually expect the south to make good on the threats to secede that they've been shooting out for years, but clearly things are getting more and more intense and are coming to a head. And of course, there's lots of quotes from people that certainly sound like they're forecasting the civil war, but they probably meant more just vague trouble.

The average man on the street who doesn't follow national politics wouldn't really see it coming at all, and that's probably the bulk of the population at this point, but every year national politics are becoming more important, especially with the rail system.

This is probably the most important election in US history, so it seems fair for it to get some extra time to marinate.

• Locked thread