Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Bully was always my favourite GTA-style game because it has characters you could actually like. I never liked Tommy Vercetti, CJ was OK but his brother was a toxic idiot dragging him down constantly, and Nico was just boring. Bully was the only one that had a happy ending for all the characters that deserved one, the side villains got comeuppance if you did their sidequests (Math teacher and Gym teacher) and Gary was a great villain. Especially the moment near the end of the gamer where Petey points out "Hey, we haven't heard from Gary in a long time. Maybe we should be keeping a closer eye on him? We have no idea what he's been up to for the last month and... oh dear. The end of the game just happened. Whoops."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ignimbrite posted:

The javelin gun is the most satisfyling brutal gun in a game full of satisfying guns.

It's one of the most satisfying guns in all of gaming, in my opinion. In the last Dead Space game, you could also make a pistol that shot explosive bolts (like the kind fighter pilots use to blow off their hatch during an ejection). It was fun filling an enemies legs with a clip, then detonating the bolts and having them ricochet around.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
Honestly any game where you can stick enormous amounts of explosives to people and blow them all to hilarious effect is great. I did this back in Star Wars: Jedi Knight, but it was even better in Saints' Row 3 where you could just load like 10 satchel charges on someone and then send their ragdoll pinwheeling into the sky. :science:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A major gameplay mechanic in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is genociding various species of monsters. The little thing is that it takes effort to make sense. For example, there are two different monsters with different names that are clearly different ages of the same thunder-eating monkey thing, and as you'd logically expect but maybe not expect a game to bother with, they share a species count and the miniboss you fight as the last one of their species is always the adult even in a location where only the younger ones spawn.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

BlueKingBar posted:

Honestly any game where you can stick enormous amounts of explosives to people and blow them all to hilarious effect is great. I did this back in Star Wars: Jedi Knight, but it was even better in Saints' Row 3 where you could just load like 10 satchel charges on someone and then send their ragdoll pinwheeling into the sky. :science:

My buddy says he might be able to finally run the game. I'm looking forward to co-op shenanigans with him at last. :getin:

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

graybook posted:

My buddy says he might be able to finally run the game. I'm looking forward to co-op shenanigans with him at last. :getin:

If you're gonna get the game for co-op shenanigans, 4 might be more up your alley. You get super powers and poo poo and the game has way more modding support from it (google IdolNinja). Also 4 is basically just an expansion pack for 3, it's got a borderline identical game engine, right down to the minimap and character designer.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

BlueKingBar posted:

If you're gonna get the game for co-op shenanigans, 4 might be more up your alley. You get super powers and poo poo and the game has way more modding support from it (google IdolNinja). Also 4 is basically just an expansion pack for 3, it's got a borderline identical game engine, right down to the minimap and character designer.

I'm a lover of the series and own 2, 3, 4, and Gat Out of Hell, but I appreciate the thought. I'm just eager to play with him since we wanted to a while back. But on the same token, there are parts of 3 I love more for certain reasons, and it'll be good to get back to Steelport without the super powers, as in 4 I felt the driving was made useless whenever you could dash and fly everywhere, for one thing.
The Tron car in 3 looked so sweet and it'll be fun to use that puppy again.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

Cornering the single gay kid in school and making out with him for an entire day to get the achievement :cool:

There are multiple gay/bi dudes in Bully. At least one in each clique, I think.

Bully is a great game, you can intentionally fail to do a flip while riding a bike, and it will launch the bike flying. One time I hit a cop car with my flying bike and didn't get in trouble.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

graybook posted:

it'll be good to get back to Steelport without the super powers, as in 4 I felt the driving was made useless whenever you could dash and fly everywhere

Couldn't agree more, not to mention Steelport actually looks, you know, not cyberpunk + grimdark. Just figured I'd try to help if you weren't familiar with the co-op end of things. :shrug:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

BlueKingBar posted:

Honestly any game where you can stick enormous amounts of explosives to people and blow them all to hilarious effect is great. I did this back in Star Wars: Jedi Knight

It's actually a speed run tactic.

(Whole thing is definitely worth the watch if you like speed runs and/or quirky early FPS engines.)

Jehde has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Mar 27, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

BlueKingBar posted:

Couldn't agree more, not to mention Steelport actually looks, you know, not cyberpunk + grimdark. Just figured I'd try to help if you weren't familiar with the co-op end of things. :shrug:

I do appreciate it all the same, and I apologize for my tone. Kinda wish I'd been able to do all of 4 in co-op since the game kept glitching on one mission with my partner. Real shame since we'd done 3 together too.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Something else I like in Mad Max is the upgrades are great. Very meaty progression for Max and the Magnum Opus both, especially if you are a car guy and ever wanted to see what a demolition derby could be if elevated to a gladiator combat arena sport. The in-game almanac is voiced by your zealously loyal henchback igor-like, and my favorite upgrade description of his is for the level one armor upgrade, which visually adds a single rail above each wheel well.

Baby Bars
"Single rail huh? Almost like we seek to protect our most beloved from the many defilers of these wasted lands. Almost like we cared about our Magnum Opus."

Chum bucket does not care for unnecessary repairs it would seem hahaha.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Lego Jurassic World, like the other Lego games, has basically every single character from its franchise unlockable. Unlike the others, there's no hub that you select missions from, so in addition to buying characters from a menu, you can also find them on the islands during free-roam, usually where they got killed - the lawyer is in the bathroom near the T. rex paddock, Nedry is in his car down in a muddy wrong-way turn, the family of the little girl who got attacked by Compys at the start of Lost World is on Isla Sorna's dock, and the parasailer in JP3 is stuck up a tree until you cut him down (fortunately not skeletonized).

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Olaf The Stout posted:

Something else I like in Mad Max is the upgrades are great. Very meaty progression for Max and the Magnum Opus both, especially if you are a car guy and ever wanted to see what a demolition derby could be if elevated to a gladiator combat arena sport. The in-game almanac is voiced by your zealously loyal henchback igor-like, and my favorite upgrade description of his is for the level one armor upgrade, which visually adds a single rail above each wheel well.

Baby Bars
"Single rail huh? Almost like we seek to protect our most beloved from the many defilers of these wasted lands. Almost like we cared about our Magnum Opus."

Chum bucket does not care for unnecessary repairs it would seem hahaha.

For *lovely* repairs. Get some real bars.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Games that give you concept art or just some sort of wallpaper as a reward for achievements or trophies.

Example: Star Wars gives you amazing art for almost every achievement while R6 Siege gives you these dinky rear end icons of a grenade or a string of bullets.

I know I'll probably catch flak from people who say "why give a poo poo about this?" but if you want folks to care give them something cool to work for.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Beastie posted:

Games that give you concept art or just some sort of wallpaper as a reward for achievements or trophies.

Example: Star Wars gives you amazing art for almost every achievement while R6 Siege gives you these dinky rear end icons of a grenade or a string of bullets.

I know I'll probably catch flak from people who say "why give a poo poo about this?" but if you want folks to care give them something cool to work for.

I didn't particularly like Mass Effect, but I loved that the game gave you in-game bonuses for getting achievements. Wish more games did that.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I didn't particularly like Mass Effect, but I loved that the game gave you in-game bonuses for getting achievements. Wish more games did that.

Offhand Metal Gear Solid 5 does this and they tend to be pretty substantial.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Morpheus posted:

Alpha Protocol elevated it to an art form.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Alpha Protocol elevated it to an art form.

Dude, truth. Offhand the most memorable one is the Switzerland perk, which you get if you are precisely neutral with everybody. There were some other great ones but I've only played it once when it came out on console.

I remember maxing my beard out, getting the swamp hat and aviator shades, and using the James Bond dialog every single time I could against every woman in the game. If I remember right only the dorky galpal handler from the intro is into my relentless swamphat cornball game, but every other woman thinks you are an idiot, mentally damaged, or a complete pussy. Game of its year.

Edit: added charm bonus: your enormous swamp hat and stupid-huge beard clip through all kinds of poo poo in cutscenes it's great.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Apr 1, 2016

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Dude, truth. Offhand the most memorable one is the Switzerland perk, which you get if you are precisely neutral with everybody. There were some other great ones but I've only played it once when it came out on console.

I remember maxing my beard out, getting the swamp hat and aviator shades, and using the James Bond dialog every single time I could against every woman in the game. If I remember right only the dorky galpal handler from the intro is into my relentless swamphat cornball game, but every other woman thinks you are an idiot, mentally damaged, or a complete pussy. Game of its year.

Edit: added charm bonus: your enormous swamp hat and stupid-huge beard clip through all kinds of poo poo in cutscenes it's great.

Every game I need to have the huge wilderness beard, aviators, and swamp hat. I especially like that the majority of the time using the suave option makes the women really put off and frustrated with you.

The best perk I achieved in the game was following the sniper mission, where essentially the send the whole thing scanning targets to see if they are the guy you are looking for, and then choosing to assassinate him or not.
You can easily pass the level without firing a single shot.
I figured it'd be worth trying to shoot everyone there, which is really hard as you need to take out security guards before they make it to alarm panels which fails the mission.
The reward? a perk about how you 'accidentally' shot some innocents, and how you are great because you don't waste time identifying targets - here have a 20% discount on all ammo from now on, you obviously need it.

It's also fantastic that you get a different set of bonuses, sometimes way better, if you have spent all of your time making your mission handler really hate you.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If I recall correctly there's even a different outcome/bonus if you shoot the dude you're there for before scanning him because you've played it before and don't want to wait around for the dialogue.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

My favorite villian in my megabeard autistic swamphat James Bond-wanna-be playhrough was Conrad... something? The main dude in Rome. He by far was the most psychologically damaged by my relentless corny dad jokes. Conrad is a local leader of an international mega-evil corporate conspiracy blah blah blah. What's great about him is he is a robotic professional but has no empathy or understanding of people. He promotes the wrong people all the time because he can't read them and talks like dorky competent robot, but he is an amazing agent and field worker. Basically he got promoted above his competency level, which shows how good obsidian writers are.

Anyway this dude was emotionally destroyed by my relentless assault of puns, cocky bluffs, and embarrassingly unfunny jokes. He hated me so much, that as his plans exploded all around him, he abandoned his professional "live again to fight another day" mentality to fistfight me in an exploding museum. With tears of rage in his eyes. Too bad the game is broken and I chain-headshot him 12 times before he could move, like I do to every boss in the game.

You can pun his eulogy and bone his daughter. I didn't bone her though because she was so offput by my relentless pun-nyness that she fled the safe room when I announced her fathers death with a pun and I never saw her again.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Apr 1, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Olaf The Stout posted:

My favorite villian in my megabeard autistic swamphat James Bond-wanna-be playhrough was Conrad... something? The main dude in Rome. He by far was the most psychologically damaged by my relentless corny dad jokes. Conrad is a local leader of an international mega-evil corporate conspiracy blah blah blah. What's great about him is he is a robotic professional but has no empathy or understanding of people. He promotes the wrong people all the time because he can't read them and talks like dorky competent robot, but he is an amazing agent and field worker. Basically he got promoted above his competency level, which shows how good obsidian writers are.

Anyway this dude was emotionally destroyed by my relentless assault of puns, cocky bluffs, and embarrassingly unfunny jokes. He hated me so much, that as his plans exploded all around him, he abandoned his professional "live again to fight another day" mentality to fistfight me in an exploding museum. With tears of rage in his eyes. Too bad the game is broken and I chain-headshot him 12 times before he could move, like I do to every boss in the game.

You can pun his eulogy and bone his daughter. I didn't bone her though because she was so offput by my relentless pun-nyness that she fled the safe room when I announced her fathers death with a pun and I never saw her again.

This goon knows how to play AP and this belongs in the "Before I Play" thread.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Everything I hear about AP makes it sounds less like James Bond: The Game and more like Archer: The Game.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

The best thing about it is that it is both and more.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, in order to get him to fight you, you not only have to be snarky and sarcastic to him all the time, you have to actually be that kind of character. If you normally pick other stuff and just go full smug on him, he recognizes that you're just trying to bait him and will still pull out.

But if you get him to fight you? Ohhhh, man.

"I will end you, Thorton."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't played another game where characters actually responded to who you were so noticeably. They even notice inconsistencies in how you act.

Too bad about the whole game part though.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Apr 1, 2016

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Digirat posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't modded that part out yet.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

If you'll note the entire gameplay experience I posted boils down to " you can chain headshot every boss in the game to death instantly". If you don't do it as a dialogue choice. It basically varies by a few different button presses, but by the first 1/3 off the game you can pause, point at something, blow cooldowns, and it will be dead. Think Mega-Vats. Just put points into pistol and play it like an RPG.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Mike and Sean, gently caress YEAH!!!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Does Alpha Protocol still have the bug where if you took off your body armor and put it back on, it'd be fully restored?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Digirat posted:

I haven't played another game where characters actually responded to who you were so noticeably. They even notice inconsistencies in how you act.

Also the proud Obsidian tradition of having a terrible final level, compounded by the fact that the ending is going to be borderline incomprehensible half the time based on your choices.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

graybook posted:

Mike and Sean, gently caress YEAH!!!

With three exclamation points.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Guy Mann posted:

Also the proud Obsidian tradition of having a terrible final level, compounded by the fact that the ending is going to be borderline incomprehensible half the time based on your choices.

And despite the broken gameplay, the horrible skillcheck minigames, and a number of scenario bugs it is still one of my favorite RPGs.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Alpha protocol is the reason I'm stoked as all gently caress for Tyranny coming out.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Byzantine posted:

Lego Jurassic World, like the other Lego games, has basically every single character from its franchise unlockable. Unlike the others, there's no hub that you select missions from, so in addition to buying characters from a menu, you can also find them on the islands during free-roam, usually where they got killed - the lawyer is in the bathroom near the T. rex paddock, Nedry is in his car down in a muddy wrong-way turn, the family of the little girl who got attacked by Compys at the start of Lost World is on Isla Sorna's dock, and the parasailer in JP3 is stuck up a tree until you cut him down (fortunately not skeletonized).

The free-roam hubs for JP2 and JP3 are also technically part of the same hub, just inaccessible from each other (because they're both set on different bits of Isla Sorna). The map routes are based on a combination of official and fan made maps plotting both sets of characters' routes.

Also of note: Mr.DNA is an unlockable character, and is voiced by Colin Trevorrow - the director of Jurassic World.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
There is something about Alpha Protocol that being an overpowered fuckwit feels really hilarious and fun and doesn't feel empty like getting too strong in any other game.

Turn invisible, sprint it, kick or neck stab 8 dudes who are all in plain sight of eachother, freeze time, shoot 12 more guys in the head simultaneously, then do a sprinting knee to the face on any guy left alive. It's like being the predator.

Once you are good enough you can one hit kill headshot people with the pistol brom behind cover, where you just pop your gun out and blast them without looking.

You can kick open any door dramatically, and it seems to have no mechanical use.

The first time I played I turned off the (ingame) TV that was giving me my first mission briefing the instant my boss started talking to me and went '....ok gently caress what do I do?'

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

theshim posted:

Yeah, in order to get him to fight you, you not only have to be snarky and sarcastic to him all the time, you have to actually be that kind of character. If you normally pick other stuff and just go full smug on him, he recognizes that you're just trying to bait him and will still pull out.

But if you get him to fight you? Ohhhh, man.

"I will end you, Thorton."

This works in reverse too! If you're cool and level-headed, with a reputation as such, but get angry at him during the museum level he will be insufferably smug and taunt you for getting under your skin. Jim Cummings did an incredible job with the voice acting on that guy.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've played AP all the way through and I had no idea the scenarios changed depending on your responses, I thought it just changed what they'd say to you. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a reason "poo poo, you can do that?!" was the thread motto for a while. :v: