Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That level of bullshit is pretty funny in player matches. They've clearly had to deal with your strategy before.

The battle maison bullshit is less funny. Oh, your quick claw procced 3 times in a row rhydon? What a shock. I totally believe this extraordinarily unlikely thing occurred naturally. The 2 misses on a 90% leaf storm were just a coincidence too I'm sure.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Great Beer posted:

That level of bullshit is pretty funny in player matches. They've clearly had to deal with your strategy before.

The battle maison bullshit is less funny. Oh, your quick claw procced 3 times in a row rhydon? What a shock. I totally believe this extraordinarily unlikely thing occurred naturally. The 2 misses on a 90% leaf storm were just a coincidence too I'm sure.

Welcome to Battle Mansion hell. I've been here for the past month, can't cross the drat 50-battle win streak without a 'mon busting out a bullshit attack or an unusually long status effect

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I missed out on the Celebi distribution by a day because I wasn't aware of it in time, which is annoying.

On the other hand, I have a Celebi already and I just managed to catch a Jolly 29/31/31/4/24/31 Terrakion, which seems good to me. So things are going well enough I guess. I should really put the rest of this long weekend to better use...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Parrotine posted:

Welcome to Battle Mansion hell. I've been here for the past month, can't cross the drat 50-battle win streak without a 'mon busting out a bullshit attack or an unusually long status effect

My best run has been with modest starmie running trick with a choice scarf, mega kangaskahn, and a scizor. Trick anything that looks like it might try to status or set up, kill anything else. Once starmie goes down, sweep with megakahn with fake out/sucker punch/return, and clean up with scizor.

No status shenanigans, mostly 100 accuracy attacks. Just have to hit hard and fast. Only thing I'd change is probably starmie. It's got good coverage but it's a bit fragile. A beefier trick scarf lead would remove the occasional ohko.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I haven't played a pokemon game since Crystal but for some reason now I've got the itch to let it absorb my soul again. Should I pick up ORAS or XY? I don't really care about online battles and what not, just miss roaming around hunting those little bastards.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kizurue posted:

I haven't played a pokemon game since Crystal but for some reason now I've got the itch to let it absorb my soul again. Should I pick up ORAS or XY? I don't really care about online battles and what not, just miss roaming around hunting those little bastards.

XY. It was made for newcomers and returning players.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Is there any point in leveling my Mons past 50 in batttle? They keep the same bonus from IVs and EVs that they would at 50 regardless right?

Good point
VVVVV

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 27, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Is there any point in leveling my Mons past 50 in batttle? They keep the same bonus from IVs and EVs that they would at 50 regardless right?

Learning moves, battling high-level campaign enemies.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Great Beer posted:

That reminds me, do insta-ko moves like Sheer Cold or Fissure work if you proc Quick Claw? Cause I know they only work if you're faster, but dunno if Quick Claw helps with that.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Kikas posted:

That reminds me, do insta-ko moves like Sheer Cold or Fissure work if you proc Quick Claw? Cause I know they only work if you're faster, but dunno if Quick Claw helps with that.

Their being tied to speed was only a gen 1 thing as far as i am aware.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yah, now it's just a flat 30% chance.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

PSWII60 posted:

Their being tied to speed was only a gen 1 thing as far as i am aware.
It was gen 2 also, I think. I remember way back in Silver I had something with Horn Drill that just kept knocking em down.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yah, now it's just a flat 30% chance.

Nope, it increases the lower level the enemy is, 30% is just the minimum amount of accuracy the moves can have if you use them on an enemy that is the same level or higher than your pokemon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you use it on an enemy that's higher level, it auto fails. :ssh:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Every Japanese person I've fought has wrecked me so hard, what are they feeding them over there?

About a month after XY, you could literally buy battle-strategy textbooks in bookstores in almost any major city. I haven't kept up with it since I didn't run the competitive racket during ORAS' height, but I presume updated ones were released then as well.

Basically after 5 straight years of US players taking the Worlds victories, and then a Korean taking 2014, they stepped up their game dramatically as a community in Gen 6. :v:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Are Shiny Values still a thing? I'd love to make a Gigalith shiny, but I've been out of the loop for a couple months and don't know if you can still check SV on ORAS.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Now I have a good Cobalion too (Jolly 31/28/20/0/31/31). That was easy, didn't even take an hour.

I need to crunch the numbers to work out the probabilities on exceeding particular statlines, it would be useful information to have when in the middle of soft resetting and wondering how difficult it would be to go better than a given specimen.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Someone earlier mentioned that they should have stage 3 eeveelutions in Gen 7. I was thinking that all the most popular pokemon are the ones that evolve into strange furry men like Blaziken, Sceptile, Garchomp and Lucario. So why not have the eeveelutions evolve into humanoids?

I think this idea would be like crack for the weird man child demographic and make the games an instant hit.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

CJ posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that they should have stage 3 eeveelutions in Gen 7. I was thinking that all the most popular pokemon are the ones that evolve into strange furry men like Blaziken, Sceptile, Garchomp and Lucario. So why not have the eeveelutions evolve into humanoids?

I think this idea would be like crack for the weird man child demographic and make the games an instant hit.

Sceptile and Garchomp are bipedal, but they are not humanoid.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CJ posted:

No thank you.

Eviolite Umbreon would destroy us all.

Is Vaporeon still considered a good eeveelution? I used one in showdown for a while and it did pretty well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No thank you.

Eviolite Umbreon would destroy us all.

Is Vaporeon still considered a good eeveelution? I used one in showdown for a while and it did pretty well.

Yeah, Vaporeon and Sylveon are the best followed by Magic Bounce Espeon and Jolteon.

Umbreon and Leafeon are usable but not great. Glaceon and Flareon are extremely niche and pretty bad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Umbreon's big problem is that it's slow Taunt bait. It can run Foul Play to potentially deal some respectable damage, but it's still not fantastic.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

Are Shiny Values still a thing? I'd love to make a Gigalith shiny, but I've been out of the loop for a couple months and don't know if you can still check SV on ORAS.

Yeah, shiny values are still checkable on both ORAS and X/Y.

I like Kaisonic's fork of KeySav2 for all my egg checking needs, but you may need a different method if you have a physical cartridge or no SD card reader.

Once you figure out your egg's SV, SVeX.db is a quick way to search for matches. It searches /r/SVEchange by default, and has an option to also search the Japanese twitter SV share sheet and the Gamefaqs one in addition.

I use SVExchange and have only had good experiences with them. The type of egg next to a hatcher's name indicates how many shines they've hatched for other people, anywhere from 1 shiny to 100+ shinies. You do have to offer to hatch for your own TSV in exchange, but for just one TSV, you get asked to hatch pretty rarely. I haven't tried the Japanese and Gamefaqs sheets.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vaporeon is pretty bad with no perma rain. Suicune, Slowbro, Jellicent and Slowking are all better bulky waters. Jolteon is also pretty bad now that there are a bunch of Megas that outspeed it and the Hidden Power nerf means it has even weaker coverage than it did before.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I want to play through X again, but I'd also like to use a Noibat/Noivern during my playthrough instead of waiting until the end of the game for him.

Before I go wasting my time, I have a quick question. Can eggs be transferred into the Pokemon bank? I'm weird and prefer for my monsters to have my OT/ID number, but if the bank can't transfer eggs, I'm not going to waste time breeding for a egg to hatch.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No bank eggs

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Well, shoot.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What's the best way to get good at pokemon?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tired Moritz posted:

Believe in the heart of the cards.

Edit: or, if you're being serious here, start with Smogon http://www.smogon.com/ They have a lot of good information for beginners.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dexie posted:

I want to play through X again, but I'd also like to use a Noibat/Noivern during my playthrough instead of waiting until the end of the game for him.

Before I go wasting my time, I have a quick question. Can eggs be transferred into the Pokemon bank? I'm weird and prefer for my monsters to have my OT/ID number, but if the bank can't transfer eggs, I'm not going to waste time breeding for a egg to hatch.

You can't bank eggs, but you can trade them. Send it to a friend, then have them trade it back to you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Practice and diligent study.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Believe in the heart of the cards.

Edit: or, if you're being serious here, start with Smogon http://www.smogon.com/ They have a lot of good information for beginners.

Speaking as someone who vastly prefers Smogon's 6v6 singles (using 6 pokemon, one active at a time) to VGC or other formats, its worth noting that the actual games do not encourage this format online and the official competitive format is 4v4 doubles and the pokemon which are useful in each format - even disregarding stupid poo poo like Alpha Groudon - varies wildly. If you're more interested in Nintendo-sponsored events, I suggest you check out Nugget Bridge http://nuggetbridge.com/

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I don't understand why doubles is the official format, I don't feel like they're particularly iconic.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I don't understand why doubles is the official format, I don't feel like they're particularly iconic.

I don't either, is there an actual explanation for this or is it just Gamefreak being Gamefreak?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Faster. 4v4 Doubles are between 2 and 12 turns at max generally.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Emalde posted:

Faster. 4v4 Doubles are between 2 and 12 turns at max generally.

Yeah I don't think it's been officially stated, but 4v4 doubles is much, much faster and I'd be shocked if that wasn't one of the primary reasons (if not the biggest one) it's the official format. There's also more visibly going on which makes the game easier to commentate with spectators in mind - in 6v6 singles, there's a large burden of knowledge for the spectators when commentators talk about potential switches and double switches, but in 4v4 doubles half the pokemon are on the field at any given time and there's more information immediately available.

I think it should be 6v6 doubles at the very least but oh well I'm not nintendo, and I have plenty of ways to play the way I want available.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I asked this before but since the conversation has turned to competitive again, maybe this is a good time to ask a second time.

How do you take a 6v6 smogon team and break it down to 3v3 battle spot singles? What do people usually consider as mandatory roles in 3v3? Like for example, is there no point in a stallbreaker because no one does 3v3 stall?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
When you have team preview I just pick the 3 best mons with synergy that can reliably combat most of the enemy team

Also, always bring along something that fights Talonflame and Kangaskhan

I don't know, most of my metagame competitive mons are outdated by like 2-3 years but I still like using them

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Great Beer posted:

My best run has been with modest starmie running trick with a choice scarf, mega kangaskahn, and a scizor. Trick anything that looks like it might try to status or set up, kill anything else. Once starmie goes down, sweep with megakahn with fake out/sucker punch/return, and clean up with scizor.

No status shenanigans, mostly 100 accuracy attacks. Just have to hit hard and fast. Only thing I'd change is probably starmie. It's got good coverage but it's a bit fragile. A beefier trick scarf lead would remove the occasional ohko.

I might try something like this later today.

Right now I switched to using a Mega Khan/Suicune/Gliscor set, and to be frank Suicune feels like the weakest link in the lineup. Maybe I'll switch it up with my roided-up Clefable or something else with trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

I don't know but IMO doubles is more interesting than singles, there's a lot more possibilities for what can happen when it's combinations of two pokemon facing off against each other. I agree 6v6 doubles would be fun though

• Locked thread