Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I think this was my favorite Smallop since the Flying Pinto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I've found that smallops are very hit or miss but yeah this oen was great

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

PantsOptional posted:

Today's Dollop is pretty great if you're at all familiar with Marblehead, which is only marginally less lovely now than it was during the time of this Dollop. Their police log is rather telling on this front, as a number of the calls to the police can be boiled down to "I saw a brown person, please help."

A friend of mine is a dispatcher there - they refer to their job as the "complaint department". You are on the money about the police blotter, it's a riot, especially compared to Salem and Lynn which are right down the road.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
I really enjoy these more modern-set Dollops. I was losing it during the muffler incident. I knew about Charles Harrelson, but I didn't know how weird the story got.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked how confused Gary was by charity.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Finally caught up to this show, I just wanted to say that the episode on nude swimming was loving hilarious because there's a weird niche fetish called "clothed female nude male" which is fairly self-explanatory and naked swimming stories are a huge part of that. So at the end when they talk about reading stories of men who grew up in that era being "traumatized" at swimming naked around girls they were basically reading a bunch of jerkoff material and taking it uncritically as fact :laffo:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I'm thinking of submitting a couple of episode ideas. What's the deal, just send a link to wiki with a note "check out this sick poo poo", or do a proper effort mail?

Wasn't it a Goon submission for the ep about the trans car designer scammer?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I liked how confused Gary was by charity.

He was confused by how they were phrasing it. It's not really an auction if nothing is being sold, it's a charity fundraiser or something. Gary was just being very... Literal about word choice.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

rotinaj posted:

He was confused by how they were phrasing it. It's not really an auction if nothing is being sold, it's a charity fundraiser or something. Gary was just being very... Literal about word choice.

To be fair, it's an incredibly roundabout way to do a fundraiser that only makes sense when you remember America used to be on some real Alice in Wonderland poo poo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To be fair, it's an incredibly roundabout way to do a fundraiser that only makes sense when you remember America used to be on some real Alice in Wonderland poo poo

Yeah, there's a reason so much of the dollop episodes center on 1800s America. It was completely hosed mentally and would be alien to a modern American before world war 1.

(Not that we're any better now, just different)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

no, we're better

we don't literally own people any more and by and large don't treat abrahamic text as history, not to mention sophistication in medical practices and hygiene

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

no, we're better

we don't literally own people any more and by and large don't treat abrahamic text as history, not to mention sophistication in medical practices and hygiene

Debt slavery, for-profit prison systems, police brutality, sovereign citizens, megachurches, anti-vaxxers, homeopathy.

America has always been hosed up, will always be hosed up. The specifics will change, but America has issues and always will.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

rotinaj posted:

Debt slavery, for-profit prison systems, police brutality, sovereign citizens, megachurches, anti-vaxxers, homeopathy.

These were all problems in the 1800s besides arguably vaxxers, and I'm sure there were people arguing against any medical treatment as against gods plan oh wait yes there was since they literally just did that smallpox smollop

Seriously arguing that we are not better now than the years in which it was legal to send your ten year old to work in the coal mines for twelve hours a day for literal pennies on the dollar is absurd

It's an absurd nonsense argument rooted in an irrational cynicism

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, just because we're terrible now doesn't mean we weren't worse before.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

These were all problems in the 1800s besides arguably vaxxers, and I'm sure there were people arguing against any medical treatment as against gods plan oh wait yes there was since they literally just did that smallpox smollop

Seriously arguing that we are not better now than the years in which it was legal to send your ten year old to work in the coal mines for twelve hours a day for literal pennies on the dollar is absurd

It's an absurd nonsense argument rooted in an irrational cynicism

Found the problem.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Calm down and enjoy a nice lighthearted dollop about syphilis

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm glad Dave knows some of us would support him living next to a hobo fire though.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm thinking of submitting a couple of episode ideas. What's the deal, just send a link to wiki with a note "check out this sick poo poo", or do a proper effort mail?

Wasn't it a Goon submission for the ep about the trans car designer scammer?

Yeah, I emailed them at thedolloppodcast@gmail.com with a blurb about the Dale and a link to a Jalopnik story. Took them about a month to get back to me (just a quick thank-you note), and the story ran shortly thereafter.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

rotinaj posted:

America has always been hosed up, will always be hosed up. The specifics will change, but America has issues and always will.

At least it's not China.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I just started listening to this podcast after being linked to it from somewhere. I've been going from the newest one back, but that one about the FedEx Flight. :stonk: Otherwise it has been great so far and I do like the way the hosts drop into a sort of routine at times.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

DemonTrigger posted:

I just started listening to this podcast after being linked to it from somewhere. I've been going from the newest one back, but that one about the FedEx Flight. :stonk: Otherwise it has been great so far and I do like the way the hosts drop into a sort of routine at times.

You have got some amazing poo poo ahead of you, friendo.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Like most sane people, I've entertained the idea of what it'd be like going back in time to the 1800s. I no longer wonder about that thanks to the Dollop. The whole century sounds absolutely loving terrifying. Actually, the 1700s and the 1900s do too. Everything is bad. Don't brush your teeth with gravel and don't use loving radioactive paste! Jesus!

The Dollop, a fun podcast that'll make you sad and horrified. Thanks for introducing me to it, thread.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 18, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Donnerberg posted:

Like most sane people, I've entertained the idea of what it'd be like going back in time to the 1800s. I no longer wonder about that thanks to the Dollop. The whole century sounds absolutely loving terrifying. Actually, the 1700s and the 1900s do too. Everything is bad. Don't brush your teeth with gravel and don't use loving radioactive paste! Jesus!

The Dollop, a fun podcast that'll make you sad and horrified. Thanks for introducing me to it, thread.

It makes you wonder how insane we will seem two hundred years from now.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

And More posted:

It makes you wonder how insane we will seem two hundred years from now.

Actually from listening to the dollop I just learned how predictably terrible people are.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
Compared to how history is usually taught, listening to most of The Dollop really gives a better idea of what life was actually like. Sure most of the topics are chosen because they seem crazy by modern standards, but it also covers things in ways that most other histories don't. There seems like a lot more focus on the early lives of the subject, rather than mostly focusing on when they became famous/notorious, and also contemporary public accounts and information from others personally involved in the story.

History as it's usually taught generally seems to focus narrowly on events and accomplishments. You may learn about some national shame like the Trail of Tears, but you tend to miss out on the mundane awfulness, chaos, ignorance, etc. of everyday life before modernity that the Dollop conveys.

It really dispels the notion that living at any time in the distant past would be anything but horrible.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
is this a good ep cuz it feels like whenever they're live they just get way too tryhard and have even more flubbed joke attempts

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TheFallenEvincar posted:

is this a good ep cuz it feels like whenever they're live they just get way too tryhard and have even more flubbed joke attempts

Yes. I'm sad they didn't have a live guest. Maybe they will have one lined up for the Chicago shows.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. I'm sad they didn't have a live guest. Maybe they will have one lined up for the Chicago shows.

They had a live guest. He had some good lines. The episode was funny, but the audience was pretty bad, and shouted a lot of poo poo at the stage.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Mr Hootington posted:

The one from last night at Lincoln Hall was Patton.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

rotinaj posted:

They had a live guest. He had some good lines. The episode was funny, but the audience was pretty bad, and shouted a lot of poo poo at the stage.

to be fair this was all down to one hilariously wasted woman

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

abraham linksys posted:

I thought the audience interactions in this episode were funny. Unlike the Australian episode where Dave sounds like he wants to beat the poo poo out of a guy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

abraham linksys posted:

It was two actually, I know because I was standing right next to them. Great show. (It was actually, despite them!)

Did anybody go to the second show? What was the topic?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DemonTrigger posted:

I just started listening to this podcast after being linked to it from somewhere. I've been going from the newest one back, but that one about the FedEx Fight. :stonk: Otherwise it has been great so far and I do like the way the hosts drop into a sort of routine at times.

Fixed that for you.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Apparently Dave is shutting down his Facebook account for a while, and there's going to be a slow down in new episodes. Is this because Patton Oswalt's wife passed away?

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

oh dope posted:

Apparently Dave is shutting down his Facebook account for a while, and there's going to be a slow down in new episodes. Is this because Patton Oswalt's wife passed away?

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
He said on Twitter he can't look at the pictures. Totally understandable I think.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

GlenMR posted:

He said on Twitter he can't look at the pictures. Totally understandable I think.

What pictures?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Riptor posted:

What pictures?

Pictures of Patton Oswalt's late wife, I guess.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Drunkboxer posted:

Pictures of Patton Oswalt's late wife, I guess.

oh duh i'm stupid. disregard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I just discovered this show today and got absolutely no work done because I was too busy laughing at New York's sanitation history.