Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think this got asked in the Pokemon Megathread elsewhere, too, and I'll give the same drat answer. Name the fairy dog "Pookums".

(I acknowledge and embrace my lack of respect for Snubbull, and fairy types/future fairy types in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Courage was a stupid show. Churchill is the name.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think this got asked in the Pokemon Megathread elsewhere, too, and I'll give the same drat answer. Name the fairy dog "Pookums".

(I acknowledge and embrace my lack of respect for Snubbull, and fairy types/future fairy types in general)

No you definitely posted it a couple pages back, so I made sure to include it. Unfortunately this doesn't count as a second vote :v:

Though I may name him that just because you don't like fairies and for that I say boo.

hopeandjoy posted:

So did Gold in the manga. :v:

I never actually thought that. I was just too used to my anime boys with luscious locks, but then I did watch a load of Yu-Gi-Oh!

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Another vote for Churchill

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kheldarn posted:

Courage was a stupid show. Churchill is the name.

You. Me. Pistols at dawn.

Courage is the best show (and name).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Churchill: 8
Courage: 7

Get your last minute votes in!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Churchill.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

As amazing as Courage the Cowardly Dog was, Churchill is just too good a name.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Courage

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Courage.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Courage

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Obligatory Churchill vote to make it a tie again. e: (I can't count)

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Churchill

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Churchill

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Voting for Courage!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Courage

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

ALRIGHT, it's midnight GMT, your Easter voting is over!

Churchill: 13

Courage: 12

Jesus that was close for basically the whole way through, but we have our nickname, thanks for playing.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Stupid Prime Minister. You made me look bad.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZToP48Mrp8

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Y'all were all wrong as the best name for the pink dog is Snuggles, but I'm too used to the constant wrongness of the LP subforum from the Life is Strange thread so I didn't even put it out for you to be wrong about

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I always called mine Snoot because they look snooty and they have a weird snout. :shrug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Silegna posted:

Courage for my vote....I use to think bugsy was a girl.

i thought this until gen 4 came out, i don't think he ever gets gendered in the games

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

i thought this until gen 4 came out, i don't think he ever gets gendered in the games

quote:

: BUGSY's young, but his knowledge of bug POKéMON is for real.

But that might be the only mention and very easy to skim over when you're a kid. Maybe I did think it at one point, but that was a long time ago.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

gently caress, I'm too late to name the dog Courage. :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Missed the vote but good to see the thread made the smart choice :britain:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

But that might be the only mention and very easy to skim over when you're a kid. Maybe I did think it at one point, but that was a long time ago.

It's mentioned in the manga too. Gold tries to flirt with him only to be horrified when Bugsy mentions he's male.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Out of curiosity, in the remakes, how viable is a full eeveelution team?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Silegna posted:

Out of curiosity, in the remakes, how viable is a full eeveelution team?

Depends which ones you pick, their stats and movesets tbh. It's apparently possible to legitimately get Flare Blitz on Flareon, so if you managed that you'd end up with a decent Fire type on your Eeveelution team.

E: I say "legitimately", I mean using a glitch, not hacking it in.

Roro fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 28, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
It's literally not possible without cheating or trading, since Glaceon and Leafeon are unobtainable in HGSS, but if you are willing to do that, all of them are more than good enough for all of the single player content, even Flareon with just its biting to pull it through

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You could run five and a regular Eevee!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

It's literally not possible without cheating or trading, since Glaceon and Leafeon are unobtainable in HGSS, but if you are willing to do that, all of them are more than good enough for all of the single player content, even Flareon with just its biting to pull it through

Actually, I was planning on doing it with Storm Silver, since you can actually get the Gen 4 Eeveelutions. That, and I've beaten Soul Silver so many freaking times I've memorized the AI of the hardest trainers.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Togepi starting with Extrasensory in HG and SS is a huge boon.

I remember one time I played a game hacking random pokemon in the wild and catching them. One of them was Togekiss and holy poo poo she cleaned house

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Roro posted:

Depends which ones you pick, their stats and movesets tbh. It's apparently possible to legitimately get Flare Blitz on Flareon, so if you managed that you'd end up with a decent Fire type on your Eeveelution team.

E: I say "legitimately", I mean using a glitch, not hacking it in.

In Gen 6, he straight up learns it via levelup, but I suppose that doesn't help in the Gen 4 remakes. The honest problem is, Flare Blitz gives him a strong STAB move, but simultaneously doesn't really help him. He's still slow, and frankly, he's brittle enough that he can't handle the recoil from said Flare Blitz. Though this is speaking competitively, not for in-game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BlazetheInferno posted:

In Gen 6, he straight up learns it via levelup, but I suppose that doesn't help in the Gen 4 remakes. The honest problem is, Flare Blitz gives him a strong STAB move, but simultaneously doesn't really help him. He's still slow, and frankly, he's brittle enough that he can't handle the recoil from said Flare Blitz. Though this is speaking competitively, not for in-game.

I knocked out Steven's Mega Metagross with Flare Blitz and felt good. Then my Flareon fainted immediately after. Not exactly the triumphant ending to the battle I envisioned.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm using a Flareon in Gen I right now and it's actually really good. I taught it Double-Edge to get it going and it murders things because the attack is insane - as its special def is better than it'll ever be due to the shared stat, that's the best Flareon you can get until Gen 6 gives it Flare Blitz.

Apart from those deliberations, it's Pokemon, use whatever unless you're really into the competitive side of things.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, with 110 Special and 130 Attack, Flareon is pretty good in Gen 1. And then Gen 2 and then Gen 4 happened. Oh dear.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The single player aspects of Pokemon are easy enough that you can pretty much use whatever you want and get away with it easily (Unless we're talking post-game stuff like the battle Frontier/Maison.) It's only competitive where that stuff won't fly, and you actually have to think about your team composition.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Crosspeice posted:

Yeah, with 110 Special and 130 Attack, Flareon is pretty good in Gen 1. And then Gen 2 and then Gen 4 happened. Oh dear.

Eh, if anything Gen 4 was the first step on the road to recovery for Flareon - the physical/special split opened the potential for Physical STAB for Flareon. The problem is that Fire doesn't have a lot of good physical moves, and until Gen 6, Flareon only had legitimate access to one: the mediocre Fire Fang. Flareon didn't really lose anything from the split.

EDIT: VVV Okay, fair. Two mediocre physical fire moves as of Gen 5. And then Gen 6 made it two mediocre physical fire moves, and one good one whose recoil hits Flareon too hard to be usable competitively.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 28, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Flareon got Flame Charge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LightningKimba posted:

The fact that the Slowpoke line gets Fire Blast is the coolest and most confusing thing to me.

I still think it's dumb as hell that no fire types can learn Scald, even as a gimmick, outside of Volcanion.

E: oh wait, I forgot about Emboar.

Which isn't saying much.

• Locked thread