Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Just played a level as Toon Link and he seems kind of pointless really? He doesn't have anything like Young Link's Fierce Deity gimmick to set him apart from regular Link. Unless he gets some interesting tricks as you unlock more badges for him? First impression is just like "guy with sword, but smaller and cuter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Mango Polo posted:

Has there been any rebalancing/alterations of movesets?

Otherwise I'm enjoying this quite a bit more than my go at it on Wii U. There's something magical about Gannondorf playing dress up with his fairy.

uhh they removed all lana's summons on the summoning gate and in return gave her colored orbs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

uhh they removed all lana's summons on the summoning gate and in return gave her colored orbs.

What the gently caress

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I know I'm late to the party since I don't have a WiiU, but god dammit Omega Force, that's not what an epilogue is. Like a full third of Legend Mode comes AFTER the epilogue. :psyduck:

It concluded the story...as initially presented. Bad guy dies, with a touching send off, your time-displaced allies go home, Triforce is safely split and in the hands of Good People. You even beat back Ganon, briefly. Everything's apparently cleaned up.

Then Ganon comes back again thanks to bad memories, basically goes 'Ganondorf will not be cast aside!' and ruins everything.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 27, 2016

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I know I'm late to the party since I don't have a WiiU, but god dammit Omega Force, that's not what an epilogue is. Like a full third of Legend Mode comes AFTER the epilogue. :psyduck:

Uh the idea is that you're supposed to think you're at the end and then SURPRISE NOPE.

Except it doesn't work because the plot hasn't been totally Hijacked By Ganon yet.

Dizz posted:

Wait what? I don't get to use giant cuccos anymore? :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus, Linkle is an unstoppable rampaging death machine from which no enemy can escape who talks entirely in a language of cuccoos and explosions.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Keiya posted:

Wait what? I don't get to use giant cuccos anymore? :(

No they kept that one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there a trick to playing Midna? She seems to do gently caress all damage and all her attacks move her way too far forward to reliably keep hitting officers.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
always be squeezin'

midna tends to do better with large groups of weak enemies than one-on-one tbh as she has great, wide hitting attacks that sweep enemies up

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is there a trick to playing Midna? She seems to do gently caress all damage and all her attacks move her way too far forward to reliably keep hitting officers.

If I remember correctly, you can dash cancel a lot of her summoning moves so you can have a lot of shadow wolves running around on screen at once. Also use her orange-squeezing attack to power up.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Keiya posted:

TVTropes link

:frogout:

Dizz posted:

I hope this is a joke. This is a joke, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's not a joke

they did it because the 3ds is a weak system

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Bloodly posted:

It concluded the story...as initially presented. Bad guy dies, with a touching send off, your time-displaced allies go home, Triforce is safely split and in the hands of Good People. You even beat back Ganon, briefly. Everything's apparently cleaned up.

Then Ganon comes back again thanks to bad memories, basically goes 'Ganondorf will not be cast aside!' and ruins everything.

Wait, was that supposed to be a twist and not completely obviously what was going to happen?

Also, since the only Amiibo I have is Ryu(I just got my New3DS a couple weeks ago), I scanned it for a generic Amiibo reward. I got 1 rupee. Are all the generic Amiibo rewards that godawful?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Wait, was that supposed to be a twist and not completely obviously what was going to happen?

Also, since the only Amiibo I have is Ryu(I just got my New3DS a couple weeks ago), I scanned it for a generic Amiibo reward. I got 1 rupee. Are all the generic Amiibo rewards that godawful?

Welcome to Hyrule Warriors. If something gives you 1 rupee, hide it for a week before it infects the others. This works, I promise.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Endorph posted:

it's not a joke

Well that just ruins one of the most fun weapons. RIP riding around on Argorok :negative:

How does the random summon thing even work now, did they have to change that?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

it's not a joke

Now everyone knows why I hate this lovely expansion!

E:

Dizz posted:

Cutting corners lead to Lana's summoning gate not having summons anymore. it's just color orbs or some poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlQ7GKi6ak4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dizz posted:

I'd trade the summoning gate for the multi-character switching, owl statues and the ability to make boss battles less lovely any day of the week.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'd trade the summoning gate for the multi-character switching, owl statues and the ability to make boss battles less lovely any day of the week.

Boss battles were never lovely. owl statues are meaningless with character switching, and character switching could have been done on the console version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dizz posted:

Boss battles were never lovely. owl statues are meaningless with character switching, and character switching could have been done on the console version.

The Imprisoned disagrees with you strongly. The ability to stack-up bonuses to make the boss battles faster and less tedious does wonders for some of the worse Adventure Mode maps and in fact the worst ones are not ones where you can't bring multiple characters in. Also Owl Statues are A) good for that map and B) Good for fast travel to danger zones if nobody is nearby in multi-character maps.

Also "it could have been done with the console version" is kind of a meaningless argument because it wasn't. Everything could have been done with the console version, that doesn't mean it was.

Like yeah, in an ideal world, the best outcome would be a Wii U version with similar features but until it exists the portability, rebalancing and new features in Legends makes it a lot better to play over the Wii U version even discounting the latter's significantly better presentation.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 28, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Every giant boss seems cool the first time and then after that either become giant sinks that eat up time or a massive annoyance that follows you around and can do nothing about. I like them but giant bosses are pretty lovely once the gimmick runs it's course.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Wow, they didn't even try to make some cool new thing to replace it, it's just the exact same attacks but with the models taken out. That's lazy as gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GIG posted:

Every giant boss seems cool the first time and then after that either become giant sinks that eat up time or a massive annoyance that follows you around and can do nothing about. I like them but giant bosses are pretty lovely once the gimmick runs it's course.

Yeah, the giant bosses are fun a couple of times and then either die super-quickly because they have easy to hit weak points or take for-loving-ever because they have annoying weak points. The ability to gain magic while attacking them makes it a lot less tedious to expose their weak points and helps the pacing of the boss fights a *lot.*

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dizz posted:

Boss battles were a slog where you had to wait for weak point smashes to do any meaningful damage (Officer battles were too, for that matter), owl statues are legitimately more useful than you think, and you are just doing armchair programming/business planning.

Seriously, I was trying not to be hostile toward your opinion but at this point it feels like some sort of The Secret poo poo where if you complain long and hard enough, a cosmic switch will be flipped and Nintendo will put out all the Legends exclusive content in a patch tomorrow.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

At least in the Wii U game, Non-zelda amiibos always give 1 rupee the first time you use them. Most of the time they give you a drop item, decent rupees, or a weapon for a random character.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

What the gently caress game >:[ How can I beat this stage now?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Even without the stacking bonuses, everyone's hits decrease the WPG. Once you stagger a boss they just explode if you've got other folks targeting it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dizz posted:

E:

I thought you hated it because you were a miserable, whiney dude, actually

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Well this is weird. I was just doing an adventure mode map which let me take two characters into it. I was halfway through the level playing as Linkle, when suddenly it force-switched me to Link and removed Linkle from the battlefield entirely. I was stuck with just one character for the rest of the level. Couldn't even issue commands because there was nobody to issue them to. Is this a bug?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

I thought you hated it because you were a miserable, whiney dude, actually

That's part of it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bloodly posted:

I love that the reason why Ganondorf comes back properly is basically the fantasy equivalent of "gently caress, I left the Iron on."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is there any way to kill a monster that is outside of a keep's closed door, because it's kinda bullshit that I can't kill this king dodongo that is required to end the mission because it clipped through the wall :\

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wait I just did a "Defeat all the giant bosses in time" Adventure mode mission and when I beat King Dodongo it didn't give me any Rupees/materials/weapons. It just kinda poofed out in a cloud of black smoke. Please tell me this was some sort of bug and I can still get materials from these missions.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the giant bosses are fun a couple of times and then either die super-quickly because they have easy to hit weak points or take for-loving-ever because they have annoying weak points. The ability to gain magic while attacking them makes it a lot less tedious to expose their weak points and helps the pacing of the boss fights a *lot.*

Or they just straight up murder you if it's loving Manhandla.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait I just did a "Defeat all the giant bosses in time" Adventure mode mission and when I beat King Dodongo it didn't give me any Rupees/materials/weapons. It just kinda poofed out in a cloud of black smoke. Please tell me this was some sort of bug and I can still get materials from these missions.

I just did a mission to kill two Gohmas and all I got was a deku nut to shove into my fairy's ravenous maw

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So somewhat surprisingly, the N3DS version of Hyrule Warriors Legends runs better than the wii-u version

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Anyone else noticed a difference in the interrupts on Link and Midna's attacks? I don't remember Link's spin attack ever being interrupted by an enemy on the WiiU, but it's happened occasionally on Legends. Same with Midna's attacks.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I actually find Midna to be one of the easiest to play.

Combos you will actually use:
C3 - your cue is to press strong attack when she and the wolf are spinning in the air (keep pressing strong attack)
C5 - your cue is to press strong attack when the wolves come out of the ground (keep pressing strong attack?)

For clearing keeps, just use C5 --> C5 --> C5 --> etc. The only thing limiting you will be the number of enemies on the screen.

For fighting officers, just use C5 --> C3 --> C3 --> repeat. Make sure the officer is targeted, so all the attacks go towards it. The only thing limiting you will be throwing the officer too far away.

A good note about C3 is that for the most part, opponents will be thrown at pretty much the perfect distance for the special attack.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So it turns out if an ally defeats an enemy officer/giant boss instead of you, it won't drop Rupees or materials/weapons. This is pretty irritating given that the new mechanic means you want your allies to be around giant bosses to get the bonuses. And I'm almost positive in Dynasty Warriors 7 that if an ally beat an officer that they'd still drop an item assuming they were onscreen.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I love this game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So somewhat surprisingly, the N3DS version of Hyrule Warriors Legends runs better than the wii-u version

It's great how the first minute and a half of the video shows o3DS footage labelled "New 3DS."

mastajake posted:

I actually find Midna to be one of the easiest to play.

Cool, thanks, I'll try spamming those. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Does Linkle have any weapon upgrades stashed away in her Legend Mode missions? I am up to her Epilogue mission and I am starting to feel like I may have missed it.

• Locked thread