Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I added a third image to my post. From they same set though, but you can see them from the front.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeeesss, critique the accuracy of the uniforms and weapons, soon you will be begging for the return of counter chat! :kheldragar:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kavak posted:

Nobody knew what the gently caress he was talking about, but he was demanding access to a beta patch that didn't exist yet. One time he quit because he thought Russia and the US were about to start WWIII over Syria. That's the level of political acumen you really want in someone developing a mod based on modern day politics.
It unironically is. No way would it be good anyway, so might as well go for crazy.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kavak posted:

Yeeesss, critique the accuracy of the uniforms and weapons, soon you will be begging for the return of counter chat! :kheldragar:

I like building models and don't mind discussing the accuracy and detail of the things people create - don't usually engage in rivet counting but to each their own. I know next to nothing about Germany though, I'm more interested in American and Allied hardware.

And besides, if you want to get really specific, HOI4 is using the wrong NATO counter for cavalry:

Technically they're indicating that they're recon units (not meant for combat), rather than mounted infantry which is designed for combat.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Creating a Stellaris satellite for in development post creation has caused a good in-development-post shortage for the pops in the Paradox thread and they are now rebelling.

Our only hope is if the invention RNG hits so they can announce the 3rd in development project so we can get back to speculating about good things again.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wiz posted:

Nerds.

Wiz posted:

Nerds.

Wiz posted:

Nerds.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
You know, I think I would be happy with just some clip art. It would really help get the point across fast.

I'm also all for using comic sans for the font. It really helps bring out Hitlers playful side in the war!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Kavak posted:

They can't be accurate because how would they sell cosmetic dlc later?

Edit: This is an ironic post

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Will the Aztec Invasion DLC come with special NATO counters for atlatl soldiers?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Zombie apocalypse DLC please

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm not sure why you are all being triggered by nato counters so harshly. You guys know you can just turn them off right?

e: Infact I'm pretty sure they've been opt-in for the entirety of the hoi series. So there isn't even an issue to begin with.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

I'm not sure why you are all being triggered by nato counters so harshly. You guys know you can just turn them off right?

e: Infact I'm pretty sure they've been opt-in for the entirety of the hoi series. So there isn't even an issue to begin with.

Wiz saw a thread about them on the forum once and it makes him upset (because he doesn't know the 'X' means infantry and the tank treads are tanks???).

Send him your prayers.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eskaton posted:

Wiz saw a thread about them on the forum once and it makes him upset (because he doesn't know the 'X' means infantry and the tank treads are tanks???).

Send him your prayers.

If by a thread on the forum once you mean about 100 threads on the HOI4 forum, a dozen or so NATO counter grogfests in this thread, and constant complaining on our social media channels whenever we dare to post screenshots with them off. We actually had to ban all discussion of NATO counters at one point because it was swamping the forum.

Believe me, I *wish* people didn't care about NATO counters, but grog gonna grog.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wiz posted:

Believe me, I *wish* people didn't care about NATO counters, but grog gonna grog.

Can they even consider themselves proper grogs though? Shouldn't they be insisting on period-accurate counters proper for every country?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Eskaton posted:

Wiz saw a thread about them on the forum once and it makes him upset (because he doesn't know the 'X' means infantry and the tank treads are tanks???)

can't imagine why someone wouldn't instantly recognize these two images as the same. baffling, probably.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well we also had the argument that slashes are better representations of horses so maybe some people can only see abstract shapes.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It unironically is. No way would it be good anyway, so might as well go for crazy.

I was doing a hands-off run of the latest MDS mod (called PutinMod) for Darkest Hour the other day. Once the rebels annexed Syria in the civil war, the Gulf States and all Kurdish factions instantly joined ISIS, which went on to annex all other Arab nations, then Iran, and then Communist India. It was allied with Albania and Bosnia-Herzegovina the whole time and ended up being the leading industrial superpower.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

can't imagine why someone wouldn't instantly recognize these two images as the same. baffling, probably.

If I drew tank treads, yes it would look like the first pic rather than the second. It's actually more sensible than most of the NATO symbols. Motorized infantry are just X's with dots at the bottom to represent wheels.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 28, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Haven't played Eu4 since CoP. Going to reinstall tonight. Which expansions should I get and any recommendations on a starting country?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Zotix posted:

Haven't played Eu4 since CoP. Going to reinstall tonight. Which expansions should I get and any recommendations on a starting country?

I can't remember what's in which expansion anymore so somebody else will have to advise about that, but I think England makes a really good starting country since you can dabble in all sorts of things (interfering on the Continent, trade, exploration and colonization, parliaments, etc.) while still having an ocean between you and France so if you gently caress up it's easier to recover.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Instead of counters of any type, HoI4's armies should be marked with unique full-size photographs of every soldier in each brigade.

PleasingFungus posted:

Resize them both to like 40x60 and tell me which one's easier to make out.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tuskin38 posted:

Not sure how old these are, they could be outdated.

It upsets me far than NATO counters that all these Paradox games have a special mode that lets them rotate the map and change the angle for cool cinimatic shots, and then they never put them in the public release. :mad:

Wiz posted:

Makes Hearts of Iron - a series that has modeled barometric pressure for 30,000 provinces simultaneously, let you customize everything short of paint color on your tanks, and lovingly models essential WW2 facts like the Bolivian general staff.

Complains about grogs.

:lol:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

its almost as if the human brain possesses the ability to associate two unreleated things with eachother

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I was doing a hands-off run of the latest MDS mod (called PutinMod) for Darkest Hour the other day. Once the rebels annexed Syria in the civil war, the Gulf States and all Kurdish factions instantly joined ISIS, which went on to annex all other Arab nations, then Iran, and then Communist India. It was allied with Albania and Bosnia-Herzegovina the whole time and ended up being the leading industrial superpower.

Well that'd make for good gameplay at least.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:gas:

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

It upsets me far than NATO counters that all these Paradox games have a special mode that lets them rotate the map and change the angle for cool cinimatic shots, and then they never put them in the public release. :mad:

Rome.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Can they even consider themselves proper grogs though? Shouldn't they be insisting on period-accurate counters proper for every country?

Yeah I feel like you need to do a little more to get grog cred than being able to remember that a diagonal line arbitrarily represents cavalry.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Oh yeah. Yet another reason we need Rome 2.

Although honestly, to avoid confusion with the Total War title, I kinda think they should just reboot their Rome title. Call it Vae Victis or something.

Europa Universalis: Rome was a doofy name to begin with.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope someone mods out leader portraits for counters. If you don't recognize a square with a zigzag line in it as Hitler, you need to learn some history.

Alternate idea: replace the portraits with Stellaris races.

E: leave Mao the same of course

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mantis42 posted:

I hope someone mods out leader portraits for counters. If you don't recognize a square with a zigzag line in it as Hitler, you need to learn some history.

Alternate idea: replace the portraits with Stellaris races.

E: leave Mao the same of course

The HOI4 Sunset Invasion equivalent should be a Blorg Friendship invasion of pre-spaceflight Earth.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm still hoping that Paradox gets a deal with Harry Turtledove, so I can play all those books I read when I was a teen:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Resize them both to like 40x60 and tell me which one's easier to make out.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
No, really, Wiz, make a new screenshot all be in comic sans and no one will ever talk about counters again~

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

what is that? a crew served machine gun?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It's a sailboat

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
it's clearly an elephant inside a box inside a cloud shaped like a tank.

philistines!

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
wow, the NATO symbol for boxed elephant cavalry is much clearer than that normie casual poo poo

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm detecting a market for NATO Counter body pillows. Pre-orders to start soon!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

-NATO symbology is easier to read at a glance
-It's reasonable to not want to learn how to read NATO symbology

Can we stop arguing over something that doesn't loving matter because both sides of the debate have what they want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Yeah, let's argue about something more productive, like adding a globe mode to paradox games