Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Were sanctions against Iraq unfair to Iraqis?

Yeah, about as unfair as the U.S. freezing humanitarian aid to afghanistan as a means of collective punishment for harboring bin laden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess collective punishment is only acceptable when it causes massive numbers of civilian deaths and the permanent destruction of critical humanitarian infrastructure.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess collective punishment is only acceptable when it causes massive numbers of civilian deaths and the permanent destruction of critical humanitarian infrastructure.

c.f. the al-shifa chemical plant bombing in sudan.

In all honesty, was that question about whether sanctions against iraq rhetorical? Because uh.

quick edit: i had multiple friends serve in iraq/afghanistan and I got to hear them drunkenly describe daily life as an occupying force. Events like, pointing a gun at a crowd of kids asking in broken english for water and candy. Shooting in the air to disperse (usually) nonviolent demonstrations. Insulting locals by learning one or two insults in arabic and repeating them. So just for the sake of returning to the topic at hand, if the U.S. occupies a country in that manner I'm going to assume the israeli occupation is equal to or greater in the amount of respect and sensitivity shown to the native populace.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 26, 2016

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yes, the fictional notion that Zionists drop accusations of anti-Semitism at the drop of a hat is ridiculous and really should stop. It's a complete chimera strawman that anti-Zionists invented and use to shut down debate at any and all opportunities.

Or you could spend two seconds on Google and learn that it's a commonly used term.

Seems to be a very common tactic

https://theintercept.com/2016/03/22/clinton-attacks-israeli-boycott-movement-in-aipac-speech/

quote:

“Many of the young people here today are on the front lines of the battle to oppose the alarming Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement known as BDS,” said Clinton, speaking at the annual policy conference of the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). “Particularly at a time when anti-Semitism is on the rise across the world, especially in Europe, we must repudiate all efforts to malign, isolate, and undermine Israel and the Jewish people.”

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
According to Israeli outlets the IDF investigation into the summary execution in Tel Rumeyda has confirmed that the combat medic and self appointed judge and executioner wasn't even on the scene when the stabbing attack has occurred, he arrived after both alleged assailants were subdued and took the shot completely cold blooded.

A video recorded by the Magen David Adom rescue team (settlers from hebron themselves) captured one of the settlers (the man holding the camera) claiming that the assailant who was executed is "carrying a bomb" in addition to someone saying "Why is this dog still alive?". The bomb thing is obviously highly suspect as the man was not carrying a bomb, on top of that the forces on location do not seem worried from a possibility of a bomb as they all stand in very close vicinity to him prior to the execution, having watched the video I must note that no one in the video seems to be reacting to the bomb claim and furthermore as it is captured by the cameraman there is a non-negligible possibility he simply recorded the sentence afterwards and edited it into the video. Do note that this is just mine own :tinfoil: impression not supported by anything other than what I've said above.

As of this moment the executioner is held in custody and is facing murder charges which is in itself somewhat of a precedent, I guess the very unambiguous documentation kinda forced the ministry of defense's hand on the whole thing and they know they might need to actually imprison the fucker to fend off international criticism.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Oh see but he didn't equate it. A statement of support for BDS is now a denial of the existence of anti-semitism. It's not even you are an anti-semite, because you know you are not, it's to make you feel like arguing against him might make you complicit. It's a direct overture towards liberal guilt.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The summary execution in Tel Rumeyda has claimed another unfortunate victim, this time it was irony ruthlessly slain by the family of the executioner:

Quoth the sister of of the executioner: "All that remains is that you execute my brother, he's been the victim of drumhead court-martial".

Yes, an actual summary execution by a self-appointed executioner is fine but calling him a murderer in the media that's a step too far.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

emanresu tnuocca posted:

According to Israeli outlets the IDF investigation into the summary execution in Tel Rumeyda has confirmed that the combat medic and self appointed judge and executioner wasn't even on the scene when the stabbing attack has occurred, he arrived after both alleged assailants were subdued and took the shot completely cold blooded.
the ministry of defense's hand on the whole thing and they know they might need to actually imprison the fucker to fend off international criticism.
They also claim that the shooter was arrested and charged before anybody noticed that he just headshot an unconscious dude, and that they were way on top of it before the video went viral.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The University of California system's board of regents approved a policy against Anti-Semitism

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/us/university-of-california-adopts-statement-condemning-anti-semitism.html

Controversy from some quarters over their decision. ^

http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/aar/mare.pdf

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

That's cool they hate antisemitism but isn't that kind of like expecting an attaboy for heroically denouncing child sex traffickers in public?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes, an actual summary execution by a self-appointed executioner is fine but calling him a murderer in the media that's a step too far.
Anyone got a "here's the number of 'suspicious' unarmed Palestinians killed on a yearly basis that no one is going to jail for' report? Need it for facebook masterstroke purposes.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

http://www.btselem.org/statistics/fatalities/after-cast-lead/by-date-of-event

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Liberman felt left out: "Netanyahu and Ya'alon have turned into presenters for the group of traitors from B'Tselem."

Bennett is also in the process of losing his poo poo: "Why must you pass the sentence before confirming all the facts? You no longer know who the bad guys and the good guys are. Why is the leadership of Israel dancing to the tune of B'Tselem's pipers?". Yeah the whole 'where's the due process?!?" thing is really common and indicative of the fact that apparently everyone to the right of Likud has had their irony glands surgically removed at some point.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

That's cool they hate antisemitism but isn't that kind of like expecting an attaboy for heroically denouncing child sex traffickers in public?

You'd think so but there are still plenty of "anti-Zionists" caterwauling about the whole thing despite the final policy did not equate anti-semitism and anti-Zionism, there really are people who will oppose initiatives to combat anti-semitism.

A lot like how the "I'm not racist, but" racists always howl that anti-racist programs are oppressing them.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

You'd think so but there are still plenty of "anti-Zionists" caterwauling about the whole thing despite the final policy did not equate anti-semitism and anti-Zionism, there really are people who will oppose initiatives to combat anti-semitism..

I'm not calling bullshit on you, per se but would you cite some examples of that?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Insect Court posted:

You'd think so but there are still plenty of "anti-Zionists" caterwauling about the whole thing despite the final policy did not equate anti-semitism and anti-Zionism, there really are people who will oppose initiatives to combat anti-semitism.

A lot like how the "I'm not racist, but" racists always howl that anti-racist programs are oppressing them.

Lol. They had to add "anti-semetic forms of" to the phrase anti zionism because the faculty were gonna poo poo a brick if the original draft went through.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Quoth the sister of of the executioner: "All that remains is that you execute my brother, he's been the victim of drumhead court-martial".

I mean, if you think Palestinians are second-class citizens then maybe it's not murder to some of these people

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
http://www.sott.net/article/315298-...id-by-Netanyahu

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

I'm not calling bullshit on you, per se but would you cite some examples of that?

The original NYT article had a few good, albeit mild examples: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/us/university-of-california-adopts-statement-condemning-anti-semitism.html

And from across the pond:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-party-members-anti-semitic-banned-for-life-john-mcdonnell-a6951371.html

quote:

Labour members who express anti-Semitic views should be expelled with no possibility of return, John McDonnell has said, amid calls for the party to take stronger action following a series of damaging allegations.

“Out, out, out,” the shadow Chancellor told The Independent, speaking about concerns over how anti-Jewish views are dealt with. “If people express these views, full stop they’re out.”

The Labour Mayor of Bradford, Khadim Hussain, was suspended this week for sharing an anti-Semitic post on Facebook. That followed last week’s suspension of party member Vicki Kirby for a second time for sending anti-Semitic tweets – and conflicting claims over whether a Labour councillor in west London, Beinazir Lasharie, had been reinstated after suggesting on Facebook that Jews were responsible for 9/11 and the rise of Isis.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its too bad his article is basically him trying to slam dunk liberals by citing things conservative Israelis and Trump said.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

Its too bad his article is basically him trying to slam dunk liberals by citing things conservative Israelis and Trump said.

"Liberals turn into conservatives when Israel is involved" is the article's basic message, yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

"Liberals turn into conservatives when Israel is involved" is the article's basic message, yes.

If only that were true.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Note that the one stated opinion, ie that Jews did 9/11 and ISIS, has nothing to do with Israel, and furthermore gently caress off you disingenuous shitstain.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

If only that were true.
i suppose if one only takes people at their word from the video then

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

(credit: Amir Schiby)

A survey reviewing Israeli commentary on facebook reveals that 78% of Israelis believe that the executioner acted properly, some 56% of those who support the executioner think that he is being thrown under the bus by the government to appease the international media, another 30% or so believe he is a hero who saved lives with his quick thinking and deliberate action.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just met a two-man "save the soldier" demonstration at the central bus station. Always interesting how these things devolve into "we're here to protect every jewish life and btw is you disagree we're not going to protect you - god bless and go die in Poland".

Should I post a cell phone photo or do you get the picture regardless?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's really no surprise - much of Israeli society has been openly calling for the death of terrorists in all circumstances regardless of necessity for years. The hatred runs deep.

http://forward.com/opinion/337068/whos-to-blame-for-israeli-soldier-shooting-immobilized-palestinian-attacker/

quote:

Top members of Israel’s political, religious and security establishment have spoken out regularly in favor of killing attackers on the spot, prior to the wave of violence that began last fall. That thinking easily extends to attackers who pose little threat at the moment.

In 2011 a former chief rabbi of the IDF said that terrorists could be “killed in their beds,” instead of arrested, or should be “killed in the field” during an attack: “It doesn’t need to reach court.” In 2014 then-Minister of Internal Security Yitzhak Aharonovich said that he would like every incident to end that way: “The fate of a terrorist is to be killed.” Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon responded, “Every terrorist, if he raises a hand either with a knife or a vehicle or firearms, his fate should be death, in accordance with the circumstances.”

Last October, Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu of Safed, a member of Israel’s Chief Rabbinate Council, said that a soldier who leaves a terrorist alive after an attack ought to be prosecuted himself. The far-right politician Avigdor Lieberman ran his recent election campaign on the idea of “death penalty for terrorists.” The current Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan and opposition figure Yair Lapid have both supported the goal of killing terrorists on the spot, not capturing or prosecuting them.

When the IDF Chief of Staff said in February that he does not want soldiers emptying cartridges on 13-year old girls wielding scissors, referring to another grim event, his comments sparked a vicious backlash from Israel’s right wing.

That legitimization from the top explains, and feeds, the Israeli public’s feelings. Last November, three-quarters of Israelis said in a survey for Israel’s Channel 2 that they believe terrorists should be killed on the spot. Nearly 80% also said civilians should not kill terrorists that have already been incapacitated (after citizens killed an innocent Eritrean migrant during an attack, believing him to be a terrorist), but a 55% majority said such civilians should not be prosecuted.

Those findings explain why the Hebron soldier’s father said his son had acted just as he had been taught in the army and a right-wing parliamentarian said he should get a prize, while Israel’s education minister decreed on Facebook:“He is not a murderer.” The earlier surveys set the stage for the current public mood: Channel 2 reported on a social media analysis showing that 87% of conversations there favored the soldier and 37,000 people signed a petition defending him. A regular survey for Channel 2 representing the whole Israeli public showed that 57% were against his arrest and 66% said his actions were a natural or even a responsible reaction (the question cited the possibility that he had a suicide vest). Most surprisingly, over two thirds opposed the condemnations issued by their own (right-wing) prime minister, defense minister and chief of staff.

The incident calls to mind the “Bus 300” affair. In 1984, two terrorists who had hijacked a civilian bus were photographed being led away by security forces, alive and bound. They turned up dead and the photographs caused a scandal. The difference is that back then, the killings and the Shin Bet’s attempt to cover up the affair rocked the country.

Now, Israelis mainly fear the viral path of the footage more than the killing itself. At best, they cling to the “bad egg” theory. Anyone who questions the policy that led to the whole sorry confrontation is quickly smacked down with the argument that when people are getting stabbed in the streets, it’s no time to raise larger policy issues. It’s never the time.

If a society constantly tells itself to ensure that terrorists die rather than get hauled in, that is what soldiers will aim for — literally — even when the attacker is down. Israel can throw the book at this soldier. Maybe he’ll even sit behind bars. But there will be more like him until we’re ready to change policy, instead of praying no one videotapes the next bad egg.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Are you ever going to address the questions that people have asked you repeatedly?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

captainblastum posted:

Are you ever going to address the questions that people have asked you repeatedly?

He's not.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's amazing how powerful the hatred of the oppressor for the oppressed is, throughout human history, compared to the hate of the oppressed for the oppressor. I think it's something like "If we are doing horrible things to them, then they must deserve it otherwise we would be the bad guys).

I mean, look at the American South. Sure, there was a lot of hatred for the slavers by the blacks, but the sheer intensity of White hatred for the black dwarfed it somehow. Despite them being on top. It's a weird psychological phenomenon.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Yeah it's a pretty common defense mechanism; act like you're the aggreived party long and loud enough and eventually you'll believe your own bullshit.

:eyepop:

I recognize leiberman, smotrich and bennett but who's the other guy? Judge Dredd-il?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's Danny Danon.

it's actually Ofir Akunis, conflating those two is a running joke.

quote:

Minister Ofir Akunis also criticized the comments condemning the suspected soldier. "The fact that politicians, senior as they may be, already judged the soldier and convicted him is unacceptable to me," Akunis said before Sunday's cabinet meeting. "Things must be clarified in court. It's better [to have] dead terrorists than dead soldiers."
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.711148

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's amazing how powerful the hatred of the oppressor for the oppressed is, throughout human history, compared to the hate of the oppressed for the oppressor. I think it's something like "If we are doing horrible things to them, then they must deserve it otherwise we would be the bad guys).

I mean, look at the American South. Sure, there was a lot of hatred for the slavers by the blacks, but the sheer intensity of White hatred for the black dwarfed it somehow. Despite them being on top. It's a weird psychological phenomenon.

Not just hate, but fear - the oppressor is absolutely terrified of the oppressed, and therefore oppresses them all the harder in order to keep them down, with any hint of defiance being met by vicious reprisals. They oppress the weak out of fear of what might happen if the weak become strong, and therefore specifically seek to make the weak even weaker while intimidating them into staying weak. It was the same in the American South - a slave revolt was basically the scariest thing they could imagine, and even the slightest hint of one led to widespread panic, brutal attacks against blacks, and further intensification of oppression against blacks under the excuse of preventing terrorism. And because of their fear, they felt that their hatred and oppression of blacks was all the more justified. It's a self-reinforcing system, too - the oppression breeds discontent and hatred, which convinces the oppressors to oppress even more, which causes more discontent and hatred, and so on.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

Note that the one stated opinion, ie that Jews did 9/11 and ISIS, has nothing to do with Israel, and furthermore gently caress off you disingenuous shitstain.

I'm sorry, is this a 'antisemitism has nothing whatsoever to do with Israel, how could anyone think that?' post? Or just a meltdown?

captainblastum posted:

You'll have to clarify, it's hard to distinguish between all the bad faith non sequiturs made to avoid having to address legitimate issues ands important news stories that I mention.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

I'm sorry, is this a 'antisemitism has nothing whatsoever to do with Israel, how could anyone think that?' post? Or just a meltdown?

You'll have to clarify, it's hard to distinguish between all the bad faith non sequiturs made to avoid having to address legitimate issues ands important news stories that I mention.

gently caress off and get out you apartheid-defending scumbag.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The Insect Court posted:

You were specifically asked by Ultramega to back up your claims relating to the University of California statement, where you talked about '"anti-Zionists" caterwauling about the whole thing despite the final policy did not equate anti-semitism and anti-Zionism' in a manner which clearly implicated that they were racist.

The link mentioned doesn't mention any criticism of the policy at University of California that is being talked about, in fact it doesn't mention the University of California at all. It's about some minor politically connected people in the UK being anti-semetic. Seeing as that has nothing to do with anti-zionism in general and even less to do with the policy at the University of California, all it does is let us know that a minimum of two anti-semites exist somewhere in UK. As everyone in this thread could have guessed that without an article, what you've posted is completely pointless and doesn't support your claim at all.

This is a problem because as well asnot actually addressing the point raised, it feeds into the idea that you are a stupid disingenuous rear end in a top hat seeing as avoiding the point and hurling accusations of anti-semitism is pretty much all you do.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

This is the question that I'd like to hear an answer for:

The Insect Court posted:

I agree that we should not attempt to erase the killings by the Nazis of disabled people or gypsies (or Slovenes or Freemasons or homosexuals or Spanish Republicans) from history.

Ludicrously incorrect.

captainblastum posted:

I'd be interested in hearing why you think that the idea of the Roma people being as persecuted and scapegoated as the Jewish people is "ludicrously incorrect."

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

The Insect Court posted:

I INTENTIONALLY MISREPRESENT OTHER PEOPLE'S ARGUMENTS AND STRAWMAN LIKE IT'S GOING OUT OF STYLE, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ENGAGE ME AND MY DUMB loving OPINIONS

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Insect Court posted:

Well, you've made the claim that suggesting that Palestinians are indigenous to Palestine is obviously just bald anti-Semitism, but you never answered to what region you believe Palestinians to be indigenous.

You've repeatedly stated that Palestinian refugees should not be entitled to the rights outlined by the UN in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and anyone claiming otherwise is clearly not concerned with human rights but just scheming to destroy Israel. Are there any other human rights you think should not apply to specific demographics, or is it only Palestinians? Why/why not?

You've claimed that everything destroyed in Operation Protective Edge was a legitimate military target, including vital infrastructure like waste and water treatment facilities that had been reported to Israeli intelligence as void of military personal beforehand. What targets could be bombed by the IDF that you would not consider to be legitimate military targets, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't engage with the single biggest argument in favour of antisemitism itt, just tell him to gently caress off and move on with your life.