Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I happen to like the Watchmen movie. Not because it's an exceptional movie, but because I love Watchmen and will take what I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wasn't a great movie but compared to the printed cartoon it was good.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wasn't a great movie but compared to the printed cartoon it was good.

wow.

Uh, anyway, Snyder seemed to do just fine here, I thought the movie was very well shot in general. He has a love of comic-book panels and tries to recreate them with film, which is probably why he's so drawn to comic adaptations. It's over the top, but much more restrained and well-put together than some of his other works. I generally thought the film's visuals were great, particularly the very dramatic and epic three-way superhero battle with Doomsday at the end. Wonder Woman looked incredible as well, kudos to Gal Gadot for actually managing to squeeze some acting into her action sequence.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

wow.

Uh, anyway, Snyder seemed to do just fine here, I thought the movie was very well shot in general. He has a love of comic-book panels and tries to recreate them with film, which is probably why he's so drawn to comic adaptations. It's over the top, but much more restrained and well-put together than some of his other works. I generally thought the film's visuals were great, particularly the very dramatic and epic three-way superhero battle with Doomsday at the end. Wonder Woman looked incredible as well, kudos to Gal Gadot for actually managing to squeeze some acting into her action sequence.

Too bad he failed pretty much everywhere else. Visuals aren't everything.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Neurolimal posted:

Roger Corman is a fantastic director, no sarcasm or irony neccessary.
I will always respect him with how he dealt with that whole Fantastic Four fiasco, the guy made an effort to make that movie despite it only being made to keep the rights to the brand and said film is much better than any of the modern Fox movies. Except for the Human Torch, Chris Evans was much better than the guy they got.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's the thing, Marvel characters have all ruined that plotline through overruse. Comics in general really have, but I feel like it's a mirror of how twisted American culture is for "realism" in their heroes that we keep wanting to see Batman kill people, see Batman use guns, see Batman not be Batman.

If Batman didn't care about killing anyone, why not just use his guns to shoot all those guys on the third floor of that building? He knew where Martha was inside, he could have just swept quickly with his ship, or even have it do it on autopilot, then pop up and use a gun to kill everybody else.

If Batman actually focused his mind to killing, then why is he doing all this stupid hand-to-hand poo poo when it's much more effective to utilize a sniper tactic or gas the whole room? Do you see where this starts to fall apart? If Batman is kiling then his entire approach to combat ceases to make sense, and he ceases to be Batman.

Now, I anticipate that this is to set up a crazy Justice League movie that's going to have a super gritty JL fighting and losing to Brainiac, and that time travel thing is going to come up again, and we'll have a reset on the universe to set up a younger, more optimistic Justice League. This is the only way I can see a JL reboot actually growing out of this, because the universe and the characters we get in this movie aren't really worth saving or rooting for.

Superman had a great little arc, but he's dead so whatever

Batman goes in with his fists because he's a sick man who likes to feel the bones breaking, when he spin-kicks dudes into the ground so hard face-first that their spine snaps or that one guy's arm that he twisted enough that the bone sticks out from where the elbow used to be.

Same reason he didn't just make kryptonite bullets and then shot Superman dead who would have stood and took it because he'd think it was a regular bullet probably.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
In a good batman story, he uses violence as a last resort.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

There is no way they can make an interesting Aqua Man movie.

Also, DC has too many capes in its movies like IN YOUR FACE we got capes!~

I'm glad that Jason Momoa had such a easy paycheck for the movie.

Wave trident in front of green screen for a few days

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dapper Dan posted:

they do tend to take risks (like handing off guardians of the galaxy to the loving guy who wrote tromeo and juilet)

i thought lloyd kaufman was just a cameo? or is he an uncredited production team member?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 27, 2016

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Gaunab posted:

i disagree, batman to me is a violent but not lethal motherfuck that revels in punishing criminals

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The White Dragon posted:

i thought lloyd kaufman was just a cameo? or is he an uncredited production team member?

he was a cameo but james gunn wrote tromeo and juliet and other troma features

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Bollywood should make a DBZ movie

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Neurolimal posted:

Roger Corman is a fantastic director, no sarcasm or irony neccessary.

every time an article on roger corman pops up there's somebody in the comments who goes "wait he's still alive?" i had the same thought reading an article about his production company doing movies for syfy.

a lot of people assume he's dead for some reason, probably due to a) not really keeping a high profile, and b) he's mostly remembered among people for his films as a director in the 50s (and they forget that a lot of people in their early 20s in the 50s are still alive)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So you guys are buying tickets and seeing the movie so you can brag about how bad it is?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I haven't seen it, I just like talking about bat-mans and super-men

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If the movie stinks, just don't go.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The thing is people don't trust other people. If a guy says it's bad, you are like "well I'm a real fan so I'll appreciate it" and you see it and say that was bad and the next person has a biased reason why they will enjoy it when you wouldn't and the cycle continues.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Are you saying Batman has never used violence as a last resort? :can:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I personally just wanted to see something suck this weekend so gently caress you buddy!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

It didn't stink before I went but it did afterwards :mrgw:

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

FogHelmut posted:

but but my comix

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
last night i had to decide to either see bvs or gently caress a BBW. it's not as bad as they say it is.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Tenzarin posted:

Best part of the movie is they kill off superman and now the leading character in the DC universe is Ben Affleck.

No longer he has to play the part of the Daredevil. Sounds like a win for Hollywood.

They are clearly setting up for a movie version of the death and return of superman. If you can't figure this out on your own you're an eejit.

They even show the cyborg superman come to life and tease the last son of krypton.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 28, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

amityville anus posted:

last night i had to decide to either see bvs or gently caress a BBW. it's not as bad as they say it is.

let us know how the movie is when you get around to seeing it

etc.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
BTW, clearly the best part of the movie by a mile. The congresswoman is giving a speech at the hearing and then suddwnly notices an ominous mason jar. She stutters and stares at the jar. "It isn't. It can't be." she is clearly thinking. Slowly, ominously, she turns the glass. And yes, yes it is. It is labelled. "Granny's peach tea." loving laffo.

(It's pissssssss.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

friend linked me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDMQ3tXNKgM

this guy actually understand superman:

"a dude from kansas doing the right thing"

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Zack Snyder can't make a good movie. Dawn of the Dead was poo poo. Sucker Punch was poo poo. This movie's poo poo. 300 was poo poo. Everything he's directed is terrible.

The only thing he's good at is making things overly artsy. He's basically Michael Bay but instead of extravagant explosions you get overwrought symbolism that lacks all subtlety and a first grader's approach at creative writing.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Groovelord Neato posted:

does superman stopping the jumper come from that comic? cuz that's probably the single best superman moment ever.

Yes.

One of my other favorite Superman moments is when he saves some kid, and after putting him down the kid is all "I like your costume".

Then Superman goes, "Thanks, my mom made it for me" :)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

he was a cameo but james gunn wrote tromeo and juliet and other troma features

Man, you really keep hammering those Troma credits. Gunn did other works that are also considered objectionable, like the Scooby Doo movies and a sketch in Movie 43.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Young Freud posted:

Man, you really keep hammering those Troma credits. Gunn did other works that are also considered objectionable, like the Scooby Doo movies and a sketch in Movie 43.

also slither and super. and I think the video game lollipop chainsaw.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

james gunn has had the most exponential and stratospheric career rise in the history of film. he must throw a hell of a pitch meeting

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

james gunn has had the most exponential and stratospheric career rise in the history of film. he must throw a hell of a pitch meeting

Kevin Smith's success was from him saying "we can make that work" at whatever budget the studio offered first

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Kevin Smith's success was from him saying "we can make that work" at whatever budget the studio offered first

I guess that made sense. I just assumed he was really good at giving oral pleasure to studio execs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

His greatest superhero movie was actually Super.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

etalian posted:

His greatest superhero movie was actually Super.

i need to see that

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

dreezy posted:

I guess that made sense. I just assumed he was really good at giving oral pleasure to studio execs.

Where do you think he got the idea for the 37 dicks scene in Clerks from?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Bruce Kison posted:

Where do you think he got the idea for the 37 dicks scene in Clerks from?

I was thinking more the "have you had your rear end in a top hat licked by a fat man in an overcoat" scene from jay and silent bob strike back.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This was the thought going through my head as I went to sleep last night. Like, why? Why would he call his mom Martha? Did the writer just realize that both Batman and Superman's moms have the same name? They even foreshadow this poo poo, it's a major plot point that's set up in the first few minutes of the movie...

Who wrote this movie?

I've yet to see the movie, but I imagine Bruce and Clark bonding over stupid similiarities in their life.

"JIM!"
"Jim?"
"Jim... Olson. He's a trusted friend and confidant."
"I... also have a Jim who is also a trusted friend and confidant."
"Oh..."

*Superman stubs toe on car, looks down reviewing the damage."
"DENT!"
"Dent?"
"Dented... I just dented this car. Practically broke it in two."
"I have a Harvey Dent, he's a Two-Face."
"Oh..."

"Pizza!"
"Pizza?!"
"Pizza... I love pizza. I could really go for a slice right now."
"I... also like Pizza. Good pizza like classic Gotham-style Pizza, not that stuff you call Metropolitian-Style and try to pass off as pizza."
"Wuh... Metro-style is great!"
"In light of everything else, I'm going to assume the kryptonite has taken away your enhanced sense of 'supertaste'.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

JediTalentAgent posted:

*Superman stubs toe on car, looks down reviewing the damage."
"DENT!"
"Dent?"
"Dented... I just dented this car. Practically broke it in two."
"I have a Harvey Dent, he's a Two-Face."
"Oh..."

two-face's original name was, no poo poo, Harvey Kent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I liked it well enough, sure some stuff didn't make much sense and the actual bvs was only about 5 mins of the movie.

Drinking makes most movies fun, particually visual violent ones like this.

• Locked thread