Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

oh dope posted:

Is there some weird rule about Null Lance that I'm not aware of? I've only used it twice and both times (on separate missions) it simply went right through the enemies and did exactly nothing. No ! Missed or anything. Most recently I tried against a Codex and an Archon that were wide open, no cover, and my psi dude did his thing to zero effect. I'm really bad at this game.

Look at the tiles highlighted below, not the beam itself. The targeting can get wonky, especially if so if you're shooting it diagonally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Also if there is any kind of elevation changes between you and your target it can miss entirely as well.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
So I couldn't do any dev tonight so of course I spent it thinking about squad size. Given that in GW it'll never be a win condition to wipe the enemy, there is more viability in ghosting most of the way to the objective, storming it in 1 or 2 turns and then getting out of dodge.

With all that in mind I think it might be interesting to make squad size more of a side grade than a no brainer. Have squad size start at 4, then upgrades go to 6 & 8 respectively. Then, have squad size change the enemy response and concealment options.

4 & 5 allow concealment.
6 & 7 no concealment.
8 no concealment and all pods activate on first alert.

Then have the reinforcement response times scale inversely to the squad size. I think with all that there might be enough incentive not to take everything all time, as long as I can put enough risk into taking a large squad.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Maluco Marinero posted:

So I couldn't do any dev tonight so of course I spent it thinking about squad size. Given that in GW it'll never be a win condition to wipe the enemy, there is more viability in ghosting most of the way to the objective, storming it in 1 or 2 turns and then getting out of dodge.

With all that in mind I think it might be interesting to make squad size more of a side grade than a no brainer. Have squad size start at 4, then upgrades go to 6 & 8 respectively. Then, have squad size change the enemy response and concealment options.

4 & 5 allow concealment.
6 & 7 no concealment.

Then have the reinforcement response times scale inversely to the squad size. I think with all that there might be enough incentive not to take everything all time, as long as I can put enough risk into taking a large squad.

That is a really nifty idea.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Maluco Marinero posted:

4 & 5 allow concealment.
6 & 7 no concealment.

How are you going to handle XP if wiping the enemy isn't a win condition and ghosting is possible?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

That is satisfying as gently caress to watch over and over.

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

Maluco Marinero posted:

4 & 5 allow concealment.
6 & 7 no concealment.

I would change the order of progression: 6&7 would activate all pods but still start in concealment, and 8 would be just like you said. I think having all pods activate fits the idea of guerilla warfare so well it shouldn't be the exception.
Also I'd suggest, for variety, to not get rid of the timed missions entirely. It'd make sense that sometimes ADVENT's response would be to send interceptors to shoot down the skyranger if they have any available nearby. Whether to add escalating reinforcements to those particular missions is a matter of taste I guess.

With the necessity to dedicate actions/item to acquiring bodies, a small squad would be even more punishing. You'll need to make sure there's an incentive to vary the size depending on circumstances (ideal would be to see the map before the mission, but not sure it's moddable. however that would be the most decisive factor: on a big map you want to sneak around as long as possible to cover the distance, on a small one going for shock and awe with 8 dudes is more viable)

For the enemies that don't leave a body, make them buyable through the black market? Although that's boring.

From the SMG mod It seems it's possible to mod in modifiers for the detection range of enemy units. That's another lever for you to use to adjust difficulty with squad size. Also, I'd love if star soldiers, with their face plastered all over the cities, had a penalty against detection by civilians.

Another consideration for balance would be to increase the means to incapacitate/distract the aliens to help the player bug out since having to flee in the face of impossible odds will be the rule rather than the exception. Improved flashbangs and smoke maybe?

Ok I'm done armchair modding. I really like your ideas btw and I'm really looking forward to trying our your mod.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

oh dope posted:

Is there some weird rule about Null Lance that I'm not aware of? I've only used it twice and both times (on separate missions) it simply went right through the enemies and did exactly nothing. No ! Missed or anything. Most recently I tried against a Codex and an Archon that were wide open, no cover, and my psi dude did his thing to zero effect. I'm really bad at this game.

You might have a mod installed that is messing with it. I saw on Grimy's Loot Mod that some people were reporting that Null Lance didn't work, and I experienced it too.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

BenRGamer posted:

How are you going to handle XP if wiping the enemy isn't a win condition and ghosting is possible?

Part of the reason I won't do this change til I've done more play testing on the missions and see how many kills come out of them on average. My mind would be towards raising mission XP and lowering kill XP, and having the ability to train troops up more than just squaddie rank. That would be tempered with requiring mission experience & maybe leaving behind a trainer. It will be tricky to balance, I want to see how many more soldiers die / get injured on missions comparatively.

Zokalwe posted:

I would change the order of progression: 6&7 would activate all pods but still start in concealment, and 8 would be just like you said. I think having all pods activate fits the idea of guerilla warfare so well it shouldn't be the exception.
Also I'd suggest, for variety, to not get rid of the timed missions entirely. It'd make sense that sometimes ADVENT's response would be to send interceptors to shoot down the skyranger if they have any available nearby. Whether to add escalating reinforcements to those particular missions is a matter of taste I guess.

With the necessity to dedicate actions/item to acquiring bodies, a small squad would be even more punishing. You'll need to make sure there's an incentive to vary the size depending on circumstances (ideal would be to see the map before the mission, but not sure it's moddable. however that would be the most decisive factor: on a big map you want to sneak around as long as possible to cover the distance, on a small one going for shock and awe with 8 dudes is more viable)

For the enemies that don't leave a body, make them buyable through the black market? Although that's boring.

From the SMG mod It seems it's possible to mod in modifiers for the detection range of enemy units. That's another lever for you to use to adjust difficulty with squad size. Also, I'd love if star soldiers, with their face plastered all over the cities, had a penalty against detection by civilians.

Another consideration for balance would be to increase the means to incapacitate/distract the aliens to help the player bug out since having to flee in the face of impossible odds will be the rule rather than the exception. Improved flashbangs and smoke maybe?

Ok I'm done armchair modding. I really like your ideas btw and I'm really looking forward to trying our your mod.

Yeah, there's a LOT of different ways I can push this, and I think the other lever I'll end up introducing is an XCOM Threat Level, sort of an additional bar to the Avatar Project that shows how well you're doing + how seriously the ayys are taking you. High Threat Level, quicker and stronger reinforcements.

It's gonna throw the balance all out of whack the moment I start doing that though so I'll be taking my time on introducing these non mission changes.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Yoked posted:

You might have a mod installed that is messing with it. I saw on Grimy's Loot Mod that some people were reporting that Null Lance didn't work, and I experienced it too.

Ah, I do have that mod so that could be the problem. I tried using it again on a chrysalid during a retaliation mission. It was out in the open, on the same elevation, and I made sure it was targeted properly. Went right through him. Oh well. Can I respec psi soldiers?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wouldn't having all pods be active at the start mean you could just camp one spot and have them funnel into your death zone?

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Internet Kraken posted:

Wouldn't having all pods be active at the start mean you could just camp one spot and have them funnel into your death zone?

I'm not sure if you've played XCOM2 yet but there are these things called mission timers? or something which basically puts the onus on you to get poo poo done

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Internet Kraken posted:

Not if it also means constant and exponentially building reinforcements (which is how the mod will work). The idea is if you take a full squad of 8 you're committing to a full court press towards the objective because the enemy will respond in kind (and will have way more troops available than you will given enough time)

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Usually it means they stay further away than you can comfortably engage them and take pot shots at you. They only have to nail one of their 25% shots to ruin your day.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Why are Pods called Pods instead of groups or squads or whatever? Classic X-Com terminology or programming term for them or....?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Because the aliens are space whales

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

a cow posted:

I'm not sure if you've played XCOM2 yet but there are these things called mission timers? or something which basically puts the onus on you to get poo poo done

There's also a bunch of missions that don't feature timers.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Not if it also means constant and exponentially building reinforcements (which is how the mod will work). The idea is if you take a full squad of 8 you're committing to a full court press towards the objective because the enemy will respond in kind (and will have way more troops available than you will given enough time)

Ah, I see. That sounds interesting.

ZearothK posted:

Why are Pods called Pods instead of groups or squads or whatever? Classic X-Com terminology or programming term for them or....?

I dunno why pods stuck but original X-com didn't have them. All aliens on the map were active the moment you started the mission. Which meant you could exit the skyranger and get blown up by a sectoid camping the entrance.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 28, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ZearothK posted:

Well it's not 94 XCOM because enemies were not organized in the same way, they were instead scattered about individually for the most part.

Which was the death of many of my soldiers back in the day, as one lone goddamn sectoid hides out in a barn and reaction fires their faces off.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I always figured it was "Pods" to sound like a weirder take on "Squads". :shrug:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Moola posted:

Because the aliens are space whales

Wait, so Dishonored 2 is before or after the Terror from the Deep expansion for XCOM 2?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's a shame the other beam weapons aren't as badass sounding/looking as the cannon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Note to self: do not download character pools from 4chan

edit: I could believe a scottish man would be named ballstink though tbh. Yknow what I'm gonna give this guy a chance. I wanna see him rise through the ranks.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
A pod is a valid group noun, y'know! I don't know why they picked it (and it's possibly some programmer's acronym for something else), but you can have, for example, a pod of whales.

The squad size difficulty mod sounds really good by the way. Could there be a way to make it interact with the alien threat level style mod - or rather, in this case, the Avatar project timer? And then make that so it the reduction for plot events is cut in half, and facilities only ever reward one pip?

Having both the force strength modifier in place for Avatar / game progress AND the squad force response in tandem would change the dynamic of the game completely and I think for the better.

A 'lite' version of the squad size mod would be good, too really ... like for example full alert with 6, no conceal with 5 and conceal with 4. I personally (and hopefully I'm not the only one) can't stand increased squad size. Eight people seems way unfair even with greatly increased pod sizes and activate all mods simply because of the interaction of skills and AOE/multi target effects between troops at that point, and it makes most of the avenger entry cutscenes look janky.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIX8TsnBRiU

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
You're doing good work.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Christ that's perfect. I love this! Thanks for the mod :)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The red wizard hat slew me.

:five:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Moogle posted:

A 'lite' version of the squad size mod would be good, too really ... like for example full alert with 6, no conceal with 5 and conceal with 4. I personally (and hopefully I'm not the only one) can't stand increased squad size. Eight people seems way unfair even with greatly increased pod sizes and activate all mods simply because of the interaction of skills and AOE/multi target effects between troops at that point, and it makes most of the avenger entry cutscenes look janky.

Yeah, to be honest the more I think about it, it'd be nice to try and keep 4-6 as the standard before running to the 6-8 everyone sees as the go to. The game is much more heavily playtested at 4-6 so it makes sense to try not to leave that balance for now, as it throws everything all over the place as far as balance. XCOM soldiers have a poo poo load of AOE and Multitarget abilities that just smash the enemy especially when they clump.

In other news manually looting supply raids is going to be tricky, and it's pretty likely I'll need to write completely new code for the objectives to make them retrievable, which likely means overriding every Land and Cover Parcel that has supplies in it. I think it'll make supply raids much more interesting though. What I'm thinking is you have a garrison and the distress beacon. If you kill the distress beacon before it runs out it buys you a few turns before reinforcements start streaming in, and you can try and loot the gear with the time you've earned.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 28, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Could you do something interesting like replace it with objective chests, and/or make those chests spawn things(off of the hack) that you have to carry out?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Is there an easy way to replace the track samples with full music on our own?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If downloading the XCOM SDK / Unreal UDK 3, sampling your own music, editing them down to 20 second clips, then creating a random sound cue from them then linking it in the config is easy then yeah.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
That's the plan, I'll just be working in uncharted territory. Fun fact, the recover item mission works like that however it's all scripted in Kismet (so hard coded to a single objective). You rarely see it because the "Extract Item" objective only appears when you drop an evac, but it's there and the objective success is tied to whoever did the hack evacuating the mission. I believe it also handles death of the courier and then recovery of the item from the ground but I haven't tested that bit.

Edit: it might be better to implement the Fulton harness first really, mainly because I already have a rough idea how to do that with corpses. I'll need the harness for the full reimagining of supply raids to work.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
drat :v:

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

For Guerilla War would it be possible to rework the black market so that you could purchase corpses rather than only sell them? It seems like this would give you another tool in balancing out the changes the mission structure will have on corpse loot.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, to be honest the more I think about it, it'd be nice to try and keep 4-6 as the standard before running to the 6-8 everyone sees as the go to. The game is much more heavily playtested at 4-6 so it makes sense to try not to leave that balance for now, as it throws everything all over the place as far as balance. XCOM soldiers have a poo poo load of AOE and Multitarget abilities that just smash the enemy especially when they clump.

In other news manually looting supply raids is going to be tricky, and it's pretty likely I'll need to write completely new code for the objectives to make them retrievable, which likely means overriding every Land and Cover Parcel that has supplies in it. I think it'll make supply raids much more interesting though. What I'm thinking is you have a garrison and the distress beacon. If you kill the distress beacon before it runs out it buys you a few turns before reinforcements start streaming in, and you can try and loot the gear with the time you've earned.

I've actually switched to default squad size of 5, and bumped up the cost for Squad Size I and II by about 200 supplies.

The reason for 5 is because I'm using Lubrication's Infantry Class mod, so I like being able to get all 5 classes from a successful Gatecrasher mission.

I'm also using Increased Enemy Squad Size (not the plus version) and the Fatigue mod, so there is that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Moogle posted:

A pod is a valid group noun, y'know! I don't know why they picked it (and it's possibly some programmer's acronym for something else), but you can have, for example, a pod of whales.

Yeah, I know that. I am just curious about where the term originated from in relation to the packs of aliens in XCOM, was it Firaxis or the community? Is it like every group is a little monster egg that cracks open when players approach? This is keeping me awake at night.

[Edit] Okay, it is from Firaxis and it is what they've used in programming and the community picked it up from there, from actors within XComAlienPod. I guess I have to scream at Jake on Twitter or something.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 28, 2016

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Bless.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Moogle posted:

A pod is a valid group noun, y'know! I don't know why they picked it (and it's possibly some programmer's acronym for something else)

I think it's because Beagle started using the term when he played EU, and he had the best videos, so it stuck.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

teddust posted:

For Guerilla War would it be possible to rework the black market so that you could purchase corpses rather than only sell them? It seems like this would give you another tool in balancing out the changes the mission structure will have on corpse loot.

Seems like you'd want to boost intel rewards then. Maybe make every successful hack always get you some bonus intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Just adding carry states and rejigging missions tonight. Removed Extract VIP (which I may eventually turn into Protect and Extract, with Evac disabled for 6 turns), and reworked Retaliation, Rescue and Extract to have unlocked extractions. It may be necessary to make reinforcements more responsive here given how quickly you can possibly storm an objective.

Also, Vipers are awkward to carry.