Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Commissar Ken posted:

Jesus christ. Expect another all day maintenance on Wed too.

in beta they released chars w/o patches so might be just unlocking it on wed. might not need another patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

the capcom own zone

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Capcom server team is outsourced to gradeschoolers.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The obvious solution to the servers breaking under everyone trying to access the new content is just to take them offline all day altogether.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Capcom can only afford to use the free hours on all the left over AOL disks from the 90's to upload the patch.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

so i guess when they said "the patch will drop monday" they were really only talking about north america, lmao keep being The Worst capcom

Puzzle Thing
Dec 12, 2006
Your life is as steak!

TheManSeries posted:

What are Karin's mixup options? I've got my BnB down and have some general theory as how to play her, but I want to keep my pressure up and start opening people up after they block my BnB a few times. I've used throws and walk up throws to help add pressure, but I feel like I'm still lacking.

Karin doesn't have any real mix-up options. Her forward+mk is okay, but every other overhead she has is kinda terrible. All the mix-ups in her Rekkas are terrible. Ressenha is terrible to use on someone who might block except for a special set-up off an Orochi crumple.

In general, Karin gets her damage from having amazing buttons, playing footsies super super well, frame traps, and capitalizing well off any hit you land. I geuss some basic stuff to realize:

cr.MP, st.MP is a frame trap, st.mk at the end of that works well too. After any blocked st.mk, watch your opponent. If you see them move forward or try to stick out a normal, immediately hit st.HK or cr.HK.

st.LK is great, and it links to cr.MK on counter-hit, which happens alot more than you realize. Practice leading into a JFL combo from it, or just orochi if you wanna play it safe.

You can also use the jabjab reset in the corner if you wanna get tricky. After one JFL in the corner, whiff two jabs. The second jab will strike your opponent, and cause an air reset. If you dash immediately after the strike, you'll end up behind them. It's situational, but it can be useful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD4XSHszGoY It's more useful just to work on the other stuff tho.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Cat Machine posted:

so i guess when they said "the patch will drop monday" they were really only talking about north america, lmao keep being The Worst capcom

Don't pretend like this is new or unique to Capcom , Europe always gets screwed with releases of anything, especially game maintenance and patches. At least it's not a 'comes out Tuesday in USA, Friday Europe'

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Can't find any players for ranked online. Will the patch fix this?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Golem II posted:

Can't find any players for ranked online. Will the patch fix this?

they haven't acknowledged any of the netplay problems

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

they haven't acknowledged any of the netplay problems

or really any technical problem at all

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Once again if you're in Europe, enjoy a day where you can't play the game.

Other way around. Maintenance starts at 6pm BST, so you have a day of being able to play the game, you just can't play this evening.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so tomorrow is the first update, anyone know what time

11:59 PM I bet

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

I just checked, I'm about an hour north by UCF. Not terribly far considering most places in Orlando require a 30-40 minute commute. Do you guys do weekly/monthly things or anything like that?

Sorry for the late reply. We do weekly gatherings on Mondays and we run a bracket every month. I sent you a PM with a link to the Facebook group we use to organize!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
edit: wrong thread

To make things more relevant, I learned that I should always do a button check, even if I'm playing SFV on an arcade cab. Who the gently caress changes the buttons on a arcade cab? I dunno. But halfway through a match I realized I have two roundhouses and no fierce. Derp.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 28, 2016

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Agoat posted:

11:59 PM I bet
in the case of europe this is literally true

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gammatron 64 posted:

edit: wrong thread

To make things more relevant, I learned that I should always do a button check, even if I'm playing SFV on an arcade cab. Who the gently caress changes the buttons on a arcade cab? I dunno. But halfway through a match I realized I have two roundhouses and no fierce. Derp.

If you like Medieval Madness I'd suggest getting Monster Bash, it's pretty good.

Pinball Arcade has a ton of good tables, it's hard to go wrong unless you dislike older pinball.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I've seen various people say that people "just" need to get used to reacting to Infiltration's dashes and stuff them with a jab. Some back of the envelope math:
(dash + throw) - (total input lag + jab + time to visually id dash (x) + reaction time (y)) = 0

Inserting some numbers in there in terms of ms:
(282 + 83) - (120 + 50 + x + y) = 0
y = 195 - x

So, if you could instantly visually id* a dash you would have 195s to react and get your jab out .. at the same time as the throw active frames, which actually isn't good enough. So you really have 178.6ms minus whatever time it takes to visually id a dash from another neutral input.

I don't know how long it takes to visually distinguish a dash from a boom or a jump in or a shimmy or poke or whatever. It seems unlikely that the answer is anything less than 1f though ;). One thing that I think is interesting is last night on twitter Ricki was saying that she thinks Chun has a "hiccup" in her dash compared to Nash. I think Chun might have a visually front-loaded dash animation compared to Nash, but haven't actually taken a look. Theoretically, if you had a dash that just stood still or looked like walking for 16f and then moved forward for 1f, vs a dash that flashed distinctly on frame 1, the former dash would be much more difficult to react to because you can't distinguish it from other things you might need to react to like a boom, jump in, etc.

Anyways, it seems unlikely that you can punish his dash on reaction if your mental stack is loaded up with looking for booms, jump ins, shimmies, whiffs, etc. But maybe I'm missing something

*Supposedly our reaction times are worse from visual cues than sound cues

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I was talking to a buddy about this the other day, but I think a really important skill that I think doesn't get talked about a lot is emotional control. I played in a local tournament on Saturday and I played really lovely. I didn't get the practice on the 3-day weekend like I thought I would because of various real life things.

I lost to a Ryu fair and square, then I went up against a guy who is known for being terrible and we call him the black DSP because that's basically what he is. 9/10 times I can wipe the floor with him and so can everyone else. I was like "man, if I loose to this guy, I'm just gonna commit seppuku." I saw I was up against him and got really cocky thinking it was gonna be a free win.

First of all, I didn't do a button check, because it was played on an arcade cab and who seriously changes the buttons on that? Welp, halfway through the match I realize I have 2 roundhouses and no fierce. I'm a little flustered at this point and I don't even call him out when he pauses the game in the next match. He's playing Laura and being random as hell, is doing unsafe poo poo and keeps catching me with her v-skill which I think is butt, and is super unsafe and really easy to punish. Well, I didn't punish it. The guy narrowly beats me because I got worked up and played stupid. I was extremely pissed at myself.

I figured since this was a 3 day weekend I could get up to silver as it would be a measily 300 LP, but I wound up dropping 200 to a Ryu who just jumped and comboed afterwards. I managed to DP him most of the time, but not enough and I kept getting caught by his crossups. I was not feeling too great, so I decided to quit before I made things worse.

I've more or less discovered the key to doing well in tournament play is to not care if you win or lose. I've managed to hold my own against players much better than me because I just took a deep breath and decided it didn't matter if I lost. The second I become afraid of losing, I have already lost because I get desperate and stop thinking clearly. I do stupid stuff, drop my combos and let people get away with stuff they shouldn't.

I think keeping your emotions in check is an extremely important skill, and a really hard one too, because top players choke and get pissed off all the time. Part of the reason why Daigo is so great is he often doesn't care about the outcome of the battle and stays cool under pressure.

No poo poo, I literally play better after I've had a drink or two because alcohol relaxes me and it makes me not give a poo poo about anything. I'm like Peter Griffin who becomes a piano master when he's drunk.

So basically tl;dr, what I'm saying is that to get good at Street Fighter, you basically need to not give a poo poo and become an alcoholic

Swagger Dagger posted:

If you like Medieval Madness I'd suggest getting Monster Bash, it's pretty good.

Pinball Arcade has a ton of good tables, it's hard to go wrong unless you dislike older pinball.

Yeah, I'll check it out, thanks!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
With the amount of input lag, Nash dash is basically equivalent to 3s Makoto (including distance). You can throw tech on reaction (sometimes) but you're not going punish it on reactions alone.

The dash speeds would be manageable with a reasonable amount (even 4f) of input lag.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Gammatron 64 posted:

No poo poo, I literally play better after I've had a drink or two because alcohol relaxes me and it makes me not give a poo poo about anything. I'm like Peter Griffin who becomes a piano master when he's drunk.

So basically tl;dr, what I'm saying is that to get good at Street Fighter, you basically need to not give a poo poo and become an alcoholic

Spot-on post in general but this part is so true it's scary. I have a few drinks and I simply cannot get mad anymore.

Regarding the update today, I assume it'll go live at 11:59 Hawaii time.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Satorr posted:

Spot-on post in general but this part is so true it's scary. I have a few drinks and I simply cannot get mad anymore.

Regarding the update today, I assume it'll go live at 11:59 Hawaii time.

I think it varies from person to person though, as there are different kinds of drunks. Some people are angry drunks. And if you are, don't do this. Me, I just become very sleepy and give no shits about anything. You could gently caress my mother and if I have enough beers in me I'll be like "yeah, whatever."

The right balance is key though. You gotta drink enough to calm your nerves, but you also can't drink too much or else you risk becoming super retarded and lose all hand-eye coordination.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
dont gently caress your mother

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm usually that guy that gets his rear end kicked in Street Fighter and goes "Yeah man that was sick." :shobon:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone who missed it, servers bout to go down for 7 hours to bringing the salty runback option (yes!) and real lobbies - up to 8 people and spectating. Gonna be Wednesday before Alex and the shop are added in.

Challenge Mode
Demonstrations: Learn the ins and outs of Street Fighter V through helpful demonstration and tutorial content. Contains content for each of the 16 characters, as well as advice geared towards players of all skill levels:
Beginner Tutorials: 12 lessons covering, movement, normal attacks, special attacks, V-System, throws, counter hits, chip/recoverable damage, etc.
Intermediate Tutorials: 11 lessons covering projectiles, invincibility frames, armor and armor break, recovery, cross-up attacks, anti-air options, etc.
Advanced Tutorials: 4 lessons covering back dashing, frame advantage/disadvantage, combo potential, button priority, etc.
Character Tutorials: 16 lessons covering each individual character.
Trials: Put your skills to the ultimate test with combo trials for all 16 characters, ranging from basic to pro combos. Completing Trials will also earn you some extra Fight Money.
Online Rematch Option
Salty from a close loss online? Want revenge? Players can now play a 2/3 set in Ranked Match and Casual Matches, provided both players accept the rematch.
Battle Lounge Improvements
Enjoy up to 8 person lobbies, complete with match spectating.
Bug fixes and gameplay balancing
Various game bugs have been fixed, along with minor gameplay balancing. For more details please see the previous post.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Cross-posting here:
https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/714301748953817088

I've also read old interviews where he said he preferred training mode to grinding. I wonder what his training routines look like. How does he practice neutral and defense for example. Obviously it's probably not a coincidence that he knows how to play a lot of characters.

He plays a lot online against JP players though, so it's not like he's in the infiltration dojo all alone every day. But he still looks far and away more situationally aware than anyone else I've seen playing, right now

e: also poor poongko

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

With the amount of input lag, Nash dash is basically equivalent to 3s Makoto (including distance). You can throw tech on reaction (sometimes) but you're not going punish it on reactions alone.

The dash speeds would be manageable with a reasonable amount (even 4f) of input lag.

Explains a lot of my luck with Ken.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I wonder when the server will actually go online and then when will people actually be able to connect so we can try out some challenges. I'm inching to play after being out of town!!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite thing about R Mika is that in her intro she doesn't say some bullshit about the heart of battle or whatever, she just throws it out there that she's gonna kick your rear end.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Agoat posted:

My favorite thing about R Mika is that in her intro she doesn't say some bullshit about the heart of battle or whatever, she just throws it out there that she's gonna kick your rear end.

I like the characters that have specific smug comments about other characters during their victory messages. Karin and Ken are real low-key douchey to each other, it's great.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
It would be nice if characters had 3 or 4 opening dialogues just so it's not the same thing every time. But... I forget who we're talking about.

MKX must have what, at least 500 recorded opening dialogues?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NarkyBark posted:

It would be nice if characters had 3 or 4 opening dialogues just so it's not the same thing every time. But... I forget who we're talking about.

MKX must have what, at least 500 recorded opening dialogues?

99.99% of the time people are mashing start to skip the intros anyway, adding 500 lines of intro dialogue isn't exactly money well spent.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Is general consensus that octagonal restrictor plates are loving dogshit?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Agoat posted:

'i am not very fond of conflic-I'LL KICK YOUR rear end'

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

betterinsodapop posted:

Not necessarily dogshit, but there's no reason to use one. Square is the standard for a reason.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

betterinsodapop posted:

Someone should post the chart, but it basically has a higher chance of just eating your diagonal imputs when you go for DPs and stuff, or something like that.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

bhsman posted:

Someone should post the chart, but it basically has a higher chance of just eating your diagonal imputs when you go for DPs and stuff, or something like that.
Yeah, that's kind of what's going on. It's tough to do DPs. For some stupid reason, I thought it was a good idea to replace the square gate w/the octo gate when I bought this stick a few years ago. Sucks.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Theoretically, why would you want an octagonal gate in the first place? Arcade games?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Gunder posted:

Theoretically, why would you want an octagonal gate in the first place? Arcade games?

Because on paper it seems like it would smooth out circular motions and make them more consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

betterinsodapop posted:

You're going to have a harder time playing on one. Seriously. DPs and charge characters are much, much easier with a square gate. If you are a charge character, you're going to want to hold down-back a lot and it's a lot harder when you have a slope instead of a corner. And circular gates? Forget about it.

You can technically play well with an octagonal if you wanted to, just like there are many great pad players out there (and if you play pad, you'd want a special Sega Saturn style fightpad as standard Playstation controllers are tough to use for fighters), but I'd say all you'd be doing is making things more difficult for no added benefit. And fighting games are already pretty hard, so you don't need to make things harder.

You can play on whatever you want and I'm not gonna judge you for it. If it works for you, it works for you. But in my personal experience, octagonal gates just make life harder for no reason.