Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Golden Bee posted:

Dwarves were created by the God of Battle. Unfortunately, the God made them too well; they ate him and live on the island of his hollowed-out scorpion body.

that is metal af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Clockwork Gadget posted:

that is metal af

thanks

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I still fondly remember the races the players in my playtest campaign came up with.

Dwarves: Psychotic ultra-libertarian nationalists, who came in a Hill Dwarf (darkvision) and Mer-Dwarf (gills) varieties. Declared Race Wars against basically everyone as often as they could, as soon as they thought they might be able to take stuff off them. Had Lust For Gold And Power as a genetic trait and were all around back-stabbing megabastards who would have been the bad guys in a different game. Basically, they're the dwarves from Dwarf Fortress. Unreasonable, aggressive and slightly mental. Their proprietary magic is a form of muscle wizardry, enhancing their physical strength and endurance.

Halflings: Nomadic sorta-Kender who have no concept of personal property and spend their entire lives stealing everything they can get their filthy, pint-sized hands on. Physically incapable of feeling fear and so have a massively short lifespan. Their capital city, Boarbulon, is a roving caravanserai on the backs of the giant boars that Halflings breed. Contains one of the greatest libraries in the world, as it has all kinds of ancient and hard to find tomes that the halflings have stolen over the years. Boarbulon makes the same circuit of the land year after year. Smaller shard caravans make up the other Halfling "towns". There is a subrace called Three-quarterlings who are the same height but twice as wide. They are used exclusively to steal from Orcs.

Orcs: An artificial warrior race from the ancient world. Individual Orcs happen when an Orc injects some of his blood into a corpse, which then mutates into an eight foot, grey skinned, heavily muscled supersoldier. Orcs are born as adults and do not age, but the Orc population as a whole undergoes statistical apoptosis as a given percentage of Orcs just keel over dead each year. They survive exclusively on ambient magic and don't need to eat or drink. Each Orc is born with the languages and knowledges they need to survive as a warrior, but constantly look for ways to improve. When an Orc regiment invents a particularly good new tactic or weapon, one of the Orcs volunteers to travel around "patching" all other Orc regiments it finds - thereby increasing the combat effectiveness of the Orc race as a whole. Orcs form into warrior regiments which then sell their services to the highest bidder - there are no Orc settlements or civilians, every member of the race either belongs to one of these warbands or has decided to split off and go on a pilgrimage to attempt to form their own warband. Most warfare in the setting involves pitting Orc regiments against each other, because hey ho they're good at it.

Elves: Elves are immortal scientists who spend alternate periods travelling the world to find new knowledge and then remaining cloistered in elf settlements to write up all they've discovered. Their immortality comes from them actually being frozen in time, a trait which their craftwork inherits - elven items are strange, unchanging and static. Have their own form of nature magic exclusive to them, and live in forest cities grown from living wood which are permanently shrouded from the sight of non-elves. Elves are peaceful but not pacifistic - they defend their nation and their forests against dwarven and human aggression on a regular basis, but rarely if ever actually invade anyone. Most elves are highly individualistic and somewhat lonesome, with their government being one based on age and experience - more an advisory council of elders thing than a single strong leader.

Humans: Have a pseudo-hivemind where the emotional states of all humans in an area are averaged. I've posted about these guys on TG before. Split into two large empires which are constantly at war with one another - humans as a race are fairly warlike, as it's very difficult for them to stop fighting against a target the race has decided is the enemy. On an individual level, humans are perfectly reasonable people, but individuals find it very difficult to avoid along with the crowd.

Slaugth: Matriarchal, caste-based lizardpeople who are a single contiguous empire under the rulership of a single (enormous dinosaur) Queen. Different subraces of lizard are different castes in their society, which is highly ordered and regimented. Slaugth have the slightly unusual ability that they do not (and cannot) speak, but if they lock eyes with you they can communicate telepathically regardless of language barriers. Slaugth Diplomat caste are very highly in demand as interpreters and emissaries, for obvious reasons. The Slaugth are somewhat xenophobic, but not aggressive. They are considered aloof, and their empire tends to stick to its own affairs and the enigmatic long term plans of the Queen. They don't have any problem defending themselves from Dwarvish aggression, though.

Morrigi: Strange tribal nomads who live in the northern desert. They are anteater-people who vary rarely leave their territory and don't have much of a civilisation as far as the southern races know. Morrigi are varely rarely seen in groups and are not often seen at all, even in their own lands, thanks to their highly unusual racial trait - they can teleport. Morrigi are actually dual-natured beings which live mostly inside their own dream-dimension, occasionally stepping out into the real world when curiosity strikes them. All their actual settlements live in the dream, which is why nobody has ever found them. Their "teleportation" is actually them stepping into and out of the dream, where time flows differently. Peaceful and spiritual, they have little to no interest in the real world.

Blind Seers: A race of only a few hundred members. They are immortal, constantly reincarnating in the caves under their sole monastery whenever they die. Every time they reincarnate, they are born with a new, complete prophecy. Each Seer spends each one of its lives travelling alone, trying to fulfill or prevent their prophecy depending on how bad it is. They have very strange and very powerful magics and their words are usually given great attention from the other races. When a Blind Seer shows up in town prophecying doom, you get off your rear end and do what it says.

The Overlord in this campaign was called Arendhel the Corruptor, and his thing was that he was bound to the corrupted Tree of Life at the heart of creation, and spread his corruption as a cloud of miasma that mutated people and turned them evil. The southern human empire and the Slaugth had historically held him in check, but the campaign began with two disasters occuring: The Witch-Queen of the Southern Empire declared her loyalty to Arendhel and starting reaping chaos and destruction while simultaneously The Dragon's Tooth - the mountain where Arendhel made his home - took the gently caress off into the skies and flew away, making a mockery of the defenses that the races had arrayed against him over the millennia. I had good fun coming up with evil versions of each of the races - they had their respective racial traits inverted - humans were cut off from the hivemind and became a black, emotionless void. Dwarves had the opposite and formed ten-to-twenty person collective consciousnesses. Halflings became Darklings, who had illusion powers and really liked stealing people's lives. Orcs lost most of their minds and became individual, mutated killing machines instead of the team-based soldiers they used to be. Slaugth got psychic powers which they use to psychically violate people. Blind Seers only get prophecies of doom, but want to fulfill them. The Elves' immortality becomes time control. Morrigi can drag people into the dream and make it become a nightmare.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
How easy is it to play the giant as gundam or a big from big o?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

How easy is it to play the giant as gundam or a big from big o?

Probably infinitely if you go for either the Giants of Myth (if they rarely act outside of their robot) or Giants of Spirit if they are often outside of it. The other Giant types would work for someone who's trapped inside their robot or is using it as a life-support system. The special Giant Fellowships can be re-skinned as other super robots and their pilots and one of the Overlord's Army types are "The Titans," which also skins well to a swarm of Zakus/whatever.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Can someone clarify how bonds work? Namely, are they one sided or dual sided?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Neopie posted:

Can someone clarify how bonds work? Namely, are they one sided or dual sided?

Bonds are one-sided. A bond the Dwarf writes with the Elf's name in it does not need the Elf to also have a bond with the Dwarf. Just because you have feelings and opinions about someone does not mean they hold the same ones about you.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
Quick question: in the bit about Overlord stats, it mentions that each stat is associated with a Source of Power. Since the Overlord starts with three Overlord stats, does that mean they control three Sources of Power, each associated with a stat?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

Quick question: in the bit about Overlord stats, it mentions that each stat is associated with a Source of Power. Since the Overlord starts with three Overlord stats, does that mean they control three Sources of Power, each associated with a stat?

Sort of. The number of Sources of Power the Overlord has under their control is not known or mentioned until they become relevant, and having a Source of Power taken from them is not the only way they can lose a stat. The fellowship can also take an unclaimed source of power and use it to weaken the Overlord, making the Overlord lose a stat that way. At that point, the stat becomes associated with that Source of Power and the Overlord can get their power back by taking it from the fellowship.

So, they MIGHT have 3 Sources of Power. 3 is definitely the most they could potentially start with. But they might not even have any sources of power at all! The three stats you start with do not become associated with a Source of Power until a source of power is taken by the fellowship.

Also, Kickstarter update, featuring the full Giant Expansion Pack and the Dragon playbook.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Champion of Fire says the Dragon gets four Custom Moves as their Core Moves, but Dragon's Custom says they select three moves. Which one is correct?

E: Also, the White has the Trickster's text, for Fellowships, and the Final Form's first advance refers to True Dragon Customs.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 28, 2016

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

When the Dragon was picked, I wasn't a big fan. Dragons, ho hum, been there done that.

But I really like how this playbook is shaping up, and the move That Wasn't Even My Final Form has me sold. Excited for a kobold to go SSJ3 at a dramatic moment.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hey! I just finished reading the entire ruleset for the first time, in preparation for actually running this thing. I do have questions about a couple of things:

1. During Downtime, how often does the Overlord get a turn? Just once every go around the table? That seems to make sense, but I wasn't sure.

2. Regarding Sources of Power, the section I am confused about reads as follows "When you seize a new Source of Power, gain a new stat of your choice.
When you gain or lose a Source of Power, write down which stat that
Source of Power is tied to - if you lose or regain that Source of Power in the
future, it takes the stat with it."

Are there stats associated with specific Sources of Power at the start of the game/does the Overlord have a Source of Power at the start of the game? Does the Overlord backfill Stats with Sources of Power, or will they have "unassigned" Stats as the game progresses?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mors Rattus posted:

Champion of Fire says the Dragon gets four Custom Moves as their Core Moves, but Dragon's Custom says they select three moves. Which one is correct?

E: Also, the White has the Trickster's text, for Fellowships, and the Final Form's first advance refers to True Dragon Customs.

Maaan I fixed all of those (except the one with the White, I did miss that one) but forgot to update the file I uploaded, I'll re-upload it in a minute. It'll be at the same link location.

But to answer: they get 4 moves, the White move isn't actually written yet, and yeah they should mention Final Form Customs.

~Early Drafts~

EDIT: Updated the file now, you can redownload and receive a proper White Dragon Fellowship Move as well as those typo fixes.

Green Intern posted:

Hey! I just finished reading the entire ruleset for the first time, in preparation for actually running this thing. I do have questions about a couple of things:

1. During Downtime, how often does the Overlord get a turn? Just once every go around the table? That seems to make sense, but I wasn't sure.

Yeah that's correct.

quote:

2. Regarding Sources of Power, the section I am confused about reads as follows

"When you seize a new Source of Power, gain a new stat of your choice. When you gain or lose a Source of Power, write down which stat that Source of Power is tied to - if you lose or regain that Source of Power in the future, it takes the stat with it."

Are there stats associated with specific Sources of Power at the start of the game/does the Overlord have a Source of Power at the start of the game? Does the Overlord backfill Stats with Sources of Power, or will they have "unassigned" Stats as the game progresses?

The stats are unassigned until a source of power assigns them. The Overlord can start with up to three Sources of Power or even have zero of them, and their stats do not need to be assigned to any given source of power until the fellowship takes it and uses it to weaken the Overlord (either by taking/destroying a source the Overlord already had, or by using a new Source of Power to weaken the Overlord in some way). They are back-filled in as needed.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 28, 2016

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
It's the most minor nitpick ever and I'm really liking a lot of what I'm seeing, but this is kind of killing me, komodo dragons are venomous, bites can't be poisonous.

Dragon's looking pretty rad though!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

sentrygun posted:

It's the most minor nitpick ever and I'm really liking a lot of what I'm seeing, but this is kind of killing me, komodo dragons are venomous, bites can't be poisonous.

Dragon's looking pretty rad though!

I mean if we want to get super technical, real life komodo dragons don't have venom. Their saliva is food for a symbiotic bacteria that lives in their mouth and leads to infections if it gets into open wounds. It's actually a diseased bite!

Which is still not poisonous, so yeah I'll change it.

EDIT: Actually, looking into it more, apparently that bacteria thing was the popular scientific theory because they have no venom sacks in their throat like every other venomous lizard. Up until 2009, that is, when it was discovered they have venom sacks in their goddamn teeth. So no its not a symbiotic bacteria, it is actually venom. Learn something new every day.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 28, 2016

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Yeah, komodos are real hosed up. Which makes them an excellent pet, of course.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

gnome7 posted:

I mean if we want to get super technical, real life komodo dragons don't have venom. Their saliva is food for a symbiotic bacteria that lives in their mouth and leads to infections if it gets into open wounds. It's actually a diseased bite!

Which is still not poisonous, so yeah I'll change it.

EDIT: Actually, looking into it more, apparently that bacteria thing was the popular scientific theory because they have no venom sacks in their throat like every other venomous lizard. Up until 2009, that is, when it was discovered they have venom sacks in their goddamn teeth. So no its not a symbiotic bacteria, it is actually venom. Learn something new every day.

gently caress, that metal as hell factoid I learned for my third grade science presentation was never actually true!? :saddowns:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Daeren posted:

gently caress, that metal as hell factoid I learned for my third grade science presentation was never actually true!? :saddowns:

Instead another metal as hell factoid is true. VENOM TEETH :black101:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
For The Final Form, don't you mean "Elder Arts Spells," not "Elders Might Spells?"

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Covok posted:

For The Final Form, don't you mean "Elder Arts Spells," not "Elders Might Spells?"

Yes.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

gnome7 posted:

they have venom sacks in their goddamn teeth.

So, really, their bite is poisonous; if you ate it, you'd swallow their teeth, becoming poisoned.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

But where are the venom sacks on other poisonous animals if not in the teeth? I had always assumed they were there.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Most venomous animals just have grooved teeth to help inject their toxins with. They bite something, and the venom runs from the sack, located above the teeth, down the groove and into the wound.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Clarifications

Thanks Gnome! This is the first game in a while that I've been really excited to run myself, so I wanted to get things right!

Edit: What's the actual page where the bit about starting with Sources of Power is stated, just for reference later?

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 28, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Green Intern posted:

Edit: What's the actual page where the bit about starting with Sources of Power is stated, just for reference later?

It is not directly stated anywhere, actually. It's just heavily implied by the connection between Sources of Power and Overlord stats, along with using The One Ring as an example. I have added a paragraph to the end of the Overlord Stats move to state that clearly but that won't be in a distributed version of the book until the full release.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In The Final Form Destiny's first advancement, shouldn't it be "Dragon Custom Move", not "True Dragon Custom Move"?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Re-download the file.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

gnome7 posted:

It is not directly stated anywhere, actually. It's just heavily implied by the connection between Sources of Power and Overlord stats, along with using The One Ring as an example. I have added a paragraph to the end of the Overlord Stats move to state that clearly but that won't be in a distributed version of the book until the full release.

Sounds good. Thanks for the help!

Clockwurke Bear
Oct 3, 2011

"Of course they died because of you. It's because they are the only ones who would die for you."
So I really love this system and the idea of narrative holding such sway over all the mechanics, but I'm a little confused on "Finish Them" in relation to some threats. It may be me being very dense, but I'm curious about how strong the second phase of the Kraken or things with Tough as Nails are with the 10+ being to Destroy them and no other visible way to damage them. I'm definitely down on combat not always being hyper combative, but with the not unlikely turn of event that this happens are the threats just intended to resolve as smoothly as that?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Clockwurke Bear posted:

So I really love this system and the idea of narrative holding such sway over all the mechanics, but I'm a little confused on "Finish Them" in relation to some threats. It may be me being very dense, but I'm curious about how strong the second phase of the Kraken or things with Tough as Nails are with the 10+ being to Destroy them and no other visible way to damage them. I'm definitely down on combat not always being hyper combative, but with the not unlikely turn of event that this happens are the threats just intended to resolve as smoothly as that?

For the Kraken's second phase (assuming a standard fight sequence and not "Let's make friends with the sea monster"), the players have to target the eye of the Kraken, and in order to use Finish Them, they need to have some sort of advantage. Exactly what would be an advantage depends on the group and what the players are trying to do, but the Kraken's "Right in the Eye" threat mentions that the eye is constantly moving around, is hard to hit with ranged weapons, and will probably require someone to climb on top of it. So the first step could be the players trying to go Shadow of the Colossus on the Kraken, with maybe one or two actually climbing it while the others try to distract or Keep Busy the Kraken so it doesn't grab the climbers with its tentacles. Then you need to find some way to get the eye to stop moving around so much, and if you somehow pin it in place you could easily claim to have an advantage that lets you stab the eye, letting you roll to Finish Them.

Of course, that's only one way of how that fight could go down, no one is forced to fight it in only one way. It really depends on the group for how these set piece fights play out.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
In our game, the advantage was the giant Tossing the Halfling at the eye, picking: They land safely on their feet, They go exactly where you want them to, they crash through something or into someone. as 1 or 2 rolls. Felt underwhelming, but narratively that would take out an eye.

Edit: On reflection, I forgot that Phase 3 (save survivors!) was still part of the boss fight.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, our group took out the Kraken super easy, and didn't have any overboard pcs. But you all rolled combat powerhouses, so it's to be expected. I could have pushed the eye moving harder, and also had the Halfling who dealt the finishing blow to the eye go overboard as the rules had, but their Finish Them narration supported them surviving, so I went easy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Hey, I'm really digging the game, but I had one question with potential expansions: did you have any plans for a Gollum-like playbook? Someone corrupted by the dark powers of the Overlord but who falls in with the Fellowship for one reason or another, but who may be redeemed/ultimately gives in to the corruption but in a way that ends up being good for the Fellowship? Or do you feel like that's adequately covered with some creative twisting of the current playbooks? I know a lot of the current Fellowship playbooks are heavily based on Lord of the Rings characters, so that seemed like a surprising gap to me.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Creative use of the Harbinger could maybe work for that.

(not sure if harbinger is right name, phone posting and haven't read the book in a while)

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nuns with Guns posted:

Hey, I'm really digging the game, but I had one question with potential expansions: did you have any plans for a Gollum-like playbook? Someone corrupted by the dark powers of the Overlord but who falls in with the Fellowship for one reason or another, but who may be redeemed/ultimately gives in to the corruption but in a way that ends up being good for the Fellowship? Or do you feel like that's adequately covered with some creative twisting of the current playbooks? I know a lot of the current Fellowship playbooks are heavily based on Lord of the Rings characters, so that seemed like a surprising gap to me.

This was an idea I'd been toying with waaaay back during the initial conception of Fellowship but I could not make it work in Dungeon World in a way that wasn't reasonably different from the Thief or the Walker, so I abandoned it. And then hadn't thought about it again up until your post right here.

So maybe, yeah. It's an idea worth revisiting for sure.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Probably want a corruption track system similar to Urban Shadows.

But it's important to remember Gollum wasn't part of the Fellowship; he only appeared once it had splintered, and only to Sam and Frodo if I remember correctly. (It'd be fun to see Legolas and Gollum have a two person mission tho.)

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Yeah, my first thought is that he'd be a companion with stats like "skulk and spy" and "mutter meaningfully".

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

A "dark ally" playbook doesn't have to be 100% turncoat Renfield, either. There're plenty of places you can take it, like jealous rival, estranged progeny, or inscrutable servant of a past or future Overlord.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I mean there's also boromir, for "hero corrupted by evil".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

That Old Tree posted:

A "dark ally" playbook doesn't have to be 100% turncoat Renfield, either. There're plenty of places you can take it, like jealous rival, estranged progeny, or inscrutable servant of a past or future Overlord.

"Overlord's Beautiful Offspring", which could just be a weird twist on the heir, admittedly.

...Actually now I'm disappointed that this is not a direct option for the Heir's "Tell us about your people"