Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

If your idea of a fun time in CK2 is amassing as much land as possible as quickly as possible, Conclave will noticeably make your game less fun.

If that's your idea of a fun time, I don't judge that, but I can't for the life of my imagine why you're playing CK2 and not Civ, which is a much more fun conquer-the-world game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

If that's your idea of a fun time, I don't judge that, but I can't for the life of my imagine why you're playing CK2 and not Civ, which is a much more fun conquer-the-world game.

Because Civ doesn't have as fun of obstacles preventing you from doing it. I play every game trying to conquer the hell out of everything as much as I can, but adding in things to make it more difficult doesn't bother me, especially sensible ones like coalitions and more interactive factions. It shouldn't be a cakewalk to carve out a massive realm. I'm still playing on the pre Conclave patch because I had a game going that I want to finish before Conclave came out, but I'm pretty excited about cracking into the Conclave mechanics after that, now that it's getting to the point that all the rough edges are getting ironed out.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm going to have to take a contrarian viewpoint. I think Conclave and Way of Life are the most skippable DLC outside of Sunset Invasion. They both allow a significant amount of character customization, but I think that's kind of a double-edged sword. Given your situation, there are traits and education focus that are objectively better than the other options available, and it just doesn't make a lot of sense not to choose them. So every ruler ends up kind of being the same, and gameplay just doesn't really change a whole lot. I think without those DLCs you are forced to make do with what you have and that leads to a lot more challenging and varied game experience.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

In not so sure about that. I had a Charlemagne start a while back that turned into a Roman Conquest game when I inherited the Byzantines. My empire held all of Europe, Africa, Russia and most of the middle east. The Crusades never happened because I held all the Holy sites before they were available, my Norse vassals were turning black because they kept marrying my Ethiopians and having black heirs as a result, and my empire shattered like glass in faction wars each succession and frequently didn't stabilize until I hit old age. The game ended in about 1200 when my female ruler donned a pope hat and my empire became a theocracy for inexplicable reasons.

It was an amazing clusterfuck and easily one of my most fun and memorable games. I honestly wish I kept better record of it.

[edit]I'm trying another Charlemagne start to see if I can't recapture that magic.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 25, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Welp, my first two heirs died young and childless, leaving my mediocre third son in line for the throne. I'd granted him a far off county to get him off my back, and in the six years or so since then he'd not only married his own aunt, he'd had no less than five sons with her, all of whom have the Inbred trait but are strangely healthy and hard to kill. Welcome to the Kingdom of Eiretucky, folks, it's gonna be a rough couple of generations :smithicide:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Welp, my first two heirs died young and childless, leaving my mediocre third son in line for the throne. I'd granted him a far off county to get him off my back, and in the six years or so since then he'd not only married his own aunt, he'd had no less than five sons with her, all of whom have the Inbred trait but are strangely healthy and hard to kill. Welcome to the Kingdom of Eiretucky, folks, it's gonna be a rough couple of generations :smithicide:

Double down on it and go full Backwoods Mississippi.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

That "Military Genius vassal gives your idiot commanders a useful skill" event is a godsend when it's siege leader or organizer.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 2, 2018

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Let my people wear hat

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how will they hide their horns now?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okay this has to be a bug - in my current game as the Byzantine Emperor I've had my own vassals usurping kingdom titles from me (not through war, just the usual "pay X gold, get the title" way). Surely even though they control the territory they shouldn't be able to usurp a title from their liege lord?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What did they do with the Rabbi? :ohdear:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skellybones posted:

What did they do with the Rabbi? :ohdear:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Okay this has to be a bug - in my current game as the Byzantine Emperor I've had my own vassals usurping kingdom titles from me (not through war, just the usual "pay X gold, get the title" way). Surely even though they control the territory they shouldn't be able to usurp a title from their liege lord?

Sounds like a bug, but it's really little different from a duke being able to declare de jure war on a count who is the direct vassal of the duke's liege, and steal the count's vassalage from the king by beating the count in a war.

That's WAD for whatever reason but it's retarded. You want to steal a vassal from the king by force, you should have to attack the king.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sounds like a bug, but it's really little different from a duke being able to declare de jure war on a count who is the direct vassal of the duke's liege, and steal the count's vassalage from the king by beating the count in a war.

That's WAD for whatever reason but it's retarded. You want to steal a vassal from the king by force, you should have to attack the king.

The guy is your vassal by law. That's what de jure means. He owes you fealty and if the king interferes, it's an act of tyranny. This seems weird, but the medieval feudalism was weird and full of bizarre cases, like the king of England being the equal of the king of France, but also his vassal as the Duke of Normandy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

The guy is your vassal by law. That's what de jure means. He owes you fealty and if the king interferes, it's an act of tyranny. This seems weird, but the medieval feudalism was weird and full of bizarre cases, like the king of England being the equal of the king of France, but also his vassal as the Duke of Normandy.

True, but the part that I doubt is true to feudalism is that Count Bumfuck has for decades been paying his taxes directly to King Inbred, and then Duke Jackass attacks Count Bumfuck and forces him to pay taxes to Duke Jackass instead and King Inbred stands idly by and shrugs.

If you're a king/emperor holding the vassalage of a count that's in someone else's de jure duchy, there's an event you'll see frequently where the duke petitions you to give him the count's vassalage. You can refuse, though it obviously pisses him off (unless you have godly diplomacy). But then he can attack that count and take his vassalage from you anyway and you can't do anything about it. Obviously you should give him that county anyway, both to keep the Pretty Borders Faction happy and because why eat a -25 with one of your dukes unnecessarily. But the way those mechanics work still make no sense IMO. If you're a vassal duke you can attack a count and take his vassalage in the same way, but you don't even get a malus with the king for doing so--I'm pretty sure the king would be irritated by that!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 26, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

True, but the part that I doubt is true to feudalism is that Count Bumfuck has for decades been paying his taxes directly to King Inbred, and then Duke Jackass attacks Count Bumfuck and forces him to pay taxes to Duke Jackass instead and King Inbred stands idly by and shrugs.

That's pretty much what he's supposed to do, though. You're reestablishing control over your rogue vassal. The fact that he Pais his taxes directly to the king is a complicating factor, but also a troubling one: your ruler pretty much stole from you. Him trying to forcefully prevent you from taking what is yours is a big no-no, as other vassals would be rightfully afraid about their possessions. The best thing both you and him can do is to pretend nothing really happened and never speak about this again, because no one really benefits from escalating this situation.

Granted, the closer we are to the end of feudalism, the more hosed you would be trying to enforce your rights. But the game already represents that by the Realm Peace and revocation - related laws.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Gantolandon posted:

That's pretty much what he's supposed to do, though. You're reestablishing control over your rogue vassal. The fact that he Pais his taxes directly to the king is a complicating factor, but also a troubling one: your ruler pretty much stole from you. Him trying to forcefully prevent you from taking what is yours is a big no-no, as other vassals would be rightfully afraid about their possessions. The best thing both you and him can do is to pretend nothing really happened and never speak about this again, because no one really benefits from escalating this situation.

Granted, the closer we are to the end of feudalism, the more hosed you would be trying to enforce your rights. But the game already represents that by the Realm Peace and revocation - related laws.

It would make sense to give the king a -5 opinion penalty

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I had some interesting issues last night:

1) Pope decided to call a Crusade on Hungary. Now in the Pope's defense the King was a Heretic (Fraticelli) but I didn't think Crusades could be called against other Christians (even if Heretic)? Also did not seem to be a normal Crusade in that there was no weighting for who participated the most to get the titles. It was to install a specific claimant to the throne.

2) Even though I had a Non-aggression pact with Hungary I was still able to join the Crusade without any negative impact.

3) This happened...

I think just the pop-up text is wrong because after I clicked the button he correctly owed me a favor.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 26, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Zero One posted:

I had some interesting issues last night:

1) Pope decided to call a Crusade on Hungary. Now in the Pope's defense the King was a Heretic (Fraticelli) but I didn't think Crusades could be called against other Christians (even if Heretic)? Also did not seem to be a normal Crusade in that there was no weighting for who participated the most to get the titles. It was to install a specific claimant to the throne.

2) Even though I had a Non-aggression pact with Hungary I was still able to join the Crusade without any negative impact.

Dunno about 2, but 1 is actually how Crusades work. If there exists someone with a king-level title to the lands that are the goal of the Crusade, he is the one who gets them.

Also, historically there was a crusade against Cathars.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah crusades against heretics are fair game - you can holy war them as well. They aren't considered co-religionist the way that Catholics/Orthodox and such are.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ok. Guess the wiki was wrong.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Also as a heretic you can Holy War the Catholic Church.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151193144

That's from my favourite game ever. I accidentally got the worst possible Heir, but got to Holy War everyone and form the Empire of Hispania. Then he died at 80 years old right as the Catholics were going to Crusade against me. And his son was Catholic so I was in the clear.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yessss 3k trade income

that's +250 a month lol

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
So I got back into the game after some DLC sales and I just started playing as Wessex 867 start. These prepared invasions are brutal as hell. I only managed to survive the first one because half the British Isles decided to join me on their own but I can't win this second one no matter how hard I save scum. I can get about 3k troops by 882 and hire another 3.5k and these guys show up 10k of which 4k is from an event according to the character sheet.

How the hell am I supposed to survive.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Been playing a lot of after the end and it's actually really good once you get past the mess of early game religions. After a bunch of bad starts I settled on Montreal where I play as one of the dukes vassal counts who is in his early twenties and murdered the Duke for his territory. I won the mountains from the occultists in a holy war when my neighbor attacked them for some other territory which was really good because it's already ursine and generated some free holdings.

My duke is still trucking along and has a child with almost every prioress in the faith, 19 kids and just three sons, all but three girls are bastards. It's a mixed start because you have a really strong position but hampered in expansion since you don't have the subjugation cb, so I've been fostering alliances and marrying my daughters matrilinially for claims I intend to capitalise on when my 22 intrigue heir inherits. Gonna create a Kingdom and go for uniting the canadian churches and I think this is the first CK2 game I'll take all the way.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
After the End is very much a breath of fresh air for the game. Having sunk hundreds of hours into the game and having seen a fair share of mods, I'm impressed with both the originality and scope of the After the End.

So much so that I hammered out a short little AAR based on my experiences as a tribal Chief in Arizona. High Chief Jojo Kino worshiped the atom, warred with militant Mormons from the Rocky Mountains and eventually died of radiation sickness.

It was a wild loving ride.

Check it out and let me know what yall think!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That was pretty good, cheers.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I forget who the exactly the developers are that work on the game here, but I just found something kind of disturbing that warrants looking. In my current game I'm the 14 year old Queen of Bavaria, and I just gained the lustful from having my Uncle molest me in the middle of the night. I didn't screencap the exact event chain as I didn't know that's where things were headed, but the first event was somebody was in my room breathing on me and I could choose who it was, and all of the choices were my Uncles. Then I was given a choice if it excited me which would give lustful. or repulsed me which would give chaste.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
:stare:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Simplex posted:

I forget who the exactly the developers are that work on the game here, but I just found something kind of disturbing that warrants looking. In my current game I'm the 14 year old Queen of Bavaria, and I just gained the lustful from having my Uncle molest me in the middle of the night. I didn't screencap the exact event chain as I didn't know that's where things were headed, but the first event was somebody was in my room breathing on me and I could choose who it was, and all of the choices were my Uncles. Then I was given a choice if it excited me which would give lustful. or repulsed me which would give chaste.

did you accidently install VIET events

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Nope no mods. I have all of the DLC minus Sunset Invasion. My guess is that it's an event chain that should only happen to adults but the trigger is messed up.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Simplex posted:

Nope no mods. I have all of the DLC minus Sunset Invasion. My guess is that it's an event chain that should only happen to adults but the trigger is messed up.
Actually, I think it's the event that can determine whether a character becomes homosexual or not, which happens at around age 14. Lemme see if I can find it.

edit: They all appear to be dreams, though. Don't see anything about somebody breathing on the character.

Was it this?

quote:

I wake up in the middle of the night, my heart racing and my whole body is feeling strange. What was I really dreaming about?

-That farmer [Root.GetBoyGirl] I met earlier.
-[lustful_target.GetFirstName], kissing me. (Notably, it appears that the lustful_target CAN be a close relative of the character, such as an uncle. Or a brother or father, which would be a bit worse)
-I should just try to get to sleep.

If the middle one is picked,

quote:

[lustful_target.GetHerHisCap] lips touching mine. My hands, touching [lustful_target.GetHerHim] gently. I wonder if [lustful_target.GetFirstName] feels the same way about me?

-I will save myself for [lustful_target.GetHerHim] (gain chaste)
-[lustful_target.GetSheHeCap] gets me all excited. (gain lustful)

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 28, 2016

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

That looks about right except the first choice also appeared to be a relative which initially made me think it was an assassination plot of some kind

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Simplex posted:

That looks about right except the first choice also appeared to be a relative which initially made me think it was an assassination plot of some kind
The first choice doesn't connect to an actual character the game models; it just says farmer boy or farmer girl, matching the receiving character's own gender.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsMcdEswK8k

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

For muslims, it does unlock AgCog at Notable and AbsCog at Full, so you can switch to those. And the UI for matrilineal marriages is unlocked if you switch to AgCog or AbsCog, however, you can't click send. So you can end up with a female ruler, just can't mat-marry.
Long way back, but so it turns out you can mat-marry as a Muslim, but only within your court, because both sides of the contract must be able to send a mat-marry contract.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MikeC posted:

So I got back into the game after some DLC sales and I just started playing as Wessex 867 start. These prepared invasions are brutal as hell. I only managed to survive the first one because half the British Isles decided to join me on their own but I can't win this second one no matter how hard I save scum. I can get about 3k troops by 882 and hire another 3.5k and these guys show up 10k of which 4k is from an event according to the character sheet.

How the hell am I supposed to survive.

Does losing give you a game over? If not, just let the loss happen, and spend some time as a vassal while saving up money and cultivating alliances for your chance to strike. The downside to event troops is that they're unreplenishable and sometimes temporary - once you lose them, they're gone forever, and that means you can't count on having them later when the guys you just conquered rebel against you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

lurksion posted:

Long way back, but so it turns out you can mat-marry as a Muslim, but only within your court, because both sides of the contract must be able to send a mat-marry contract.

Yeah I noticed this difference in the tooltip recently - it might have been updated with the last patch. One thing to be aware of is that you aren't strictly limited to your own court - with favours you can also marry outside of your religion, which opens up your matrilineal marriage options a lot more. They won't show up in the list generated by the ring button, though, as that list only includes people who will accept by default.

As a general rule it's still probably better to stick to agnatic succession as a Muslim or Merchant Republic (I'm not sure if MRs can change gender succession laws anyway, even with women's rights laws), just to lessen the pain-in-the-rear end factor. It's still useful to be able to use women as commanders or on your council, though.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Well, in case anyone's interested, I have just finished a 159,470 point campaign from 769 to 1453, starting off as the Duke/Petty King of Wessex and ending as the Emperor of Britannia (plus having the Kingdom of Andalusia under me as a vassal/viceroyalty, after one of my imprisoned vassals won it in a crusade. I'll take that, thank you!). Here's a link to a screenshot I took a couple of years prior to the end of the game, if anyone prefers to see the nation names in Europe, rather than just their colours like in the above image.

I was playing quite conservatively to avoid taking over half of Europe and burning out before TYOOL 1000 as has happened in the past, which is why I haven't really done much map-painting, instead opting to focus on internal politics this game. A few things of note was that the first crusade was called around the year 900 or so (as I recall?) for Germany, after the king (no one else) of the region decided to try out being a Lollard for around a week, before the Pope came knocking on his door. (That was a very long and bloody crusade that cost many non-heretical Christians their lives, on both sides. The Germans lost in the end) and Italy temporarily re-lived their Roman glory days and took most of France, eastern Iberia and central Europe, before falling towards the end, to the rapidly-uniting French. (Who had been fragmented into many tiny nations for centuries, after basically all important Karlings somehow died in the early years, including Charlemagne before he did anything)
Also, the Moors wound up taking over all of Iberia and Aquitaine for the first half of the game, until around the 6th (!) crusade were called against them, where some random noble with a claim was granted Aquitaine and managed to hold onto it. (After this my vassal got the huge chunk of Iberia for me, in the following crusade. France then later took most of the rest, after waging their own holy war. No idea how Ruthenia got their bit of Portugal.)
And lastly -for now- the Teutons (who were primarily led by my own family members throughout the Order's history, for whatever reason) actually got quite a surprising amount of counties scattered throughout Europe, including at one point most of Switzerland, before the French took it off them. That and the kingdom of Jerusalem was created and lost around 3-4 times due to various Crusades (there must've been around 20-30 of the drat things in my game. Practically always one going on!) and Jihads, up until one lucky noble took it, who befriended the ginormous Byzantine Empire and Italy (pre-fall), who managed to carry them to 1453.

• Locked thread