Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

Just a 4x5 right now. I have some Fuji PA145 backs and not quite 50 packs of film for it, so the plan is to use it as training wheels before I go up a size again (note the absence of "if" in there - I know myself too well).

Got your lenses already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

alkanphel posted:

Got your lenses already?

For this one, Xenar 4.5/210. The shutter is an old (but freshly CLA'd) Compound #3 that only goes to 1/100, but I have an ND filter for it and I figure "fast shutter speeds" are not the highest priority when I already have a tripod and stuff to drag around.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

For this one, Xenar 4.5/210. The shutter is an old (but freshly CLA'd) Compound #3 that only goes to 1/100, but I have an ND filter for it and I figure "fast shutter speeds" are not the highest priority when I already have a tripod and stuff to drag around.

Sounds like a nice lens for landscapes and portraits! You might want to consider pairing it with a 90/120/135 wide lens if you're shooting stuff closer to you.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Yond Cassius posted:

Keep my wallet and sanity in your prayers tonight, Dorkroom, for I have just placed an order with Hugo. :homebrew:

:goku:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

alkanphel posted:

Sounds like a nice lens for landscapes and portraits! You might want to consider pairing it with a 90/120/135 wide lens if you're shooting stuff closer to you.

That was the general plan, at least for now! If I did my math correctly, 210mm is only a little bit long, about 70mm on the Fujiroid and about 63mm on full 4x5, so it should work well with most of my general shooting style. I know different cameras tend to encourage different tempos, though, and simple "35mm equivalent" scaling gets naive as you get big, so something wider is definitely on the drawing board if I start to feel this one getting in my way.

My really big, long-range plan is to use this as a transitional system to 8x10. Back when Kodak killed Ektachrome for good, I bought 50 frames of 8x10 E100G, because I knew one of two things would happen:
1 - I would get to large-format eventually, and it would be a crying shame not to have any E100G around for it.
2 - I would decide not to go large-format, and I could sell it for more than I paid.

A little while back I took a workshop with a photographer who let me try out his rail camera, and now it's time to start working on Option 1. Since then I've picked up a stray box with a couple frames in it, enough to be an "Oops!" buffer, but I'm thinking of it as 50. There's something intellectually appealing about the idea of having only 50 frames, ever, and having to curate around that number, from beginning to end. If I'm any good at this, maybe I can turn the project into a little book or something.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

My really big, long-range plan is to use this as a transitional system to 8x10.

IMHO you should have just gone straight into 8x10 :getin:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

alkanphel posted:

IMHO you should have just gone straight into 8x10 :getin:

You're not the only one. Heck, when I realized I was coming up on "down payment for a home" savings, one small part of me said "Property ownership is overrated. Get into ULF."

I did consider this, but I've got all this Fujiroid film, and I want to make good use of it. I'm annoyed by the wastage involved in shooting it on my Mamiya (70mm square). This seems like a fun intermediate step and a good way to learn. I'll make my mistakes where they're relatively cheap, and when I move on some lucky Dorkroomer will get a good price on it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

I did consider this, but I've got all this Fujiroid film, and I want to make good use of it. I'm annoyed by the wastage involved in shooting it on my Mamiya (70mm square). This seems like a fun intermediate step and a good way to learn. I'll make my mistakes where they're relatively cheap, and when I move on some lucky Dorkroomer will get a good price on it.

Hmmm I dunno if it would have been cheaper to get an 8x10 camera and then just get a 4x5 reducing back so that you can use your PA145.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Funnily enough, I broke down and emailed Hugo last week myself, since I'm getting ever closer to pulling the trigger on an 8x10 as well. (The tipping points were getting into darkroom printing where the 8x10 negative would be fantastic for contact prints, having access to an 8x10 enlarger definitely helps, and I also finally found a nice 250/6.7 for a good price).

Not buying yet, just checking the waters re: waiting lists, but it's something I'm working towards. I've been buying lenses for a while now with an eye on 8x10 coverage.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

alkanphel posted:

Hmmm I dunno if it would have been cheaper to get an 8x10 camera and then just get a 4x5 reducing back so that you can use your PA145.

I priced it out and it would be a bit cheaper in the long haul, but the 4x5 dovetails into my existing infrastructure (tripods, bags, and stuff) better, so it gives me some room to space out the big spends and clear out my fridge a bit. Besides, I thought I might feel a little silly using all that glass and camera to shoot a negative 17% the size of the film it was designed to use.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
IME making a photo on 8x10 is 100 times nicer/easier thn 4x5. It's the transporting it that sucks. Can't comment on darkrooming bigger prints but i much prefer the bigger cameras for ease of use

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I wish I could drop the change on a chamonix 8x10, I'm in the market for a field camera but I'm looking more in the budget Calumet C1 or something bracket. Having a 36 inch monorail is dope for indoor portraits but gently caress carrying it around,

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

I wish I could drop the change on a chamonix 8x10, I'm in the market for a field camera but I'm looking more in the budget Calumet C1 or something bracket. Having a 36 inch monorail is dope for indoor portraits but gently caress carrying it around,

I can still get hold of FKD 13x18 field cameras for about $300 if you are interested.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Helen Highwater posted:

I can still get hold of FKD 13x18 field cameras for about $300 if you are interested.

No thanks, too much work needed to get those things compatible with 8x10 holders.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'll be selling ny 8x10 tachihara triple extension + lens in a month or two when it gets back from
Singapire for pretty cheap if you're looking for a cheapish 8x19

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

what the gently caress posted:

I'll be selling ny 8x10 tachihara triple extension + lens in a month or two when it gets back from
Singapire for pretty cheap if you're looking for a cheapish 8x19

How cheapish? I'm all set on lenses right now between a 215mm convertible and a 12 inch commercial ektar.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I have finally reached the ultimate expression of my art.

My ultimate art by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HNasty posted:

Flickr auto tagged this to food.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

e: nvm

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

HNasty posted:

Seeing stuff like this really makes me wish I had the capacity and $ to shoot colour film still. I like your trash art.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
11x11 inch

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Geralt of Rivia shure is looking good!

_DSC2452 by Maciej, on Flickr

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Welp, that Linhof for sale I posted earlier was already gone by the time I got in contact with seller.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yo where's the new BST thread? Can't find it. Got a 420mm f8 fujinon-L to sell if anyone is interested.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

Yo where's the new BST thread? Can't find it. Got a 420mm f8 fujinon-L to sell if anyone is interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a stupid question.

I want to take a portrait of my friend in his living room. Distance to subject will be ~9ft. I'm trying to figure out what kind of field of view I would get with the Pentax 45mm (roughly 22mm equivalent?). I've been looking up field of view calculators but for some reason cant figure it out.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Awkward Davies posted:

I want to take a portrait of my friend in his living room. Distance to subject will be ~9ft. I'm trying to figure out what kind of field of view I would get with the Pentax 45mm (roughly 22mm equivalent?). I've been looking up field of view calculators but for some reason cant figure it out.

Pentax 67, right?

This handy lens calculator says you've got a 75-degree angle of view horizontally and a 63-degree one vertically. You're basically projecting a set of Isosceles triangles in front of you, with heights of nine feet. We do a little simple trigonometry and you should have a frame just shy of eleven feet wide and nine and a half feet tall. We check our aspect ratio and get 1.16, which is about right for 7/6, so that's probably close enough for planning purposes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Awkward Davies posted:

6x7 FOV is real simple - divide by two.

Don't take a picture of a person with a 22mm equivalent. 9ft will probably be OK but the guy will probably be tiny in the center of the frame.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

Pentax 67, right?

This handy lens calculator says you've got a 75-degree angle of view horizontally and a 63-degree one vertically. You're basically projecting a set of Isosceles triangles in front of you, with heights of nine feet. We do a little simple trigonometry and you should have a frame just shy of eleven feet wide and nine and a half feet tall. We check our aspect ratio and get 1.16, which is about right for 7/6, so that's probably close enough for planning purposes.

This is super helpful, thank you.

Paul MaudDib posted:

6x7 FOV is real simple - divide by two.

Don't take a picture of a person with a 22mm equivalent. 9ft will probably be OK but the guy will probably be tiny in the center of the frame.

I'm okay with that. I've got a couple other lenses, but I want one of him in the space.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Alternatively use a viewfinder app on your phone. I have a super basic one that I use for deciding what LF lens to use. Some of the ones designed for cinema can get super expensive though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I uh... accidentally bought an RB67 with a 90 mm f/3.8. It's sort of bulky.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

nielsm posted:

I uh... accidentally bought an RB67 with a 90 mm f/3.8. It's sort of bulky.

It is large and in charge!

I had to work over the weekend, but my 45F1 arrived and I was able to take it up to the roof deck for a few frames of practice, plus I was able to pencil in the extra frame sizes on the ground glass.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Looks like the New55 guys are going to get into colour soon, launching a new kickstarter at some point:

https://www.facebook.com/New55-190955884271025/?fref=nf

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Is 90mm on 4x5 too wide to get good use out of a polarizer?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

Is 90mm on 4x5 too wide to get good use out of a polarizer?

Definitely not.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

Rarely shoot black and white, but have most of a box of Tri-X Pan for my 4x5. I definitely prefer spotting medium format.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Took my Kiev 88 to a concert.

po1 (8).jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

po1 (12).jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

img358.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Kakhaber Tsiskaridze by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And then burned the last few from a roll on random street shots.

img310.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

What's his number? I'm looking for a new babysitter

• Locked thread