Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Eonwe is this the thing you always go on about and are going to see in concert?

Don't dig too much into it. In that way lies adtrwmadness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

1000 new posts since I last checked this thread 12 hours ago?!?!?

My body is ready.

Derek-sama take me awayyyy

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Miku is just Eonwe's own personal little disgusting failing, but we love him still.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
wait what's this about a board game kickstarter and what does it have to do with CIG?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Toops posted:

Guys, thread went bonkers this week and I'm like 40 pages behind. Anyone got the Cliff's notes? I'm just past Jessica Bielgate..

Yo Toops---

Some of the below is old news but I figured I'd just throw out the significant developments of the last week or so (as I remember them) in case anyone is reading this from further back.

1) The majority of recent comments have been reactions during the David Ladyman "Star Traders" livestream. Some funny twitch trolling and Reddit outrage took place (real and imagined) over IP theft on Ryan Archer's part.

2) The thread about it on /boardgames was especially active and probably damaging.

3) The project did squeak over the finish line in the final minutes. Now that it's funded, some are making efforts to get Kickstarter to investigate it due to Ryan Archer's brazen appropriation of 3rd Party IP.

4) Erin's visit to CIG LA has been the subject of much continued speculation, with Derek reliably teasing that he "knows the REAL reason and you are not going to BELIEVE what is happening behind the scenes at this very moment. It's big. They're hosed. It's over. Two weeks!"

3b) Last week's Erin interview on Around the Verse was (I thought) uncharacteristically interesting, though that may just be because his arrival (during Chris' absence) suggests that something rather big is afoot. This is old news if you're only 40 pages behind-- but to those further back may be significant.

4) Pgabz's latest video on 2.3 was a grand slam home run. So effective was it in demonstrating how catastrophically craptastic the game remains that commenters are now accusing him of corrupting game files to create the false impression it is shite.

5) Another sperg dirtbag spewed idiot graffiti on a stage 4 cancer sufferers YouTube page.

6) Sandi apparently has yet another film coming out. It's called "American Satan". It's stars Charlie Sheen's babymama, Samwell Tarly, Mac from Predator, and Sandi as a mom. (It might actually not be terrible-- as it has a real writer.) It is still being filmed but surely Sandi is only filming on Saturdays and Sunday's due to her strong sense of moral obligation not to shortchange Cloud Imperium Games.

7) :tinfoil: Sandi may have a new Alt Account on RSI forums that she is using to talk up the game's greatness. This is highly speculative and requires a lot of additional investigation before it can graduate from :tinfoil: to canon. If there wasn't prior precedent for her doing this at RSI forums, I'd not even mention it.

This isn't really comprehensive but covers at least some of the latest developments worth mention.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 28, 2016

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
lol pvt ryan at facepunch just got the banhammer. Hahahahaa

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

G0RF posted:

4) Pgabz's lastest video on 2.3 was a grand slam home run. So effective was it in demonstrating how catastrophically craptastic the game remains that commenters are now accusing him of corrupting game files to create the false impression it is shite.

6) Sandi apparently has yet another film coming out. It's called "American Satan". It's stars Charlie Sheen's babymama, Samwell Tarly, Mac from Predator, and Sandi as a mom. (It might actually not be terrible-- as it has a real writer.) It is still being filmed but surely Sandi is only filming on Saturdays and Sunday's due to her strong sense of moral obligation not to shortchange Cloud Imperium Games.

4) link dat poo poo foo

6) i wonder what the going rate is for an agent because i guaranfuckingtee she is paying that agent with space game funded money

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Agrajag posted:

4) link dat poo poo foo

6) i wonder what the going rate is for an agent because i guaranfuckingtee she is paying that agent with space game funded money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWeTw2DXfUE

Speaking of which, I noticed that there was a comment to the effect that “why aren't there any bugs in other people's videos?”, and I must say, there's a dearth of 2.3 videos to scour for glitches…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 28, 2016

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Goobs posted:

lol pvt ryan at facepunch just got the banhammer. Hahahahaa

Phyrric victory, I got the whale banned. I haven't got to engage in some serious internet debate poo poo in a while, that was kind of exciting. I'm glad I got banned because I have engineering HW to be doing.

Notice how when one approaches SC with a skeptical but reasonable/rational platform with fair criticism whales get increasingly and increasingly more frustrated and angry, it's sublime.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 28, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Solomonic posted:

Anime was a mistake

there really is such a thing as 'degenerate art' it turns out

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

nopantsjack posted:

its the sound of an airhorn and the sound gary oldman makes

It's the sound Gary oldman makes while orgasming.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

hakimashou posted:

there really is such a thing as 'degenerate art' it turns out

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Justin Tyme posted:

Phyrric victory, I got the whale banned. I haven't got to engage in some serious internet debate poo poo in a while, that was kind of exciting. I'm glad I got banned because I have engineering HW to be doing.

Notice how when one approaches SC with a skeptical but reasonable/rational platform with fair criticism whales get increasingly and increasingly more frustrated and angry, it's sublime.

I tried to craft the perfect name. I came up with AuschwitzDood.

I was just banned. Apparently I'm an Alt/Gimmick.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Unexpected posted:

Hi. I'm sorry if it's been answered but why do we care? Or rather, why are we talking about it in SC thread? I didn't think this game and Croberts/Sandi were related in any way (other than the stolen drawing of outfits with their plastered heads)?
What I find most salient is the possibility that CIG's promotion of Star Traders is a kind of severance arrangement between Chris and Ladyman. This is only a suspicion-- but one I've harbored after it was clear CIG was throwing a lot of promotional time and resources at plugging this game to the community.

How strange that they would be so generous with Ladyman while completely ignoring Sandi's "The Doll"' indiegogo web series project? (Oh wait, they're pretending she's not pursuing her acting career non-stop while on the CIG payroll... Nevermind...)

Maybe Ladyman always was a contractor - never an employee - and Archer was the same. That hasn't been my impression but who knows. But to me, this might be more signs of a stealthy winnowing of the Austin office. They can't shut it completely-- not without relocating the core PTU gang. Tony Z has to have an office, right? It's not like HE's leaving, too...Riiiiiiiiiight?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tortolia posted:

I want to know more about this incident.
I'm on a phone so it harder to dig up at the moment but if AP doesn't post it in, I will dig through my own post history and find my reaction when AP pasted it in thread. I knew of the Wingman / Sandi tussle but didn't realize it reached a 'shots fired' level in the RSI forums.

I wonder if Chris has the presence of mind at this point to realize the LA relocation, Wingman purge / Sandi Ascension was one of CIG's Top 10 Costliest Screw-Ups yet?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Unless they're going to find someone new to handle the jump points I doubt they're going to stop contracting with ladyman. That's kind of his gig.

I would be completely shocked if Tony Z was on his way out the door. There's no way to anticipate something like that. You would have to have a man real deep on the inside to predict that kind of move. CIG losing a high level producer who's in charge of figuring out what the gently caress the PU is supposed to be from his isolated office with dwindling resources? It's as unprecedented as it is unthinkable.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

I wonder if Chris has the presence of mind at this point to realize the LA relocation, Wingman purge / Sandi Ascension was one of CIG's Top 10 Costliest Screw-Ups yet?

Hey! I can answer that!... HE DOESN'T

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dusty Lens posted:

Unless they're going to find someone new to handle the jump points I doubt they're going to stop contracting with ladyman. That's kind of his gig.

I would be completely shocked if Tony Z was on his way out the door. There's no way to anticipate something like that. You would have to have a man real deep on the inside to predict that kind of move. CIG losing a high level producer who's in charge of figuring out what the gently caress the PU is supposed to be from his isolated office with dwindling resources? It's as unprecedented as it is unthinkable.

Yeah. Aren't we awaiting 3-4 departures any day now?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Colostomy Bag posted:

two weeks

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Colostomy Bag posted:

The next big event has already been confirmed. We're just waiting to find out what it actually is to say that we knew that it was the next big event. More events to follow.

But more seriously. Man who knows. According to rumor CIG ran out of money last Christmas, everyone at the company had quit, the entire thing is being run by the Swedish mafia (or was it Swiss?) and the Playstation announcement is imminent.

The reality of things appears to be far softer. The project is plodding along in no discernible direction but outward signs of panic appear to be fairly minimal and at present there's no reason to expect that there wont be a slow disintegration of staff and goals relating to Star Citizen while CIG continues to push S42 out of the womb to what will doubtless be mixed reviews and the hope of enough energy to keep the train going to a few sequels.

So, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we find out that a bunch of people assigned to SC end up walking out the door or being chucked out of a window in the near future. But the signs of a company that's about to violently explode into bankruptcy and doom aren't really there.

But maybe I'm wrong and CIG's about 4 days away from closing the doors.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Derek has done all but confirmed Toni Z and Sean Tracey to be amongst the leavers at this point. It also seems like with Toni gone the ambition for the project is going to slide mightily, and all that will be left is to inform the backers what it means to be a NuCitizen (hint: its poo poo).

Should be really fun.

^^^^^ Ambien Post

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 28, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/324286/latest-patch-really-has-me-worried

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

As long as they're cashing a paycheck and their workload is pretty sunny I imagine they're sitting pretty in Austin. The task of trying to wrangle a PU out of whatever SC is right now might actually be interesting work so long as they don't have to deal too much with any of CIG's crazy personalities from their little island of isolation.

Lord knows if they were going to walk for reasons associated with the project being poo poo and doomed that door has been open for a day or two.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

So...it's just like every other patch before it and people are just NOW realizing it's a big turd? Seen.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
5000 posts

what the heck has been happening

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Milky Moor posted:

5000 posts

look at gorf's summary on tihs page friend

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Milky Moor posted:

5000 posts

dreams

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Milky Moor posted:

5000 posts

It turned out that the Cardboard Sandi cutout CIG used to promote an ex-employee kickstarter was badly shopped stolen art, just like every single piece of art used in that KS. There was a live stream featuring the designer, the artist, and a maniac, and lots of funny questions in the chat.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

A Neurotic Jew posted:

look at gorf's summary on tihs page friend

thank you friend

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Agrajag posted:

4) link dat poo poo foo

Tippis did it but I've obliged too and added a couple of additional links in the interest of aiding the bewildered.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Milky Moor posted:

5000 posts

The funny is it was kind of a slow week in Star Citizenland... One where comparatively trivial matters dominated even as all parties agreed that the eerie ticking sound in the distance was getting louder and louder.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

El Spamo posted:

That board game. It is not complete. There's a handful of mentions about stealing stations, but nothing about how that's done.

Also, rules about dropping out with no indication of how or why someone would drop out. Possibly because they realize they're playing a poo poo game and leave.

I guess I don't understand board game design

well you get some cig guys see robbers make some easy money, figure why not go off on our own and do it too. Be surprised if this doesn't run into delays and empty promises.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Someone had better be contacting people about that kickstarter because holy poo poo Ryan Archer cannot get away with that.

Also, it would make complete sense for the major leaver to be Tony. With all the effort focusing on SQ42, what's there for Tony to do? He's basically twiddling his thumbs because he's being greatly handicapped on manpower for the PU. Man's gotta be getting bored and fed up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

The next big event has already been confirmed. We're just waiting to find out what it actually is to say that we knew that it was the next big event. More events to follow.

But more seriously. Man who knows. According to rumor CIG ran out of money last Christmas, everyone at the company had quit, the entire thing is being run by the Swedish mafia (or was it Swiss?) and the Playstation announcement is imminent.

The reality of things appears to be far softer. The project is plodding along in no discernible direction but outward signs of panic appear to be fairly minimal and at present there's no reason to expect that there wont be a slow disintegration of staff and goals relating to Star Citizen while CIG continues to push S42 out of the womb to what will doubtless be mixed reviews and the hope of enough energy to keep the train going to a few sequels.

So, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we find out that a bunch of people assigned to SC end up walking out the door or being chucked out of a window in the near future. But the signs of a company that's about to violently explode into bankruptcy and doom aren't really there.

But maybe I'm wrong and CIG's about 4 days away from closing the doors.

I'm sort of in the middle of "flush with cash" vs. "bankruptcy in 30 days" line of thinking.

They are definitely eating into their cash reserves with a furor lately. The 400 employees to me was somewhat of an eye opener because from what I followed it was "only" around 300. That's quite an increase. We can laugh about $20,000 coffee machines and $7K sofas...those are drops in the bucket when you factor probably 80% of their expenses are salaries and associated benefits. For those non-US folk, group insurance premiums alone are a loving killer. Basic premise of factoring what an employee makes is to take their base salary and add around 28% to the figure for all the overhead.

We can do back of a napkin calculations all day long, but their operational expenses is far from cheap. The biggest thing is 3 out of 4 studios have quite a high cost of living. We are looking at 36-50 million a year in operational expenses.

Granted, there is a constant revenue stream. But we have seen that slowed lately. Given their push to do concept sales every 6 weeks and all hands on deck to push out the turd known as SQ42 I view it as when the Titanic set sight on the iceberg. They are trying to spin the wheel hard but ultimately they know it won't end well. They are basically doing the "all in" at a poker table hoping it pays off and no one calls the bluff.

I could be way off base. Who knows. They can basically lurch forward for quite sometime, but at the current burn rate and income...days are numbered. Twenty-five million or fifty million seems like a lot. It ain't though when you are losing a couple million a month.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

With respect to the 400 employees thing I've long suspected that they add up the numbers of all the employees working for whomever they're contracting with.

Turbulent is contracted to change the color of a button in the store from fuscia to aquamarine? Better tack 70 employees onto the roster of bodies working on Star Citizen.

The number of folks who wake up in the morning and head out to sit in a chair at a no poo poo CIG office to push buttons and make nerd magic happen cannot possibly be that high. Especially when one takes into account that the "plz respond to this ad" hiring notices have ranged somewhere between unchanged and expanding over the past several years. That, to me at least, suggests more of a PR front than actual hiring practices.

Rockstar saying they had 1000 people working on GTA 5 in order to get the game banged out in record time with the awesome force of labor required to execute the task of bringing their map and code to life is something that I can totally believe. CIG saying they have 400 people working on whatever the gently caress is happening over there strikes me as unbelievable.

But I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet.

Also yes. One day they're going to be cooked. Maybe it'll be the Derek Smart prediction and it'll happen last month. Maybe it'll be the 8ace prediction and it'll happen a fair bit into the future. Either way they have S42 to bank on and, unfortunately, it appears they've already sold it to most people who would be super enthused about buying it.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 28, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm glad I waited for the lyrics to kick in on this one.

Maybe he shouldn't have hosed around with his cfg file.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Hey friend, don't be so hard on yourself. We will all be still shitposting lame jokes.

"Human of much sort". Is grandpa having a stroke?

I just figured at the SC Thread 10 year reunion, that would be a thing said, as I slowly drink myself to oblivion at the host bar Uncle Derek is fronting from the proceeds of his latest AAA hit, right before the :pgabz: historical filmography.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
This is slightly ungoony but I'm glad David Ladyman got his funding and I hope he succeeds.

I had an epiphany last night whilst nursing sick livestock (miraculous recovery this morning all is good with the world, except the cleaning up) which always makes me empathetic, speculative and smelly.

All this art-gate stuff happened over a public holiday. Mr Ladyman can't begin to speak with any of the original artists or his lawyer until today because everyone's been unavailable.

Lets say he's provisionally decided to give the "artist" the boot, he can't do it without verifying that the art was pinched, he needs to make sure it's not just bullshit goon background noise before he does anything. If he goes off the deepend and its bullshit we made up he's personally in a lot more trouble than he is if one of his employee's did something dishonest. So he's waiting till he has confirmation before doing anything. This is a reasonable thing to do because anyone who takes goon-photoshops to be anything other than funny is a bit strange.

gently caress reddit, CIG and the whales though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

With respect to the 400 employees thing I've long suspected that they add up the numbers of all the employees working for whomever they're contracting with.

Turbulent is contracted to change the color of a button in the store from fuscia to aquamarine? Better tack 70 employees onto the roster of bodies working on Star Citizen.

The number of folks who wake up in the morning and head out to sit in a chair at a no poo poo CIG office to push buttons and make nerd magic happen cannot possibly be that high. Especially when one takes into account that the "plz respond to this ad" hiring notices have ranged somewhere between unchanged and expanding over the past several years. That, to me at least, suggests more of a PR front than actual hiring practices.

Rockstar saying they had 1000 people working on GTA 5 in order to get the game banged out in record time with the awesome force of labor required to execute the task of bringing their map and code to life is something that I can totally believe. CIG saying they have 400 people working on whatever the gently caress is happening over there strikes me as unbelievable.

But I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet.

Also yes. One day they're going to be cooked. Maybe it'll be the Derek Smart prediction and it'll happen last month. Maybe it'll be the 8ace prediction and it'll happen a fair bit into the future. Either way they have S42 to bank on and, unfortunately, it appears they've already sold it to most people who would be super enthused about buying it.

True. All my speculation is based on Erin saying they have 200-220 in Europe and Lesnick basically saying they can't keep track of 400 employees.

So yeah, talking out of my rear end but I toe the CIG company line when they utter these numbers because I think there is some basis of fact given they blurt them out during their poo poo shows.

It's all good man. Hell, this is the best board game ever devised in this century. We are tossing out cards with our best guesses hoping to trump each other.

In the end we can just sit back and watch this fiasco unfold. Years of entertainment await us.

o7 commando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rhubarb94 posted:

This is slightly ungoony but I'm glad David Ladyman got his funding and I hope he succeeds.

I had an epiphany last night whilst nursing sick livestock (miraculous recovery this morning all is good with the world, except the cleaning up) which always makes me empathetic, speculative and smelly.

All this art-gate stuff happened over a public holiday. Mr Ladyman can't begin to speak with any of the original artists or his lawyer until today because everyone's been unavailable.

Lets say he's provisionally decided to give the "artist" the boot, he can't do it without verifying that the art was pinched, he needs to make sure it's not just bullshit goon background noise before he does anything. If he goes off the deepend and its bullshit we made up he's personally in a lot more trouble than he is if one of his employee's did something dishonest. So he's waiting till he has confirmation before doing anything. This is a reasonable thing to do because anyone who takes goon-photoshops to be anything other than funny is a bit strange.

gently caress reddit, CIG and the whales though.

so im guessing you didn't see his scummy written responses to the clear evidence?

• Locked thread