Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

plushpuffin posted:

That's actually a really great analogy, because both conspiracy theories spread and gained traction due to arrogance, authoritarian attitudes, incompetent PR, and lack of transparency by those in charge.

I personally don't like Windows 10, but I'm not going to get into why. What bothers me more are the aggressive methods Microsoft is using, their neglectful and secretive stance regarding privacy and assuring those with reservations concerning data collection, and their heavy-handed attempts to override user preference and choice with regard to upgrading and using the new OS.

They have seriously bungled their response to user concerns and destroyed a lot of good will in the past year. It's going to take them a long time to earn back my trust.

You thought they had user concern? I mean....Microsoft has never had any user concern, not even the fake "We are building Windows 10 for youuuuu!" thing they did after ousting Homer Simpson and installing Nadella. They've been building terrible operating systems for at least 20 years, now.The cycle is always the same: Put out a terribly buggy new version and then attempt to maintain market share by fixing all of the terrible, terrible problems they've come across since releasing it to the public. The only difference with 10 was that they hosed up twice in a row with 8 and then 8.1 and they were pouring on the honey extra thick to push 10 out the door and save their asses from getting devoured by shareholders. I never interpreted that as any sort of concern, just their usual drive to keep Windows installed on things.

Then again, Windows 10 doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the patently ridiculous way they are trying to enter into 'the cloud.' Their messed up featuring online is what's going to end up killing them. Want Office for 5 people as a household? $10/month total. Want to go one step up and include one other feature, let's say...a bunch of email space? Great, the next feature bundle to include a bunch of email space is $10/month per user - but you lose local applications and have to do everything through a web browser! To get them back locally, it's $15/month per user....Because the office product they are willing to sell for $24 per person per year is totally worth jumping up to $60 per person per year just because it now comes with email space and they call it "business"! :v:

And on the business side, managing the portals to configure different products is like being sprayed in the eyes with lemon juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Arsten posted:

You thought they had user concern? I mean....Microsoft has never had any user concern, not even the fake "We are building Windows 10 for youuuuu!" thing they did after ousting Homer Simpson and installing Nadella. They've been building terrible operating systems for at least 20 years, now.The cycle is always the same: Put out a terribly buggy new version and then attempt to maintain market share by fixing all of the terrible, terrible problems they've come across since releasing it to the public. The only difference with 10 was that they hosed up twice in a row with 8 and then 8.1 and they were pouring on the honey extra thick to push 10 out the door and save their asses from getting devoured by shareholders. I never interpreted that as any sort of concern, just their usual drive to keep Windows installed on things.

I never said what you thought I said. I don't believe they were ever really doing anything for the users. They've always been a fairly lovely company making lovely products, and their business tactics have been decidedly anti-consumer from the very start. The difference is that they used to sell products to home users, either directly, or indirectly through OEM licenses, and their services were reserved for businesses.

It's only recently that they've decided to sell services to end users and treat the users themselves as products. This necessitates a level of trust in their intentions and the uses to which they put their collected data that wasn't really relevant before. It has required me to evaluate them as a company the same way I look at Google, and I've decided that I simply can't trust them, especially given their awful (basically non-existent) handling of the concerns over some of the more controversial features of Windows 10.

I'm not sure I ever really trusted them, but I put up with some things, like Windows genuine advantage, because I at least understood the motivation for it and knew that the information they gathered really only served one purpose.

Edit:

I think you meant misunderstood what I meant when I said "user concerns", in that I was saying they bungled their response and handling of users' concerns, not that they themselves were concerned with what users thought. I could have been more clear and made the word "user" both plural and possessive, sorry!

plushpuffin fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 25, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

plushpuffin posted:

I think you meant misunderstood what I meant when I said "user concerns", in that I was saying they bungled their response and handling of users' concerns, not that they themselves were concerned with what users thought. I could have been more clear and made the word "user" both plural and possessive, sorry!
That is, indeed, how I took your comment. But at the same time, if they don't care about those users they certainly aren't going to be great in resolving their concerns. :v:

plushpuffin posted:

I never said what you thought I said. I don't believe they were ever really doing anything for the users. They've always been a fairly lovely company making lovely products, and their business tactics have been decidedly anti-consumer from the very start. The difference is that they used to sell products to home users, either directly, or indirectly through OEM licenses, and their services were reserved for businesses.
I really think of that as a marketing shift and not a service provision shift. They have been doing a lot of service provision to users for years, with the difference now being that those services are a monthly cost where before they were buy once and get free forever. After all, automatically updating Windows for the business world came after Windows Update arrived for consumers. The race to the internet for the consumer side is what drove this as there needed to be a way to deploy security updates for the new IE4 for the average idiot.

plushpuffin posted:

It's only recently that they've decided to sell services to end users and treat the users themselves as products. This necessitates a level of trust in their intentions and the uses to which they put their collected data that wasn't really relevant before. It has required me to evaluate them as a company the same way I look at Google, and I've decided that I simply can't trust them, especially given their awful (basically non-existent) handling of the concerns over some of the more controversial features of Windows 10.
Who would you trust? I don't mean that to confront, I'm genuinely curious because I don't trust any of the big three because their agenda is easy: Shareholder Value. Google started out by building an advertising service that is designed to know more about you than you know about yourself. Microsoft, while a late bloomer, is all about this. And while Apple offers security theater, I haven't been convinced that it isn't part of a master plan to install A9s in everyone fillings.

plushpuffin posted:

I'm not sure I ever really trusted them, but I put up with some things, like Windows genuine advantage, because I at least understood the motivation for it and knew that the information they gathered really only served one purpose.
Most of Microsoft's previous detail collection was centered around the operating system and not the user. It was verification and not marketing. That's changed as they want in on the amount of advertising dollars that Google gets. I think Nadella sees it as the only way to keep making lots of money like they did in their Windows and Office heyday.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Have you used other competing products? You can't judge Microsoft in a vacuum.

I feel as if Windows 10 is two steps forward and one step back. It's faster, better and the Windows everyone loves. Personally, I can't stand the lack UI Consistency with Desktop vs Touch applications. For example, OneNote is well polished to be entirely used with touch but Windows Explorer isn't? Outlook has a touch mode but it's clearly incomplete.

The privacy issues are concerning and there ought to be a way to opt-out but that's now the cost of Windows 10.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Arsten posted:

Most of Microsoft's previous detail collection was centered around the operating system and not the user. It was verification and not marketing. That's changed as they want in on the amount of advertising dollars that Google gets. I think Nadella sees it as the only way to keep making lots of money like they did in their Windows and Office heyday.

Correct, Microsoft has always been sending telemetry data back home for various analysis but now they're re-selling behavioral user data. The biggest cash cows for Microsoft as of now are Office 365 / Azure and this is just extra icing on the cake.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Have you used other competing products? You can't judge Microsoft in a vacuum.

I feel as if Windows 10 is two steps forward and one step back. It's faster, better and the Windows everyone loves. Personally, I can't stand the lack UI Consistency with Desktop vs Touch applications. For example, OneNote is well polished to be entirely used with touch but Windows Explorer isn't? Outlook has a touch mode but it's clearly incomplete.

The privacy issues are concerning and there ought to be a way to opt-out but that's now the cost of Windows 10.

You can opt-out. Go to Settings -> Privacy. Just start turning off everything you don't want. As you go through the list, just start deselecting everything that lets any apps see your account data (except for any apps you might want to).

Advertising ones would be "Let apps use my advertising ID" in the General section. Also be sure to click the "Managed my Microsoft advertising and other personalization info" link to login with your Microsoft Account on the web and disable the option that says "Personalized ads wherever I use my microsoft account"

Edit:

Tab8715 posted:

Correct, Microsoft has always been sending telemetry data back home for various analysis but now they're re-selling behavioral user data. The biggest cash cows for Microsoft as of now are Office 365 / Azure and this is just extra icing on the cake.

You can send telemetry only, too. In the Settings -> Privacy -> Feedback & diagnostics, change "Ask for my feed back" to "Never" and "Diagnostic and Usage Data" to "Basic"

Arsten fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 25, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, when you first boot Windows 10 and it asks you about privacy stuff, you can literally toggle "no" for everything, hit next, then toggle "no" for everything again. There's like 9 different settings that all don't really help you at all and give assorted data to Microsoft, declining all of them covers most of the bases.

Edit: There might be an edge case where SmartScreen might actually save you from a virus, but nah, gently caress it, I just hit NOPE

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: There might be an edge case where SmartScreen might actually save you from a virus, but nah, gently caress it, I just hit NOPE

If you're setting every privacy option to opt-out, there's no reason at all to consider using Edge until it gets add-on support and a decent ad blocker anyways.

Nobody gives a poo poo about do-not-track and if you're OK with advertising agencies collecting all your data, why aren't you OK with Windows doing the same?

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Finally upgraded to 10, and I'm having some performance issues - when I leave my computer for a bit and I come back I often have to wait 30+ seconds to do basic stuff like open up File Explorer or Settings, or get a Chrome browser to open. After it gets going it seems to be ok, but what is happening here? It feels like parts of the OS are being put the sleep, which is massively annoying. Any tips?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Geemer posted:

If you're setting every privacy option to opt-out, there's no reason at all to consider using Edge until it gets add-on support and a decent ad blocker anyways.

Nobody gives a poo poo about do-not-track and if you're OK with advertising agencies collecting all your data, why aren't you OK with Windows doing the same?

I was talking about an edge case, not an Edge case.

I run uBlock Origin now which does take care of a decent amount of tracking/referral stuff. I don't get your logic though: "Lots of sites track you, so why not make it easy for Microsoft to track you even more when it's a one-time toggle to prevent it?"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Arsten posted:

You can send telemetry only, too. In the Settings -> Privacy -> Feedback & diagnostics, change "Ask for my feed back" to "Never" and "Diagnostic and Usage Data" to "Basic"

I'm strongly confident this doesn't disable everything but it's something at least.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

Chrome has lovely HiDPi support still. It's fine on 1 screen but breaks when you have 2 or more monitors running at different scalings.

Try playing around with different scaling factors using the following command line switch: --force-device-scale-factor=2

ChromeOpera has the exact same problem.

You have got to be kidding me. HiDPi has been out for nearly a year and Google hasn't got it together?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hobo posted:

Finally upgraded to 10, and I'm having some performance issues - when I leave my computer for a bit and I come back I often have to wait 30+ seconds to do basic stuff like open up File Explorer or Settings, or get a Chrome browser to open. After it gets going it seems to be ok, but what is happening here? It feels like parts of the OS are being put the sleep, which is massively annoying. Any tips?

You should give some details. Laptop or desktop? Intel or AMD CPU? Hard drive or Solid State? Ram? GPU? Are you upgraded to build 1511?

I'd be looking at: Sleep/Hibernate settings, Intel SpeedStep shenanigans, Hard drive spindown or accelerometer hard drive parking, or running low on ram, causing virtual ram swaps. Sometimes stuff like Intel Integrated Graphics will still be using old drivers and crashing/restarting which will make File Explorer seem frozen.

When all else fails, check Event Viewer. If that fails, back up your poo poo and tell Windows 10 to do a factory wipe on itself.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I'm strongly confident this doesn't disable everything but it's something at least.

According to Microsoft, setting that to "Basic" sends only telemetry. At "Enhanced" it starts including behavioral data. (Under "What do the different diagnostic and data usage options mean?" question.)

Not a guarantee, of course, but we can only hope they follow their own descriptions.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm not going to effort post this, but most of the privacy stuff around 10 is complete horseshit. If you read the EULA of any major OS / web service with the same sceptical eye as 10's you would make all the same conclusions. The only reason people think 10 is literally the stasi is because "10 ways Windows 10 steals all your data, you won't believe number 6!" gets clicks. "Web search EULA includes terms that let it send your search to a webserver" just isn't a clickbait draw enough.

That said it probably talks too much out of the box. You can however turn it all off and they make it a required action to choose either way during install. They're pretty transparent. One of the major myths around Win 10 upgrades is any of this being 'secret'. It's not. They [being lovely tech blogs] deliberately use vague terms to make it seem like a more credible threat.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Source, by the way?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The reason I see cited the most for not upgrading from 7/8 to 10 is driver issues and in my experience that is a completely fair criticism even coming from 8.

Trying to get audio or your trackpad working is no fun at all.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Zero VGS posted:

You should give some details. Laptop or desktop? Intel or AMD CPU? Hard drive or Solid State? Ram? GPU? Are you upgraded to build 1511?

I'd be looking at: Sleep/Hibernate settings, Intel SpeedStep shenanigans, Hard drive spindown or accelerometer hard drive parking, or running low on ram, causing virtual ram swaps. Sometimes stuff like Intel Integrated Graphics will still be using old drivers and crashing/restarting which will make File Explorer seem frozen.

When all else fails, check Event Viewer. If that fails, back up your poo poo and tell Windows 10 to do a factory wipe on itself.

Sorry, was wondering if it was a common known issue.

Desktop, Intel, hard drive, 8 gigs ram, GPU - about a 3.5 year old nVidia. Build 10586 as far as I can tell - literally installed this morning.

It feels like what I would expect to happen on a laptop if I had various power-saving settings, but as I'm on a desktop, it's all a bit confusing. I did find some issue from months ago to do with auto-allocation of paging not working correctly - but just a single post on reddit, so I'm not too convinced by it.

Going to see if it's still a problem tomorrow after a restart, don't really want to start digging around in Event Viewer.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The only driver issues I would expect would be the forced updates (a fair criticism), or lovely installers that see a 10 in the version instead of a 6 and panic. I have not heard of any major changes to the kernel that would break driver compatibility.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Arsten posted:

That is, indeed, how I took your comment. But at the same time, if they don't care about those users they certainly aren't going to be great in resolving their concerns. :v:

That is a good point. It's just seems so stupid to me that they can't be bothered to put forth the bare minimum effort needed to engage with users, and instead they let them stew and bounce crazy ideas off of each other and generate bad press for MS. With all this personal data being collected and stored on their servers, you would think they would understand the importance of establishing trust with their users.

Arsten posted:

I really think of that as a marketing shift and not a service provision shift. They have been doing a lot of service provision to users for years, with the difference now being that those services are a monthly cost where before they were buy once and get free forever. After all, automatically updating Windows for the business world came after Windows Update arrived for consumers. The race to the internet for the consumer side is what drove this as there needed to be a way to deploy security updates for the new IE4 for the average idiot.

Who would you trust? I don't mean that to confront, I'm genuinely curious because I don't trust any of the big three because their agenda is easy: Shareholder Value. Google started out by building an advertising service that is designed to know more about you than you know about yourself. Microsoft, while a late bloomer, is all about this. And while Apple offers security theater, I haven't been convinced that it isn't part of a master plan to install A9s in everyone fillings.

The point I was trying to make was that people have expected from the start of the desktop computing era that they would have effective control over their OS, although we made concessions over the years for activation, DRM, and security features. When I got my first smartphone, I didn't have this expectation. I went into it with both eyes open knowing that Google was a search and advertising company whose entire purpose was to monetize my data. I also know that AT&T and Verizon don't give a poo poo about my privacy. I agreed to this, and my usage of my cell phone reflects this knowledge.

They would learn fairly little about me from my phone usage anyway, since all I do on on it is read tech sites and Something Awful, and I do all my browsing with mobile Firefox and various ad/tracker-blocking extensions. I am very serious about my privacy and especially about avoiding ads. I've spent 5 years fighting junk mail at my house, and it's at the point now where I get about one ad in the mail every 6 months. I don't even get EDDM ads since my mail carrier knows I'll mark it refused and hand it back to him the next morning. He probably hates me, but I don't give a poo poo. I'm just mentioning this to establish that I'm not being hypocritical complaining about Windows 10 while using an Android phone and otherwise participating in our modern surveillance society. I am very diligent about avoiding ads of all kinds and protecting my personal information, and I am being totally consistent in calling Windows 10 out for not exactly being the soul of discretion when it comes to leaking my private information.

My understanding with Microsoft all these years (as an end user, not a business) has been that they are a product company. Whereas ad companies don't care about your privacy, I knew that Microsoft didn't care about me; they just wanted my money (directly, or indirectly via the OEM). As you said above, that has all changed. Now we are seeing Microsoft essentially building mobile features into Windows, such as advertising ID (this serves NO purpose for the end-user), built-in support for serving ads in apps, app suggestions, ads on the lock screen, cloud storage, cloud analysis of voice commands, web search as a first-party component of the UI, etc.

I didn't agree to this for my desktop OS, I'm not comfortable with it, for myself or for others, and I oppose it on principle. I don't care that it can be toggled off, because I know that the vast majority of users won't know about it or won't bother to do so. Many of these "features" provide the end user with little or no benefit, or the benefit to the end user is tangential to their true purpose, and/or they are deliberately made as difficult as possible to configure (forgoing specific windows updates such as drivers, choosing a different web search provider for the shell), keep configured to your liking (privacy settings, file associations) or disable or [permanently] uninstall (telemetry, auto-downloading and installation of updates on its schedule instead of mine, OneCloud integration, Candy Crush, the Get Office app, all those lovely Universal apps).

I know that this strategy is nothing new. They're trying to kill/hurt Google the same way they killed Netscape: by building its competition into the OS as the default. I just find it ickier because this fight involves upselling me on a bunch of things (some of which used to be provided for free), degrading the experience on other things for the purpose of integrating with mobile and tablets, using me as a beta tester for enterprise users, and monetizing my personal data, anonymized or not. This is much harder to wrap my head around and accept than a fight over two web browser products.

I agree that the privacy concerns are overblown, but at the same time, having to go into my desktop OS's settings and toggle a bunch of settings to limit sharing of data for marketing purposes feels very, very icky to me. I don't like it one bit. I understand why Microsoft is doing the things it's doing. It obviously makes no sense for them to voluntarily allow you to change the search bar to use Google, for example. Unfortunately for Microsoft, I don't give a flying gently caress about their business objectives and product integration strategies. I want my OS to behave the way I want it to behave, and I don't want to have to install third-party tools or run arcane commands to disable things I don't like and override the decisions they've made for me regarding how the OS is to be used.

The general lack of control offered by the OS, and the lack of respect Microsoft shows for me by taking that control away, makes me feel queasy. I know that average users are loving idiots who never reboot or perform maintenance, but the solution to that isn't to take away all control from all users. It should be possible, even easy, for power users to change a single setting and get back all of the configuration options and control that Microsoft has decided the average user doesn't need. I know this isn't going to happen, partly for security reasons and partly for business strategy reasons, but that doesn't mean I can't be pissed off and bitch and moan about it. Ultimately, I will probably spend the money to buy a second PC, and use Windows only for gaming and Linux for everything else.

I apologize for the fact that this rant included a lot of nitpicking of the OS itself, but I believe that it is not since IE4 and its integration with explorer and the desktop that MS has so clearly and deliberately compromised user experience and choice in favor of their business goals, so I feel like these days you really can't criticize Microsoft's business strategy without criticizing Windows 10, and vice versa.

plushpuffin fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 26, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

You have got to be kidding me. HiDPi has been out for nearly a year and Google hasn't got it together?

To be fair, no one has really good HiDPi support on Windows :shobon:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Stanley Pain posted:

To be fair, no one has really good HiDPi support on Windows :shobon:
True.

And anybody else think if you bother to click the x on a notification pop-up it should actually acknowledge that by dismissing the notification completely instead of making you clear it a second time from the action center?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

plushpuffin posted:

That is a good point. It's just seems so stupid to me that they can't be bothered to put forth the bare minimum effort needed to engage with users, and instead they let them stew and bounce crazy ideas off of each other and generate bad press for MS. With all this personal data being collected and stored on their servers, you would think they would understand the importance of establishing trust with their users.
They get nothing from good feelings, though - especially when they are so far behind in drat near every game mainly due to the fact that they previously cared about (or ignored wholesale) that sort of thing.

At the same time:
I'm not going to call you a hypocrite simply because you use Android while not like the direction that Windows is going. If I wanted to argue Strawberry vs Grape KoolAid, I'd be in GBS. My question, regarding who you care for, isn't pointing at your motivations or to win a point, it's seeing what your thought process on the whole privacy deal is.

I get you, I really do. I, personally, avoid Google because of their tactics - especially in how they handle opt-outs. So far Microsoft seems to be honoring their opt-outs and I'll drop them to minimal use when I find out that they aren't, as well as telling everyone that they aren't trustworthy enough to handle anyone's data. But I value privacy - and I'm probably a little nuttier about it than you.

That being said, my concerns aren't others' concerns. I'll bet that they, like Google before them, make just a metric poo poo load of money from it. As a result, especially given my working field, I need to understand and embrace it (and, of course, learn how to turn it off) and not avoid it.

ilkhan posted:

True.

And anybody else think if you bother to click the x on a notification pop-up it should actually acknowledge that by dismissing the notification completely instead of making you clear it a second time from the action center?

Holy poo poo, this. None of my platforms do this in a way that's useful. Not OS X, iOS, Android, or now Windows will clear the notification area without telling it to go away manually - even if you interact with those programs after the notification. The only platform that does a piece of it right is iOS, which clears the notifications on the lock screen when you unlock so that you can ignore the notification tray almost 100% of the time.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Arsten posted:

They get nothing from good feelings, though - especially when they are so far behind in drat near every game mainly due to the fact that they previously cared about (or ignored wholesale) that sort of thing.

At the same time:

I'm not going to call you a hypocrite simply because you use Android while not like the direction that Windows is going. If I wanted to argue Strawberry vs Grape KoolAid, I'd be in GBS. My question, regarding who you care for, isn't pointing at your motivations or to win a point, it's seeing what your thought process on the whole privacy deal is.

I get you, I really do. I, personally, avoid Google because of their tactics - especially in how they handle opt-outs. So far Microsoft seems to be honoring their opt-outs and I'll drop them to minimal use when I find out that they aren't, as well as telling everyone that they aren't trustworthy enough to handle anyone's data. But I value privacy - and I'm probably a little nuttier about it than you.

That being said, my concerns aren't others' concerns. I'll bet that they, like Google before them, make just a metric poo poo load of money from it. As a result, especially given my working field, I need to understand and embrace it (and, of course, learn how to turn it off) and not avoid it.

Thank you for not just calling me a nut for disliking Windows 10. Just as an FYI, I was not being defensive. I really just needed to vent after trying Windows 10 for a month and spending a large fraction of that month wrestling with the operating system and finally giving up in disgust.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I was talking about an edge case, not an Edge case.

I run uBlock Origin now which does take care of a decent amount of tracking/referral stuff. I don't get your logic though: "Lots of sites track you, so why not make it easy for Microsoft to track you even more when it's a one-time toggle to prevent it?"

I was expanding on your SmartScreen comment.
My point is not so much "just let everyone have everything there is to know about you" and more "why twist and turn to make sure one company doesn't get your info, but not the others?"

I mean, I'm right there with you on not wanting companies, advertising or otherwise, building a profile on me. But disabling tracking in Windows 10 and then using a browser that doesn't allow you to prevent advertising agencies to track you seems hypocritical.

I'm not saying to go completely tinfoil hat, but just don't forget that it's not just the OS that wants your data.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So, I've got a work laptop with a lot of (semi-)unusual software on it since I'm an embedded/IoT device programmer/researcher and like to customize my gear.

Stuff like weird toolchains, VM's, customization software and virtual desktops, etc.

Since it is my work laptop I postponed upgrading to Windows 10 so far but I'm finally considering making the move. Any big jay/nay arguments for this?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Can anyone explain (or guess at) why MS has chosen to make Win10 disable NumLock at startup even though it's clearly set to Enabled in BIOS/UEFI?

I've seen this on quite a few systems, both 7->10 upgrades as well as factory new 10 systems. Makes for super confused users with numbers in their passwords who are accustomed to using the 10-key pad.

Seriously, what the goddamn hell could be the rational for this, especially as more users are trying out PIN use?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tapedump posted:

Can anyone explain (or guess at) why MS has chosen to make Win10 disable NumLock at startup even though it's clearly set to Enabled in BIOS/UEFI?

I've seen this on quite a few systems, both 7->10 upgrades as well as factory new 10 systems. Makes for super confused users with numbers in their passwords who are accustomed to using the 10-key pad.

Seriously, what the goddamn hell could be the rational for this, especially as more users are trying out PIN use?

Windows remembers the numlock state fromt he last time at the lgin screen. turn numlock on, then select restart from the power button ont hat screen, and it should stick from then on.

Also, there is a registry change you can make: http://tweaks.com/windows/67063/enable-num-lock-on-the-windows-10-lock-screen/

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I plan on upgrading to windows 10, I have windows 7 so my understanding is that the upgrade is free, but is there any easy way to do a full clean install?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Kalenden posted:

So, I've got a work laptop with a lot of (semi-)unusual software on it since I'm an embedded/IoT device programmer/researcher and like to customize my gear.

Stuff like weird toolchains, VM's, customization software and virtual desktops, etc.

Since it is my work laptop I postponed upgrading to Windows 10 so far but I'm finally considering making the move. Any big jay/nay arguments for this?

You should probably check if there are any compatibility issues before making the jump.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Knifegrab posted:

So I plan on upgrading to windows 10, I have windows 7 so my understanding is that the upgrade is free, but is there any easy way to do a full clean install?

Yes, actually. You can get pretty close to a zero-drive install just by resetting your PC in Settings > Update > Recovery (have backups oh god).

If you've already upgraded to Windows 10 on that machine, you can do a zero-drive install, tell it what edition of Windows 10 (Core (no suffix) or Pro) you upgraded to, and NOT give it a key, and it'll pull down your hardware's license info from Microsoft's servers and activate that way.

Also a Windows 10 disk made since November (a new set including all the February updates went out on March 4) can take retail keys directly and pull OEM keys from firmware (I don't know if it works with Windows 7 OEM keys) and install the appropriate edition of Windows 10 from that. Not so much VLK or MAK (think pre-DreamSpark MSDNAA) keys.

Note that if you had or wanted to put Windows 7/8.1/10 Pro on a computer with a home/core license (or vice versa though I can't imagine why), it'll pull the home license from firmware unless you tell Windows with a {install-media}\sources\ei.cfg file to install Pro, and it won't activate this way unless you already activated a previous Windows 10 Pro environment with its hardware profile or use a valid Pro key (that still probably can't be VLK or MAK).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 28, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yes, actually. You can get pretty close to a zero-drive install just by resetting your PC in Settings > Update > Recovery (have backups oh god).

If you've already upgraded to Windows 10 on that machine, you can do a zero-drive install, tell it what edition of Windows 10 (Core (no suffix) or Pro) you upgraded to, and NOT give it a key, and it'll pull down your hardware's license info from Microsoft's servers and activate that way.

Also a Windows 10 disk made since November (a new set including all the February updates went out on March 4) can take retail keys directly and pull OEM keys from firmware (I don't know if it works with Windows 7 OEM keys) and install the appropriate edition of Windows 10 from that. Not so much VLK or MAK (think pre-DreamSpark MSDNAA) keys.

Note that if you had or wanted to put Windows 7/8.1/10 Pro on a computer with a home/core license (or vice versa though I can't imagine why), it'll pull the home license from firmware unless you tell Windows with a {install-media}\sources\ei.cfg file to install Pro, and it won't activate this way unless you already activated a previous Windows 10 Pro environment with its hardware profile or use a valid Pro key (that still probably can't be VLK or MAK).

I am a big dumb idiot. All I really want is a way to put windows 10 on a flash key and do a full format/install of my C drive. Since I am running windows 7 is there an easy way to do this?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Download the media creator - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Use "Create installation medium for another PC" and it will prompt you for a USB.

From your installation USB you can perform a clean install and just put your 7 key in when prompted.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Also a Windows 10 disk made since November (a new set including all the February updates went out on March 4)

How do you know the images were updated on 4th March?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

Download the media creator - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Use "Create installation medium for another PC" and it will prompt you for a USB.

From your installation USB you can perform a clean install and just put your 7 key in when prompted.

If I don't know what my windows 7 key is, can I figure that out?

Nevermind google pointed me towards magic jelly bean.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 28, 2016

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I read on these forums that magic jelly bean comes with adware embedded.

Not a problem if you just want to find out your key before nuking the OS, of course.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wormil posted:

Boomers have latched onto W10 as the new evil they must warn us about. I'm not interested in trying to convince them but I'd like good information for myself. Trouble is, the internet is full of W10 fear mongering and typically the articles don't support the headlines. Other articles are overboard in their support for MS. So what is the real scoop and what source is trustworthy?

Dunno, my dad thinks it's alright, even though it upgraded to 10 automatically without checking there's no graphics driver. I found a work around in the end, but his machine had been running with the basic graphics driver for months (before I came back to visit).

Oh, and when it upgraded to a newer build of 10, the fast boot feature stopped working. It would stay on a black screen for around 10 minutes every time you booted the machine. Turning off fast boot fixes the issue.

I'd wager there are going to be plenty of older folks out there with similar issues, on hardware that would be better with 7.

It is also more chatty on the internet connection, so if you have a crap connection or a cap, that could be rather annoying.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 30, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How do you know the images were updated on 4th March?

Media Creation Tool's images are updated when the MSDN/TechBench/other-OS Windows 10 install images are. Actually it's from February according to the internals but it went up on the 4th.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

EoRaptor posted:

Windows remembers the numlock state fromt he last time at the lgin screen. turn numlock on, then select restart from the power button ont hat screen, and it should stick from then on.
Windows 10 alone does thing or do earlier versions as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Media Creation Tool's images are updated when the MSDN/TechBench/other-OS Windows 10 install images are. Actually it's from February according to the internals but it went up on the 4th.

Good to know, thanks.

Has anyone got the updated Outlook.com/Hotmail web interface yet? I'm still looking at the 2012 version.