Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao "ugh I had so much proof but somebody ran and snitched so now Cruz deleted it all"

like, what the gently caress man, didn't think to back that poo poo up or even screenshot it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

lmao "ugh I had so much proof but somebody ran and snitched so now Cruz deleted it all"

like, what the gently caress man, didn't think to back that poo poo up or even screenshot it?

https://twitter.com/RWSurferGirl1/status/714342364689465344

Apparently? Yes. Yes she did.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Oiled and Ready posted:

I said you better quit
Talkin that poo poo

Or you'll be leavin with a pink slip

A staffer-fuckin' slimeballlll
In the store room, rawwww
And if the campaign keeps going this way we just might separate tonight

This is so ripe for editing

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 28, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

drat, this unhinged conservative blowhard seems to have a point...

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Actually it is noteworthy every single time that a presidential candidate answers a question about putting people in camps with "No, buuuuut...." :smugdon: dogwhistles, instead of "Excuse me, what? Of course we shouldn't put Muslims in loving concentration camps, are you insane? How could you possibly think that I would ever want something like that? Is that really the impression I'm giving off? Jesus, I need to rethink some things..."

I just don't think it was a mistaken impression in the first place and was more of a "have you stopped beating your wife?" question than any serious inquiry. What Trump did was turn the question into the frame of reference that he'd actually like his policy seen in, that of vigilance and not persecution. They intentionally misread his statements in order to further some kind of authoritarian image. Trump saw it as a trap and sidestepped it. If he did what you suggested he would have walked right into it, playing into their narrative, ie he would have been on the defensive and in the line of fire for even being offended that they'd think he would do that. Give an inch and they will take a mile when one is operating in uncharted territory like Trump is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Surfer Girl is a loving whacko but she's legit well connected in groups like Cruz's circles and all

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

No Mans Land posted:

I just don't think it was a mistaken impression in the first place and was more of a "have you stopped beating your wife?" question than any serious inquiry. What Trump did was turn the question into the frame of reference that he'd actually like his policy seen in, that of vigilance and not persecution. They intentionally misread his statements in order to further some kind of authoritarian image. Trump saw it as a trap and sidestepped it. If he did what you suggested he would have walked right into it, playing into their narrative, ie he would have been on the defensive and in the line of fire for even being offended that they'd think he would do that. Give an inch and they will take a mile when one is operating in uncharted territory like Trump is.

Reminder that "Do you still beat your wife?" is actually a legitimate question to ask Donald Trump.

E:

Trumps Baby Hands fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 28, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

No Mans Land posted:

Let's not let the means justify the ends here, at the end of the day putting Muslims in camps would still be putting Muslims in camps. You can call it a Vigilance Camp if you want but that doesn't really help.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Surfer Girl is a loving whacko but she's legit well connected in groups like Cruz's circles and all

I buy it because anyone with an elite college education or knows people with ones know that's not how they act (how Cruz carries himself in the public) and Ted Cruz is just manipulating stupid people like Donald Trump but he took on the easier challenger of manipulating religious people which is like shooting fish in a barrel with an automatic shotgun.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yeah she's nuts, but she's well thought of in those circles.

If her "source" says no...is there ways of her to leak it with her claiming ignorance? Like "Oh I got hacked, etc".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

Let's not let the means justify the ends here, at the end of the day putting Muslims in camps would still be putting Muslims in camps. You can call it a Vigilance Camp if you want but that doesn't really help.

I am reminded of an Atwater quote on such matters and changing the labeling for the same idea to make it easier to sell....

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Reminder that "Do you still beat your wife?" is actually a legitimate question to ask Donald Trump.

You could go that route i guess...but then

quote:

But even if The Donald’s First Lady is a silent partner, Ivana thinks candidate Trump will be as good a President as he keeps telling us he’ll be.

“He’ll be a great President,” she said. “He’ll surround himself with the right people. He was always meant to be a politician.”

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/ivana-lady-article-1.2418193

Chantilly Say posted:

Only the media has said anything about camps.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
i'm going to go ahead and make an appeal to *rational arguments* and say that "gently caress no, what" is the only proper response to "do you want to put muslims in camps"

nth dimensional chess is acceptable when you're talking about MY FAVRIT politicians and their dogwhistles, completely unacceptable when talking about the plights of minorities and demographic electioneering

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I really hope to wake up to the GOP in flames and cinders from the release of some substantial evidence against Cruz. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

quadrophrenic posted:

i'm going to go ahead and make an appeal to *rational arguments* and say that "gently caress no, what" is the only proper response to "do you want to put muslims in camps"

nth dimensional chess is acceptable when you're talking about MY FAVRIT politicians and their dogwhistles, completely unacceptable when talking about the plights of minorities and demographic electioneering

It would be taking the bait. I have no idea how you read any political events at all if you don't see this.

Example - "mr obama why do you want to take all our guns away"
"Omg thats outrageous how could you say that, of course i dont want to take away anyones guns"
Oops walked into a narrative

No Mans Land fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 28, 2016

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

No Mans Land posted:

It would be taking the bait. I have no idea how you read any political events at all if you don't see this.

tell me how to spin "HELL NO" o great talking head of the north

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

quadrophrenic posted:

tell me how to spin "HELL NO" o great talking head of the north

Its a defensive response. Opens you up to the same attacks but more pressing.

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster
Man Bernie supporters really aren't equipped for their future political revolution are they..and its always going to be in the future.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

No Mans Land posted:

Only the media has said anything about camps.

quote:

Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump told TIME that he does not know whether he would have supported or opposed the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.
http://time.com/4140050/donald-trump-muslims-japanese-internment/

If you're on the record as unsure about detention camps, that's not really a proactive response. Trump's continued refusal to clarify his positions might be showing how weak he knows he really is on them.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

No Man's Land, how many women did you talk to today?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

No Mans Land posted:

Example - "mr obama why do you want to take all our guns away"
"Omg thats outrageous how could you say that, of course i dont want to take away anyones guns"
Oops walked into a narrative

To be fair this probably does make sense in Trump's head--he doesn't know that no means no, so he assumes nobody else does either.

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

Chantilly Say posted:

http://time.com/4140050/donald-trump-muslims-japanese-internment/

If you're on the record as unsure about detention camps, that's not really a proactive response. Trump's continued refusal to clarify his positions might be showing how weak he knows he really is on them.

WW2 was a completely different time. His position on a past hypothetical has no bearing on todays issues. Besides, a past president was for those internment camps, and they only seem like a bad idea in hindsight. Besides, it was a time of total war. It's progress enough that Trump is on the fence about them in retrospect. If he said he ruled them out then he would get a whole new wave of attacks from critics saying "he doesn't know what the situation was like back then" and bla bla.

Basically that was another attempt at a bait.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

No Mans Land posted:

WW2 was a completely different time. His position on a past hypothetical has no bearing on todays issues. Besides, a past president was for those internment camps, and they only seem like a bad idea in hindsight. Besides, it was a time of total war.
shut the gently caress up

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

No Mans Land posted:

If he said he ruled them out then he would get a whole new wave of attacks from critics saying "he doesn't know what the situation was like back then" and bla bla.

Yeah, people might say bad things about Donald Trump, we know he hates that and tries his best not to insult or attack others in turn.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

No Forum For No Mans Land

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

No Mans Land posted:

WW2 was a completely different time. His position on a past hypothetical has no bearing on todays issues. Besides, a past president was for those internment camps, and they only seem like a bad idea in hindsight. Besides, it was a time of total war. It's progress enough that Trump is on the fence about them in retrospect. If he said he ruled them out then he would get a whole new wave of attacks from critics saying "he doesn't know what the situation was like back then" and bla bla.

Hmm, I wonder if he wavers on slavery and the trail of tears too.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Has anyone probed deeply which historical period "again" refers to?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

No Mans Land posted:

mods please wordfilter this entire paragraph to "b-b-b-b-b-but b-but but"

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm, I wonder if he wavers on slavery and the trail of tears too.

A past president was for those forced migrations and the trail of tears only seems like a bad idea in hindsight.

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

Chantilly Say posted:

Yeah, people might say bad things about Donald Trump, we know he hates that and tries his best not to insult or attack others in turn.

Why stay on the defensive against people arguing in bad faith though

BanjoFish posted:

A past president was for those forced migrations and the trail of tears only seems like a bad idea in hindsight.

This is true though. You can't judge historical decisions based on present perspectives, or if you do youre going down a rabbit hole of no return.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
To be clear I get the principle of staying vague on someone in order to have more maneuvering room later, and I get that that's a tactic that's useful in any negotiation whether business or international politics or what have you, but "should we put people into camps based on race or religion" wasn't a question in this election until Trump refused to give an opinion, so his dodge here is what makes it an issue in the first place.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
loving how much more complex does this have to be, you shouldn't vote for a dude who doesn't firmly say "NO" when asked if he would consider religious internment

the american people respect resolve

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

No Mans Land posted:

Why stay on the defensive against people arguing in bad faith though

I don't know, why not ask him that? Declining to give an opinion on that issue is pretty defensive behavior.

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster
Apparently moral relativism has its limits, and we are going to find out what those are in this very thread.

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

quadrophrenic posted:

loving how much more complex does this have to be, you shouldn't vote for a dude who doesn't firmly say "NO" when asked if he would consider religious internment

the american people respect resolve

He did say no, what, why do you need the added emotional appeal on it?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When Trump is building a condo tower, if somebody asks him "by the way, will the plumbing from the penthouse dump raw unfiltered sewage into the cheap apartments?" I'm pretty sure his answer won't be "you know, I don't really know right now, let me check on that and get back to you."

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

Chantilly Say posted:

When Trump is building a condo tower, if somebody asks him "by the way, will the plumbing from the penthouse dump raw unfiltered sewage into the cheap apartments?" I'm pretty sure his answer won't be "you know, I don't really know right now, let me check on that and get back to you."

This is something you would assume a tower owner would not do. And any reasonable condo owner would ignore or sidestep that question if asked because of how unreasonable it is. He would assume the questioner was asking in bad faith. Maybe a Bernie supporter looking for Section 8??

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Chantilly Say posted:

"we have the best sewage, I negotiated the best deals, those are good sewages, the best sewages coming into your apartment, they are going to help us make this apartment great again"

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

No Mans Land posted:

He did say no, what, why do you need the added emotional appeal on it?

Because it's so hosed up, dude. That's the crux of this thing: he answered it as a legitimate question and not as an insult on his character. Like, if a reporter asked 2004 George Bush whether he thought we should put American Muslims into camps, Bush would've been rightfully upset, would've probably started crying, and both the right and the left would've denounced the reporter as being unprofessional. This election has corrupted our brains so much that it's hard to remember what the normal bounds of political discourse were before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

No Mans Land posted:

This is something you would assume a tower owner would not do. And any reasonable condo owner would ignore or sidestep that question if asked because of how unreasonable it is. He would assume the questioner was asking in bad faith. Maybe a Bernie supporter looking for Section 8??

If I'm asking in bad faith I can do a hell of a lot more with a non-answer to an unreasonable question than I can with a firm "no, also what are you even talking about"

• Locked thread