Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

WoWS needs a setting where occasionally getting hit causes members of the crew to panic and run around waving swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've been pleasantly surprised by the Svetlana after fully upgrading it. It seems to have the advantage of being under-estimated by enemies too. People would much rather shoot at a Kuma.

The Novik is the worst ship in the game. I'm going for the T6 and stopping there.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I think the Sveltana engine may be bugged, it breaks so often it's extremely annoying.

It has good torps though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvFjJLITAM

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think the Yorck is the best T7 cruiser now. I've been a big fan or Myoko and it was the only cruiser I've re-bought after selling it. I'm going through Yorck on my way to Hipper and am seriously considering selling the Myoko again and keeping the Yorck instead. The one problem is the captain skill.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Got the Bogatyr and am loving it. The firepower is quite something after playing the Novik and the low tier Germans for a while. I somehow managed to citadel-pen a South Carolina from like 10 km out, and even without citadels the thing puts out pretty consistent damage.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think the Yorck is the best T7 cruiser now. I've been a big fan or Myoko and it was the only cruiser I've re-bought after selling it. I'm going through Yorck on my way to Hipper and am seriously considering selling the Myoko again and keeping the Yorck instead. The one problem is the captain skill.

The AP on the Yorck is a loving nightmare for my Colorado and Nagato

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Is the Farragut C hull worth getting? Better AA but lose a turret?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Burt posted:

its only one gun, won't be much of a difference, you'll still be sinking destroyers even with one less gun. The primary purpose of AA guns on destroyers is to keep carrier fighter planes from hounding you.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Fizzil posted:

its only one gun, won't be much of a difference, you'll still be sinking destroyers even with one less gun. The primary purpose of AA guns on destroyers is to keep carrier fighter planes from hounding you.

An extra gun will always be beneficial but you won't always be in a match with CV's.

Plus I usually keep my AA guns turned off in DD's anyway.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

axelord posted:

An extra gun will always be beneficial but you won't always be in a match with CV's.

Plus I usually keep my AA guns turned off in DD's anyway.

Yeah that's my thinking but I wondered if it was worth it to shoot the random fighter squadron that gets assigned on you and keeps you lit up.

Also what do I get first, Budyonny or Nurnburg? I will get both eventually but i'm stuck which to pick first. FWP.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The 4 gun US DDs have the option of taking Defensive Fire, if that appeals to you. It's usually not worth it, since all the hulls can get fully upgraded without sacrificing a turret for more AA, and your AA is pretty pitiful anyways. It's only really a teamplay option, until you get to the Fletcher (which keeps all of its turrets on all hulls).

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
So if I felt inclined to play with goons, how does one work this discord magic? (I just installed the program, unsure how to get to a good WoWs channel).

Annnnnd I've found my answer, never mind me.

The Rev fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 29, 2016

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Burt posted:

Yeah that's my thinking but I wondered if it was worth it to shoot the random fighter squadron that gets assigned on you and keeps you lit up.

Also what do I get first, Budyonny or Nurnburg? I will get both eventually but i'm stuck which to pick first. FWP.

I dont think the increase in AA firepower is nearly enough to make up for losing a main gun on those Destroyer fits. Half the random battles anyways have no carriers. In games where there are like two CVs on each side, I try to hang closer to the pack and can quickly turn towards the AAA umbrella of a friendly BB or cruiser if planes are heading for me spotted or otherwise.

I havent played the Budyonny, but both have lovely defense and similarly sized gun batteries. Nurn though has a significantly faster rate of fire, better torps, and German hydrophones. Boody will have ever so slightly better AA and will probably withstand AP shells from enemy cruisers/DDs a bit better.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 29, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The Rev posted:

So if I felt inclined to play with goons, how does one work this discord magic? (I just installed the program, unsure how to get to a good WoWs channel).

Annnnnd I've found my answer, never mind me.

A bunch of us idle in AFK, and join in the channel when we feel like playing - we'll also message each other if we'd like to div up.

I haven't played since thursday due to hosting friends from out of town but I'll likely be back online tomorrow evening EST.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pacra posted:

A bunch of us idle in AFK, and join in the channel when we feel like playing - we'll also message each other if we'd like to div up.

I haven't played since thursday due to hosting friends from out of town but I'll likely be back online tomorrow evening EST.

I had some internet problems this weekend :( I'll see what I can do later this week.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

thoughts on the 4pt skill for rus CAs? seems like a hard choice between the two AA options and fire %

also finally have the konigsberg, it feels very lackluster and AP seems to bounce all the time. loving the kirov though

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

guidoanselmi posted:

thoughts on the 4pt skill for rus CAs? seems like a hard choice between the two AA options and fire %

also finally have the konigsberg, it feels very lackluster and AP seems to bounce all the time. loving the kirov though

If you run Defensive Fire, you'll likely want AFT as well. If you don't care about AA at all, though, then go for Demolition Expert. Ya nerd.

Haven't been on recently, been busy with work and got hooked on Planetside 2 again after a year. Eventually I'll hate myself and come back to boats. Maybe tomorrow.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

guidoanselmi posted:

AFT is the best of the two AA upgrades.
The manual firing one is only good if you take both (good on US BBs).

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Burt posted:

that gun is worth 20% of your firepower.......and guns on farragut are extra effective since it can stealth fire so easily.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm not the best player, so take it for what it's worth, but I use the C Hull on the Farragut. That middle gun has, in my opinion, lousy arcs. I mostly go DD hunting with my boat and the only time that I'm really broadside to anything is stationary in smoke. When shucking and jiving with some enemy DD, that midships gun hardly ever comes in to play.

edit: Maybe I should go back to the B hull. Losing a gun is painful when you're left with three.

double ninja edit: I had a game last night where I lost both turrets on my Ognevoi. That sucked, but luckily I had already sunk a carrier.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 30, 2016

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Any advice on the mods for the Konigsberg? I finally unlocked it and with 8k hull and another 38k to unlock the Nurnberg I will be married to this for a while.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Any advice on the mods for the Konigsberg? I finally unlocked it and with 8k hull and another 38k to unlock the Nurnberg I will be married to this for a while.

I went with main battery mod, accuracy mod, then propulsion mod. Thankfully the engines arent quite as fragile as they were at launch (when DD HE could easily disable)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What the gently caress is this 1GB patch that I have to download over hotel internet supposed to do?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Phanatic posted:

What the gently caress is this 1GB patch that I have to download over hotel internet supposed to do?

poked around in the .patch file, found the following:

There is now a map called "Jacuzzi", the minimap picture has what appears to be bathtub toys for islands

That animated captain dude with the fish in a bowl ? his actual ship is in there (fully modeled and skinned, port icons, the whole 9 yards, possibly 4 different colors)

The above mentioned ships will have yellow stars as the smoke trail for fired shells.

The other 95% of the patch file is updated audio files (the whole audio folder is ~1.14GB un-zipped)

So April event is apparently we get to play in a bathtub as that captain dude & they replaced a lot of the in-game audio.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
And US Cruisers finaly get the radar.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Hazdoc, wdarkk, and I in a triple Nagato divison this evening -

:japan:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Right before that Hazdoc and I had the most improbable victory I've ever seen, featuring a division of a Colorado and a St Louis.

One guy did less than the St Louis. He was in a Mikhail Kutuzov.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

wdarkk posted:

One guy did less than the St Louis. He was in a Mikhail Kutuzov.

That part is very probable.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Yesterday was one of those days where every match seemed to go wrong. I made stupid mistakes, got in bad situations, bullshit nonsense I don't normally do.

El Disco posted:

That part is very probable.

When I see Tirpitz's, Kutuzov's, and Atago's, I wonder "Decent player, or wallet warrior?" Too often, it's the latter.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Phanatic posted:

RIP your Internet connection.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The North Carolina is the battleship I have been waiting my whole life for. Finally the grind pays off.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MrKatharsis posted:

The North Carolina is the battleship I have been waiting my whole life for. Finally the grind pays off.

Nice, isn't it? Be sure to ignore your rear turret most of the time and keep yourself angled towards the enemy. Staying alive longer is more important than throwing a few extra shells downrange.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

When I see Tirpitz's, Kutuzov's, and Atago's, I wonder "Decent player, or wallet warrior?" Too often, it's the latter.

It's too bad, Kutuzov reminds me of pre-nerf(s) Mogami.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Konigsberg isn't as bad as the rest of the line has felt so far. Finally.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Konigsberg isn't as bad as the rest of the line has felt so far. Finally.

Here's what to expect from the next 3 of the line:

Nurnberg - small improvements from the Konigsberg, same exact gameplay, but you face a tier higher. This is big problem for the Nurnberg, its improvements just don't measure up to a +1 tier matchup.

Yorck - Ugly duckling of the line (Kolberg and Karlsruhe would be the aborted fetuses of the line), glass cannon with good HE, excellent AP as well but the angles on the AP shots are crazy, and their float is somewhere in the 'ionosphere' category. Best to use HE all the time except within <8km of things that melt from AP, <10km when you get used to the AP travel time, maybe <12km for light-armor battleships like Fuso. Yorck is actually one of my favorite ships in the game - you'll either love it or hate it.

Hipper - great velocity and hard hitting AP, turns like a brick unfortunately and sees tier 8/9/10 games regularly. It turning like a brick means while previously from the rest of the line, you could wiggle out of those just-misses from BBs and far range CAs, now they'll tag you. Low survivability. Even though the AP is great, most people in these tiers will know to angle, and you kind of suck against angled BBs, unlike the flamethrowers. I was looking forward to this ship but came to hate its peccadilloes.

The Roon is supposed to be very good though, like a T9 Konigsberg on steroids.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

My defining memory of the Hipper was when I had a gunfight with two equal-tier destroyers and lost.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Bath boates is serious business. ~crashes into rubber duck~

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 1, 2016

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It was fun for two matches then the realization after the next four where I was friendly torped repeatedly this was a bad idea.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

demonR6 posted:

It was fun for two matches then the realization after the next four where I was friendly torped repeatedly this was a bad idea.

I wish the older cruisers and BB's with hull mounted torpedoes could have that narrow foward arc single torpedo. That would be hilarious at those tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Had an immensely satisfying match today. Two fighter bogue kinda sucks since half the time you are against a single carrier, but when you get a good game it is great.