Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

keevo posted:

Wasn't the tax issue the biggest problem with the race?

I think that was the nail in the coffin. I forget the specifics of that but I recall it being pretty hilarious at the time, something like them wanting all the teams to get taxed as if they were an Indian company before entering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

be nice wicka posted:

completely off topic, but if you've ever wondered who is currently eligible for a super license based on the new points system, wiki has a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence#Drivers_securing_a_Super_Licence

So it looks like if you drive in LMP1H you get a superlicence pretty much. Although there are some GTLM drivers in that list.

daslog posted:

The business model really boils down to "find the tracks willing to pay the most money." Europeans probably feel like F1 is their sport and there should be more races there, but if the fans don't turn out to pay the high prices then Europe will end up with as many races as the USA gets.

Honestly the prices are ridiculous for most european races, its cheaper for me to run two trackdays or sprint days than it is to watch an F1 race live. It makes watching any other form of motorsport live look incredibly cheap in comparison.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Spain has like a million MotoGP races and they all get loving packed every year mostly because they don't have insane ticket prices.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Current day F1 is basically the height of trickle down economics

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

go3 posted:

Current day F1 is basically the height of trickle down economics
As in, the men at the top piss on everyone else and tell them it's raining.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Today I realized I forgot the Indian gp was a "race"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss Korea.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Possibly Chicken posted:

Today I realized I forgot the Indian gp was a "race"

It displaced villages, ruined farmland only to be poo poo-canned after 3 races.

THANKS BERNIE!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Remember when they drove a jeep on the track during the Korean Grand Prix? Truly one of the greatest moments in F1 history. RIP just RIP.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Alain Post posted:

Remember when they drove a jeep on the track during the Korean Grand Prix? Truly one of the greatest moments in F1 history. RIP just RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc034MLT02c

Beep beep!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I dont even hate the tilkedromes. I consider Turkey, Korea AND Valencia to be fun, interesting racing circuits. They didnt deserve to be bernie'd (valencia is boring looking but fun in sims)

Korea was terrible and they thought las vegas was going to spring up in the middle of an industrial swamp.

Korea was a result of corrupt local government officials skimming off government grants more than anything else. Don't think they ever cared if it would work or not.
Turkey was an awesome track, Korea was quite decent, but Valencia was absolutely horrible.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

learnincurve posted:

I'm surprised F1 isn't at the Circuit de la Sarthe for the French GP, or Bathurst for the Australian GP.

It's not really surprising, Bathurst isn't and could never be a grade 1 track, it would be fun to watch though, at least until about halfway through the first full speed lap.

Even if the full la Sarthe was a grade 1, you're insane if you think that FOM would ever look into going there or that the ACO's response wouldn't just be "lol gently caress off."

They did run the Bugatti circuit in 67 though and it was so awful they've never gone back.

Edit: would the halo devices handle a kangaroo impact?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We can dream of Australian (and British) races that are on a good track, won't happen without massive investments from the FOM though :(.

Re: halo vs roos my favourite line on wiki.

quote:

In Australia, specific actions taken to protect against the variety of animals that can damage vehicles – such as bullbars (usually known in Australia as 'roo bars', in reference to kangaroos) – indicate the Australian experience has some unique features with road kill.

My mum hit a Wedge-Tail Eagle on the highway when I was a kid with 8 hours of the journey left to go. Pity us.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Albert Park is a good track.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Something something about Alonso's career http://www.motorsport.com/general/video/main-gallery/race-car-lost-at-sebring-ends-up-on-public-road-47644/

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I'm surprised F1 isn't at the Circuit de la Sarthe for the French GP, or Bathurst for the Australian GP.

Cool footage of Jenson driving a Mclaren round bathurst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDDFgtXRBU

Onboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4XVF3jJL5Q

I think you just gave wicka an aneurism by suggesting modern F1 should race at Bathurst which has no run off on half the circuit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
/shrug as I said a lot of old tracks need massive modifications to make them safe for F1, best we can hope for at this point is a F1 racing game with old and dream tracks on it. Would certainly be an interesting demonstration for a lot of the fanbase as to why a lot of older designs were ludicrously dangerous. Would a modern aero F1 car even make it round the old banking at monza without achieving flight and ending up stuck in a tree?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've been putting some sim time into Mugello.
gently caress what a great track. F1 needs to get its poo poo togeather and use it...

Norns fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 27, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Forgot to mention this before. Ferrari are dumping their alonso era Ferrari Scuderia fragrances on the market before all the new Seb branded stuff comes out. http://www.fragrantica.com/designers/Ferrari.html the big bottles in the range are currently on ebay and amazon for £14-£20 Scuderia black is a clone of Boss Bottled but half price.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

learnincurve posted:

Forgot to mention this before. Ferrari are dumping their alonso era Ferrari Scuderia fragrances on the market before all the new Seb branded stuff comes out. http://www.fragrantica.com/designers/Ferrari.html the big bottles in the range are currently on ebay and amazon for £14-£20 Scuderia black is a clone of Boss Bottled but half price.

gently caress it. Getting me some Alonso spray.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I've been putting some sim time into Mugello.
gently caress what a great track. F1 needs to get its poo poo togeather and use it...

don't think ferrari would want every other team having data on their test track

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
They did a couple days of test at Mugello a few years ago but all the teams except Ferrari bitched and moaned a lot for no reason and they never went back

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mugello seems like it'd be nice to drive but real real hard to overtake on

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

don't think ferrari would want every other team having data on their test track

they have done exactly this in the past, I think the last time they tested there was 2012

http://www.crash.net/f1/results/179258/1/mugello-f1-test-times-combined-13-may.html

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
bathurst is a fuckin garbage track stop making me agree with wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i have said literally nothing ever about bathurst

e: nor have i ever said anything ever about tracks without run-offs, this poo poo is seriously getting old you guys

wicka fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 27, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

JFairfax posted:

they have done exactly this in the past, I think the last time they tested there was 2012

http://www.crash.net/f1/results/179258/1/mugello-f1-test-times-combined-13-may.html

completely forgot, thanks. nonetheless, if the problem is that monza doesn't want to spend the money, i don't think ferrari is going to be the organization that does.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Have Formula-type cars ever been on Bathhurst?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It said in one of the other Jenson Bathurst videos that he was the first one, and he ended up smashing the track record by a ludicrous amount without even pushing that hard, iirc they thought if he had been going full speed he would have beaten it by at least 40 seconds. Fasted MotoGp lap at Mugello was 1:46.489 in 2015. In 2012 Grosjean got the unofficial record of 1:21.035 during testing. For all the complaining F1 fans do there is no denying that it's still the fastest race series out there by a country mile.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

Have Formula-type cars ever been on Bathhurst?

Formula Fords go there as a support race for the 12 Hour.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

learnincurve posted:

It said in one of the other Jenson Bathurst videos that he was the first one, and he ended up smashing the track record by a ludicrous amount without even pushing that hard, iirc they thought if he had been going full speed he would have beaten it by at least 40 seconds. Fasted MotoGp lap at Mugello was 1:46.489 in 2015. In 2012 Grosjean got the unofficial record of 1:21.035 during testing. For all the complaining F1 fans do there is no denying that it's still the fastest race series out there by a country mile.

Last year Lewis's pole time at Silverstone was 7 and a half seconds quicker than the Porsche 919 Hybrid's pole time for the WEC 6 Hours. The prototypes aren't slow by any stretch and they still can't even come close. Even the Manors were faster.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Can you even imagine what it must be like to keep that pace up for 2 hours at Singapore :allears:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

super formula cars were 5.4s off the pole time at suzuka last year, 4.8s off the fastest race lap. they are probably the fastest non-F1 cars in the world. indycars are somewhat more powerful than super formula cars, but super formula is also the lightest of the three, so it's hard to tell which is faster. indycar was about 22s faster than motogp around the indianapolis grand prix circuit last year, that's the best comparison i can think of.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
If WEC wanted they could develop a monster that'd make F1 cars seem slow by comparison but that's not what WEC is about, it''s right in it's name what it's about.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

gently caress it. Getting me some Alonso spray.

Alonso Spray: for when you want to smell cool and good

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

If WEC wanted they could develop a monster that'd make F1 cars seem slow by comparison but that's not what WEC is about, it''s right in it's name what it's about.

so could F1. there's not a racing series in the world that isn't holding back to some extent.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
The G29 deal was true, £99 today only -

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...135572-pdt.html

Already sold out online, so only available if you can reserve one in a store now.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
WEC at Bathurst would be cool.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

keevo posted:

WEC at Bathurst would be cool.

Don't know if the LMP1 cars could handle the top of the mountain curves/undulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12525/10220991/las-vegas-has-f1-contract-reveals-bernie-ecclestone

quote:

F1 has agreed a deal to race in Las Vegas, according to Bernie Ecclestone

The race we deserve.

• Locked thread