Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Apologies if I missed this; I didn't actually see the thread for like a week.

Android :airquote:Security:airquote: Update: A new root exploit found in most versions of the Linux kernel in place on Android phones.

Before the usual suspects spew opinions we could probably write from memory, THIS ISN'T REALLY ABOUT ROOT.

A quick look at the Linux kernel timeline will tell you that even the Nexuses are using phones whose kernels were never planned to be used for this long (you'll note that your 6P with its 3.10 is already technically end-of-life).

The problems happen when Android apps expect kernel support for things. Bad coding for the way Android works but sometimes the only way to get things done, and Android really has always been about compromising everything for pragmatism (or whatever Google thought would be neat this week), hasn't it.

Do I understand why it happens like this? Kind of yeah; kernels are ostensibly sort of a life-of-device thing (I'd appreciate it if someone with more knowledge of Android than me could provide us details on why this has historically been) and Google is ostensibly picking up the slack (sucks if you're not on a Nexus and apparently not great if you are) and refactoring Android for Linux 4 would probably cost millions of person-hours and close to a billion dollars.

Does it justify not doing that? Does it gently caress.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol if you don't make cardboard cutouts of every phone before you go into the store

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

How quick do you think phone development times are?

I'm not saying Motorola will just dump whatever they're working on to copy Samsung, but there are other devices coming out that are around that size which leads me to believe it's not just Samsung thinking that's the way things will go. I just phrased it wrong.

nimper posted:

The S7 isn't any bigger or smaller than the S6 or S5 though.

Yes exactly, but as someone said development cycles aren't 4-6 months. I'm saying it's coming to a point where there is a trend away from the phablet and that another generation of galaxy phones stuck with that. Long day. Word salad. :(

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 26, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm not saying Motorola will just dump whatever they're working on to copy Samsung,

Well yeah, that's LG's job.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Whizbang posted:

Well yeah, that's LG's job.

I'd like to think some drunk Samsung designer was at a bar talking about buttons on the back of the phone and the LG designer who overheard him missed the "are actually a dumb loving idea" part.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The problems happen when Android apps expect kernel support for things. Bad coding for the way Android works but sometimes the only way to get things done, and Android really has always been about compromising everything for pragmatism (or whatever Google thought would be neat this week), hasn't it.

There are pretty much no examples of things that are unsupported in the kernel that are the only way for things to get done, in regular Android applications. Most of the things in mainline that are missing in kernels on anything newer than Gingerbread are perhaps "nice to have" but there are plenty of alternatives. Using them in Android is harder to do, because no syscall interface is generated for you and you have to go out of your way to try to use them.

quote:

Do I understand why it happens like this? Kind of yeah; kernels are ostensibly sort of a life-of-device thing (I'd appreciate it if someone with more knowledge of Android than me could provide us details on why this has historically been) and Google is ostensibly picking up the slack (sucks if you're not on a Nexus and apparently not great if you are) and refactoring Android for Linux 4 would probably cost millions of person-hours and close to a billion dollars.

Generally, kernels are generally provided by SoC vendors (i.e. qualcomm) for each particular SoC they put out. It's true that Android had its own patches on top of the kernel for a while (binder, ion, ashmem), but many of these have been upstreamed, and most of the ones that aren't have upstream equivalents that wouldn't be hard to switch over to (e.g. ashmem -> memfd). The only real obstacle is hardware support.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
oh slap my dick clean off my body turning my groin into the smooth smooth lines of a porche.

Android wear refuses to update, so I uninstall, clear cache thinking its the usual bug of olden times gone.

TYOOL Two thousand and sixteen, it doesn't want to loving reinstall, severing the link between moto360 and nexus 6.

More Android N fuckery to come.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I need a new phone. Considering LG G3 and G4. Is the G4 worth the extra $$ ??

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Try reading the thread??

(TL;dr: you're dumb and get a Nexus you dummy)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Try reading the thread??

(TL;dr: you're dumb and get a Nexus you dummy)

Didn't see anything on the last few pages about these phones. :eng99:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PirateBob posted:

My wife had an LG G4 and hated it and is much happier with my hand-me-down Galaxy S6. The double tap to wake was neat, the camera software was terrible.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

PirateBob posted:

I'd go for the 4, the 3 is pretty old at this point.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

PirateBob posted:

That's because in phone years they are ancient. Get a Nexus or a Moto X Pure

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

I'd go for the 4, the 3 is pretty old at this point.

Apparently there's some horrible boot loop problem with newer G4 phones :eng99:

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

FWIW I have a G4 and have no problems with it. Can't really say there's a huge reason to get one if wanting a good camera and swappable battery/expandable storage isn't a priority for you, but if you can get one for a good deal I'd say go for it. It's nice to be able to drop in a spare battery and immediately jump to 100% at any rate.

PirateBob posted:

Almost all the gripes people have posted about non-Nexus phones boil down to an extra swipe to get to certain options or notification slots being taken up by toggles that aren't available for Farmville updates or whatever. The G4 certainly isn't exempt from this but it's quite frankly overblown, you can turn off pretty much anything you don't want. If you like nitpicking UI controls you might as well get a Nexus so the thread won't get caremad about your purchasing decisions.

uPen posted:

My wife had an LG G4 and hated it and is much happier with my hand-me-down Galaxy S6. The double tap to wake was neat, the camera software was terrible.
[/quot

I'd be curious to hear more details about this since the camera software is one of the most universally lauded features of the phone.

[quote="PirateBob" post="457912342"]
Apparently there's some horrible boot loop problem with newer G4 phones :eng99:

Haven't run into this one myself personally but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't getting blown out of proportion to some degree by the internet echo chamber. LG is exchanging them under warranty for anyone experiencing the issue though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

captain poopfister posted:

oh slap my dick clean off my body turning my groin into the smooth smooth lines of a porche.

Android wear refuses to update, so I uninstall, clear cache thinking its the usual bug of olden times gone.

TYOOL Two thousand and sixteen, it doesn't want to loving reinstall, severing the link between moto360 and nexus 6.

More Android N fuckery to come.

Are you trying to use the N preview on your personal phone, or is this on your development device?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It sure does suck that pre-beta software intended only for development devices is buggy!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Carrier branded phones are horrible and bad?! How in the hell am I supposed to buy a phone to use on VZW then?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

redeyes posted:

Carrier branded phones are horrible and bad?! How in the hell am I supposed to buy a phone to use on VZW then?

Both nexus devices from this year and the nexus from last year work on Verizon. Also, the current Moto X pure.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

redeyes posted:

Buy a phone that operates on Verizon's bands.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sorry if this has been asked before recently but what are the best options out there for an S7E case? I'm usually against cases (especially on phones this sexy) but this one seems particularly susceptible to scratches.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

I just got a card from the SA front page on Google Now. Does this mean we're no longer a dead gay forum?

I really shouldn't have clicked on that card:

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Are there international versions of the Galaxy S7 (and Samsung devices in general) which do not lack warranty?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...pe%3A6503240011

Why do they not provide any warranty on those?
Do offerings that do not mention warranty also lack one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...6YAAOSwr7ZW6s~3

Kane fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 28, 2016

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

Are you trying to use the N preview on your personal phone, or is this on your development device?

It's a dev phone. Still doesn't account for its untested nature, it's like testing a new car chassis on journalists without putting wheels on it first.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It's a dev phone. Still doesn't account for its untested nature, it's like testing a new car chassis on journalists without putting wheels on it first.
Don't be ridiculous, it's an alpha. It performs as well as you can expect alpha software to perform.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

"Unstable and missing features" is pretty much the definition of an alpha build, Mr. Poopfister. You're pretty much dealing with a concept car at this point.

azurite fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 28, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, the entire point of making it available now is for (free) testing, isn't it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kane posted:

Are there international versions of the Galaxy S7 (and Samsung devices in general) which do not lack warranty?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...pe%3A6503240011

Why do they not provide any warranty on those?
Do offerings that do not mention warranty also lack one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...6YAAOSwr7ZW6s~3

They don't offer warranties because Samsung only warranties their phones in the territory they're sold in. International models are being bought and sold by an importer.

You can get a third-party warranty from SquareTrade, probably.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Thanks in part to the advice here, I ended up getting a Moto X Pure on Saturday, and I love it. This thing owns bones.

It's faster getting to twitter/feedly/SA etc. than even my desktop, and the moto voice commands are surprisingly good (it had no problem updating me about the status of the Celtics game or telling me when The Night Manager premiers in the states). It's the perfect size to double as a fios & roku remote, has solid speakers, and seems to be integrating flawlessly with all my other devices.

Any sort of cool functionality I should know about that would otherwise be easy to miss?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I always think I've seen the wrong-est post in this thread and then I read the thread the next day and find out I was wrong.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Forever_Peace posted:

Thanks in part to the advice here, I ended up getting a Moto X Pure on Saturday, and I love it. This thing owns bones.

It's faster getting to twitter/feedly/SA etc. than even my desktop, and the moto voice commands are surprisingly good (it had no problem updating me about the status of the Celtics game or telling me when The Night Manager premiers in the states). It's the perfect size to double as a fios & roku remote, has solid speakers, and seems to be integrating flawlessly with all my other devices.

Any sort of cool functionality I should know about that would otherwise be easy to miss?

If you haven't discovered the quick actions yet: chop-chop the phone to turn on the flashlight. Twist the phone a couple times to open the camera.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Forever_Peace posted:

Double twist for camera is the best thing. Also the car mode from Moto is really good, it will read you texts, etc

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ahahahaha

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

If you haven't discovered the quick actions yet: chop-chop the phone to turn on the flashlight. Twist the phone a couple times to open the camera.

The flashlight gesture is the best thing, the camera gesture would be better if it wasn't tied to the Moto camera app, but it's good enough for quick off-the-cuff photos and the shots get stored in the same place the Google camera app stores them so it's really just using a different camera on occasion.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Syrinxx posted:

Double twist for camera is the best thing. Also the car mode from Moto is really good, it will read you texts, etc

The problem I had with the car mode was that it would get confused if another text came in while it was already dealing with one. Otherwise it worked pretty well.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

The problem I had with the car mode was that it would get confused if another text came in while it was already dealing with one. Otherwise it worked pretty well.

Yeah this is one of the annoyances I have with that feature. Obvious solution would be to queue messages until you're finished responding but not sure how easy that would be to implement.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it's a really serious oversight that Google hasn't put text handling while diving into the OS natively. The Moto stuff handles it very well. It even lights up my car's mic to deal with the commands which is great because my phone is usually in my pocket.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?

docbeard posted:

Yeah, the entire point of making it available now is for (free) testing, isn't it?

Thanks.

The last Black Dual Sim that would deliver by Friday was just snagged under me as I hit "pay" on PayPal.
Anyone know if ordering from Singapore to the US would incur any sort of additional customs charge?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Samsung...nVkbPhJ4Ie3xLCA

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it's a really serious oversight that Google hasn't put text handling while diving into the OS natively. The Moto stuff handles it very well. It even lights up my car's mic to deal with the commands which is great because my phone is usually in my pocket.

Given that Android already has an API to determine what the user's doing - walking, cycling, driving etc. - couldn't this be whipped up into an app? If Location Services reports that the user is driving, and [messaging client] reports a message has come in, notify using TTS and ask whether to speak it aloud. Once that's done, ask if the user wants to reply.

...maybe someone at Google honestly thinks 'handles communication while driving' should be a selling point for Android Auto :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That's basically it. Instead of doing their own Car Home Ultra they decided to write Android for head units even though most people would far rather use their phones than their garbage head units.