Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The absolute most disappointing thing was I recall how much they were pimping "the Starcraft 2 engine and editor are amazing, create anything you want in it" and there was a test level that was... a space shooter, I think?

And then that game cratered and I don't know that anything ever came of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Smashcraft came out in the early days of Wings of Liberty and I had a lot of fun with it, but it wasn't really something you couldn't have done in the WC3 editor except for the presentation. That's literally the only custom map I remember, aside from an ill-conceived dota clone. SC2 was such a mess.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

There was a custom map called Warlock that was really fun. It was kind of like WC3 smash bros, you'd walk a little dude around and shoot spells at your opponents and in addition to doing damage they'd apply acceleration to them. The arena was surrounded by lava and got smaller over time, so the second most fun way to kill people tended to be hitting them point blank with some ridiculous spell and launching them clear across the map.

The most fun way, of course, was to have the swap positions spell and hit your opponent with it as soon as they launch you into the lava.

I think there's a standalone clone of it in early access on Steam right now, but I can't find it for the life of me.

The people who made it actually made a version for Dota as well, using its custom game maker

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296662770

al-azad
May 28, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

The absolute most disappointing thing was I recall how much they were pimping "the Starcraft 2 engine and editor are amazing, create anything you want in it" and there was a test level that was... a space shooter, I think?

And then that game cratered and I don't know that anything ever came of that.

Starcraft was the beginning and end of my interest in RTS and where the prototype "MOBA" began. I remember the Aeon of Ancients but even before that there was a map called Golem Assault or something that was basically a football arena and every individual player had their own base which spawned units. Starcraft had RPGs and entire campaigns built around it but I haven't heard about anything neat spawning from Starcraft 2?

The late 90s must have been a weird period for anyone under Sierra On-Line because you saw all these officially licensed 3rd party expansions coming out. Warcraft 2 Beyond the Dark Portal ended up in the Battle Chest and is canon, but Starcraft Insurrection/Retribution and Diablo Hellfire were kind of disowned by Blizzard. And I think it was Sierra that was sued by GT Interactive for putting out these Duke Nukem 3D mega discs which were thousands of fan maps stolen from the internet and pressed onto a disc.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Are there any podcasts that focus on MMOs in general, and not just one specific game?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I thought that was a great crate and crowbar. It's really interesting how youtubers have become this generations "thing". It's weird how music has stopped being that. I wonder when that ended?

I'm perfectly fine with twitch and youtube so I'm not completely out of touch yet but I definitely have a negative reaction too people like pewediepie who must be targeting tweens.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

HMS Boromir posted:

Smashcraft came out in the early days of Wings of Liberty and I had a lot of fun with it, but it wasn't really something you couldn't have done in the WC3 editor except for the presentation. That's literally the only custom map I remember, aside from an ill-conceived dota clone. SC2 was such a mess.

This is funny to me. It's called smashcraft, which makes me think it's a smash brothers clone, which would be incredibly impressive. Then the guy says it's like Street Fighter and I'm slightly more impressed, and the character select thing comes up and I'm super on board by this point. The game loads up and does a neat overhead swoop around the map, and then a match starts and... It's just an RTS/MOBA thing. Which I'm sure is cool but they really set themselves up for disappointment on that one.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I just got round too finishing portal 2. I remember when it came out people said there was some sort of idle thumbs reference at the end? Was it referring too her as a "mute psychopath" or was there some thing else I completely missed?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Jippa posted:

I just got round too finishing portal 2. I remember when it came out people said there was some sort of idle thumbs reference at the end? Was it referring too her as a "mute psychopath" or was there some thing else I completely missed?

This is the first I've heard of an idle thumbs reference (even a possible one) in Portal 2. I know Dota 2 has a reference to the lovely wizard in it somewhere (which is incredible) but I've never heard of one in a Portal.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ja2ke posted:

This is the first I've heard of an idle thumbs reference (even a possible one) in Portal 2. I know Dota 2 has a reference to the lovely wizard in it somewhere (which is incredible) but I've never heard of one in a Portal.

Oh fair enough I must have got confused.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jippa posted:

I'm perfectly fine with twitch and youtube so I'm not completely out of touch yet but I definitely have a negative reaction too people like pewediepie who must be targeting tweens.

Which Britney Spears and The Beatles did not??

Nothing has changed except the way content is delivered. And as entertainers grow older they naturally shift to an older audience that aged with them.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

al-azad posted:

Which Britney Spears and The Beatles did not??

Nothing has changed except the way content is delivered. And as entertainers grow older they naturally shift to an older audience that aged with them.

I think my point was more about how music used to be the thing which parents didn't "get", which showed the generational gap. For some reason these days (I'm guessing the internet) people in the parent age range are just as likely too like the music their kids like.

What seems to be a big disconnect is youtube/twitch "why would you want too watch some one else play a game when you can play one yourself" etc. Is that the new "why would you want too play a football computer game when you could just play football?"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

because lord knows generation x never poo poo its collective pants over justin beiber or one direction.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

because lord knows generation x never poo poo its collective pants over justin beiber or one direction.

Loads of adults listen too them though, that is why they are so succesful. Think of the older generations reactions too things like punk/metal/hiphop/dance music when they first came out. You won't find adults saying one direction "isn't music/just noise".

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Jippa posted:

Loads of adults listen too them though, that is why they are so succesful. Think of the older generations reactions too things like punk/metal/hiphop/dance music when they first came out. You won't find adults saying one direction "isn't music/just noise".

This happened for dubstep though.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Was just listening to last week's VGHD, and if you're still looking for a stalactites/stalagmites mnemonic, Zack, here's how I got taught it as a kid:

When the tights go down, the "mights" go up.

Like you might get to make whoopee when your lady has removed her tights. But also pointy rocks in caves.

Don't gently caress a stalagmite pls people.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
the dictionary doesn't offer any useful mnemonics but have you tried the digmionary

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jippa posted:

I think my point was more about how music used to be the thing which parents didn't "get", which showed the generational gap. For some reason these days (I'm guessing the internet) people in the parent age range are just as likely too like the music their kids like.

What seems to be a big disconnect is youtube/twitch "why would you want too watch some one else play a game when you can play one yourself" etc. Is that the new "why would you want too play a football computer game when you could just play football?"

I don't know know if those two things are comparable, the stereotype has always been "get off your bleep bloop machine and go outside." I guess the disconnect is people don't understand that the video games are a small part of the equation. They're watching Pewdiepie because they like Pewdiepie, video games just happen to be the topic.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Don't gently caress a stalagmite pls people.
I might. That sounds tight.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

al-azad posted:

I don't know know if those two things are comparable, the stereotype has always been "get off your bleep bloop machine and go outside." I guess the disconnect is people don't understand that the video games are a small part of the equation. They're watching Pewdiepie because they like Pewdiepie, video games just happen to be the topic.

That is one variety the other is some thing like dota/counter strike (often the top streams on twitch). Although there are personalities involved you wouldn't watch one of those things unless you enjoyed the games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jippa posted:

That is one variety the other is some thing like dota/counter strike (often the top streams on twitch). Although there are personalities involved you wouldn't watch one of those things unless you enjoyed the games.

I guess in that case you could conflate them to watching professional sports vice playing them. In that case you're watching the best f the best compete and you'll probably never reach their level even if you tried.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This next season of Bonfireside Chat is going to be amazing. I've been playing Dark Souls 3 on Xbone all weekend (thanks to the Japan store trick) and here are some very vague, spoiler-free thoughts on it for those wondering but who are avoiding the main threads for fear of said spoilers.

While I haven't been able to play online (the US Servers are off thus far), the 12 hours I've played have been amazing. It feels like a true sequel to Demons / Dark Souls but with the best mechanics and bits from DS2/Bloodborne refined. It's so nice to have variety and a major sense of exploration back as I found Bloodborne's streamlined world/gameplay to not be as enjoyable. It's great playing with all sorts of characters and having the game feel vastly different depending on build/weapon choice.

The best thing I can say about it (and why it should make for a great Bonfireside Chat Season) is how fantastic and interesting the areas and their relationship to each other are. It feels like you are exploring a dangerous, hosed up, and yet beautiful world instead of just a series of levels. There are so many paths to explore and it's great getting lost and running into crazy poo poo. I've also really enjoyed the NPC story beats.

Assuming online play works great it will be my favorite game in the series outside of the original Dark Souls. Considering I'm really not that far in I'm probably going to just scale back on playing and hold off until the servers go live as I want to be involved in the madness of that.

You know how DLC is typically the best part of any Souls game? This whole game (12 hours in) feels like DLC content.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Man, I might have to avoid this thread for a few months until I put my new PC together and actually play the game. I expect people won't be as cautious with the things they say about the game by like July.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This next season of Bonfireside Chat is going to be amazing. I've been playing Dark Souls 3 on Xbone all weekend (thanks to the Japan store trick) and here are some very vague, spoiler-free thoughts on it for those wondering but who are avoiding the main threads for fear of said spoilers.

While I haven't been able to play online (the US Servers are off thus far), the 12 hours I've played have been amazing. It feels like a true sequel to Demons / Dark Souls but with the best mechanics and bits from DS2/Bloodborne refined. It's so nice to have variety and a major sense of exploration back as I found Bloodborne's streamlined world/gameplay to not be as enjoyable. It's great playing with all sorts of characters and having the game feel vastly different depending on build/weapon choice.

The best thing I can say about it (and why it should make for a great Bonfireside Chat Season) is how fantastic and interesting the areas and their relationship to each other are. It feels like you are exploring a dangerous, hosed up, and yet beautiful world instead of just a series of levels. There are so many paths to explore and it's great getting lost and running into crazy poo poo. I've also really enjoyed the NPC story beats.

Assuming online play works great it will be my favorite game in the series outside of the original Dark Souls. Considering I'm really not that far in I'm probably going to just scale back on playing and hold off until the servers go live as I want to be involved in the madness of that.

You know how DLC is typically the best part of any Souls game? This whole game (12 hours in) feels like DLC content.

I am not angry at you or anyone really, but I kind of think it's funny that:

Film Nerd Journalism: Here is our early review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, completely scrubbed of all plot details or emotional reactions that might give away plot details

Video Game Journalism: HERE'S HOW OUR TEAM BEAT THE FINAL BOSS IN DARK SOULS 3 FOUR MONTHS BEFORE IT CAME OUT WITH EXCLUSIVE VIDEO

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

All that needs to be said about Dark Souls 3, in my oppinion, is that I spent something like 4 hours exploring a single area, never felt like I was just retreading, constantly finding new things, and once I decided I was done and moved on, I asked in the early release thread about something I thought I was having trouble finding in my current area and it turned out I'd missed a chunk in that area I'd spent 4 hours in previously.

The game is incredibly dense (at least early on) and exploration is very satisfying. I'm actually worried if Gary and Kole didn't get early copies that we'll have a much longer wait before the season starts than before, because I've got close to 20 hours in and I'm only 4 bosses in.

This might be better than DkS1, which I don't say lightly because that is currently my favorite game of all time, right up there with Ocarina and SH2.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I am not angry at you or anyone really, but I kind of think it's funny that:

Film Nerd Journalism: Here is our early review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, completely scrubbed of all plot details or emotional reactions that might give away plot details

Video Game Journalism: HERE'S HOW OUR TEAM BEAT THE FINAL BOSS IN DARK SOULS 3 FOUR MONTHS BEFORE IT CAME OUT WITH EXCLUSIVE VIDEO

I'm not a journalist, I'm just some guy sharing impressions. It was reasonably easy to get the game early thanks the xbox store selling NA copies if you purchased it with region set to japan.

Anyways, to go along with Funkmaster, looking back I think one of the things that both Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne missed was the whole "look at a giant world where you can visit all those places you see in the distance" thing that the original Dark Souls had. This game has that in spades.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 28, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I'm not a journalist, I'm just some guy sharing impressions. It was reasonably easy to get the game early thanks the xbox store selling NA copies early if you purchased it with region set to japan.

Anyways, to go along with Funkmaster, looking back I think one of the things that both Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne missed was the whole "look at a giant world where you can visit all those places you see in the distance" thing that the original Dark Souls had. This game has that in spades.

I know, just noting an odd difference in close communities.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

This pleases me greatly to hear. I've been screwing around is DS1 to kill time pre-DS3 (mostly putting down summon signs at the Gargoyles and feeling :3: when I help someone with a Drake sword beat them and then hear the bell ring). This winter was my first time playing through DS2. The controls in DS2 felt better, but god drat do I still love running around the world in DS1 pre-LV and looking around. Every location feeling like an island in DS2 really did feel like they missed the mark on what made the first world so great. The little bit of info that I've heard on podcasts has never really mentioned the interconnectedness, and whether it is more like 1 or 2, so your statement has me back to 100% excited for release.

Also, holy poo poo is it hard to go back to a PS3 controller. Do those sticks travel about 2x as far as they do on the PS4 controller? It would be really great if they released a Prepare to Die version of DS1 and Demon's Souls bundled together on PS4.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
In more C&C stuff. I just went to their forum too look up the name of the game that every one had wish listed but hardly any one had bought. It's the magic circle, I type that into the steam store and low and behold it's on my wishlist also but I seem to have completely erased it from my memory.

Steam is very interesting in that respect, it must be incredibly frustrating for the dev though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The Magic Circle is pretty cool.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hey I know this has only the most tangential connection to this thread but it seems the most likely place to get an answer: can anyone tell me how spoilery the Batman v Superman stuff in the latest episode of Laser Time gets?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

Hey I know this has only the most tangential connection to this thread but it seems the most likely place to get an answer: can anyone tell me how spoilery the Batman v Superman stuff in the latest episode of Laser Time gets?

I am downloading it now and will tell you in like an hour. It wasn't up before I went to work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

G for ground, C for ceiling, how is this hard?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

Answer: very. They just mentioned (what I presume is) the ending and a pretty huge thing I'd heard about before 5 minutes.

If you want to just skip to the upcoming movies bit, the BvS discussion ends at 48:30, I don't know if they reference back afterwards yet.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 29, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have any podcasters in this threads various podcasts been devoured by Stardew yet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Besides dan ryckert

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Captain Invictus posted:

Have any podcasters in this threads various podcasts been devoured by Stardew yet

Retronauts' own Bob Mackey wrote a piece about just that earlier.

So yes.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Stardew Valley really is the greatest. I didn't even hear of the game til a week after a release and now it's almost embarrassing how much time my wife and I have put into it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stardew Valley really is the greatest. I didn't even hear of the game til a week after a release and now it's almost embarrassing how much time my wife and I have put into it.

Just think of when he adds co-op, how much time you'll spend in it...together

If he follows a terraria-like update style(we can only hope), it'll both ensure huge content updates for years to come, as well as constant sales for a long time. The trailer for the final terraria update said it had 16 million sales at that point, so I can only assume it's closer to 20 million now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It really hits all the same notes as Minecraft and Terraria. I speak as the parent of a 7 year old who loves the hell out of this game. The one thing holding it back is the lack of multiplayer. When that's added I'm not sure I'll be able to convince the kid to step away.

• Locked thread